The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your "finished" demos here
Old 29th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinrob View Post
So what's wrong with this song??? A little Zeppelin influence maybe, a little bluesy. My latest. This Is The Sound.
https://soundcloud.com/rob-layman/01...-the-sound-mix
Nothing wrong with this one, my friend.

You have a great rock voice and you showcase it well in your writing and producing.
Old 29th July 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
Nothing wrong with this one, my friend.

You have a great rock voice and you showcase it well in your writing and producing.
Thanks as always Steve. You've very kind my friend.
Old 29th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veld View Post
I liked your song quite a lot. I personally think that while the chorus has a great vocal melody - it's simple, but then again, most of the Zeppelin vocal melodies are quite simple - it's missing the little hooks that Led Zeppelin songs were always chock full of - all those catchy guitar licks and other instrumental motifs.
Maybe use a different guitar? The single coil (telecaster sounding chorusy) parts made me think of (modern) country a little, but it has a pretty strong 80's vibe too, maybe a little nirvana influence too? Reminded me of "what is and what should never be" in parts. Good rock voice.
Old 29th July 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by slungshot View Post
Maybe use a different guitar? The single coil (telecaster sounding chorusy) parts made me think of (modern) country a little, but it has a pretty strong 80's vibe too, maybe a little nirvana influence too? Reminded me of "what is and what should never be" in parts. Good rock voice.
Bingo, that was the first thing that came to my mind as I was writing it that it sounded somewhat like What Is and What Should Never be during the verse instrumentation. Not that that is a horrible thing, and it actually is different chording but with the same feel. I initially played the verse part with a LP and it sounded fine but I wanted it to sound just a bit thinner so I used my Strat in the fourth position. Once I realized that it sounded similar to Zep, I made a concerted effort to make the vocal melody not even remotely the same. So it's kinda like it, but yet it has its' own identity as well IMHO. I do at times try to write in the style of certain artists that I admire and have been influenced by as a songwriter. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Thanks again.
Old 29th July 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veld View Post
Speaking of New Wave..

I suspect that the problem with the "publishability" of that song is that it sounds like a band song, through and through. You hear it and you just automatically assume that it's original material by whoever's performing it. Or perhaps it's just me.

Do you have a band?
The band was brought together for this track but thanks for your feedback.
Old 31st July 2015
Here for the gear

Hi, here is a (nearly) finished demo of my first song. I posted the rough demo in the other thread a while ago.

It is a retro style pop-rock piece.The track is not mastered yet.
I have done the recording at home and mixed it myself in the box. I am sure it could be done way better in the studio, especially the vocals...Anyway, I am just an amateur musician with no high hopes.

But I'd be happy to know what you think about the songwriting, performance and production. At this point any feedback would mean a great deal to me.

Thanks and enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/unnote/have-i-been-charmed-demo-v3

Last edited by nameo; 1st August 2015 at 12:47 PM..
Old 1st August 2015
Gear Nut

I just put up a new track down below in my signature...it's 21 minutes long and takes awhile to build so it's not for those with ADHD
Old 1st August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsmith View Post
Not sure i like this but at lest i did something for once!

Thank you! Three minutes of instant happiness with this song. You have a very pleasant voice (made me think of a certain Paul from a certain band from Liverpool) and the vocal FX made us laugh but on the long term they are standing in the way of listening to the song more often.

The folky sound and vibe is a little bit hidden - make it more obvious, use a little less compression on the mix buss and try to do some harmony vocals in your next song.

Thank you sir!
Old 1st August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucks View Post
Thank you! Three minutes of instant happiness with this song. You have a very pleasant voice (made me think of a certain Paul from a certain band from Liverpool) and the vocal FX made us laugh but on the long term they are standing in the way of listening to the song more often.

The folky sound and vibe is a little bit hidden - make it more obvious, use a little less compression on the mix buss and try to do some harmony vocals in your next song.

Thank you sir!
Thanks good advice, it was really just a bit of fun. I think I might go back and add some double tracked vocal. And pull back the stange stuff. I was never really happy with the song. I wrote it at a bad time I'm my life a few years ago when I thought I was losing my mind.
Old 1st August 2015
Quote:
So what's wrong with this song??? A little Zeppelin influence maybe, a little bluesy. My latest. This Is The Sound.
https://soundcloud.com/rob-layman/01...-the-sound-mix
The thing that is wrong with this song is that, we should be listening to this song on the radio, not on the soundcloud. It's a cool song. It's got some LZ vibe on verses but IMO the chorus is a great rock chorus that sounds a little familiar but it doesn't matter....and I have already said this earlier - you have a great rock voice, especially on the high notes.

Good job!
Old 1st August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacCartney View Post
The thing that is wrong with this song is that, we should be listening to this song on the radio, not on the soundcloud. It's a cool song. It's got some LZ vibe on verses but IMO the chorus is a great rock chorus that sounds a little familiar but it doesn't matter....and I have already said this earlier - you have a great rock voice, especially on the high notes.

Good job!
Thanks very much my friend. Thank you very much for giving it a listen.
Old 1st August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:

Good job!
I'm interested to know what you think the chorus sounds like that is familiar. I am not saying that it isn't possible, but I really had nothing in mind when I wrote it. I will admit to hearing the Zep vibe in the verse and playing off of that.
Old 1st August 2015
Quote:
I'm interested to know what you think the chorus sounds like that is familiar. I am not saying that it isn't possible, but I really had nothing in mind when I wrote it. I will admit to hearing the Zep vibe in the verse and playing off of that.
I think that almost every song in this world has some similarities to some other song so don't worry about what I said. The first 5 notes in the chorus reminds me of something that I've heard but I can't name any song, althought I remember the next 2-3 notes after that....

It a great song and IMO you should release it to the world, not just on Soundcloud. Thanks for sharing!
Old 1st August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
I think that almost every song in this world has some similarities to some other song so don't worry about what I said. The first 5 notes in the chorus reminds me of something that I've heard but I can't name any song, althought I remember the next 2-3 notes after that....

It a great song and IMO you should release it to the world, not just on Soundcloud. Thanks for sharing!
I agree. Every melody has been sung before by someone somewhere. Thank you very much for your kind words. I have a good feeling about this song just no distribution method for it other than social media. ✌
Old 1st August 2015
Quote:
I agree. Every melody has been sung before by someone somewhere. Thank you very much for your kind words. I have a good feeling about this song just no distribution method for it other than social media. ✌
Familiar with this thread?

CD Baby vs Tunecore vs Songcast vs Others?
Old 1st August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
No. Thanks very much for this.
Old 2nd August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsmith View Post
Thanks good advice, it was really just a bit of fun. I think I might go back and add some double tracked vocal. And pull back the stange stuff. I was never really happy with the song. I wrote it at a bad time I'm my life a few years ago when I thought I was losing my mind.
I listened to you other songs on Soundcloud and noticed that you are capalble of doing this song muuuuch better! You are very talented
Old 2nd August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucks View Post
I listened to you other songs on Soundcloud and noticed that you are capalble of doing this song muuuuch better! You are very talented
Yeah you are right, i was being lazy, but you know getting somefeed back has really helped, it got me to take it more seriously again.

I resang this song yesterday, ill put some drums to it, maybe a bass line today, shaping up a bit better now.
Old 3rd August 2015
Lives for gear

GearSlutz Collaboration

This song is the result of a GearSlutz collaboration. The song was written by Ned Biddle. Music was also played and recorded by Ned and his colleagues in Boston. He asked me (via PM) if my daughter would record vocals for it. Here in San Diego I recorded my daughter Shelby singing the vox over Ned's instrumental track. Then, through another GS connection, it was sent to JJ of Analog Mastering in Amsterdam where it was mixed and mastered.

It was a lot of fun, got to know some great people and I think the song came out really nice!
Old 3rd August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameo View Post
Hi, here is a (nearly) finished demo of my first song. I posted the rough demo in the other thread a while ago.

It is a retro style pop-rock piece.The track is not mastered yet.
I have done the recording at home and mixed it myself in the box. I am sure it could be done way better in the studio, especially the vocals...Anyway, I am just an amateur musician with no high hopes.

But I'd be happy to know what you think about the songwriting, performance and production. At this point any feedback would mean a great deal to me.

Thanks and enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/unnote/have-i-been-charmed-demo-v3
Hi - thought the singing was great...wonder if the bass is too busy? Maybe you could mellow it out with EQ. good job
Old 3rd August 2015
Quote:
Thanks very much my friend. Thank you very much for giving it a listen.
Nice work here...for me it's reminiscent of soundgarden...not hearing led zep. In any case great heavy rock sound my friend
Old 3rd August 2015
Here's a short track... i think it's powerpop! As always appreciate people taking the time to have a listen and share a thought. Any feedback welcome - also fairly new on soundcloud.com and enjoying it, so happy to connect there
https://soundcloud.com/jjmuirmusic/too-tired
Old 3rd August 2015
Here for the gear

^^^
Thanks very much, jjmmuir!

Now that I think about it, the bass guitar sounds distracting at times. I will try to ease it off.
Old 3rd August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmmuir View Post
Here's a short track... i think it's powerpop! As always appreciate people taking the time to have a listen and share a thought. Any feedback welcome - also fairly new on soundcloud.com and enjoying it, so happy to connect there
This is a very good poppy song. The quality sounds like a demo but it gets the point across. Extremely short but it seems to get where it wants to. Nice job. Sounds like everything is a bit over compressed and it makes the track sound dull and a bit lifeless. This track needs to breath. I like it.
Old 3rd August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Nice work here...for me it's reminiscent of soundgarden...not hearing led zep. In any case great heavy rock sound my friend
Thanks very much. You're the second person who's referenced Soundgarden. Not saying that's a bad thing. I don't know, I've never really listened to much Soundgarden but I definitely don't think my vocals sound like Chris Cornell's. I guess it's just a matter of perspective. Thanks for listening and thanks for your comment.
Old 3rd August 2015
Here for the gear

Rockinrob, as a fan of heavy rock music myself, I can tell you your song is great. The performance is engaging and exciting. It should get more exposure.
Old 3rd August 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hey, I like the song. Now, as Rockinrob said, you can try to open up the mix a bit and maybe wrap some more ambiance around your voice and the instruments. All in all, good job!
Old 3rd August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Rockinrob, as a fan of heavy rock music myself, I can tell you your song is great. The performance is engaging and exciting. It should get more exposure.
Thanks a lot my friend. Kind words coming all the way from Bulgaria. Cheers.
Old 3rd August 2015
Here for the gear

Thank you for you comments, Rockinrob, really appreciate them. Cheers!
Old 3rd August 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thank you for you comments, Rockinrob, really appreciate them. Cheers!
I hope I didn't come across as too critical. I'm really not trying to be. Cheers my friend.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search