The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your "finished" demos here
Old 27th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowcando View Post
Hi friends, just looking for some feedback on this very simple song/mix. Just two guitars and 1 vocal with a bit of percussion.

Thanks!
Really fine tune here. That continuing guitar riff is infectious and your vocals are just right. The chorus really sticks.

I really enjoyed the ride. I was a bit worried looking at the file that it might get too long but when you ended it at 4:47 it was just right.
Old 27th December 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonfan2 View Post
You have a very good voice that's fits very well with the vibe on this tune.
The Vocal also sounds good production wise. the song itself is good and there are some cool guitar tones happening as well. production wise I hear some problems.
Theres ALOT of hiss. its very noticeable in the intro, throw a gate on whatever
is causing it. I can't hear the kick drum at all and the quality of the drums overall
is weak for this genre of music. The bass sounds to me like a lot of the low end was E.Qed out
was this intentional? This is a solid effort overall and I dig the tune!

Ray
Hey Ray, thanks for your notes, much appreciated.

The hiss is intentional and it comes from a plugin that is emulating the noise coming from a piece of an analogue gear with high output level. I thought it sounded kinda cool... However now I'm thinking that I may have gone overboard with the amount..

I appreciate your honest feedback re the drums. I will take a 2nd look at the level of the kick drum and possibly automating its level to be louder during the chorus. Also I'm thinking that the hihat might be too loud. Overall the drums sound pretty much how I personally want them to sound for this track, but I understand that many would not share my vision.

Yes you are right about the low end of the bass gtr, has been heavily filtered and eq'd to fit in the mix.

Thanks again for checking out the song and giving feedback! :-) Rock on!
Old 28th December 2019
Gear Addict

Finally a little clarity. How does anyone feel about this?

Thanks to all who listen
Old 28th December 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLateNight View Post
Finally a little clarity. How does anyone feel about this?

Thanks to all who listen
Hi, this is the first time I"m ever responding to a call for feedback. Listening to the first minute or so I thought the name of the piece was "Finally a little clarity". The intro is a beautiful fog that resolves into that very hopeful motif on the piano. It really felt like "finally after the fog, skies are clearing". Sort like the clarity one feels when something finally gets resolved--the journey from confusion to clarity--hence me thinking it was called "Finally, a bit of clarity". So for me, that was the emotional message/feeling of the song and it was very nice.

gk.
Old 28th December 2019
Gear Addict

Rev 2

Okay here is an updated version of my latest. Based on the feedback fom @ Bostonfan2 I fine tuned the drum mix mostly by automating it to better follow with the flow of the song. The kick drum should now be more present throughout the piece. I also added a bit of extra sauce into the drum arrangement. I dealt with the intro's excessive hiss as well. Lemme know what you think?
Attached Files
Old 29th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugetsu85 View Post
Okay here is an updated version of my latest. Based on the feedback fom @ Bostonfan2 I fine tuned the drum mix mostly by automating it to better follow with the flow of the song. The kick drum should now be more present throughout the piece. I also added a bit of extra sauce into the drum arrangement. I dealt with the intro's excessive hiss as well. Lemme know what you think?
The hats/cymbals are too harsh. Maybe you could eq, de-ess, or try a dynamic eq to tame them and then ride the cymbals like Andy Wallace...
Old 29th December 2019
Feedback on an indie tune from India!

Hi I am a music producer from Mumbai, India. I don't post here very often but I definitely listen to some of the tunes on this forum every now and then. Great stuff from some of the members here! Would like some feedback on this new pop rock track that I produced. I have sung, harmonized, played guitar and programmed the rhythm track using Addictive Drums and also engineered the song all by myself. I was aiming for a simple but interesting dynamic sound that sounds great when played loud. Have used lots of guitar delays to create a bed of swirling guitar harmonies and overlayed a soothing yet gritty vocal on top. It's sung in Hindi and the lyrics speak about passion, love and all the regular stuff that every songwriter writes about Do let me know how it sounds on your wonderful monitor speakers and headphones and feedback on the sonic quality of the mix.

Last edited by Atin Dasgupta; 29th December 2019 at 12:58 PM..
Old 29th December 2019
Gear Addict

Sunday

Here was a fun little bit of a music experiment. Mainly I was exploring time signatures and Lydian mode. Can you distinguish the three time signatures used in this piece?

As far as electronica goes, this may be one of my favorites I've written. I think it really captured the mood I was feeling today. Always really value feedback from fellow composers and musicians/ producers / artists, thank you!

