The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Writing Lyrics
Old 2nd October 2012
Gear Head

Writing Lyrics

Do some of you just write down lyrics before you have a melody or instrumental? I was told you're supposed to have an instrumental before you had lyrics.
Is it possible to write down lyrics and then send the words to a instrumentalist and have them do the arrangement to complete the song?
Old 2nd October 2012
Gear Nut

i write down lyrics without music, music without lyrics, both together - whatever inspiration hits, just go with it. there aren't any 'rules' on this.
Old 2nd October 2012
Lives for gear
I always write lyrics first. There are people who do the opposite. There's no hard and fast rule or "best" way. Do what works for you.
Old 2nd October 2012
Gear Head

That's good. Because I always found it impossible to hear an instrumental and then write the words. Thanks for your help.
Old 2nd October 2012
Gear Maniac

try both and see which one is best for you
Old 2nd October 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovenara View Post
try both and see which one is best for you
Writing down the words first is easier for me. Would love to find someone who could come up with the music.
Old 2nd October 2012
Lives for gear

Can you play any instrument? Say you have a line like:

"I haven't got the faintest idea"

That's 8 syllables. Pick up your instrument of choice and play an 8-note phrase over top your chord progression. Just like you're soloing. Now mute that solo and just sing that same 8-note melody using your lyrics. That's all there is to it.
Old 2nd October 2012
Gear Head

I don't know how to play an instrument
Old 2nd October 2012
Lives for gear

You are a lyrist, write your words and then start singing them. As you do you may edit some of the words and slightly change others to fit.
for example in the verse above "I haven't got the faintest idea". You could delete "got" to "I haven't the faintest idea" and it might flow better for you.
record your vocal melody.
With computer and even a free syth you could start to work out your melody by ear.
To help sing your melody you can hold down a one note atmospheric pad. Use a note that is natural for your voice and the melody will be easier to get.
Old 2nd October 2012
Gear Head

I've thought of doing that but I can't sing at all. It'd be nice if I could hum the melody and then find someone for the instrumental.
Old 2nd October 2012
Gear Nut

i like to have the music before i attempt lyrics. this new singer im playing with doesn't know how to play any instruments and NEEDS music to create lyrics. so, i've been showing him chords on the guitar and he says that its showing him a whole new world of music. what im saying is; maybe pickup a cheap guitar or piano and start making noise with it.

or find your other songwriting half. for example, with this new singer; i can play something and he can fit words to it. on the other hand, he can give me a melody and i can figure out some riff and we just march to the beat.
Old 7th March 2019
Here for the gear

some of my lyrics I've tried to write approx 5y ago
note: English is not my native
it's so bad?

Calm down yourself
You selfish bitch
And don't be drown
For me to reach
You'll never can
Don't even try
To pull me back
Your soul is dry
So don't awake
This holy hate
It's better die
Than live this fate
Make it unjoined
Just burn brain link
You choose this kind
..of end - enjoy it

And another one:

All over of this time
I'm thinkn' of my life
It seems like live in place
With just only empty space

And I'm tryin' to revise
Break this chains of ice
To escape this ****in' prison
But I have only the reason

Who can help me make it clear
When all minds are live in fear
People hopes it will be God
They don't know that he forgot

The solution has been found
Does't matter how it bound
The result is hard construction
How to bring the world destruction

Yaaaay
Old 8th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoherty View Post
I was told you're supposed to have an instrumental before you had lyrics.
This person who told you that...did he tuck his T-Shirt into his underpants by any chance? Was he known to howl at the moon or sit on the concrete shaving the edges of ten cent bits?

Coz, that's weird.

Old 8th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Yep, there are no rules. I've written one song where the lyrics came first, everything else the music came first. I once fully recorded an EP without any lyrics or song titles. I then drove back and forth to my day job and put lyrics to them. (though I don't recommend writing lyrics long hand while in rush hour traffic)

Whatever works for you.
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoherty View Post
Do some of you just write down lyrics before you have a melody or instrumental? I was told you're supposed to have an instrumental before you had lyrics.
Is it possible to write down lyrics and then send the words to a instrumentalist and have them do the arrangement to complete the song?
The replies here covered it well. Whoever told you that was an ignorant fool. There is no "supposed to" in songwriting. Try diff things and go with what works.

I'm more of a lyricist too; I have plenty of songs without music (yet).

PS when you say "I can't sing," unless you're mute or have some rare vocal problem, I assume you just mean you can't sing well. Doesn't matter. You don't have to use your voice in the final version; just use it to get down the music ideas for melody, etc.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search