The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your "finished" demos here
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Addict
Working out my new Genelecs, remixed this joke funk song I did with a band from 2017.

Echo of the Gecko
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by rub1v View Post
Made a song with vocals, hope to get some feedback! https://soundcloud.com/ruben-vike-va.../s-6MSL1XnwlmD
I've been gone and busy but I'm back.

I couldn't get past the repetitive figure from intro until about 40 seconds, and then it didn't get much relief after that. I also think it's a rare song that can make a chorus of the same word repeated over and over. Rock is such a played out thing, you are really talented, find a new direction, avoid repetition, keep the listener interested, you know what to do.
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolavine View Post
I've been gone and busy but I'm back.

I couldn't get past the repetitive figure from intro until about 40 seconds, and then it didn't get much relief after that. I also think it's a rare song that can make a chorus of the same word repeated over and over. Rock is such a played out thing, you are really talented, find a new direction, avoid repetition, keep the listener interested, you know what to do.
Good to see you back Rocky. It's been quiet around here.
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo Fleenor View Post
Here's a tune I've been working on. Still pretty rough around the edges but any feedback would be much appreciated.

Long empty silence at the end of the track oops!
I liked the music, folky, I liked the glock (bell like thing) and the guitar, but the voice got lost in the mix and it suffered from whatever effect got put on the whole recording, was if flangeing or phasing? So it sounded like the voice should have been left out of that, or that the voice was so burred in it it got taken with the effect. And when I heard the line something about LEDs shocking you I gave up on the lyrics.

It's a rare song that can go 6 minutes long, and you've got a lot of filler lyrics ripe for the chopping block.

I have to do that on almost all of my songs cause I tended to write 6 minute songs too. Like killing your kids.

Standard disclaimer, I know nothing, I've never written a hit song, for me a hundred listens for free is going platinum, and my dog is my biggest fan!
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Good to see you back Rocky. It's been quiet around here.
I've been writing, simpler songs with more emotion, might dig back into the spare room studio soon.

Thanks, I liked your last two.
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Finished Demo - Recorded July 27, 2020

Guess you'd call this an "art" project.

In The Lab

In the lab
In the lab
It's time to go in the lab
It's time to concoct
If I have to go in hock
It's time to go in the lab

Mix the goo
Mix the goo
It's time for me to mix the goo
Let it simmer let it cook
I won't let you off the hook
It's time for me to mix the goo

It's a glorious feeling
With a beaker in your mitts
Just to watch the chemical reaction
As my assistant has his fits

Instrumental Break

In the lab
In the lab
Time for me to leave the lab
I don't mean to sound forebode
Cause you know it will explode
Time for me to leave the lab
In the lab

Very brave endless intro!
Outrageous fake accent, what's not to like.
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Very brave endless intro!
Outrageous fake accent, what's not to like.
The whole CD (Mad Scientist) has been a very ambitious project for me. It has stretched me to the max in trying to tell this absurd story and make it strange, interesting and technically decent all at the same time.
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
Let Me Down Slow -- just finished up
Nice tune, well done, nothing flashy, like the use of the catch phrase - hook, harmonica ++. liked the clicky stuff at 1:30 it brinks you out of the daze, nothing new in the story but if that was a problem they could burn 90% of the songs and no one would notice.
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
The whole CD (Mad Scientist) has been a very ambitious project for me. It has stretched me to the max in trying to tell this absurd story and make it strange, interesting and technically decent all at the same time.
Huge amount of movie images to play with, if you can capture the taste of the stale popcorn with whatever the heck that sch-mere they put on it is, you can't go wrong.

I've got one song with a reference to tap dancing 'We're going to the Ritz', the monsters there being the angry parts of me.

I don't write enough to consider a topic album, they would be things like 2020,2019, 1492. It still takes me a month and I have to play through it refine it at least 40 times. I need that much exposure to find the raw spots.

But like everyone in here we love giving birth.
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardumb View Post
Here's a new one we're about to finish mixing this week. Hope you enjoy.

https://soundcloud.com/brian-veil/ma.../s-LJDrXydVN89
Commenting only on the song itself (hard to do with a rough mix like this) it sounds like it's catchy. It appears to be played well. The melody (what I can make of it) also sounds pretty solid. I think there is a lot of potential here, obviously. Please post again when the mix is complete or at least near complete.
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosajjao View Post
Working out my new Genelecs, remixed this joke funk song I did with a band from 2017.