Old 29th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLateNight View Post
Here was a fun little bit of a music experiment. Mainly I was exploring time signatures and Lydian mode. Can you distinguish the three time signatures used in this piece?

As far as electronica goes, this may be one of my favorites I've written. I think it really captured the mood I was feeling today. Always really value feedback from fellow composers and musicians/ producers / artists, thank you!

I like it. Nice musical journey. Nice mix. Well done. Oh, and I see you're in central Jersey. Probably right around the corner from me.

Anyway, enjoyed the listen.
Old 30th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atin Dasgupta View Post
Do let me know how it sounds on your wonderful monitor speakers and headphones and feedback on the sonic quality of the mix.

This piece sounds fantastic on my Beyerdynamic DT 1990 headphones. I really enjoyed this listen.
Old 1st January 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
The hats/cymbals are too harsh. Maybe you could eq, de-ess, or try a dynamic eq to tame them and then ride the cymbals like Andy Wallace...
Hey @ wagz thank you for the feedback. Do you find the cymbals on this version less harsh? I need to get this finalized done soon before I lose my interest in it :-)
Attached Files
Old 1st January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey @ wagz Do you find the cymbals on this version less harsh?
Yes.
Old 5th January 2020
Thanks Unclenny. Really appreciate you taking the time out to listen to my song Those are some really good headphones you got there. Glad you enjoyed the listen. I have always felt that if you take a lot of pains at the mixing and mastering stage to get your mix to sound right on what you currently produce music on (provided your ears are attuned and familiar with your speakers or headphones over a period of time), the mix will translate well across any listening system.
Old 5th January 2020
Lives for gear

Here is a song I made for the holidays. Happy New Year everyone!

Old 8th January 2020
Lives for gear
I liked the beginning but then it got muddy and too much stuff pretty quick..
Vocals are unintelligible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioman22 View Post
Here's a new rock tune I just did... no cowbell, sorry!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9YczqoUrtc
Old 8th January 2020
Lives for gear
I agree with some of the other commnets on this my friend Needs more ass lol.. Maybe the treble in general is a bit hyped up and cant hear the kick or bass.. But you know Im a fan of your work!

Quote:
Hey guys, I've still got this "one-man band" thing going on. This is a new piece that I've been working on lately in my home studio. I feel it is quite ready as it is, but I can still hone it before final release. Feel free to comment on the production side of things or the song in general.. I am open to feedback and always look forward to hearing your notes on my creations.

Old 9th January 2020
Lives for gear
Hey Jugetsu I commented on the first version before I heard this one.. Thia definitely has more ass LOL I like it.. I always dig your heavy guitars!

Quote:
Hey @ wagz thank you for the feedback. Do you find the cymbals on this version less harsh? I need to get this finalized done soon before I lose my interest in it :-)
Old 9th January 2020
Lives for gear
Sign Of the Times: Rock and Roll

Heres a new version I did of this.. Like a critique on production arrangement and anything else that strikes you all. Im also going to try and do a radio edit and cut about 90 seconds off it lol See if it works Ill put it up later

Here is the shorter version cut out the first verse.. Not sure what to think but its only 4:47.........only !lol

Last edited by Snoggin; 9th January 2020 at 12:59 AM..
Old 10th January 2020
Here for the gear

Hi guys, this song is a song that I've been working on for some years now and now I've done the demo I am asking for some feedback.

https://soundcloud.com/irwin-abrigo/it-hurts
Old 11th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi I am a music producer from Mumbai, India. I don't post here very often but I definitely listen to some of the tunes on this forum every now and then. Great stuff from some of the members here! Would like some feedback on this new pop rock track that I produced. I have sung, harmonized, played guitar and programmed the rhythm track using Addictive Drums and also engineered the song all by myself. I was aiming for a simple but interesting dynamic sound that sounds great when played loud. Have used lots of guitar delays to create a bed of swirling guitar harmonies and overlayed a soothing yet gritty vocal on top. It's sung in Hindi and the lyrics speak about passion, love and all the regular stuff that every songwriter writes about Do let me know how it sounds on your wonderful monitor speakers and headphones and feedback on the sonic quality of the mix.

very nice!
Old 13th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoggin View Post
Heres a new version I did of this.. Like a critique on production arrangement and anything else that strikes you all. Im also going to try and do a radio edit and cut about 90 seconds off it lol See if it works Ill put it up later

Here is the shorter version cut out the first verse.. Not sure what to think but its only 4:47.........only !lol

Nice! I love the vocals and how they sound with the guitars. Good combo
Old 13th January 2020
Lives for gear

Here is a song I made shedding light on mental health, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, and suicide. For anyone going through anything, just know that you are not alone and this life is for you! Hope you enjoy!

Old 13th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg09 View Post
Here is a song I made shedding light on mental health, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, and suicide.
Very strong......good sound and a good message.
Old 14th January 2020
Lives for gear
Thanks for listening Mike ! I’m going to go back and try again I can do better. Maybe I’ll add some organ to it also

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg09 View Post
Nice! I love the vocals and how they sound with the guitars. Good combo
Old 14th January 2020
Lives for gear

Something different from Lenny........

I don't play piano really but this has been a recurring melody when I do sit at my old acoustic upright so I decided to record it as a piano song, even though my available piano sound is less than convincing. The song went in an interesting direction when the lyrics started to come.

I was not really sure that this one would see the light of day but in keeping with my long standing policy of finishing everything and then just putting them out there........

Standing There
https://www.soundclick.com/music/son...ongID=13973542
Old 14th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
Something different from Lenny........

I don't play piano really but this has been a recurring melody when I do sit at my old acoustic upright so I decided to record it as a piano song, even though my available piano sound is less than convincing. The song went in an interesting direction when the lyrics started to come.

I was not really sure that this one would see the light of day but in keeping with my long standing policy of finishing everything and then just putting them out there........

Standing There
https://www.soundclick.com/music/son...ongID=13973542
I really like this piano melody and the way the clean guitar works against it in this song Lenny. Actually I like the whole thing, one of your best!
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockabilly69 View Post
I really like this piano melody and the way the clean guitar works against it in this song
Thanks so much for that appreciation!!! That guitar was an afterthought that really felt right in there.

Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear

Roland VS 1680 > Kurzweil samples & a guitar
Attached Files

SWIFTING SEAS UK.mp3 (9.20 MB, 248 views)

Last edited by cjogo; 17th January 2020 at 01:07 AM..
Old 17th January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoggin View Post

Good arrangement. My 2 cents to make it go from good to great
1. Volume of bass guitar needs to go slightly up.

2. Drive up the energy when you get to pre-chorus. Introduce some tambourines or shakers. Or add some guitar effects on the left channel. Right channel sounds too busy whereas the left channel could do with some more sounds.

3. Use interesting vocal harmonies and backing vocals to fill up the spaces in between and also underneath the main vocal line. The parts where you have used background vocals needs to be more audible.

4. 1.28 - pay more attention to the transitions between song parts. The transition from pre chorus to chorus sounds off time - before "Youve gotta hit the road". Also you could introduce some effects there or use an energetic drum roll to smoothly segue into the part. Again this chorus section needs more energy. Use a shaker in 8th time to increase the energy and feeling of anticipation.

5. Lead vocals levels are a bit too high in my opinion. Can be turned down very slightly to make it sit better in the mix.

Overall if I had to give you just one suggestion. Use more percussion (tambs and shakers) and the song will sizzle!
Old 17th January 2020
Lives for gear
Thanks so much for the detailed critique!!! Really appreciate it! I agree with all of what you brought up and in fact had come to some of the same conclusions and decided to scrap this version and stat over on the mix. Already added some tambo and I think I’m going to try some counterpoint with a Hammond A101 I just picked up And bring some of those messy guitars in and out only when they have real impact. Agree on bgv needing to be more up front

Thanks and I’ll post the new version soon

Thanks again!!!!

Quote:
Good arrangement. My 2 cents to make it go from good to great
1. Volume of bass guitar needs to go slightly up.

2. Drive up the energy when you get to pre-chorus. Introduce some tambourines or shakers. Or add some guitar effects on the left channel. Right channel sounds too busy whereas the left channel could do with some more sounds.

3. Use interesting vocal harmonies and backing vocals to fill up the spaces in between and also underneath the main vocal line. The parts where you have used background vocals needs to be more audible.

4. 1.28 - pay more attention to the transitions between song parts. The transition from pre chorus to chorus sounds off time - before "Youve gotta hit the road". Also you could introduce some effects there or use an energetic drum roll to smoothly segue into the part. Again this chorus section needs more energy. Use a shaker in 8th time to increase the energy and feeling of anticipation.

5. Lead vocals levels are a bit too high in my opinion. Can be turned down very slightly to make it sit better in the mix.

Overall if I had to give you just one suggestion. Use more percussion (tambs and shakers) and the song will sizzle!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search