The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your "finished" demos here
Old 3rd August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinrob View Post
and just one last piece of advice (and this is only my opinion) I try to stay away for the use of the word Baby too much.
It is literally impossible to use the word baby too much, in fact I've heard that the ancient hawaiians used only different inflections of the word to comprise their entire language before they saw lava or learned to surf. Just for you Rob...
https://soundcloud.com/bkbirge/who-loves-ya-baby
Old 3rd August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge View Post
It is literally impossible to use the word baby too much, in fact I've heard that the ancient hawaiians used only different inflections of the word to comprise their entire language before they saw lava or learned to surf. Just for you Rob...
https://soundcloud.com/bkbirge/who-loves-ya-baby
Again I said it is only my opinion and my methodology when lyric writing. If you want to use the word baby until the cows come home in your lyrical content, then by all means rock on with your bad self. It's only my opinion. That and $1 may buy a cup of coffee in some impoverished third world country.
Old 3rd August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks a lot my friend. Kind words coming all the way from Bulgaria. Cheers.
I deleted my previous response to your song. In retrospect it could have come off as insensitive and arrogant and that is not me. My apologies.
Old 4th August 2015
Quote:
Again I said it is only my opinion and my methodology when lyric writing. If you want to use the word baby until the cows come home in your lyrical content, then by all means rock on with your bad self. It's only my opinion. That and $1 may buy a cup of coffee in some impoverished third world country.
I hear ya, just pokin' fun a bit at both of us.
Old 4th August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
I hear ya, just pokin' fun a bit at both of us.
No problem my friend. I can be my own worst enemy at times because although I am not trying to come off harsh I don't mince words. I'm very direct and that's not good most times. Im really the furthest thing from arrogant but sometimes my directness can probably come across as condescending. We're all just trying to get better at our craft here and trying to help and encourage one another.
Old 4th August 2015
candy colored tangerine what do u guys think of this?
Old 4th August 2015
Quote:
This is a very good poppy song. The quality sounds like a demo but it gets the point across. Extremely short but it seems to get where it wants to. Nice job. Sounds like everything is a bit over compressed and it makes the track sound dull and a bit lifeless. This track needs to breath. I like it.
thanks rob - love getting feedback, nothing like fresh perspective and i think you're right. appreciate the comment
Old 4th August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameo View Post
Hey, I like the song. Now, as Rockinrob said, you can try to open up the mix a bit and maybe wrap some more ambiance around your voice and the instruments. All in all, good job!
Many thanks for taking the time to listen, i think you're spot on. I'm also pleased you liked it. Am subscribing to this thread
Old 4th August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertluck View Post
https://soundcloud.com/albert-luck/05-summer-fling

Interested in feedback on the above song written last summer which I have been trying to get published.
Albert Luck
The chorus is well written and the BVs work well, the song really starts firing after about a minute. I feel the start needs something more ( or less), I would bring the chugging guitars later and find another sound to drive the start. Even drums and bass with a keyboard line. Perhaps more presence and level on the vocal. Just some thoughts from a single pass. Nice track - could be a summer anthem!
Old 4th August 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmmuir View Post
Quote:
https://soundcloud.com/albert-luck/05-summer-fling

Interested in feedback on the above song written last summer which I have been trying to get published.
Albert Luck
The chorus is well written and the BVs work well, the song really starts firing after about a minute. I feel the start needs something more ( or less), I would bring the chugging guitars later and find another sound to drive the start. Even drums and bass with a keyboard line. Perhaps more presence and level on the vocal. Just some thoughts from a single pass. Nice track - could be a summer anthem!
Thanks for your comments, summer anthem is what I was going for when writing it on the beach last year! I like your track "too tired" especially the unexpected introduction of the other instruments after 15 seconds, would love to hear the full song as I think the main concept has a real feel good factor.
Old 4th August 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
I deleted my previous response to your song. In retrospect it could have come off as insensitive and arrogant and that is not me. My apologies.
You did not have to do that. Nothing arrogant in your comments. In fact, the last thing I want is the song to sound too cheesy (although it is on the pop-ish side)...

So, thank you again...and, guys, feel free to critique the song.

Meanwhile, I am working on several other projects, which are in a lot heavier vein.
Old 4th August 2015
Quote:
You did not have to do that. Nothing arrogant in your comments. In fact, the last thing I want is the song to sound too cheesy (although it is on the pop-ish side)...

So, thank you again...and, guys, feel free to critique the song.

Meanwhile, I am working on several other projects, which are in a lot heavier vein.
You have exactly the right attitude I think. If we are genuinely open to actual feedback (and it's always hard to know if people are) we really can use the different perspectives to improve our craft. Looking forward to checking out your new tunes!
Old 4th August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks for your comments, summer anthem is what I was going for when writing it on the beach last year! I like your track "too tired" especially the unexpected introduction of the other instruments after 15 seconds, would love to hear the full song as I think the main concept has a real feel good factor.
Nice pop song. Really strong chorus. You may want to check the level of those hit hats and possibly use a desser or make a cut around 5-8kHz. They were pretty loud. Nice song though.
Old 4th August 2015
Here for the gear

Last Summer's Debut Music Video for "Maybe"