Echo of the Gecko
I like it. Especially the unexpected changes. My only beef is that I can't understand all the lyrics, which I think is important with a song like this. I don't know if it's the speed of the singing or just my ears are bad. It could be a combination of the two.

Either way, really enjoyed this musically.
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice tune, well done, nothing flashy, like the use of the catch phrase - hook, harmonica ++. liked the clicky stuff at 1:30 it brinks you out of the daze, nothing new in the story but if that was a problem they could burn 90% of the songs and no one would notice.
Thanks for listening ...never too flashy --staying in that 90%~~ we hope

Last edited by cjogo; 11th August 2020 at 08:34 PM..
Old 11th August 2020
Here's one I've been working on lately. Think after a few versions, I've got a final on it. Thoughts, comments, criticisms all welcome! Thanks so much! KB
Attached Files

DAWNED MSTR mp3.mp3 (9.82 MB, 398 views)

Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Here's one I've been working on lately. Think after a few versions, I've got a final on it. Thoughts, comments, criticisms all welcome! Thanks so much! KB
Always look forward to hearing your stuff Kenny. This sounds really good. Dual guitars or double tracked and processed differently for each side? The timing is so exact it sounds double tracked.

Anyway, really enjoyed listening to this one.
Old 12th August 2020
Quote:
Always look forward to hearing your stuff Kenny. This sounds really good. Dual guitars or double tracked and processed differently for each side? The timing is so exact it sounds double tracked.

Anyway, really enjoyed listening to this one.
Thank you sir! Always appreciate your comments. And listening to your songs!
Recording notes...
Two acoustics tracks panned out.
A Dobro slide centered
12 string electric centered. All guits mic'd with AKG 451
Nord Hammond DI
Lakland bass DI, Neve 1073
Lead vocal, U87, 1073
Background vocals, SM7, 1073
Drums Mid-Side stereo overhead, Snare SM57, Toms 421, Kick RE20... all through Neves.

Tracked through compressors, Teletronix LA2A, 1176's and Heritage HA 609A
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you sir! Always appreciate your comments. And listening to your songs!
Recording notes...
Two acoustics tracks panned out.
A Dobro slide centered
12 string electric centered. All guits mic'd with AKG 451
Nord Hammond DI
Lakland bass DI, Neve 1073
Lead vocal, U87, 1073
Background vocals, SM7, 1073
Drums Mid-Side stereo overhead, Snare SM57, Toms 421, Kick RE20... all through Neves.
Wow, that is one hell of a setup. I'd have to hoc my house.
Old 12th August 2020
Quote:
Wow, that is one hell of a setup. I'd have to hoc my house.
Haha! Yeah. All funded by the home studio, so it all pays for itself.
But the LA2A and 1176's are gear from work. Don't personally own those. If I was going to buy something new at that level for myself, it would be Tube Tech LCA 2B.
Old 13th August 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
I like it. Especially the unexpected changes. My only beef is that I can't understand all the lyrics, which I think is important with a song like this. I don't know if it's the speed of the singing or just my ears are bad. It could be a combination of the two.

Either way, really enjoyed this musically.
Yeah I can understand the lyric feedback. I'll never get these guys in the studio again for it, so that's out. But I think it was less about the absurdist spectacle of the lyrics and more about the feel of the song. After checking the mix in the car on the car speakers it sounded a little wooly, even though it didn't on any other system. I think using the Vertigo VSM3 sometimes can create a wooliness that you don't hear on headphones or small nearfields, no matter how accurate they are.
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Finished Demo - Recorded Aug 11, 2020

Haven't posted anything in a while so I figured what the heck.

To Dust In The End

It was fun while it lasted
But I think we all knew
That it had to end this way
I am now far past it
Won't waste time being blue
I'll look ahead to another day
Because when all is said and done
It's all to dust in the end

It started out quite simply
Had a plan that could not fail
But it didn't go quite so well
Like a kid awkward and pimply
I now run off holding my tail
But I guess you all could tell
Because when all is said and done
It's all to dust in the end

I gave it my best shot
I gave it all I got
But it blew up in my face
I feel like such a disgrace

Repeat Verse 1

Outro

Old 14th August 2020
Quote:

I think probably my favorite thing you've written of all the things I've heard.
Two suggestions...
-Replace the word "pimply." IDK... Simple? Simply?
-Write a last lyric verse. It's a story that needs a conclusion.
Kudos! Nice stuff, Steven.
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think probably my favorite thing you've written of all the things I've heard.
Two suggestions...
-Replace the word "pimply." IDK... Simple? Simply?
-Write a last lyric verse. It's a story that needs a conclusion.
Kudos! Nice stuff, Steven.
Thanks for the listen and feedback Kenny. Can't use simply because that's what pimply is rhyming with (refer back 3 lines)

I repeated verse 1 using the technique Bobby Goldsboro used in Summer (The First Time). It kind of brings us back to the beginning. Listen to the song when you get a chance. I thought it worked but of course it won't be everybody's cup of tea.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Thanks for the listen and feedback Kenny. Can't use simply because that's what pimply is rhyming with (refer back 3 lines)

I repeated verse 1 using the technique Bobby Goldsboro used in Summer (The First Time). It kind of brings us back to the beginning. Listen to the song when you get a chance. I thought it worked but of course it won't be everybody's cup of tea.
I can see that. Yeah, I'm familiar with that BG song. This feels more like a linear story, but I see your point. Nice tune man! I dig it. If I get time (busy semester) I might have to do a cover. As you have it, it's got a distinct John Lennon vibe, which I like a lot. I normally don't like comparing like that, but this feels like a good song of Lennon's that he never wrote.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Here is a song I did with a couple buddies of mine all recorded in different studios. Love how we can work digitally

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CD2ruds...=117ks6qoa1in6
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardumb View Post
Here's a new one we're about to finish mixing this week. Hope you enjoy.

https://soundcloud.com/brian-veil/ma.../s-LJDrXydVN89
So Punk is still a thing?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Nicely done, rambling verses with no real focus but I liked most of them. The Chorus is not good, the lyrics say nothing and there isn't a hope for an emo catch in that, it's like a chorus for the sake of having a chorus, and it's short too musically and does not change dimension. Why not flesh out the character in the chorus and unite the rambling verses, who would be singing these verses, pain, anguish, joy, missing limbs?

Standard Disclaimer: I know nothing and my dog only likes half my songs.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Haha! Yeah. All funded by the home studio, so it all pays for itself.
But the LA2A and 1176's are gear from work. Don't personally own those. If I was going to buy something new at that level for myself, it would be Tube Tech LCA 2B.
What? A home studio that pays for itself? Do you invite people over, hit them over the head with frying pans and sell their corpses to the dog food factory?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:

To Dust In The End
'''
I liked the irony of it, it's obvious the character isn't over it, even though he says so. That creates tension, the story teller is lying, to himself or the world, but it's a hopeful kind of lie like I'll have this song done in two days.

It's also about never getting over a thing, though in this case you know nothing about the thing, just that it sill is a trauma. Based on my experience the sooner you stop trying to make sense out of a failed relationship the sooner you cross the street saying 'there is nothing to see there'. OK, I got the topic for my next song, bridged off yours.

My characters are honest to a fault, nevermore!
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
So Punk is still a thing?
Punk is about anger/rebellion/etc. Lots to be angry about these days.

Quote:
What? A home studio that pays for itself? Do you invite people over, hit them over the head with frying pans and sell their corpses to the dog food factory?
Obviously you know a certain very quirky film that I found quite entertaining.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg09 View Post
Here is a song I did with a couple buddies of mine all recorded in different studios. Love how we can work digitally

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CD2ruds...=117ks6qoa1in6
Holly Crap, I actually like it, and it was rap.
The first Rapper who also does the last part is really good.
The 2nd guy is way too generic and idiomatic (I know nothing about rap but even I've heard that sort of stuff).
But in contrast with the first, it has great contrast, and shows off the first rapper by comparison, and that works - maybe a bit like a solo part of a song. Contrast in a song, I've never thought about that before, I learned something, thanks.

Blew my mind man!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOttawa View Post
Punk is about anger/rebellion/etc. Lots to be angry about these days.

Obviously you know a certain very quirky film that I found quite entertaining.
I was going to cite that film but where's the fun in that.

"Eating Raoul"
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear