The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is it worth entering songwriting contests?
Old 13th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by stclair View Post
I tried to vote for you brother but kept getting some stupid 'page moved' error doing it via facebook/soundcloud.

Cool track, although you had some intermittent noise I found distracting, could possible be a very clicky clap, almost like you were trying to make parts of it sound sampled not sure if intentional

Best of luck, I personally really really hate popularity contest, I got no time for that crap, I think your work should be judged on it's own merit not because you are a good internet marketer.
Thank you brother
Old 16th February 2014
Gear Nut

I agree too. I hate those popularity contests where the judges only vote from the most popular because think of how many talented musicians and composers that lack the promotion and business side of things are lurking around…

Anyways here's my submission. If you like large choirs, heavy guitars, and synth arpeggios then this might be right up your alley.

Plasma Face Submission
Old 16th February 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godson View Post
and what if you are a PRODUCER? who do you shop the songs to? in any case, the way i see it is... it sounds good to say "don't give your music away" and all that, but while you're waiting on the "big break" you could be gaining valuable relationships, a global fanbase and developing your style by taking advantage of the Soundclouds, Competitions and even Gearslutz of the internet.

that said, if you feel like you've got the next Thriller on your hands - definitely protect it and make sure it gets in the right hands but... if you're not willing to risk losing a song or two you probably wont get heard at all.
Funny how Eminem, Adele, Rob Thomas, Pharrell Williams and Daryl Hall never won any Song Writing Contest. Plus the days of Thriller are gone for ever. No one is putting up those kinds of numbers.
How many artists have went Diamond in the last 5 years?
The business model has changed...
Didn't you get the Memo...
Old 17th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraternalHouse View Post
Funny how Eminem, Adele, Rob Thomas, Pharrell Williams and Daryl Hall never won any Song Writing Contest. Plus the days of Thriller are gone for ever. No one is putting up those kinds of numbers.
How many artists have went Diamond in the last 5 years?
The business model has changed...
Didn't you get the Memo...
i couldn't tell if you were disagreeing with me or....?
Old 17th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma Face View Post
I agree too. I hate those popularity contests where the judges only vote from the most popular because think of how many talented musicians and composers that lack the promotion and business side of things are lurking around…

Anyways here's my submission. If you like large choirs, heavy guitars, and synth arpeggios then this might be right up your alley.

Plasma Face Submission
just listened to it. how did you do that pitch bend on the whole track like that in the intro, if i may ask...?
Old 18th February 2014
Quote:

Best of luck, I personally really really hate popularity contest, I got no time for that crap, I think your work should be judged on it's own merit not because you are a good internet marketer.
This may sound grim, but I have never seen an instance of someone winning in life based off of merit alone. Never!

Even when I succeeded at things in life, it was usually based on me being a favorite candidate, knowing something that the competition did not know, or just being a persistent pain in the neck.

I used to struggle with why merit alone was not enough until I started observing competitions. I realized that almost all competitions are rigged in some aspect because they are judged by other people.

People are not objective. Do not let someone's words fool you into thinking they are. Always watch their actions and reactions.
Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraternalHouse View Post
Plus the days of Thriller are gone for ever. No one is putting up those kinds of numbers.
No one is making that kind of album. Its a picasso.

What we have now is paint by numbers.
Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
This may sound grim, but I have never seen an instance of someone winning in life based off of merit alone. Never!

Even when I succeeded at things in life, it was usually based on me being a favorite candidate, knowing something that the competition did not know, or just being a persistent pain in the neck.

I used to struggle with why merit alone was not enough until I started observing competitions. I realized that almost all competitions are rigged in some aspect because they are judged by other people.

People are not objective. Do not let someone's words fool you into thinking they are. Always watch their actions and reactions.
That is right in many circumstances. When I was younger, I erroneously believed that hard work was the key to success. Fortunately I figured out that in many situations, hard workers are perceived by the elitists of the world to be drones who are good at nothing but hard work. In sum, learn to play the game if you want to go places.

So what works? Work hard (certainly), market yourself well, develop a plan for success, don't let others see your cards, get along with everyone, make no enemies, and strategically kiss ass when needed. And most importantly, engage in life long learning which includes learning about business and human relationships. Learn how to press the right buttons, and learn how to avoid pressing the wrong buttons. And learn who's buttons you need to press, or at least who's wrong buttons could get your head wacked off. And don't be afraid to move on if you are caught in an endless cycle of being a drone. You're already labelled as a fool at that point, so learn and move on.

Also, look smart. But remember that looking smart is not the same as being smart. To look smart, all you need to know is 20% more then your boss in many cases. And learn good verbal skills. That way you can be dumber than the smartest guy in the room and still be perceived as the smartest. Life doesn't work the way the textbooks tell you.
Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear

Yeah, definitely I agree that successful networking is the most important factor. It took me too long to figure that out, too. when I was younger I thought that talent was the most important factor and that it would be enough.