Check out our first music video! More coming within a month so be sure to Subscribe to our channel for the latest releases!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9hd1iKxFNc
Old 4th August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by letmeclearthatup View Post
candy colored tangerine what do u guys think of this?
First let me say this is a genre that I am not real familiar with and don't really listen to. That being said, I think you've got a couple of good ideas in there but you may want to take those two ideas and match them up with some other changes. It starts getting a bit monotonous and doesn't really draw me in. It just starts sounding like a loop of the same thing. If this is how this genre is done then your spot on. For me as a listener, I am waiting for something to happen and it never does. You may try adding some lead lines or something over the part that comes in after the intro to make it more interesting. Like I said you've got a couple of good ideas here but it just sounds like you took that idea and instead of expanding on it, you just keep repeating it.
Old 4th August 2015
Gear Maniac

candy colored tangerine sounds like a backing track looking for a top line. Add a vocal melody on top of it, and it could be a dance hit. I like it.
Old 5th August 2015
Here for the gear

https://www.reverbnation.com/coletaylor7/songs
Just finished a demo "Don't Chase It" which to me means, poorly mixed in my bedroom with the little knowledge I have about mixing. It's got a bit of a psychedelic feel with some interesting progressions though, maybe someone other than myself will enjoy it haha.
Old 6th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole.taylor View Post
https://www.reverbnation.com/coletaylor7/songs
Just finished a demo "Don't Chase It" which to me means, poorly mixed in my bedroom with the little knowledge I have about mixing. It's got a bit of a psychedelic feel with some interesting progressions though, maybe someone other than myself will enjoy it haha.
I like the signature sound and the alternative rock vibe.

Happy to see you also appreciate great art!
He was my first avatar; my favorite painter, Andrea del Sarto.

Old 6th August 2015
Gear Nut

Original acoustic tune

This is an original progressive bluegrass tune that I have been playing around with. I think it's finished and would like some feedback on it. Thanks.

https://soundcloud.com/bradrosten/second-chances
Old 7th August 2015
Lives for gear

Pretty empty head

Hi guys,

Just finished my first album and would love to get some feedback on some tunes.
James Lugo mixed it and did just a terrible job so cut me some slack. (kidding in case you didn't get that)
Anyway, the first song on the album is titled "Pretty empty head" and you can check it out here: Steven Whitaker | stevenwhitaker.rocks | Lyrics :

My two main complaints are that I wish I were a better singer and that I had done a little more in the instrumental section after the second chorus.

Anyway, thanks for listening and for any constructive criticism you care to share.

cheers,
Steve
Old 7th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guittarzzan View Post
the first song on the album is titled "Pretty empty head" and you can check it out here: Steven Whitaker | stevenwhitaker.rocks | Lyrics :
Great song.......seriously.

Not a bad mix either.....all things considered.
Old 8th August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemander View Post
This is an original progressive bluegrass tune that I have been playing around with. I think it's finished and would like some feedback on it. Thanks.

https://soundcloud.com/bradrosten/second-chances
Really nice feel and some great playing. I'd maybe tighten up that fast run section a bit, seems kind of draggy, but I say that as someone that wouldn't be able to play it half as well as you already do. Real strings instead of the synth strings would push this tune over the edge of awesome.
Old 8th August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by guittarzzan View Post
Hi guys,

Just finished my first album and would love to get some feedback on some tunes.
James Lugo mixed it and did just a terrible job so cut me some slack. (kidding in case you didn't get that)
Anyway, the first song on the album is titled "Pretty empty head" and you can check it out here: Steven Whitaker | stevenwhitaker.rocks | Lyrics :

My two main complaints are that I wish I were a better singer and that I had done a little more in the instrumental section after the second chorus.

Anyway, thanks for listening and for any constructive criticism you care to share.

cheers,
Steve
Diggin' the guitarchestra sounds going on there. This style of rock isn't my cup o' tea usually but it's very well done. Nice 3D action going on, past the speakers.
Old 8th August 2015
Here's a new one (I think? Anyway I'm pretty much done screwin' with it) for the group...

and a couple updates with a conscious effort to specifically include suggestions from this thread...

This one the vocals were too loud relative to the drums...

And this one I was told vocals needed to be more prominent and to lose some of the lower mid mud, here's my attempt at a better mix...
Old 8th August 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Really nice feel and some great playing. I'd maybe tighten up that fast run section a bit, seems kind of draggy, but I say that as someone that wouldn't be able to play it half as well as you already do. Real strings instead of the synth strings would push this tune over the edge of awesome.
Thanks much for the feedback. I agree with that first guitar run section. I had a problem getting that to fit right. I'm going to try to automate some accents on some of the notes and if that doesn't work I'll play it over again.
Old 9th August 2015
Here for the gear
Dris Organica

Feedback welcomed.

https://www.reverbnation.com/drisorganica
Old 9th August 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemander View Post
Thanks much for the feedback. I agree with that first guitar run section. I had a problem getting that to fit right. I'm going to try to automate some accents on some of the notes and if that doesn't work I'll play it over again.
Telemander, this is a really nice tune. I think it would fit in a movie soundtrack.
On the technical side I think you can make some minor improvements:
1. The guitar run part could benefit from more accent on the first note of each run.
2. Maybe you can try adding some tape wow and flutter/wobble to the strings for an even more melancholic feel.
Just my suggestions to improve an already great tune.
Old 9th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
Great song.......seriously.

Not a bad mix either.....all things considered.
Thanks for listening and for the feedback. James did a pretty good of making me sound better than I am.
Old 9th August 2015
Here's a fresh cut, having fun with a b-bender I put on a dano baritone. Guess I should call it the f# bender.
Old 10th August 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Telemander, this is a really nice tune. I think it would fit in a movie soundtrack.
On the technical side I think you can make some minor improvements:
1. The guitar run part could benefit from more accent on the first note of each run.
2. Maybe you can try adding some tape wow and flutter/wobble to the strings for an even more melancholic feel.
Just my suggestions to improve an already great tune.
Thanks for checking the tune out and for your comments. I have never tried adding wow and flutter to anything so I'll try that out and see how it works.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search