The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your "finished" demos here
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
I love what you do, man. This is a good one.

Thanks Uncle Len! A friend of mine, a bassist, who I sent a copy of this song too, just added a very subtle bass line starting at the second verse, and I just replaced the original file on soundcloud with the new version...

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockabilly69 View Post
Thanks Uncle Len! A friend of mine, a bassist, who I sent a copy of this song too, just added a very subtle bass line starting at the second verse, and I just replaced the original file on soundcloud with the new version...

Sublime stuff!...I can here some Charlie Watts style drumming (circa 'Black& Blue) sitting really nicely with this.

Great song, and great voice!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
Sublime stuff!...I can here some Charlie Watts style drumming (circa 'Black& Blue) sitting really nicely with this.

Great song, and great voice!
Thank you!!!

The bassist is also a drummer, he's coming to my studio (with his vintage Ludwig kit) next week to lay down some drums for this song, and Charlie Watts style is THE STYLE for me

Black And Blue is a great record, and "Memory Motel" and "Fool To Cry" have always been favorites of mine. The Memory Motel, which Jagger is referencing in the song, is in Montauk NY, where I grew up every summer as a child!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you!!!

The bassist is also a drummer, he's coming to my studio (with his vintage Ludwig kit) next week to lay down some drums for this song, and Charlie Watts style is THE STYLE for me

Black And Blue is a great record, and "Memory Motel" and "Fool To Cry" have always been favorites of mine. The Memory Motel, which Jagger is referencing in the song, is in Montauk NY, where I grew up every summer as a child!
"Memory Motel" is one of my faves too...Charlie's playing is excellent, and the drum sound on that track is INCREDIBLE, I think Mick n Keefs production skills are very underated.

I never knew about the Montauk reference, I love these obscure facts!

Can't wait to hear what your friend comes up with!...I have a 1970 Ludwig super classic, sky blue pearl kit, I don't play it these days though, I just gaze at it lovingly.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ear candy. So wonderful, and in all ways. My goodness! You do have a voice to die for, Rockabilly, one of the best I've ever heard.

Quote:
OMG! It's going to get even better?? Oh, Lordy, this is going to be so cool.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
"Memory Motel" is one of my faves too...Charlie's playing is excellent, and the drum sound on that track is INCREDIBLE, I think Mick n Keefs production skills are very underated.

I never knew about the Montauk reference, I love these obscure facts!

Can't wait to hear what your friend comes up with!...I have a 1970 Ludwig super classic, sky blue pearl kit, I don't play it these days though, I just gaze at it lovingly.
Well I hope I inspired you to bust out the drum kit and play some I will make sure I post back with what my buddy comes up with.

Yeah, even before I was into recording (which has been a long time), I remember loving that record's snare and kick sound. And yes I really like the Stones production values. I always like how the guitars wrapped around the vocals, and Charlie would always be slightly behind Keith's rhythm. At first listen it would always sound messy, but with repeated listens, things would reveal themselves and make listening so much fun. If you look a few posts back you can see where someone commented on my song saying the Martin is too loud and it buries my vocals. It was obvious they come from a different production value place, so no need for me to disagree with them, it's just a matter of taste.

I am an unabashed Stones fan, here's my take on one of their great songs...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well I hope I inspired you to bust out the drum kit and play some I will make sure I post back with what my buddy comes up with.

Yeah, even before I was into recording (which has been a long time), I remember loving that record's snare and kick sound. And yes I really like the Stones production values. I always like how the guitars wrapped around the vocals, and Charlie would always be slightly behind Keith's rhythm. At first listen it would always sound messy, but with repeated listens, things would reveal themselves and make listening so much fun. If you look a few posts back you can see where someone commented on my song saying the Martin is too loud and it buries my vocals. It was obvious they come from a different production value place, so no need for me to disagree with them, it's just a matter of taste.

I am an unabashed Stones fan, here's my take on one of their great songs...
Really like that too, love the slower tempo...bet you could do a mean version of 'Wild Horses'...or Gram Parson's 'I'm your toy'...you have a great naturally rootsy sounding voice.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Really like that too, love the slower tempo...bet you could do a mean version of 'Wild Horses'...or Gram Parson's 'I'm your toy'...you have a great naturally rootsy sounding voice.
I've never done I'm Your Toy, but I've sang Wild Horses many times. One day I was singing it at a pretty noisy club that was packed to the rafters with people, and I watched as a girl fought her way to stage to come both tip me and talk to me. Before she even told me her name, she said I was the only one that ever got the feel of that song right, and then she said "I should know, my uncle Jim played the piano on that song", so yes, it was Jim Dickenson's niece, and it made my day, I wanted to tip her (no inuendo implied)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Dickinson

A while back I had to perform a set of covers, so I asked my friend Ryan to come over and learn the song with me, but I didn't teach him the bridge, just a little simple version. This song took about 10 minutes to record. Two times through, the first take was me on lead vocal and ac guitar, the second me on harmony and him on lapsteel, and he used this recording to rehearse for the show.

Last edited by Rockabilly69; 2 weeks ago at 11:29 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
Ear candy. So wonderful, and in all ways. My goodness! You do have a voice to die for, Rockabilly, one of the best I've ever heard.

OMG! It's going to get even better?? Oh, Lordy, this is going to be so cool.
Thanks I only sing because no one else would sing the songs that I liked growing up, and I got tired of lead singers not doing any work, or owning any of their own equipment! So I appreciate your comments, thank you!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've never done I'm Your Toy, but I've sang Wild Horses many times. One day I was singing it at a pretty noisy club that was packed to the rafters with people, and I watched as a girl fought her way to stage to come both tip me and talk to me. Before she even told me her name, she said I was the only one that ever got the feel right of that song right, and then she said "I should know, my uncle Jim played the piano on that song", so yes, it was Jim Dickenson's neice, and it made my day, I wanted to tip her (no inuendo implied)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Dickinson

A while back I had to perform a set of covers, so I asked my friend Ryan to come over and learn the song with me, but I didn't teach him the bridge, just a little simple version. This song took about 10 minutes to record. Two times through, the first take was me on lead vocal and ac guitar, the second me on harmony and him on lapsteel, and he used this recording to rehearse for the show.

I knew it! I knew you'd nail that track, that's a beautiful interpretation....you really should give 'I'm your toy' a crack (Elvis Costello does a good version)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I knew it! I knew you'd nail that track, that's a beautiful interpretation....you really should give 'I'm your toy' a crack (Elvis Costello does a good version)
The next time I get together with my buddy maybe we'll knock out a version for you!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
The Greatest Song That's Ever Been Written

Here's one I've been working on the last several days.

https://soundcloud.com/joesrockband/...been-written-2

Last edited by iluvstrats; 2 weeks ago at 07:32 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:

Prob. just my mood, but this one seems more serious than the last one, did you up the level of the vocals in this mix?
But it's like an experiment in subjectivity. Comparing this to what is just an impression, and I'm on a different computer with other headphones, what reality can such a feeling have?
I think I liked it better, less serious, whatever the heck that means.

I'm having to relearn how to play the bass again as my last attempt was so sloppy, it makes so much difference in how a song sounds while mostly flying under the radar, but that isn't the difference I hear in the song.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolavine View Post
Prob. just my mood, but this one seems more serious than the last one, did you up the level of the vocals in this mix?
But it's like an experiment in subjectivity. Comparing this to what is just an impression, and I'm on a different computer with other headphones, what reality can such a feeling have?
I think I liked it better, less serious, whatever the heck that means.

I'm having to relearn how to play the bass again as my last attempt was so sloppy, it makes so much difference in how a song sounds while mostly flying under the radar, but that isn't the difference I hear in the song.
No I didn't change any levels other than adding the bass track which comes in on the second verse, but when the bass comes in, it could be triggering the compressors on the mix buss changing the overall mix there too. I should have checked that before posting.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Posted this in the 'Rough demos' thread some time back, it's since been remixed by my friend who co wrote it with me...sounds pretty much the same as it did previously to me...probably no point in messing with it any further.
Attached Files

GoneE.mp3 (3.85 MB, 208 views)

Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Posted this in the 'Rough demos' thread some time back, it's since been remixed by my friend who co wrote it with me...sounds pretty much the same as it did previously to me...probably no point in messing with it any further.
Very catchy tune and a great voice!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOttawa View Post
Very catchy tune and a great voice!
Thank you Mike!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Love it, very nicely done, uplifting.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
Love it, very nicely done, uplifting.
Thanks Zyz...it's got to that point of over familiarity where I'm struggling to hear it any longer.
Old 2 weeks ago

Finalising mixes for my album.
How is the balance on this?
Any thoughts about the sound, the arrangement is finished at this point so although any criticism is welcome it will not be possible to change that.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
No I didn't change any levels other than adding the bass track which comes in on the second verse, but when the bass comes in, it could be triggering the compressors on the mix buss changing the overall mix there too. I should have checked that before posting.
Prob. all in my mind, ya know where I keep all my crap, lol.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:

Any thoughts about the sound, the arrangement is finished at this point so although any criticism is welcome it will not be possible to change that.
holy Crap, what a fantastic creation!
Planting Wayne's Word, 'I'm not worthy' bombs in your general direction.

What the Beatles might have made Instead of the the White Album, If they still cared about anything but acting out their anger at each other (I don't know if that is true, but .....). I've never heard better emotion in your voice, where has that voice been hiding, and here it is, loud and proud and and harmony singing, and a < 5 minute novel of a frickin song, well crafted. Loved the chorus, the production, and of course I'm jealous as hell.

