The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Post your "finished" demos here Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 13th January 2019
Lives for gear

I wrote this one last week to try to gain a little perspective on my 67th birthday.

Into The Final Third
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
I wrote this one last week to try to gain a little perspective on my 67th birthday.

Into The Final Third
Happy birthday!

I know it might be meaningless...but out of your DAW, what kind of overall RMS levels are you running with for a song like this?

Thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
Happy birthday!

I know it might be meaningless...but out of your DAW, what kind of overall RMS levels are you running with for a song like this?

Thanks
Thanks for that!

I generally come out at around -15 RMS for my stuff.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
What started out as a fun cover of The Kids classic "Baby Shark" ended up being an emotional ode to the tragic conflict of predator and prey in this children's track.

Let me know your thoughts on the mix. it's not final but it's getting close. We will be cleaning up some of the confusion in the beginning vocals. There is a lot of instrumentation so it's not an easy mix to do.

note there is 10 seconds of silence at the beginning.

Baby Shark Mix 1 by thedommer | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 3 weeks ago
Here's one I did, along with the video for the song. We were trying for an early mTV feel for the video: YouTube
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Thanks for that!

I generally come out at around -15 RMS for my stuff.
I guess these are relative terms right? Because one man's -15rms may not be comparable 'loudness-wise' with another's...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I guess these are relative terms right? Because one man's -15rms may not be comparable 'loudness-wise' with another's...
Definitely. My stuff is more laid back and it just sounds better to me in that range. When I push it more I always back off again.

I'm curious as to how you perceive that level with this song......
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Definitely. My stuff is more laid back and it just sounds better to me in that range. When I push it more I always back off again.

I'm curious as to how you perceive that level with this song......
Very loud. Right before I listened to your song I'd been listening to random songs on youtube. I had to turn your song down to around 30% on the soundclick volume control.

There's variables though...when soundclick started playing, the volume in sc was 100%...in youtube, my volume was probably around 50%.

I just perceived your song as loud, I guess.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just perceived your song as loud, I guess.
I appreciate that feedback. I don't want my music to come across as loud so I'm hoping your perception was from the Youtube/Soundclick volume differential.

EDIT:

I think I could use a reality check on the "loudness" of what I am putting out. If anyone has the time it would be appreciated.

Leonard Scaper| SoundClick

Last edited by Unclenny; 3 weeks ago at 07:38 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Another demo to illustrate the cool clean tone of my 1949 Chicago Webster 166-1 mic/phono amp. The guitar plugged into it is Gibson Historic SG Special.

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockabilly69 View Post
Another demo to illustrate the cool clean tone of my 1949 Chicago Webster 166-1 mic/phono amp. The guitar plugged into it is Gibson Historic SG Special.

That sounds fine! Love the vocals as well. I had to goggle a picture of that amp...very cool.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

From dusk to dawn

Hi all, first message on this forum, I think I’m at the right place here to share my band’s song and ask for feedback on the mix, if not don’t hesitate to tell me and I’ll repost at the correct place.

My question: we paid an EP for 1000€ - 5 songs, recording and mixing, I know this is a pretty low price but still, I thought we could have had a better sound!

In your opinion, what are the easiest things we could have do to improve the quality of our sound?

YouTube
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Here's my most recent endeavor.

Not sure how to post it directly so I am pointing to the Youtube. I hope this is allowed - not sure of how it fits into the rules of the forum aqnd if I have been inappropriate I apologize.

BONE DRY - YouTube
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I like that acoustic sound. What guitar is it? What and how did you record it?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagz View Post
I like that acoustic sound. What guitar is it? What and how did you record it?
The guitar is a 2015 Gibson custom shop 1950s tri-burst J45 re-issue. It was recorded with a Rode NTK mic modified by Jon Bonnel through a Langevin DVC pre. The microphone was positioned at the end of the fingerboard of my guitar about 8 inches out. It’s the same way I recorded this song. Tom Thumb Blues by Daniel Weldon | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The guitar is a 2015 Gibson custom shop 1950s tri-burst J45 re-issue. It was recorded with a Rode NTK mic modified by Jon Bonnel through a Langevin DVC pre. The microphone was positioned at the end of the fingerboard of my guitar about 8 inches out. It’s the same way I recorded this song. Tom Thumb Blues by Daniel Weldon | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Awesome. Thanks for the detailed info. No wonder I like it. I usually like J-45s. What you're doing sounds good on both tracks.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Awesome. Thanks for the detailed info. No wonder I like it. I usually like J-45s. What you're doing sounds good on both tracks.

J45s are my favorite guitar as they go good with my dirty voice!!!

Here's my vintage 1964 J45 on two of my songs that are demos that I plan to record with a band soon. It's right out front and is both the picked guitar and slide guitar on these tracks....