A lot of folks think that just networking is enough, too, but it has to be the right kind of networking. You have to network with the right people--and if you can't connect with the right people at first, and you probably won't be able to, you need to figure out a path to them--and you need to network in the right way, so that you're neither too aggressive nor too laid-back, and you need to approach it with the mindset of appealing to how you can help the other person more than how you can help yourself.

Think about it this way: "If someone were trying to hook up with me to get into some sort of business or non-romantic personal relationship with me, what would make me interested versus what would turn me off?" You need to act in the way towards others that would make you interested.

And if nothing would make you interested, you probably need to work on your misanthropy, which might be linked to personal dissatisfaction, meaning that you might need to work on yourself first--get to a place where you like yourself and your work.
Old 29th March 2014
Lives for gear

I've won a few prizes in song writing contests before. But I would not say it has helped further my career much. The main reason I entered them was to give myself a deadline to have the songs finished. Without deadlines I have a tendency to let things languish unfinished.

I'm a bit surprised to hear what was written earlier about the John Lennon Song Writing Contest (JLSC). My experience with that competition has been entirely different. I know for a fact that my songs were actually listened to. Whether or not they were judged fairly, I can't say. But I was not entirely dissatisfied with the judges' decisions.
Old 30th March 2014
Lives for gear

Song Contests are Arbitrary situation winners most times. Think and ask yourself how much Song Contest Winners actually had their songs on the Top 20 of Billboard?
Old 30th March 2014
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANR2011 View Post
Song Contests are Arbitrary situation winners most times. Think and ask yourself how much Song Contest Winners actually had their songs on the Top 20 of Billboard?
cough

American Authors

cough

I'd love to know if there were any shenanigans involved though.

I watched a few comps for a while and seen a lot of winners with pretty average songs to be honest. But also seen up and comers like NZ's Kimbra win.

There was also a weird case of involving Australias Guy Sebastian.

It was strange to me because he entered the song Battle Scars in the International Song comp and won in the R&B category, by that time it had already charted 9x platinum in Australia.....

Already a huge song, but why would an already established artist enter a 40$ competition, is there something fishy here too?
Old 2nd April 2014
Gear Addict

Songwriting competitions by reputable organizations aren't a bad idea; especially if you don't have to pay a fee (that's even better, but not as popular).

I entered a couple of contests and got some awesome contacts. My songs were reviewed on a one by one basis in person with some big name people in the music industry years ago...competitions are really good for contacts, but the thing is, a contact is worth about as much as you use it - to which, silly me, I didn't bother making use of them.

If you win, or make it to the final round, it can be a blessing, but again, only if you make use of the opportunity. If not, you're just wasting your time and everybody else's.
Old 2nd April 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by troiontroi View Post
May I ask if it is worth entering the songwriting contests. There are many contests, as can be seen in this list.

The ASCAP Resource Guide: Songwriting Competitions

Would it lead you to a more successful career?

My sincere thanks,
And thanks for this!
Old 2nd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AldenW View Post
Only if you win.

Not terribly helpful, but kind of true.
Lol I completely agree. A massive waste of time IMO....unless you win
Old 3rd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by icansing4real View Post
Songwriting competitions by reputable organizations aren't a bad idea; especially if you don't have to pay a fee (that's even better, but not as popular).

I entered a couple of contests and got some awesome contacts. My songs were reviewed on a one by one basis in person with some big name people in the music industry years ago...competitions are really good for contacts, but the thing is, a contact is worth about as much as you use it - to which, silly me, I didn't bother making use of them.

If you win, or make it to the final round, it can be a blessing, but again, only if you make use of the opportunity. If not, you're just wasting your time and everybody else's.
IMO This is extremely true. Winning is what counts and nothing else because there maybe some sort of financial reward and endorsements but I believe in the financial aspects of things as the primary beneficial factor.

Connections are the 2nd best thing as well as networking but after being involed in Music over 25 years on the business side of things from deejaying in my high school days later producing in my late 20's. This business has shown me that its truly a rollercoaster ride concerning opportunities. Fortunately, being a producer and behind the scenes with composing music and song writing credits I learned that I can still push what I'm doing into my 50's if I chose. And knowing that the level competition is recognizable and fiercer then ever some contacts faded away whiles others quit and established families and some from my deejaying days even had kids who are now having kids so the determined will strive on whiles some fad away just as those connections who talk on both sides of their face fronting and promising greatness. .but never pan out.

Contests for Music and Songwriting are a business and profitable ones mainly for the ones conducting it which is why I've always suggested that the younger artist striving for greatness and success never waste their time or entry fee money which thr majority doesn't ever see again. And concentrate more on making it because the forefront artist's usually have a time clock ticking within the commercial Billboard levels of Music regarding the majority!
Old 3rd April 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANR2011 View Post
IMO This is extremely true. Winning is what counts and nothing else because there maybe some sort of financial reward and endorsements but I believe in the financial aspects of things as the primary beneficial factor.

