The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your "finished" demos here
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Did some more work on both songs panning, eq, volume etc. Turned the vocals up significantly on bike so should be more listenable.
For some reason there's a big space at the beginning of bike, and at the end of rust. Bike starts around 20 seconds in,
Edit: Attached Rust with wrong baseline. Fixed now
Attached Files

Bike (What You Have Done2).mp3 (4.38 MB, 534 views)

Rust2.mp3 (2.64 MB, 456 views)

Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotWorms View Post
Today's songwriting practice.
Your link is missing. Looking forward to it!
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo Fleenor View Post
Did some more work on both songs panning, eq, volume etc. Turned the vocals up significantly on bike so should be more listenable.
For some reason there's a big space at the beginning of bike, and at the end of rust. Bike starts around 20 seconds in,
Edit: Attached Rust with wrong baseline. Fixed now
Nice work, Arlo, definitely sounding more balanced.

Check your render times when you're exporting. You might be rendering too long in the case of Rust. Not sure about Bike, maybe you cut a part of the intro but didn't render it at the new start point? I've definitely done both of those things before.

Looking forward to hearing more.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugetsu85 View Post
Thanks man, much appreciated. Cool to hear that you feel the gtrs. The signal chain for the guitar tracks is as follows:

1. Ibanez APEX200 7-string (I downtune a half-step from B)
2. Boss Ns2 noise suppressor
3. Seymour Duncan pickup booster
4. MXR 12 band EQ (I cut low end, boost mids)
5. Peavey 6505 120w head; lead channel
6. Two Tones Captor 8
7. Arturia Audiofuse
8. Engl 4x12 XXL impulse response (I mix two sm57s together)
9. EQ and compression in the mix
Taking notes...
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Considering my mixing skill set, I don't think I can get those tracks any more polished. Think I will use those versions as official finished tracks, unless anyone thinks there is something really important that needs to be changed. Thanks to everyone who gave feedback. What a great forum!
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear
Interested to get feedback on this, at least compositionally. I generally do all my stuff from writing to mastering myself, and release via the normal routes for online distro, but I have a 3-song deal for a local release and need to get professional. Two are already done and I'm pretty confident (as they're existing tracks I have years playing live to know they're pretty solid), but I needed a third and new one to record.

So, I wrote this one and did a finished demo of it. I'm not happy with some tonal/mixing issues with the guitar & vocal tracks (a bit boxy by virtue of the high capo, and I can't EQ it out), and I'm losing objectivity on the song in general.

https://craiggibson.bandcamp.com/track/life-to-begin
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
So, I wrote this one and did a finished demo of it.

I like it. Listening on earbuds in my office so no comment on the tone. I'll check it out again tonight in the studio. There is a little extraneous noise at the beginning.

Good song.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Interested to get feedback on this, at least compositionally. I generally do all my stuff from writing to mastering myself, and release via the normal routes for online distro, but I have a 3-song deal for a local release and need to get professional. Two are already done and I'm pretty confident (as they're existing tracks I have years playing live to know they're pretty solid), but I needed a third and new one to record.

So, I wrote this one and did a finished demo of it. I'm not happy with some tonal/mixing issues with the guitar & vocal tracks (a bit boxy by virtue of the high capo, and I can't EQ it out), and I'm losing objectivity on the song in general.

Well, I have decided to make you my project for today because it sounds like you need some help.

I listened to your track and downloaded it (hope you don't mind) and ran it through SPAN just to see what was going on. Audibly, it sounded way too lou but then ears can be deceiving so I wanted to look at the graph.

Here is the raw file

I normally like to keep my stuff around -12 db frequency wise. As you can see, you're pinning the meter in some places.

So I then loaded up Waves Maxxvolume and brought it down about 9 db.

Here's what it looks like after the fact.

Much better.

Now, if you take a close look in that "boxiness" area (350-450) you'll see that it's absolutely fine. Where you're lacking somewhat is in the low end.

Parts of your high end (2-3k and 7-8k) are flirting with a bit of danger but nothing horrible. Again, that's if you bring this thing down around 9 db. Actually, I brought it down 9.3 db.

Point is, there's nothing really boxy about the track. It's just too loud. Now, it's much more pleasant to listen to without getting terrible ear fatigue.

As for the song itself, it's pleasant but there's nothing really all that memorable about it. It doesn't have a really strong hook. I've listened to it 3 times and I can't remember a thing about it other than some guitar picking, which is quite noticeable. That's probably what's causing the 2-3k and 7-8k spikes.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents for whatever they're worth. Please feel free to ignore all of the above as I'm just a total nobody.

Good luck with your release.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

Hey there, I listened to this on my HS8s and the mix sounded too bright to my ears. It is a little bit worrisome as generally stuff dont sound very bright on these speakers at this particular listening spot:

So what I would suggest is you to take another look at the mix and give the top end a soothing treatment. One thing is very important to note: Mixing should always be done with a reference track imported into the DAW session. You should constantly be A/Bing your mix to a reference track you love. If you master your own tracks you should mostly be adjusting the loudness at the mastering stage. Your mix should sound "mastered" in all other respects.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

2 Way River Single

https://youtu.be/-yBffJhUJu8

Check out song hope you like any feedback back would be great.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neftdej View Post

Hi there
Note this is not my type of material. I will say that the chorus needs to soar. It is not differentiated enough and thus the song is monotonous.

