The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Why are country writers talking about Crickets so much???
Old 14th October 2013
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
JeromeMason's Avatar
Why are country writers talking about Crickets so much???

Almost every album that has come out in the past year talks about crickets in multiple songs on the album. Is it just me?? It just seems like there's some weird trend with talking about crickets!
Old 14th October 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
 

It's in the air I guess?
Old 14th October 2013
  #3
Lives for gear
 
pinkheadedbug's Avatar
 

*crickets*
Old 14th October 2013
  #4
Gear Head
 
billby's Avatar
I don't like cricket, no.....I love it

Old 14th October 2013
  #5
they make good eating?
Old 14th October 2013
  #6
Gear Head
 
FoodForSongs's Avatar
Two years ago it was Red Georgia clay and Tan lines..........You can't be creative there they just want more of the same
Old 14th October 2013
  #7
Gear Addict
 
stclair's Avatar
 

it's the death of the music industry, studios can't even afford to get pest control in and bands won't pony up the cash for it either.

i'd recommend a multiband eq, maybe a desser?
Old 16th October 2013
  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodForSongs View Post
Two years ago it was Red Georgia clay and Tan lines..........You can't be creative there they just want more of the same
Kinda like shorty being used ad nauseous in pop songs over a 5 year period. The challenge is to be creative within the format. Not everyone is cut out for that challenge!
Old 21st October 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 
old ghost's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkheadedbug View Post
*crickets*
Ha.
Old 22nd October 2013
  #11
Gear Nut
 

Because you can hear crickets out in the country. Not so much in the city.
Old 22nd October 2013
  #12
Gear Addict
 
stclair's Avatar
 

Crickets because unions have made bees unaffordable

Thanks Obama
Old 24th October 2013
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Herr Weiss's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stclair View Post
Crickets because unions have made bees unaffordable
Old 25th October 2013
  #14
Lives for gear
 
RRCHON's Avatar
It's imagery and when it gets stuck in people's brain as some thing that recalls an emotion or a feeling it sticks for a while, till it gets the tag of being played out.

Just like Cowboy boots, Tractors, Angry Women, Beer, Belt Buckles ect... Nothing makes any of these inanimate objects especially county other than fashion and imagery. None of it has anything to do with being country - just as much as being a coal miner's daughter or a gambler does -- call it lyrical fashion, the first person to mention crickets is a genius of sorts... the others are just UN-inspired (nothing wrong with that - not everyone needs to re-invent the wheel) and like the imagery. I personally can't wait for Country music to stop being re-booted 80s music and move on to something else.
Old 25th October 2013
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Birdland101's Avatar
Walk in with the bowler chaps....
Attached Images
Why are country writers talking about Crickets so much???-cricket.jpg 
Old 25th October 2013
  #16
Moderator
 
Blast9's Avatar
@Birdland... That's a bat... it's just not cricket!

PS Do they mean cicadas? Perhaps (god forbid) it is part of a 17 year cycle.
Old 25th October 2013
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Birdland101's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
@Birdland... That's a bat... it's just not cricket!

PS Do they mean cicadas? Perhaps (god forbid) it is part of a 17 year cycle.
Old 26th October 2013
  #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRCHON View Post
It's imagery and when it gets stuck in people's brain as some thing that recalls an emotion or a feeling it sticks for a while, till it gets the tag of being played out.

Just like Cowboy boots, Tractors, Angry Women, Beer, Belt Buckles ect... Nothing makes any of these inanimate objects especially county other than fashion and imagery. None of it has anything to do with being country - just as much as being a coal miner's daughter or a gambler does -- call it lyrical fashion, the first person to mention crickets is a genius of sorts... the others are just UN-inspired (nothing wrong with that - not everyone needs to re-invent the wheel) and like the imagery. I personally can't wait for Country music to stop being re-booted 80s music and move on to something else.
Good thoughts! Only way country will move on is if people like you write songs that are different and get them cut! Personally none of my cuts in country have had boots tractors or angry women so I could use some help down here!! Clay Mills
Old 28th October 2013
  #19
Lives for gear
here in the actual country / great plains / midwest / south (Oklahoma) these last 3 years have seen utterly ridiculous cricket population explosions during late summer, like really really out of balance with normal.

probably sounds dumb but I'll bet money it leaks over some way or another if even just subconscious.

(even in the cities, most big box style retailers had piles of hundreds of thousands of crickets pushed into corners of the parking lots, etc.)
Old 13th November 2013
  #20
Here for the gear
 

Great post!

I didn't use crickets anywhere in the lyrics, but I did use them as a back drop to my song, Hank State of Mind.

I used the sound of a far off train whistle too.

Hank State of Mind by Rick Cox - YouTube
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump