The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your "finished" demos here
Old 19th August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
Still looking for a real lead singer to take over the vocal work but it was still a lot of fun to record. "Take the Heat"

www.soundcloud.com/tkeefe/heat
Sounds professional. Very 80's, but nothing wrong with that. I don't think the vocals are bad but would you be interested in a female having a go at the main vocal? My partner would be interested.
Old 19th August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Sounds professional. Very 80's, but nothing wrong with that. I don't think the vocals are bad but would you be interested in a female having a go at the main vocal? My partner would be interested.
Absolutely, let me know what she would need. Also any songs on my Soundcloud list are open if she would like one that suits her better. PM me and let me know what format she would like the tracks to sing to. In the past I've taken out the lead and harmony vocals and sent a stereo wave file that could be used in most DAWs. Anyway, let me know and we'll see what we can do.
Old 19th August 2015
Lives for gear
I hear Sade, Simply Red and Deacon Blue in some of your stuff, even though that may be not what you are actually going for.
Old 19th August 2015
Lives for gear
Style Council too, infact lots of 80's artists! You are a good song writer.
Old 20th August 2015
Started learning to play my first guitar in the 80's and always enjoyed all the artists you mentioned, still do. I truly appreciate the kind words.
Old 20th August 2015
Here's my new one, hope you guys like it, feedback welcome!!

Old 21st August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamay2003 View Post
Here's my new one, hope you guys like it, feedback welcome!!

Really like this tune.

The crunchy guitar caught me immediately and then the vocals had me hooked.

Love what happens at around 3:15.

Some of the toms caught my attention a bit....fwiw.
Old 21st August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
Really like this tune.

The crunchy guitar caught me immediately and then the vocals had me hooked.

Love what happens at around 3:15.

Some of the toms caught my attention a bit....fwiw.
Thanks for the kind words...I like Zep, so I tend to mix the drums with some power!!
Old 21st August 2015
Lives for gear

Think Of Me - Stewart Bird

Here's one for your review - any criticisms, suggestions, and opinions are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for your time.

https://soundcloud.com/stewart-bird-...loud%3Apublish
Old 21st August 2015
Here for the gear

Just to let you know I've uploaded a new version of my demo and made a playlist to compare it with the previous one:
https://soundcloud.com/unnote/sets/h...arison/s-dp7Xs

The changes are mostly mix related. I tried cleaning up the bass frequencies and adding a little air to the highs. Also, there are some changes to the vocal takes (e.g. replaced the last 'Baby' with 'Lady' and used a different take for the final 'Oh Yeah'). Hope I am moving in the right direction...
Old 22nd August 2015
Lives for gear
Just letting you guys know that Overdose has been selected for the playlist on the BBC Radio Humberside introducing show for tonight (from 8pm). This will be the first time I've had radio play, so I'm really pleased! Could mean it gets picked up for Radio 2 or Radio 1, but that's a long shot.
Old 22nd August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Overdose has been selected for the playlist on the BBC Radio Humberside
Congrats on that.

We all knew it was that good.
Old 22nd August 2015
Quote:
Just letting you guys know that Overdose has been selected for the playlist on the BBC Radio Humberside introducing show for tonight (from 8pm). This will be the first time I've had radio play, so I'm really pleased! Could mean it gets picked up for Radio 2 or Radio 1, but that's a long shot.
Great news, you deserve a good shot!! I've been listening to Overdose over and over, if you get a chance I'd love to know how you got that sound, it's spot on. Vocal mics, DAW? Thanks

Last edited by RKeefe1032; 22nd August 2015 at 07:56 PM..
Old 22nd August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Great news, you deserve a good shot!! I've been listening to Overdose over and over, if you get a chance I'd love to know how you got that sound, it's spot on. Vocal mics, DAW? Thanks
Mic is Peluso 2247SE from about 12". Buzz Audio MA2.2 (tranny output) into BFE BKE3 compressor and possibly Aphex 9901EQ. The rest was produced by someone else.
Old 22nd August 2015
Lives for gear
Spent 2 hours on holiday in Croatia listening to the show. It was in in the last 15 mins! Worth the wait but my partner Jo wasn't mentioned, nor Vad who arranged and co-produced it. Shame about that, as I'm no lime-light seeker!
Old 23rd August 2015
Mr. Funk, your vocals are so smooth, I'm gonna have to get one of these mics. I haven't had the vocal sound I've wanted since running 2" tape. I'm currently using a Blue Kiwi through a UA610 Solo but it doesn't have that big sound you've captured. Love that melodic funk sound, you definitely want to check out "Rit" (Lee Ritenour) Great work and thanks!
Old 23rd August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Mr. Funk, your vocals are so smooth, I'm gonna have to get one of these mics. I haven't had the vocal sound I've wanted since running 2" tape. I'm currently using a Blue Kiwi through a UA610 Solo but it doesn't have that big sound you've captured. Love that melodic funk sound, you definitely want to check out "Rit" (Lee Ritenour) Great work and thanks!
I actually recorded a little too hot, there is some distortion in places. However, it may be pushing the Sowter transformers in the Buzz pre that may have helped with the scale?

