The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your "finished" demos here
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed999 ➡️
wow, a bunch of potentially helpful posts! It would be interesting to know who each of your comments is actually aimed at, it's like you're talking to yourself otherwise. Some I can guess, otherwise they could be comments on any number of the preceding posts. Try the Quote button or check the "include the quote" box?
I just assume all of the good comments were about my music, and the critical ones someone else.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
wow, a bunch of potentially helpful posts! It would be interesting to know who each of your comments is actually aimed at, it's like you're talking to yourself otherwise. Some I can guess, otherwise they could be comments on any number of the preceding posts. Try the Quote button or check the "include the quote" box?
Senile?
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss ➡️
Senile?
Close, my wife is, she asks me where I'm going 3 times an hour.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Sorry for my mess.

I had a reply window open way at the bottom of the pages, it was left over from a response to a post that ZED99 from a few weeks ago. So, everything I posted, regardless of the intended target, went to ZED99. Yeah I'm an idiot, and once upon a time I was a Computer expert. All I had to do was find the open reply and close it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolavine ➡️
Close, my wife is, she asks me where I'm going 3 times an hour.
Well, where ARE you going?!
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss ➡️
Senile?
Another post that could be read two ways?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Another post that could be read two ways?

Do you see me seeking feedback on my songs?

~HW
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.c. ➡️
Well, where ARE you going?!
To hell if I don't change my ways, lol!
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people ➡️
Any advice on the mix for this, please?

https://soundcloud.com/user-18690862...of-the-company

Thanks
Very well done, I like the tune.

This is very subjective, but this song seems to only sound good loud, where it demands your attention with presence. When softer it just rolls on it's back and falls into a hole as if asking to be ignored. Of course louder sounds better, that's a brain hardwire, but this song seems to be worst than most.

Can anyone else confirm this, I hate to give bad advice for what could be an artifact of the dream I had last night.

I've tried using EQ and lowering compression to move the volume sweet spot around, on my crap, but I never found the magic.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks UncleLenny above and Owen...it's a real tambourine that I played. I recorded it with a U87 from 2 or so meters away...which sounded really nice compared to what I'd usually do (use an sm57). The actual recording of it sounds really smooth. No eq applied apart from a roll off and large high pass. I could easily adjust it, as you suggest.

Thanks for listening

Interesting. In that case, that would make the performance unusually ... un-live sounding. Are you JUST doing shakes, and no hits? That was the thing that made me think one-shot, rather than performance.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolavine ➡️
Very well done, I like the tune.

This is very subjective, but this song seems to only sound good loud, where it demands your attention with presence. When softer it just rolls on it's back and falls into a hole as if asking to be ignored. Of course louder sounds better, that's a brain hardwire, but this song seems to be worst than most.

Can anyone else confirm this, I hate to give bad advice for what could be an artifact of the dream I had last night.

I've tried using EQ and lowering compression to move the volume sweet spot around, on my crap, but I never found the magic.
Thanks for listening...yeah I dunno about that. There's a few things I want to change here and there based on suggestions and what I'm hearing. As far as the lower volume issue, I wouldn't even know where to start addressing that apart from it being a side-effect related to the entire mix...every decision made. I have heard of the 'check mix quieter/ louder" but to be honest I didn't really do either. I just mixed at the same volume throughout.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen L T ➡️
Interesting. In that case, that would make the performance unusually ... un-live sounding. Are you JUST doing shakes, and no hits? That was the thing that made me think one-shot, rather than performance.
Pretty much I'm just doing whatever sounds right to me as I monitor myself playing the part. To me, tambourine is diabolically hard to play and I admit I find myself just trying to kind of zone out and keep the sound of the tambourine consistent and level. From memory I played it held horizontal out in front with two hands, elbows in, just going up and down, up and down. Trust me, I'd love to be able to play on the money accents, hits and rolls or whatever...but that's far above my pay grade.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pretty much I'm just doing whatever sounds right to me as I monitor myself playing the part. To me, tambourine is diabolically hard to play and I admit I find myself just trying to kind of zone out and keep the sound of the tambourine consistent and level. From memory I played it held horizontal out in front with two hands, elbows in, just going up and down, up and down. Trust me, I'd love to be able to play on the money accents, hits and rolls or whatever...but that's far above my pay grade.
You might be making it difficult for yourself by over thinking it...The way you describe how you played it DOES sound really difficult, but if you just relax, and simply play along loosely, you will find that the tambourine pretty much begins to 'play itself'.... Tambourine in right hand,play 8 notes accenting beat three against your left palm (vertically, as if you're clapping) the tamb will naturally convert the 8th notes into 16ths...you're just clapping along, but with a tambourine in one hand.

