The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MasterWriter 3 will be a subscription based web app only…
Old 3rd April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Good View Post
The question is how long version 2 will keep on working. Getting all your song info out of MasterWriter can be a pain. Someone at Motunation just recently figured out how to extract his own audio files from MasterWriter 2 and it requires decoding base64 content from an xml file. Fun!

Page 4: MasterWriter 3 Released
I hope for a long time. At the moment it works fine under Mavericks and I intend to keep Mavericks for a long time.

I don't need MW as most of you do. I just use it as a dictionary for rhymes and ideas. I don't keep my songs info in there.
Old 3rd February 2017
Here for the gear

YES!
…and Matt at MW certainly has got more than enough $$$ from me.
I'm not "subscribing" to ADOBE or MICROSOFT either. I still own CS3 and that version of Photoshop works just fine for me even on the latest Mac OS and hardware - actually way better than the CC subscription version I used for a year with its constant updates and online notifications nonsense. Exhausting just thinking about it!

For the person above suggesting Adobe could get away with it because they had a monopoly I recommend checking out Manga Studio/Clip Paint Studio Ex ~ which can actually be a much better solution (esp. for non photo graphics) and very reasonably priced for a full license not just a subscription

Back to MasterWriter - Really pissed you can't even see the "upgrade" price until you enter your registration number on their website ~ maybe it runs better on PCs but despite Matt's promises to keep improving the thing tbh it has always felt like a total anachronism running on apple machines reduces the fastest machine to the pace of a MacPlus (from the 1980s)

Quote:
I am not opposed to spending money on good software. I'm merely opposed to paying for the same software over and over again with a monthly subscription plan.
Old 6th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustmedia View Post
I hope for a long time. At the moment it works fine under Mavericks and I intend to keep Mavericks for a long time.

I don't need MW as most of you do. I just use it as a dictionary for rhymes and ideas. I don't keep my songs info in there.
Just an update. Meanwhile I upgraded to El Capitan. And MW2 still works fine.
Old 7th February 2017
Lives for gear

Oh no, now what?
Old 23rd August 2017
Gear Addict

Looking for a rhyming dictionary?

Rhyme Genie.

Much more powerful than any of the free online rhymers, affordable, and the guy who creates it cares about his customers.

Recommended.
Old 20th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonelark View Post

Rhyme Genie.

Much more powerful than any of the free online rhymers, affordable, and the guy who creates it cares about his customers.

Recommended.
Thanks for the hint
Old 21st September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted314 View Post
Learning how to rhyme certainly helps you grow as an artist. It's just kinda songwriting 101; and that's being lenient. It should really be a prerequisite to 101.

It reminds me of the people that bust out a dictionary during Scrabble, because they hope they might find a random word that works.
I used to be heavily involved with a songwriter's constructive crit community. You can often readily tell when someone has been choosing rhymes out of a dictionary. The song content seems to follow the demands of the rhyme rather than the (possible) ideal of the rhyme seeming to rise organically from the song and words.

I don't think there's anything 'wrong' with using a rhyming dictionary and when I first started writing songs I had terrible problems getting used to writing in meter and rhyme because I was coming from a very mid-20th century free verse approach. I spent 6 weeks with a rhyming dictionary from the library (one renewal) and by the end of that I had begun to internalize a rhyme search process that would become more or less unconscious over time.

Essentially it was your basic 'run-the-alphabet' search; but after a while it's pretty unconscious and can seem to happen 'in the background' of your songwriting.

As with other aspects of writing, the more you do, the easier it gets. They used to say of prose writers that you don't really learn to write until after you've written about a million words.
Old 22nd September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonelark View Post

Rhyme Genie.

Recommended.
It was just updated a few days ago. The new Windows version is pretty solid and added some important features: 64-bit, full screen support, Rhyme Genie Plug-In for Windows version of TuneSmith.

I don't know what MasterWriter is up to lately but I doubt their new version looks like this:

Old 26th September 2018
Gear Maniac

Whatever you think of the subscription policy I must say that as a company Masterwriter gets top marks from me. Extremely helpful even for version 2 which actually now is EOL.
Old 5th October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
The question is how long version 2 will keep on working. Getting all your song info out of MasterWriter can be a pain. Someone at Motunation just recently figured out how to extract his own audio files from MasterWriter 2 and it requires decoding base64 content from an xml file. Fun!

Page 4: MasterWriter 3 Released
any chance we can find out how to do that export from your friend!? it would be such an amazing gift to all of us looking to just transfer files.

Many thanks!
Old 4th December 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by howamused View Post
any chance we can find out how to do that export from your friend!? it would be such an amazing gift to all of us looking to just transfer files.

Many thanks!

I haven't verified if it works but the poster on Motunation reported that the backups are in zip format and once unzipped produce a file called Backup.xml with separate audio files. The audio files do not have an extension but are reportedly in aiff format.

The lyrics should be contained within the xml file which can be opened with any xml text editor. He said that this xml file contains 8 tables and wherever there is a tag named 'content' the value is presumedly encoded in base64 and once decoded turns into a standard rtf styled text document.

FYI the next MacOS version will only allow 64-bit software to run so you would not be able to open MasterWriter 2 anymore. You might still be able to open the backup files to access your song catalog.
Old 12th January 2019
Here for the gear
Dam I just returned from Working abroad for a few years and am looking to recapture all my lyrics from MasterWriter. My Macbook is running Mojave which I don't believe V2.0 will work on. Am I totally out of luck here?
Old 27th February 2019
Gear Addict

Mojave might still work but you most certainly won't be able to open MasterWriter in the next version of macOS. Probably a good time to look for alternatives. The new dark mode in Rhyme Genie is pretty awesome and it runs on any macOS of the last 10 years - if you feel nostalgic you can even install the beast on your Pentium III with Windows XP Rhyme Genie - The Ultimate Rhyming Dictionary

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search