If I were you, I'd check out Barbaric Amplification mic's. Tell him you want something big sounding and see what he comes up with. I want one of his BA49 mic's. Great value mic builder.
Old 24th August 2015
Definitely will check him out and maybe need to look into a new preamp. Here's an original tune recorded on Sunday with a bunch old band mates and Martha Lid did some background vocals which was a honor. Still need to revisit the mix when my ears clear out.

The tune had to be remixed, there was some glitch between my computer and Soundcloud that muffled the second verse. I think it might be the known bug with Waves NLS SSL automation but removed it and all is back.

"No Stage Fright"
www.soundcloud.com/tkeefe/no-stage-fright

Last edited by RKeefe1032; 26th August 2015 at 07:26 PM..
Old 25th August 2015
Lives for gear

Some rock n roll for peace. Mixed by James Lugo :)

Hi guys,

This is my little rock n roll effort to hopefully make people in all walks of life think about the path we are on as a nation (referring to the US) and as a world community. We seem to have some leaders who just want perpetual war across the globe and I'm sick of it.
I hope you dig the song and the message and, by all means, throw me any constructive criticism you have.
Thanks for listening,
Steve
Old 25th August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by guittarzzan View Post
Hi guys,

This is my little rock n roll effort to hopefully make people in all walks of life think about the path we are on as a nation (referring to the US) and as a world community. We seem to have some leaders who just want perpetual war across the globe and I'm sick of it.
I hope you dig the song and the message and, by all means, throw me any constructive criticism you have.
Thanks for listening,
Steve
Great presentation!! Really enjoyed the whole video and song. It's certainly an historic fact that musicians have led the way no matter your persuasion. Having lived through the Vietnam war, music was always the backdrop of protest. You're in good company.
Old 27th August 2015
Lives for gear
I think it's a good time for protest songs and social commentary as there is so much to protest and comment about. Plus lots of controversial opinions on hot topics.
Old 29th August 2015
Here for the gear

https://soundcloud.com/valourwinds/ls-theme-b-cover

So this is my modest attempt at a cover of the track of the same name from the anime. I wanted to basically re-create it down to a T, from scratch. I wanted everything from the component sounds, to the mix, to sound identical to the original. Call it perhaps a test, or a feat of mixing prowess..

I was hoping for some really constructive feedback on the mix of my rendition. Do you think it's good? What could it use? Thanks
Old 29th August 2015
Just "finished" a new original tune using EZDrummer 2 for the first time. In the past, I've played my drum tracks on a Roland VDrum set but a newly broken ankle has sent me into Edrum land. It's a really easy program to use and while it's not live playing, I can see why it's so popular.

Had to remix this morning with some fresher ears, way too much reverb and bass buildup before. It's amazing how bad your ears get after listening to the same tune so many times. I guess it's the downside to being the writer, musician, producer and engineer, something is gonna get the short end.

"Was I Wrong"

www.soundcloud.com/tkeefe/wrongg

Last edited by RKeefe1032; 30th August 2015 at 01:42 PM..
Old 30th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great presentation!! Really enjoyed the whole video and song. It's certainly an historic fact that musicians have led the way no matter your persuasion. Having lived through the Vietnam war, music was always the backdrop of protest. You're in good company.
Thanks man. I rarely write political songs, but for any songwriter who pays attention to what's going on in this country and the world, it's hard to stop the writing from just happening. This one is my modern day hippie attempt at getting the leaders of nations to stop being puppets for big bankers and corporations who profit massively off of war and oppression of already oppressed people.

thanks for taking the time to check it out,
Steve

Here's the link again if anyone else is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36gwr25M0Js

Last edited by guittarzzan; 30th August 2015 at 06:06 PM..
Old 30th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guittarzzan View Post
This one is my modern day hippie attempt at getting the leaders of nations to stop being puppets for big bankers and corporations who profit massively off of war and oppression of already oppressed people.
This production is really very good....and it's a powerful message as well. I'm an old 60's hippie and this message still resonates with me. These days, however......I have come to wonder if world peace is even possible. Maybe it's just not that simple.....

Old 30th August 2015
Lives for gear

....so I just keep writing songs that hit closer to home.....

Waiting For My Angel

Old 30th August 2015
Lives for gear

I used to write a lot way back, but for the last 6 years I've mainly been producing records for other artists. Recently, however, I found myself writing a full pop album with a female artist I work with and realized how much I missed writing. One thing led to another and I'm part of a new band again. I'd love to hear some thoughts on this song I wrote, performed on and produced:

Old 30th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerV View Post
I'd love to hear some thoughts on this song I wrote, performed on and produced:

Really good tune. I thoroughly enjoyed listening. Good playing and production.....wonderful vocals.

What is that guitar that starts it off?
Old 30th August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerV View Post
I used to write a lot way back, but for the last 6 years I've mainly been producing records for other artists. Recently, however, I found myself writing a full pop album with a female artist I work with and realized how much I missed writing. One thing led to another and I'm part of a new band again. I'd love to hear some thoughts on this song I wrote, performed on and produced:

Great tune, really enjoyed it! Very catchy tune and the vocal work is spot on!
Old 30th August 2015
Lives for gear
Like it. Voices work really well together.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search