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Here's my vintage 1964 J45 on two of my songs that are demos that I plan to record with a band soon. It's right out front and is both the picked guitar and slide guitar on these tracks....

Man, you've got a great dirty voice. I love voices like that! Rod Stewart. Kim Carnes. I wish I could sound like that! Got any tips on how to do that? LOL. I heard your Rod Stewart cover. It's pretty dead-on. I'll have to save up for the '45...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Man, you've got a great dirty voice. I love voices like that! Rod Stewart. Kim Carnes. I wish I could sound like that! Got any tips on how to do that? LOL. I heard your Rod Stewart cover. It's pretty dead-on. I'll have to save up for the '45...
One thing about J45s is that they are consistent but some newer ones are a bit boomy. You can EQ out the boominess but the great ones have this dryness with a clear low-end that I love. You should wait until you find a GREAT one! And to find one you should probably buy in person, or at least, if you buy online, look for a good return policy. Good luck, I hope you find a great one!!!

I don't have tips on dirty voices. Some people say smoking and drinking too much whiskey helps I don't smoke and only occasional have a nip of the whiskey. I think genetics is the key to a dirty voice Funny thing I can turn mine off if I want...
And funnier yet I can hear the rasp in my 37 year old son's voice, and my 3 grandsons
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
One thing about J45s is that they are consistent but some newer ones are a bit boomy. You can EQ out the boominess but the great ones have this dryness with a clear low-end that I love. You should wait until you find a GREAT one! And to find one you should probably buy in person, or at least, if you buy online, look for a good return policy. Good luck, I hope you find a great one!!!

I don't have tips on dirty voices. Some people say smoking and drinking too much whiskey helps I don't smoke and only occasional have a nip of the whiskey. I think genetics is the key to a dirty voice Funny thing I can turn mine off if I want...
And funnier yet I can hear the rasp in my 37 year old son's voice, and my 3 grandsons
Yeah. You're right about the J-45s. I've played several (new and old). Usually, I prefer the old ones. No question. If I ever got the money, I'd go for a Collings CJ 45 Mahogany, too.

Assuming you're right about genetics, vocally, you've got the golden ticket, in my opinion.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah. You're right about the J-45s. I've played several (new and old). Usually, I prefer the old ones. No question. If I ever got the money, I'd go for a Collings CJ 45 Mahogany, too.

Assuming you're right about genetics, vocally, you've got the golden ticket, in my opinion.
Quote:
If I was to buy again, I would find an old J45 or J50 player grade but serviced to play like new. I'm convinced no-one one builds them like Gibson did in the old days. I like player's grade instruments because you put them right to work, and if you ding it, who cares, they still don't lose value. Anything new you spend that kind of money on will be babied, and that's no way to play a J45. They just sound best when they are being rocked!

Even very good condition ones are reasonable priced. Here's a few just like mine (but they are in better condition than mine)...

Gibson J-45 1964 Cherry Sunburst | Jay Rosen Music | Reverb

1964 Gibson J-45 Cherryburst | Leah's Pop's Shop | Reverb
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If I was to buy again, I would find an old J45 or J50 player grade but serviced to play like new. I'm convinced no-one one builds them like Gibson did in the old days. I like player's grade instruments because you put them right to work, and if you ding it, who cares, they still don't lose value. Anything new you spend that kind of money on will be babied, and that's no way to play a J45. They just sound best when they are being rocked!

Even very good condition ones are reasonable priced. Here's a few just like mine (but they are in better condition than mine)...

Gibson J-45 1964 Cherry Sunburst | Jay Rosen Music | Reverb

1964 Gibson J-45 Cherryburst | Leah's Pop's Shop | Reverb
I really don't mind the wear. I'd rather not feel like I need to baby the guitar. The main thing is playability, followed by tone.

That one from Leah's has some nice checking.

The J-50 (Gillian Welch!) is awesome, too.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I really don't mind the wear. I'd rather not feel like I need to baby the guitar. The main thing is playability, followed by tone.

That one from Leah's has some nice checking.

The J-50 (Gillian Welch!) is awesome, too.
I always think of the J50 guitars the guys from Badfinger played on the acoustic tracks on George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass".
Old 2 weeks ago
icw
Here for the gear

Here's to putting yourself out there...

"Finished" and everything...

Everything is me on this except the drums, even and especially the mix part which is rough. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Better late than never. Thanks for listening!

BE demo by ICW | I W | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by icw View Post

Everything is me on this except the drums, even and especially the mix part which is rough. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I enjoyed listening to song, sounds polished and commercial.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Wonderful. I absolutely love your vocals.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by icw View Post

Amazing icw you nailed it
Old 2 weeks ago
icw
Here for the gear

Thanks, AxelF!! If that’s a Beverly Hills cop reference, I’m waaay in.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search