The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Post your "finished" demos here Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. torture View Post
Cool old school rock n roll vibes here!

Couple of notes about the mix:

There is a LOT more low end going on than what I hear on the albums of this genre from its heydays.. so to me the mix/master doesn't exactly nail the original tone of the music that I would've used as reference (thinking 80s/90s Bon Jovi, Guns n Roses etc.).

The gtrs are mixed really loud, maybe too loud for my tastes considering the overall vibe of the songs.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
Only You Know What I Mean

Recorded in 1990 >>Tascam 238 8 track cassette

transferred to VS 2480 DAW

mixed down to REAPER two track .. 2018
holy phase monkey, that was a roller coaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugetsu85 View Post
Due to an extremely hectic period that I am currently going through in my life I have decided to consider this one as "finished":

WE ALSO BURNED (DEMO) by Fall of Twentyseven | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Trying to nail sort of Deftones vibe or something like that..

Quote:
the high hat is so artificial and over processed it doesnt belong in the mix anymore. it stopped me from listening to the rest of the music. I wonder if it was an electric drumset.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=YourBestFriend;13565245]holy phase monkey, that was a roller coaster.

Trying to remember 30 years ago.....Just a 58 most the tracking -- but yes some real phasing there ... printed some effects on that 67 Martin

& maybe also added that phasing >>> during the transfer to the VS
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool old school rock n roll vibes here!

Couple of notes about the mix:

There is a LOT more low end going on than what I hear on the albums of this genre from its heydays.. so to me the mix/master doesn't exactly nail the original tone of the music that I would've used as reference (thinking 80s/90s Bon Jovi, Guns n Roses etc.).

The gtrs are mixed really loud, maybe too loud for my tastes considering the overall vibe of the songs.
When you say a lot of low end, what specific frequency range? Thanks!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
When you say a lot of low end, what specific frequency range? Thanks!
I would try a SSL Channel strip (or something else that is musical, not mechanical!) HP pass filter on the mix bus at around 70hz, then reference to your favourite commercial track representing the same genre and adjust as necessary.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Just a little love song. Blue Kiwi on my voice, Neumann U87 on my Martin HD28, Neumann U89 on Lacey's voice and fiddle, and all mics through LA610 preamps...
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockabilly69 View Post

Just a little love song. Blue Kiwi on my voice, Neumann U87 on my Martin HD28, Neumann U89 on Lacey's voice and fiddle, and all mics through LA610 preamps...
Very nice! Thanks for sharing .
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:

"Amy's Flame" is a beautiful song melodically, and I am REALLY feeling those harmonics from the acoustic gtr. One thing I noticed thinking right away when the song begun was that that your voice sounded strongly "high-passed". I would've liked to hear more of the lower spectrum of your voice.
hey @Unclenny
I'm hearing something maybe similar of what jugetsu85 might have been hearing, but I'm hearing it as an issue with your singing. It sounds to me like you are afraid of your voice, or maybe recording makes you tense up, but I'm hearing a holding back in the delivery. Don't worry, you can be confident in your voice and you can sing. Honestly. you can relax.

I like your writing, playing and arrangement. I really like the 2nd section in particular. I also like a few things about the song that plays next
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I am smiling @themiracle .....because these days I'm more often the one giving that pep talk. Thank you for turning me around like that and for your interest. I sincerely appreciate this.

After all these years I have accepted my voice for what it is and, for the most part, I have learned to sing within myself and to only push the envelope at those times when it feels right for the song.

We all can sing, right? Some of us just have more natural talent than others. And some of us have made more of a commitment to develop the natural talent that we have.

I just usually let things flow and allow what "natural character" my voice has to come out.

This time, however, I was a little edgy about the vocals because I knew I had to sing in a register that was out of my very limited comfort zone. You picked that up, as did @jugetsu85 . I could have re-tracked the guitar into a safer key but that guitar take felt good. The vocal take that I kept had a couple of glaring sour spots but I left them because I was hearing truth in them.

Thanks again for your kind words and your confidence boost.

EDIT:

Here's something that I did last weekend for a little contest that involved composing to someone else's lyrics....not generally something I would do.

This is a bare bones arrangement with some strong harmonies at the end that is right in my wheelhouse......posting it just for comparison:

Two Hearts In The Snow (Michael A. Duffy Lyrics) by Leonard Scaper | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited by Unclenny; 4 days ago at 10:15 AM..
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:

Beautiful!
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

Those S's are sharper than sharp knives, i wonder if you were super close to the microphone. good song. good feel.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
I am smiling @themiracle .....because these days I'm more often the one giving that pep talk. Thank you for turning me around like that and for your interest. I sincerely appreciate this.

After all these years I have accepted my voice for what it is and, for the most part, I have learned to sing within myself and to only push the envelope at those times when it feels right for the song.

We all can sing, right? Some of us just have more natural talent than others. And some of us have made more of a commitment to develop the natural talent that we have.

I just usually let things flow and allow what "natural character" my voice has to come out.

This time, however, I was a little edgy about the vocals because I knew I had to sing in a register that was out of my very limited comfort zone. You picked that up, as did @jugetsu85 . I could have re-tracked the guitar into a safer key but that guitar take felt good. The vocal take that I kept had a couple of glaring sour spots but I left them because I was hearing truth in them.

Thanks again for your kind words and your confidence boost.

EDIT:

Here's something that I did last weekend for a little contest that involved composing to someone else's lyrics....not generally something I would do.

This is a bare bones arrangement with some strong harmonies at the end that is right in my wheelhouse......posting it just for comparison:

Two Hearts In The Snow (Michael A. Duffy Lyrics) by Leonard Scaper | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I think it's lovely. I love the sparse guitar, which helps to evoke some of the wintery feeling.. and I love when the vocal harmonies come in.. right on.

This conversation reminds me of something my vocal teacher says to me, basically, that backing off of parts I am less comfortable with doesn't make them sound better, it just makes it sound like i'm trying to hide, so I might as well just sing it out, even if it's not perfect, it still beats hiding

take that for what it's worth. I still make this mistake all the time, but her advice has helped me do it less

Happy Saturday unc. et. al!
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear
Here are somewhat orchestral songs inspired by Lapland. Filmed with my phone, which explains the noisy footage.

Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by themiracle View Post
backing off of parts I am less comfortable with doesn't make them sound better, it just makes it sound like i'm trying to hide, so I might as well just sing it out, even if it's not perfect, it still beats hiding

Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBestFriend View Post

Attempted a remix ..tried to tame some of that phasing prob ... No notes back from the 80's on this one..
Attached Files

ONLY YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.mp3 (7.35 MB, 74 views)

Old 20 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBestFriend View Post

Went back to the drawing board (found the right tool in REAPER finally )
Explode multichannel audio
Attached Files

ONLY YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN 1.mp3 (7.35 MB, 23 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search