Having said all that, the track is really good and I don't think the tambourine is a deal breaker in that respect...if you listen closely to some of the percussion on those early Beatles tracks, it's pretty sloppy yet it works perfectly.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clump ➡️
You might be making it difficult for yourself by over thinking it...The way you describe how you played it DOES sound really difficult, but if you just relax, and simply play along loosely, you will find that the tambourine pretty much begins to 'play itself'.... Tambourine in right hand,play 8 notes accenting beat three against your left palm (vertically, as if you're clapping) the tamb will naturally convert the 8th notes into 16ths...you're just clapping along, but with a tambourine in one hand.

Having said all that, the track is really good and I don't think the tambourine is a deal breaker in that respect...if you listen closely to some of the percussion on those early Beatles tracks, it's pretty sloppy yet it works perfectly.
Thanks for listening and the advice. I have indeed noted some of the Beatles tambourine work though I'm sure their sloppy is light years ahead of my sloppy!

I've tried many different ways with tambourine playing. Sometimes I feel the horizontal way just splits the difference and gets a job done adequately enough for the kind of brightness in the song I think would help. The next song after the one you heard, the one called Mind Your Head, the only way I could get the tambourine close to how I wanted it was to rest it on my knees and literally play it like a drum! It's pretty rough, but ah well.

Having said that...you make it sound easy...and I'll be giving that technique a go in future.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Love You Better, v2

So after my last post I ended up:

- retracking most of the rhythm guitar tracks and the chorus vox
- added a lead guitar part after the 1st chorus.
- recorded some new harmony vox for part c
- changes in the mix have taken place

Personally I like this version a lot better, it feel it carries the vibe of the song from start to beginning!

Consider taking 1st or 2nd listen and let me know if you have any notes?

Happy easter to all!
Attached Files
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Up and down sounds super hard. I totally get where you're coming from - the *one* time in my life (in my 20s) that I tried playing tambourine live when I wasn't playing sax, a really cute girl came up to the stage and went "your tambourine playing is terrible"!

But yeah, up and down will create unnaturally short wave forms, compared to the way it's intended, which is side to side - and also explains why it sounds like a sample: a shaken instrument, the sound is continuous, peaking on the 16ths, but never being cut dead by gravity. Also, the tonal variations are one of the keys to its live feel - getting both brighter and louder. Don't worry about trying to be even, volume wise - you can always stick a limiter with a fast release on it, to bring up the level of the in-between shakes, while getting plenty of change in tone. With my setup, I find being off-axis is optimal, which gets rid of the scratchy lows, and probably helps even out the performance a little.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Here is a new song I just made! Tracked, mixed, and mastered by me

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CNNtGablGyk/
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've been working again with a two mic capture on my Martin 000. This time I put the Peluso 22-251 out in front and stuck the KSM 32 off to the right for some room sound.

Where Are The Angels
https://www.soundclick.com/music/son...ongID=14225576
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg09 ➡️
Here is a new song I just made! Tracked, mixed, and mastered by me

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CNNtGablGyk/
I like it! Got these old feet moving under my desk.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny ➡️
I've been working again with a two mic capture on my Martin 000. This time I put the Peluso 22-251 out in front and stuck the KSM 32 off to the right for some room sound.

