The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lurker seeks input on collaborations and lyrics.
Old 10th October 2013
Gear interested

Lurker seeks input on collaborations and lyrics.

Hey. I signed up for this forum about a month ago, after searching for a serious songwriting forum with actual participation. Then I lurked, a lot. Usually not signed in. Every time I come I look at the caliber of the people, grow terrified, and just lurk.

Today I am conquering the fear.

I write. I've been writing most of my life, but only recently started on lyrics. I accidentally found a collaborator who puts music to my words. He doesn't mind rewriting words if they don't fit the music he's creating, but gets really tetchy if I suggest the music doesn't suit the song, or if I object to a major lyrical change. Seriously, I don't mind changes to one or two words to get it to flow with the music, but completely rewriting the chorus without discussion? I mind. Especially when it alters the meaning and impact of the lyric.

Anyway, he is good at completing the songs, and I like what he comes up with most of the time. However, I worry about only having one musician to work with. Should a disagreement over treatment go bad, I'm screwed. I am not a musician. I am not a Singer. (Singers don't just sing, they create the perception of the song, they interpret, add life. I'm off key, but even when I'm on, I'm not a Singer. I'm just someone who sings badly.) So, without music and delivery, what I do is just words...

I originally started looking in forums to see if I could find more musicians to work with, people who might have a different take on the songs, could put them into different genres. If I write a country pop song, can they make it pop or is it just going to twang? So, I came here originally to seek collaborators. I'd still like to do that, but you guys are scary!

So, now I am going to post a link to a folder of collaborations (six songs) and ask if anyone will listen (to any or all) and give me your honest opinions on the lyrics and whether those lyrics indicate someone you'd be willing to work with. You are, of course, welcome to comment on the entire songs, including the music. I would post just one song, but I do a range of genres(related) and some could be in genres not represented here.

I appreciate any input I do get, and thanks in advance for even considering this thread.
Old 10th October 2013
Lives for gear

I listened to your six songs, at least partway through each, and feel they are pretty good. They sound fresh in terms of performance and style, maybe something that would fit alt country or Americana. I rate them better than average.

Lyrically they don't exactly jump out at me. Great songs need great lyrical hooks. I didn't find any great hooks in your songs that caught me while listening. But still not bad.

Sincerely, good luck.
Old 10th October 2013
Gear interested

Thanks, Frank. The music and performance is all Stefan. The lack of great lyrical hooks is me. I'll work on that.
Old 11th October 2013
Gear interested
Is this link still up?

As for great hooks: I think that's a job for both of you.

The hook is already within reach if you have great lyrics. Try and instinctively feel for a melody or line that stands up to being repeated a dozen times.
That sticks in your head afterwards...
Old 28th October 2013
Gear interested

No idea what happened to the link. Here it is again.

Frank specifically referenced lyrical hooks, that's me. Stefan writes the music and it's also him you'll hear singing. Some of the songs are intended for female singers, but I'm definitely not who you want to hear singing!

I do appreciate any input, as detailed or general as you wish.
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search