The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Post your "finished" demos here
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Nut

"Indian Summer"

Hi all,

This was a song I originally wrote in 2018 after acquiring Toontrack’s Superior Drummer 3 software, which has among its many drum sounds a kit called “John” that really nails the sound of Bonham’s kit in the big room at Headley Grange on “When the Levee Breaks” and “Kashmir.” I had used Sony’s Acid loop drums almost exclusively prior to that for my demos, but most of their loops started to sound pretty mushy and unusable below 100 BPM, and I really wanted to explore that slower, heavier, Zeppelin-ish territory. So I wrote this song basically to learn how to program Superior Drummer 3.

Originally, the track had my 2007 Gibson Everly Brothers acoustic on the right-hand channel, recorded with an AKG C414 large diaphragm condenser, and Roland’s VG-99 guitar modeled version of the Nashville-tuned guitar on the left. In recent years, I’ve increasingly enjoyed using the Roland Nashville tuning patch a lot to add some unique colors to my recordings, but the actual guitar sound was quite digital sounding – a bit like an acoustic guitar with a piezo pickup. So last month, I finally bit the bullet, and bought a Nashville-strung Taylor GS Mini from Sweetwater. When it arrived, I had a very happy evening replacing the Roland modeled Nashville-tuned guitars with the real deal, mic’ed with a Neumann U67 reissue large diaphragm tube condenser aimed at the 12th fret. I also used the U67 on my lead vocal. All of the mics went through a Chandler Ltd. Redd.47 tube mic pre, and a little bit of Warm Audio’s WA-2A opto-tube compressor.

The electric guitar solo is a 2000 Gibson Les Paul Historic 1959 reissue via Radial Engineering’s J48 direct box into a Fireface UFX+, run through Overloud’s TH3 amp modeling software, and given just a hint of Eventide H949 Harmonizer plugin as a slight thickening effect.

When the electric comes in, some additional percussion enters as well. To record these (a couple of different tambourines and a cowbell), I deliberately chose a very echo-y room -- my two car garage, with an AKG 414 close-up, and a Rode NT5 small diaphragm condenser aimed at the opposite corner of the room to record the reflection. By taking these stereo tracks and converting them to two mono tracks, I could place each instrument and its echo exactly where I wanted them in the mix.

The bass track is a 1983 Fender Precision Bass, recorded into the J48 direct box, and then processed with Eventide H9000’s #1209 Bass Room FX Chain. It reminded me of some of the bass sounds on Guns & Roses’ Use Your Illusion albums. I also added just a little bit of an 1176 compressor plugin in “all buttons in” or “British mode” to add some overdriven harmonics to help it cut through the mix.

The pad is a Roland VG-88 organ patch, which I ran through the H9000’s SpaceTime algorithm for a slow Leslie organ effect.

For the last verse, a guitar playing harmonics enters. These were simply open-string 12th fret harmonics on a clean VG-99 electric patch, which I “tuned” into melodic patterns with Melodyne’s pitch-correction software (which can be a great sound mangling tool as well). This part was enhanced with the #1157 Mirrored Raindrops FX chain on the H9000.

And the massed backup vocals came from my lead vocal heavily processed with TC-Helicon’s VoiceLive 3 unit.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,

Ed
Old 7th September 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg09 View Post
Loving the energy and the parts where it became calm. You played that?
Yes, i played it Im glad you liked it! :D
Old 7th September 2019
Old 10th September 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Driscoll View Post

Hi all,

This was a song I originally wrote in 2018 after acquiring Toontrack’s Superior Drummer 3 software.... Originally, the track had my...Roland’s VG-99 guitar modeled version of the Nashville-tuned guitar on the left. ...So last month, I finally bit the bullet, and bought a Nashville-strung Taylor GS Mini from Sweetwater.

Thanks,

Ed
It's a fun-sounding song, and a good job with SD3 (which I have, along with the VG99, and a Taylor Big Baby specially strung Nashville style -- so I can understand the fun of putting all these elements together).

The production is really good, though (as one person's opinion) both the lead and background vocals could use some balancing unless you were purposefully trying for a very upfront and dry sound (a bit like some Bill Nelson's solo work -- he of Be Bop Deluxe fame). If not, then balancing the vocals would bring out the instruments, plus adding a little reverb could soften the edges. The background vocals have a lot of stereo power but also could back attenuated a little as well.

Nice job, and keep up the good work.

Steve
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McNamara View Post
The production is good with the exception (as one person's opinion) that both the lead and background vocals need work, unless you were purposefully trying for a very upfront and dry sound (a bit like some Bill Nelson's solo work -- he of Be Bop Deluxe fame). If not, then balancing the vocals would bring out the instruments, plus adding a little reverb could soften the edges. The background vocals have a lot of stereo power but also could back attenuated a little as well.

Nice job, and keep up the good work.
Thank you for the kind words. I did put an Eventide plate reverb plugin on the lead vocal, but no matter how many devices I check the recording on (two different monitor speakers, plus the car stereo and Bose noise-cancelling headphones), I do seem to have difficulty setting the lead vocal level.
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Hi all,

This was a song I originally wrote in 2018 after acquiring Toontrack’s Superior Drummer 3 software, which has among its many drum sounds a kit called “John” that really nails the sound of Bonham’s kit in the big room at Headley Grange on “When the Levee Breaks” and “Kashmir.” I had used Sony’s Acid loop drums almost exclusively prior to that for my demos, but most of their loops started to sound pretty mushy and unusable below 100 BPM, and I really wanted to explore that slower, heavier, Zeppelin-ish territory. So I wrote this song basically to learn how to program Superior Drummer 3.

Originally, the track had my 2007 Gibson Everly Brothers acoustic on the right-hand channel, recorded with an AKG C414 large diaphragm condenser, and Roland’s VG-99 guitar modeled version of the Nashville-tuned guitar on the left. In recent years, I’ve increasingly enjoyed using the Roland Nashville tuning patch a lot to add some unique colors to my recordings, but the actual guitar sound was quite digital sounding – a bit like an acoustic guitar with a piezo pickup. So last month, I finally bit the bullet, and bought a Nashville-strung Taylor GS Mini from Sweetwater. When it arrived, I had a very happy evening replacing the Roland modeled Nashville-tuned guitars with the real deal, mic’ed with a Neumann U67 reissue large diaphragm tube condenser aimed at the 12th fret. I also used the U67 on my lead vocal. All of the mics went through a Chandler Ltd. Redd.47 tube mic pre, and a little bit of Warm Audio’s WA-2A opto-tube compressor.

The electric guitar solo is a 2000 Gibson Les Paul Historic 1959 reissue via Radial Engineering’s J48 direct box into a Fireface UFX+, run through Overloud’s TH3 amp modeling software, and given just a hint of Eventide H949 Harmonizer plugin as a slight thickening effect.

When the electric comes in, some additional percussion enters as well. To record these (a couple of different tambourines and a cowbell), I deliberately chose a very echo-y room -- my two car garage, with an AKG 414 close-up, and a Rode NT5 small diaphragm condenser aimed at the opposite corner of the room to record the reflection. By taking these stereo tracks and converting them to two mono tracks, I could place each instrument and its echo exactly where I wanted them in the mix.

The bass track is a 1983 Fender Precision Bass, recorded into the J48 direct box, and then processed with Eventide H9000’s #1209 Bass Room FX Chain. It reminded me of some of the bass sounds on Guns & Roses’ Use Your Illusion albums. I also added just a little bit of an 1176 compressor plugin in “all buttons in” or “British mode” to add some overdriven harmonics to help it cut through the mix.

The pad is a Roland VG-88 organ patch, which I ran through the H9000’s SpaceTime algorithm for a slow Leslie organ effect.

