The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Looking for female vocals, help?
Old 12th October 2013
Here for the gear

Looking for female vocals, help?

Hi, my name's Dan, I'm a 23 year old Songwriter and I'm looking for someone who could sing female vocals on some of my demos.

She would need to have an energetic, youthful voice along the lines of perhaps Taylor Swift, Hayley Williams, artists similar to that.

I can provide backing tracks, and a version with my vocals on to learn the songs, but she would need to be able to record her voice herself and send back the file, then I'll do the rest.

There's no pay but it would be a good experience and a good way to possibly get your voice heard by the A&R I will be sending these songs to, I can always mention your name too if you like

Anyone think they could help? Thanks!

You can hear the first 2 songs here:
https://soundcloud.com/dan_wilkie90

- Dan
Old 12th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwilkie90 View Post
There's no pay but it would be a good experience and a good way to possibly get your voice heard by the A&R I will be sending these songs to, I can always mention your name too if you like

- Dan
I was going to provide you with some links until you said THAT, Dan. I know some singers that are very affordable.

But working for free is an injury, and "experience and exposure" is insulting.

If you're confident about your songwriting, you'll pay someone to add their vocals. Lack of confidence is when you want a freebie. If you're not confident with the song, why should they be? Good luck though.
Old 12th October 2013
IMO, your songs aren't bad, they be great with a female singer. For $65, try Jovana. Just for one song. Then you may feel differently about paying a singer...
Old 12th October 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks for the opinion on the songs. I know what you mean, but the reason I'm not paying is because I have no money! I'm perfectly confident in my songs but I also know that doesn't by any means guarantee that they'll get picked up by an artist. I've found a couple girls who are ok doing it for free and have great voices, but I'm looking out for others too. I'm going to be joining Songlink.com soon and submitting to the posts on there, I'd like to find other similar opportunities too but aren't sure where to look.
Old 12th October 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
the reason I'm not paying is because I have no money!
Then offer her an ownership stake in your song.
Old 12th October 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
I can always mention your name too if you like
What do you mean "if you like"? A freebie makes it almost mandatory that the other person gets something non-monetary in return such as exposure and credits. Freebies are dangerous for songwriters because the singer can come back later and claim that she received nothing up front because she was expecting royalties after the song becomes a hit. If you didn't give her something in return for what she gave you, then there could be problems down the road. It's happened before.

You might want to check into the concept of a "work for hire" contract which is usually how this situation is handled to minimize problems.
Old 12th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
, but the reason I'm not paying is because I have no money!
Your reason of no money is perfectly fine and honest but as the others have pointed out, the way you are communicating your reason will be perceived as amateurish and insulting.

Maybe you're supremely competent in songwriting and know the difference between a G Major and D minor chord. However, the skill you seem to be missing is navigating the social constructs to get people (female vocalists) to help you even though you have no money to offer. The evidence of the deficiency is your statement, "I can always mention your name too if you like" and not being self-aware to realize that it's the kind of throwaway compensation that makes people roll their eyes. They'll instantly dismiss you as a pretender.

A TL;DR to the above that someone else would say is "dude, get a clue".

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search