What would be worse than something this good not making it?

Oh, I was on my laptop with a good pair of Grado's on.

Bravo
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
holy Crap, what a fantastic creation!
Planting Wayne's Word, 'I'm not worthy' bombs in your general direction.

What the Beatles might have made Instead of the the White Album, If they still cared about anything but acting out their anger at each other (I don't know if that is true, but .....). I've never heard better emotion in your voice, where has that voice been hiding, and here it is, loud and proud and and harmony singing, and a < 5 minute novel of a frickin song, well crafted. Loved the chorus, the production, and of course I'm jealous as hell.

What would be worse than something this good not making it?

Oh, I was on my laptop with a good pair of Grado's on.

Bravo
I take it that it sounds ok then. lol

Thanks a ton Rocky, you give me so much confidence.
I sweated loads over the track which is about losing loved ones in the 80s aids epidemic which devastated me and my musical friends, so yes, lots of emotion.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Can't fault anything at all about that track Zyz, everything I love about pop music is in there...an hear a McCartney influence in the top line, and musically it sounds like something Travis might have done. Love it.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Can't fault anything at all about that track Zyz, everything I love about pop music is in there...an hear a McCartney influence in the top line, and musically it sounds like something Travis might have done. Love it.
Thanks, I am really happy that you liked it.
I hadn’t heard the McCartney influence but I am so immersed in the Beatles generally that they are always going to be an influence I guess.
I loved the first couple of Travis albums but haven’t heard anything from them recently.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Great tune, well done, nice guitar work and good vocals. On my pretty good dac'd laptop with a good pair of Grado Headphones, I couldn't make out all the words, and at a point gave up as it was too much work. Maybe you don't care, and I have well preserved but ancient ears. The bass work was really good too. But I suspect you cared about the the lyrics and mixed it on something that sounds pretty different than what i used.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great tune, well done, nice guitar work and good vocals. On my pretty good dac'd laptop with a good pair of Grado Headphones, I couldn't make out all the words, and at a point gave up as it was too much work. Maybe you don't care, and I have well preserved but ancient ears. The bass work was really good too. But I suspect you cared about the the lyrics and mixed it on something that sounds pretty different than what i used.
Thank you Rocky...I think the vocals are slightly lost too, but I just put it down to my 'deaf in one ear' thing.

I'm not particularly proud of the lyrics to be honest, they were written almost 30 years ago so seemed pointless to change them...here they are for you:

I see your fingers turning numb
It's the length of time you've holding on
Time and tide wait for no one, including you
Words will condemn you, your own mouth the prosecution witness
Kicking the chair from under you
But you know I love the way you smile, the way you break down and cry
Maybe you'll cheer up if you find me gone
If you find me gone, that's alright, that's alright, maybe I'll just be gone.

I hear you singing to yourself, songs of melancholy
And I know if I was stronger, I'd sing along
But maybe I'll slip and slide away, across the busy highway
Unseen and off into the night
you know I love the way you speak, the way you close your eyes and speak
Maybe you'll wake up and find me gone
You might find me gone, that's alright, that's alright, I'll just be gone

Instrumental

You know I love the way you speak, the way you close your eyes and speak
you might find me gone, that's alright, that's alright, I'll just be gone
maybe I'll just be gone.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Thank you Rocky...I think the vocals are slightly lost too, but I just put it down to my 'deaf in one ear' thing.

I'm not particularly proud of the lyrics to be honest, they were written almost 30 years ago so seemed pointless to change them...here they are for you:

I see your fingers turning numb
It's the length of time you've holding on
Time and tide wait for no one, including you
Words will condemn you, your own mouth the prosecution witness
Kicking the chair from under you
But you know I love the way you smile, the way you break down and cry
Maybe you'll cheer up if you find me gone
If you find me gone, that's alright, that's alright, maybe I'll just be gone.

I hear you singing to yourself, songs of melancholy
And I know if I was stronger, I'd sing along
But maybe I'll slip and slide away, across the busy highway
Unseen and off into the night
you know I love the way you speak, the way you close your eyes and speak
You might find me gone, that's alright, that's alright, I'll just be gone

Instrumental

You know I love the way you speak, the way you close your eyes and speak
you might find me gone, that's alright, that's alright, I'll just be gone
maybe I'll just be gone.
Strangely, listening on my iPhone through my EarPods I could hear the lyrics just fine.
I think they are very good by the way.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Strangely, listening on my iPhone through my EarPods I could hear the lyrics just fine.
I think they are very good by the way.
Again, thank you Zyz, all of this helps a lot with confidence building going forward.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Almost cried recording this: https://soundcloud.com/somasumusic/heal-afternoon

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search