The repeating melody is repeated too much. It is very similar to lot of two step melodies.

It sounds like it is recorded ok.
Be safe
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

And the songs just keep on coming! At this rate I'm gonna have an album before this shutdown is lifted!

Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Very cool. Excellent mix.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbvoxx View Post
And the songs just keep on coming! At this rate I'm gonna have an album before this shutdown is lifted!

I will say I love your very straight and rhythmic guitar strumming and riffing within the phrase. Very smooth.
Your voice seems to be a great match for your style as well.

Nice job!
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

Your style reminds me of a legendary Finnish rock band Eppu Normaali:

The snare you are rocking has a bit too much ring to my taste but otherwise sounding pretty good!
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

The song has a nice uplifting vibe, the little riff between the verse parts is a nice touch. Sweet lyrics too. The production sounds okay, but isn't IMHO the strongest part of the track.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Your style reminds me of a legendary Finnish rock band Eppu Normaali:

The snare you are rocking has a bit too much ring to my taste but otherwise sounding pretty good!
Cool. I went with the kit that loaded first on EZ Drummer. Didn't like the honk on the snare at first but it grew on me. I tend to use dryer, woodier snares most of the time but when I listened to the mix in my car the snare worked for me. I also muted out the kit toms and replaced them with some tom samples & busied up the fills a bit more.

The track started life as an acoustic & electric with scratch vocal that a band mate emailed to me a few days ago. He and another friend wrote the lyrics but didn't really have a vocal melody locked in. So I used his guitar tracks and added everything else on my end. Also, I had a good amount of plug in vouchers, discounts, and some freebies from Waves and UA so Last week I purchased the Ampeg Bass Amp plug in from UA, which is pretty awesome, btw, and used that on the bass track, which was a J > DI, ...also got the Abbey Road, Cooper Time Cube, & CLA plug in bundles and am using some of those on this track. The Abbey Road plug ins are great on vocals and acoustics.

Last edited by mbvoxx; 2 days ago at 06:13 PM..
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
The only thing I'd say is that when that kick came in it seemed like it was playing on the 1 and the 3 when it should have been on the 2 and the 4. Or vice versa...I'm not sure. To me it didn't seem fully right. That's just my reaction so take it as you will. I like your work though...the song I mean.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:

I like your style, dude. Nice riff, I like your voice and I like the style of music. The only thing I didn't dig so much was the snare! So ringy!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
The only thing I'd say is that when that kick came in it seemed like it was playing on the 1 and the 3 when it should have been on the 2 and the 4. Or vice versa...I'm not sure. To me it didn't seem fully right. That's just my reaction so take it as you will. I like your work though...the song I mean.
Just listened to the track again. The kick is on 1 and 3 where it normally falls, not that it has to fall on 1 and 3. In this case, it does.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Just listened to the track again. The kick is on 1 and 3 where it normally falls, not that it has to fall on 1 and 3. In this case, it does.
Ok. Yeah sure, I mean I'm not saying I'm right or anything. Creatively you can go with what you feel. Just for me it seemed like the kick wasn't working so great rhythmically. But you know...that's just what I think.
Old 19 hours ago
Gear Nut

Something (cover)

I was very hoarse singing this last year but was on a bit of a deadline. One of my favorite tunes.

https://youtu.be/zGPxej7U8J0
Old 7 hours ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
Ok. Yeah sure, I mean I'm not saying I'm right or anything. Creatively you can go with what you feel. Just for me it seemed like the kick wasn't working so great rhythmically. But you know...that's just what I think.
I agree

Also put together a video for my song Rust if anyone wants to check out: www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M8sPrlu3j8
Old 6 hours ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Hey there, I listened to this on my HS8s and the mix sounded too bright to my ears. It is a little bit worrisome as generally stuff dont sound very bright on these speakers at this particular listening spot:

So what I would suggest is you to take another look at the mix and give the top end a soothing treatment. One thing is very important to note: Mixing should always be done with a reference track imported into the DAW session. You should constantly be A/Bing your mix to a reference track you love. If you master your own tracks you should mostly be adjusting the loudness at the mastering stage. Your mix should sound "mastered" in all other respects.
Thanks, and I know the mix/high end needs massaged...this was finished/mastered but rushed, I try to do a much better job but I'm under a time constraint. I always use reference & do my loudness/limiting at the mastering stage (SoundForge after exporting at -9 db). It is a little bright to me, but not excessively so but that may be a taste/preference thing too.

Mostly I was concerned about the general vibe of the song itself, as this is going to the label for consideration and then I'll re-do all three tracks in studio with a full band.

I felt like this was the strongest song I have in a finished demo of unreleased stuff, but I'll work on cleaning in the mix up before sending it off this week because I want it good enough that the mix isn't distracting, which can happen and I lose objectivity after hearing it over and over.

And, to the comment above about time/kick drum, confused about what I think is being heard, I played it on the 2/4 and it sounds batshit crazy to me, but maybe I'm misunderstanding. It's a 4-chord box about as common as they come for picked patterns, I don't think I'd have a better place to plop the bass drum than on the start of the pattern/return.
Old 2 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo Fleenor View Post
I agree
Also put together a video for my song Rust if anyone wants to check out: www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M8sPrlu3j8
Hey, your songs are very well done. Congratulations.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear