The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Listen to my band!
Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

Listen to my band!

Hi all,

I know there are people here who appreciate kick a$$ rock music and I'm looking for objective feedback about my new band. Being so deeply involved with the band makes it hard for me to be objective about it and I'm looking for some outside perspectives. I realize that putting myself out like this makes me vulnerable to flaming and harsh criticism so I ask that folks be cool and refrain from taking cheap shots. What's your honest opinion of the sound & look of the band? Is the music something you would want to listen to? Is it something you would spend $$ to listen to? Or conversely, if your neighbor was playing it would you pay $$ for them to turn it off heh heh?

To those who take the time to listen and provide feedback, positive or negative, your opinion is valued and I thank you! I'm the guitar player & one of the primary songwriters in case it matters. Audio, photos, etc can be found at the links below. Lord help me for the flaming I have just incurred upon myself...!
Noisy Boyz | Real Rock n Roll
https://www.facebook.com/noisyboyzband
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

I think you're music sounds great. Production could be a little better, but still pretty nice.

I think your music sound very hip and indie-pop cool. A nice raw sound that reminds me of bands like Jet.

The problem may be your bands' look. It looks straight out of the 80's and doesn't match the cool sound of the music at all.
Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
I think you're music sounds great. Production could be a little better, but still pretty nice.

I think your music sound very hip and indie-pop cool. A nice raw sound that reminds me of bands like Jet.

The problem may be your bands' look. It looks straight out of the 80's and doesn't match the cool sound of the music at all.
Thanks for your feedback nst7! Regarding the band's look, what kind of look do you envision fitting my band's music? Can you provide examples, perhaps links to pics?
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Addict
Honestly, from a quick perusing through your songs, I think both the band name and look fit your sound to a T. I don't know if it's your intention, but you seem like an 80's rock band through and through. Might as well embrace it. You guys remind me of a compromise between Quiet Riot and Poison.

It's probably not music I'd go out of my way to pay for, but I wouldn't mind you as a house band at a local bar. Throw in some 80's covers too and I bet you'd do a pretty good job getting the women out on the dance floor singing along.

Keep doing what you love, it seems like you're having fun doing it.
Old 18th October 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
Is it something you would spend $$ to listen to?
No.
Old 21st October 2013
Here for the gear

Good feedback guys, much appreciated! Anyone else care to chime in with their opinion of my band?
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Golden Dawn needs singing.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

I like everything except the band pic. Everyone except you tries to look tough but it gets silly. Put on some smiles, because the music smiles. If you played at a bar when I was there, I would be pleased. If I had the album I would not put it on my favorite godlike shelf, but very well on the "hey buddy, listen to this unknown band"-shelf.

Hope that helps. And btw, the guitars are very good with some nice riffing. Your style remind me of Joe Perry.
Old 29th October 2013
Here for the gear

I also thought it had that 80's Joe Perry riffyness to it. Stylistically probably has it's own sub genre / subculture which you can cater to. Being pasts-decade stylistically is not necessarily a bad thing as you see throw back sounds and styles making its way into the mainstream via commercials or movies, and some current bands. But, that seems to be sounds and styles that are more pop like. Not the stuff your playing. It's kick a$S, but wrong decade. Good luck, have fun with your music! We are all very unlikely to get rich & famous with this so have fun with it and play the music you love!
Old 2nd November 2013
Gear Nut

I'm not mad at the sound but I do agree the look could use some work. The stage shots look good but your promo shots look like they were taken in front of a white sheet put up in a garage. I'm not sure who took them (and it's not like the photo quality is BAD), but I would hire a pro photographer who has experience shooting bands/artists/musicians. Their creative input on backgrounds and poses is invaluable and can make or break a photo shoot.

The production value on your recordings isn't bad. I agree it could be better but it's nothing to shrug off either. Sounds better than most. My only gripe about the first song I listened to ("Flying Blind") is it sounds like you guys played it live and possibly not to a click track. The tempo seemed to vary a bit from the intro to the rest of the song and your crash ending wasn't super-tight. Of course, this is my opinion based on your song playing in the background as I type this (I'm listening in my own home studio-treated room with studio monitors and subwoofer). The drums aren't as huge as they could be for a band with your sound and the vocal processing could use some work as well (not keen on the 'verb on the first song and they're not in your face like they should be on a hard rock song, IMO). They're not drowned out but they just don't pop, to me. Guitars sound great, performance and tone. I wouldn't change anything about them, really. And the bass lays a great, solid foundation as well. Not a bad sound but there's always room for improvement. BTW, "Frottage" sounds better, vocally, but the drums still don't sound huge to me. For a sound like your band, I'm thinking Tommy Lee-sounding drums or maybe AC/DC drum sounds from the Razor's Edge album. Just my opinion.

I would buy your music, because I support local and independent artists. I would see your show once or twice, but to keep me coming back, you'd have to really wow me the 2nd time. Not sure how I feel about your band name (I'm not a fan of people using the letter Z in place of an S, because I think it's cheesy) and it doesn't really seem to convey your band's look or sound in a clear manner. It sounds like a poorly thought-out garage band name, in my opinion. I'm really nitpicking here but you asked for honest feedback. Hope this helps!

P.S. "Moonwyld" sounds the best of the first 3 I've listened to, as far as the drums and energy of the overall song go. The drums just sound a bit over-compressed to me and the guitars overshadow the drums because of it. Let 'em breathe a bit and those drums will sound big and beefy.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search