Connections are the 2nd best thing as well as networking but after being involed in Music over 25 years on the business side of things from deejaying in my high school days later producing in my late 20's. This business has shown me that its truly a rollercoaster ride concerning opportunities. Fortunately, being a producer and behind the scenes with composing music and song writing credits I learned that I can still push what I'm doing into my 50's if I chose. And knowing that the level competition is recognizable and fiercer then ever some contacts faded away whiles others quit and established families and some from my deejaying days even had kids who are now having kids so the determined will strive on whiles some fad away just as those connections who talk on both sides of their face fronting and promising greatness. .but never pan out.

Contests for Music and Songwriting are a business and profitable ones mainly for the ones conducting it which is why I've always suggested that the younger artist striving for greatness and success never waste their time or entry fee money which thr majority doesn't ever see again. And concentrate more on making it because the forefront artist's usually have a time clock ticking within the commercial Billboard levels of Music regarding the majority!
You're right. I still believe though that contacts are only as good as your use of them, and also the power and credibility that contact wields in an every-changing industry. A lot of folks are in it for a minute, and then as you say, they drop out. I was one of them. : )

But having had the good fortune (under an old alias) to come in a close 2nd on one, and among the top 7 in another (we were all considered winners), I had wonderful opportunities and met a lot of good contacts in the biz, plus got feedback, invaluable feedback...though I distinctly remember this one head honcho telling me I was a better songwriter than I was a singer LOL. Albeit, it wasn't completely true, because I wasn't showing my true vocal ability at the time (my tracks had that Toni Braxton/Baby Face vibe which I felt did not mean I should over sing and show off vocal dynamics and hit Mariah Carey whistle notes just for the sake of showing off) - just had to clear that up. : )

But my point is, I received a lot of good feedback and had a chance to network, which is never a waste of time in this who-you-know business. Those were the only 2 contests I entered because they seemed legit, and they were.

Only thing is, like I said, I dropped out shortly thereafter. I was a quitter. I didn't want to put in the work. Wanted it to be easy and happen fast, which AIN'T the norm!!!

I am going to enter some songwriting contests as soon as I have some worthy material. They are definitely worthwhile. Any songwriters out there, it's a chance to get feedback from credible folks in the biz, and as you said - make some cash!
Old 3rd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by icansing4real View Post
I am going to enter some songwriting contests as soon as I have some worthy material. They are definitely worthwhile. Any songwriters out there, it's a chance to get feedback from credible folks in the biz, and as you said - make some cash!
I'll probably enter some again as well at some point. The problem is, I really hate to spoil my record: I've thus far had over a 1000% return on my investment in entry fees. That's just not sustainable!
Old 4th April 2014
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
I'll probably enter some again as well at some point. The problem is, I really hate to spoil my record: I've thus far had over a 1000% return on my investment in entry fees. That's just not sustainable!
Why not build a career on selling copies of Sibelius?!
Old 4th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why not build a career on selling copies of Sibelius?!

So you read that before I deleted it? It's true, though. I won three copies of Sibelius from the JLSC! Selling two of them added 600€ cash "profit" to the venture.

But still, I wouldn't want to push my luck. I will likely choose a different competition next time.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

If you are a positive thinker do join the competitions. No harm can come from joining a contest. It's worth the experience. I joined them all and only managed to get up to finals/semi finals, never won a first price. I really enjoyed every step of it. Plus you get to know lots of other songwriters. I think most people try to make contact with producers or companies but getting to know other songwriters and keeping in touch with them is more valuable in the long run. Songwriting can be a lonely world and contests are a good way out of that loneliness.

C'mon do join. It's really good fun.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeYoldas View Post
No harm can come from joining a contest. It's worth the experience.

C'mon do join. It's really good fun.
The only harm is on your bank book even at $50 or $20 what ever it cost to enter. Regardless it's good money spent on a arbitrary fixed event 99.9% of the times because they already have the winner chosen in their corner. Only to give false hope to the sicker who enter believing they have hopes on winning. Think about this... let's say a million people see the advertisement for the contest in their email while 25% decide to enter the contest (250k). @ $50/entry that's $12.5 Million (Clerical staff paid $2.5 Million) whiles the event holder walks away with $10 Million. Nice profit from a sicker pool if you ask me.

Anyone using common sense these days will see that there's Alot of other ways their money can be spent towards their music careers excelling.!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Just recently I met this guy who hosts these songwriter workshop events and he said, "It's normally limited to Berklee grads, we're a tight-knit group, but we might make an exception," and he mentioned that some of these people had won or had finalists in some contests. I realized right then that there are two kinds of songwriters. The kind that work on being accepted by other songwriters, and the kind that work on building an audience.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

if youre an amateur (or using an unknown alias) and its entirely free to enter, has big cash, gear and label prizes on offer and does not require original material (i.e., a remix contest as opposed to submitting original songs), then yes. otherwise haaaaaayyyell no! run fast and far fella....
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Some of these things are money makers for the sponsor more than anything. Others are quite significant in terms of prizes. Choose carefully. Also, I prefer a contest w/o a fee.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search