For the last verse, a guitar playing harmonics enters. These were simply open-string 12th fret harmonics on a clean VG-99 electric patch, which I “tuned” into melodic patterns with Melodyne’s pitch-correction software (which can be a great sound mangling tool as well). This part was enhanced with the #1157 Mirrored Raindrops FX chain on the H9000.

And the massed backup vocals came from my lead vocal heavily processed with TC-Helicon’s VoiceLive 3 unit.

Thanks,

Ed
Let me start off by saying that I love the song. Has a definite Zep feel to.

Unfortunately, the mix doesn't work for me. The drums sound like the only thing audible is the overheads and even they're turned down so low that the drums are barely audible. Plus, they sound like they were hi passed and heavily compressed. They just don't fit with the rest of the song, especially with the vocals that are so dry.

If you're really going for a Zep sound, take one of their similar tracks musically and use it as a reference track. I am sure you'll hear the difference. Bonham's drums would never sound so non existent.

Otherwise, really liked the song a lot. Just needs some love mix wise.
Old 10th September 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Thank you for the kind words. I did put an Eventide plate reverb plugin on the lead vocal, but no matter how many devices I check the recording on (two different monitor speakers, plus the car stereo and Bose noise-cancelling headphones), I do seem to have difficulty setting the lead vocal level.
Do you start with a "static mix" before adding FX, etc. That's generally a great way to get the balance right for vocals vs. instruments (and one suggested by many great mixers). You could also use Waves' Vocal Rider, which is a nice way of leveling vocals.

Steve
Old 12th September 2019
Lives for gear

Finished in 1999 -- VS Roland 1680 -- mixed to a Masterlink
Attached Files

IN QUIET MOMENTS.mp3 (11.54 MB, 524 views)

Old 13th September 2019
Old 13th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg09 View Post

Really nice mellow listen here in my office early in the morning.

Old 4 weeks ago
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Listen to Roller Coaster by Ruben Vike Våge on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/ruben-vike-vage/roller-coaster looking for feedback on my instrumental
Old 4 weeks ago
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Let me start off by saying that I love the song. Has a definite Zep feel to.

Unfortunately, the mix doesn't work for me. The drums sound like the only thing audible is the overheads and even they're turned down so low that the drums are barely audible. Plus, they sound like they were hi passed and heavily compressed. They just don't fit with the rest of the song, especially with the vocals that are so dry.
Thank you for the constructive criticism of the mix. The drums were a summed stereo mix of the Superior Drummer 3 Midi track. I went back on Sunday night and soloed each SD3 track and recorded their audio to separate tracks, and then added some EQ on the kick on both the low-end and around the 3K range. (I'm not at the DAW, so I don't have the exact numbers.) I turned down the overhead tracks a bit in the mix. I also added a bit more reverb to the vocal. This version certainly sounded better on both my big monitor speakers -- and on my car's stereo. Let me know what you think:

https://soundcloud.com/eddriscollcom/indian-summer-2
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you for the constructive criticism of the mix. The drums were a summed stereo mix of the Superior Drummer 3 Midi track. I went back on Sunday night and soloed each SD3 track and recorded their audio to separate tracks, and then added some EQ on the kick on both the low-end and around the 3K range. (I'm not at the DAW, so I don't have the exact numbers.) I turned down the overhead tracks a bit in the mix. I also added a bit more reverb to the vocal. This version certainly sounded better on both my big monitor speakers -- and on my car's stereo. Let me know what you think:

https://soundcloud.com/eddriscollcom/indian-summer-2
Sorry, but can still barely hear the drums.

Please listen to this track.

Your kick is non existent and the snare is barely audible. Bonham's drums cut right through. And this isn't a fast Zep song. It's slow just like yours. Plus, there's nothing fancy going on here either. It's just a straight beat for the most part.

For some reason, you seem to be against bringing the volume of the drums up. Don't know why. Maybe you're trying to either hide them because you don't like the sound of them or don't like the playing.

Aside from the drums, as you can hear, your mix on everything else is super dry and in your face. Kashmir, not so much.

Big Zep fan here so if you're going for their sound, you have a long way to go mix wise.

Just being honest, as I think you can hear if you listen to Kashmir.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

2000 ish >> ROLAND VS 2480 DAW ..

WHY WORK
Attached Files

WHY WORK 1.mp3 (5.25 MB, 393 views)

Last edited by cjogo; 4 weeks ago at 04:51 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
I went back on Sunday night and soloed each SD3 track and recorded their audio to separate tracks...
Just a quick comment about this -- you may already know this, but SD3 lets you assign each drum to a different channel (using multi-out) so you don't have to solo and then record to separate tracks. I know Studio One and Cakewalk allow this, and a quick search shows videos for virtually all major DAWS.

I'm not sure this would address any issues you might be having, but just wanted to pass it along.
Old 3 weeks ago
icw
Here for the gear

The Overflow

Another "finished" demo - of course I'm already hearing things I'd love to tweak, but, oh well. Still feel like my production/engineering chops are getting in the way of the final product, but, again, oh well.

Hope you like!

https://soundcloud.com/icw/overflow
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Another song finnished! this time a acoustic guitar song, what do you think of my song? Listen to BLACK & WHITE by Ruben Vike Våge on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/ruben-vike-vage/black-white-1
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rub1v View Post
Another song finnished! this time a acoustic guitar song, what do you think of my song? Listen to BLACK & WHITE by Ruben Vike Våge on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/ruben-vike-vage/black-white-1
I like the guitar bits. Gets maybe a bit monotonous over time. Ok for ambient if that’s what you’re after
Old 3 weeks ago

A little TLC goes a long way.

A jewel that any singer-songwriter would be proud to have created.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Something of a different sound this time around. Had some fun with this one....

Ghost In The Wires
https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/...ongID=13924007
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Unhappy

New song for y’all! Feedback appreciated!

https://soundcloud.com/mitch-kricun/stand-up-sit-down
Old 2 weeks ago

A temporary return to form.

Contact mic drumkit...the usual stuff.

The writer's block has lifted.
Attached Thumbnails
Post your "finished" demos here-hollow-pencil.png  
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoPrsV__Rew

Struggled with this one, if there's ever a chance to re-do the song I'll probably work more on the composition.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howling Terror View Post

A temporary return to form.

Contact mic drumkit...the usual stuff.

The writer's block has lifted.
Gives new meaning to the genre "alternative." Bits and pieces of the vocal can either use some compression or volume automation as sections are buried in the mix. As there doesn't appear to be any instruments competing with the vocal frequency range (all I hear is bass and percussion) it's probably just a volume problem.

All in all, interesting listen.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1st track from my CD "The Cool Cat In The Wind"

The Cat's Pajamas

When you walk into a room
Ain't nobody who can keep their eyes off you
All those guys over the moon
When you do those crazy things you do

If I could just have one night
Show you what I am really made of
I know I can get it right
When I'm talkin' in the language of love

Cause I'm the cat's pajamas.
And you're my super cool kitten who I want to know
Yeah I'm the cat's pajamas
Let me take you out
Let me take you to the show

When we're both out on the town
Ain't nobody who can keep their eyes off you
All those guys want you around
When you do those crazy things you do

But it's only me who you crave
Cause you know how much I can please you
And you know it's me I'm your fave
Cause you know you love when I tease you

Repeat Chorus

Instrumental Break

Repeat Chorus

Outro

Old 2 weeks ago
@ wagtunes . Ta for letting it waft over your lugholes. Much appreciated.

I wasn't expecting a critique. I'll bear what you said in mind, however it sounded ok through the phone. Could be the vocal parts where I increased the mix to the slapback delay during mixdown..but that was intentional.

Thanks again.
Currently listening to your track. Making me smile. Although saxophone in general does make my skin itch
Old 23 hours ago

Waxed another hottie.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search