Where Are The Angels
This sounds nice I like the width of the guitars and the vocals have a great quality as well! You tracked and recorded all of the instruments?
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Newest song I made the other night! I'm loving my studio these days The money I spent on hardware was worth it because now my plugins sound better from it

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CNVC4vhFWsv/
Lives for gear

The Day William Shatner Dies

Hey there Slutz/Space People.

This is my latest tune, and it's my first with my Eastman E10D and TC M3000. It's also my first fingerstyle song, and it shows. It took a lot of takes to play it reasonably well. This is also my first tune with hardware FX sends in Cubase Pro, and that was certainly a learning experience. Pair that with my love for Totalmix and you've got a recipe for fun!

I'm concerned that this is too loud and in your face. Most of my songs seem quieter than those by others. Your thoughts would be most appreciated.

My inspiration? My local sci-fi channel plays up to sixteen hours a day of the various Star Trek series on the weekdays, and the day I painted my basement they were showing the first six Star Trek films in a row.

I understand William is now 90 years old and has a new movie that's just been released. And yes, he got his start in acting in Ottawa- the rest is history. He is certainly an enigma.

Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOttawa ➡️

This is my latest tune, and it's my first with my Eastman E10D and TC M3000. It's also my first fingerstyle song, and it shows. It took a lot of takes to play it reasonably well. This is also my first tune with hardware FX sends in Cubase Pro, and that was certainly a learning experience. Pair that with my love for Totalmix and you've got a recipe for fun!

I'm concerned that this is too loud and in your face. Most of my songs seem quieter than those by others. Your thoughts would be most appreciated.

My inspiration? My local sci-fi channel plays up to sixteen hours a day of the various Star Trek series on the weekdays, and the day I painted my basement they were showing the first six Star Trek films in a row.

I understand William is now 90 years old and has a new movie that's just been released. And yes, he got his start in acting in Ottawa- the rest is history. He is certainly an enigma.

These lyrics made me smile :-) they're like an antidote to modern day chart lyrics. greatstuff...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOttawa ➡️

This is just great...John Peel would have made this his record of the week, it's definitely mine. Thanks Mike, excellent stuff.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg09 ➡️
This sounds nice I like the width of the guitars and the vocals have a great quality as well! You tracked and recorded all of the instruments?
Thanks for that appreciation. Yep......that's all me.

Martin acoustic went in through a Peluso 22-251 and a Shure KSM 32. Bass is a Gibson EB3 (1969) just DI'd. Keys are through an old Ensonic MR Rack synth module. Electric guitar through a Line 6 Helix.

Is this fun...or what?
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Where Are The Angels
I like this. It's pretty cool. I might have done some doubling on the vocals on the last half of the song, but it's cool without too.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakoda Sada ➡️
These lyrics made me smile :-) they're like an antidote to modern day chart lyrics. greatstuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clump ➡️
This is just great...John Peel would have made this his record of the week, it's definitely mine. Thanks Mike, excellent stuff.
Thank you very much!
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for that appreciation. Yep......that's all me.

Martin acoustic went in through a Peluso 22-251 and a Shure KSM 32. Bass is a Gibson EB3 (1969) just DI'd. Keys are through an old Ensonic MR Rack synth module. Electric guitar through a Line 6 Helix.

Is this fun...or what?
Thats awesome!

I keep telling people that those KSM microphones are great! I wish I still had my old KSM. I regret selling it
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyeguy ➡️
I like this. It's pretty cool. I might have done some doubling on the vocals on the last half of the song, but it's cool without too.
Thanks for that. I had some doubling in there exactly as you mention but I couldn't get it quite right so I followed the old adage......"When in doubt.....cut it out."

Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Hi all, I dropped a mixed 'finished demo' recently. Heavy rock instrumental, experimental, groove, orchestral, samples.

📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…