The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Post your "finished" demos here Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 3rd April 2018
  #5371
Lives for gear
 
cjogo's Avatar
Bang bang
Attached Files

BANG BANG.mp3 (8.71 MB, 151 views)

Old 3rd April 2018
  #5372
Steven Antoniazzi
 
127Riot's Avatar
 

Rock Tune

Here's a rock song I did a few years back, I tracked 2 songs for a band from start to finish in 4 hours and it took me over an hour of that time trying to get his drums to sound right in my small room.

It was recorded & mixed using the apogee AD/DA- 16, X Series converters. This was done in my one room home studio.
Attached Files

The Secret Black.mp3 (6.21 MB, 686 views)


Last edited by 127Riot; 10th April 2018 at 10:42 PM..
Old 7th April 2018
  #5373
Lives for gear
Hi all.

Here is my new track featuring my partner Jo on vocals. It's a finished track, but it's currently unmastered (so quite low level). Had mixed responses to this one from both friends/producers and radio DJ's. Some don't think the vocal quite works and I had reservations myself, but I found they totally grew on me, so I'm hoping this one is a grower. I'm not sure any of other tracks have been growers.

What do you guys think? Also posting this in the rough demo thread.


Old 7th April 2018
  #5374
Here for the gear
 

Old 7th April 2018
  #5375
Here for the gear
 

Old 8th April 2018
  #5376
Lives for gear
 
Unclenny's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Some don't think the vocal quite works and I had reservations myself, but I found they totally grew on me, so I'm hoping this one is a grower.
These vocals worked for me right off.

You still got the funk, man! Crank this one up now.
Old 8th April 2018
  #5377
Lives for gear
 
Unclenny's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjgypsy View Post
"The slightly disturbing imagery brought forth by lyrics 'Of all the things that I have seen off the neighbor’s porch huffing gasoline' seems oddly enough right at home in between distorted guitars draped over a solid rhythm section" - WJAY

House Built By Love - F.N.C.F by Gypsy Farm Recording | Free Listening on SoundCloud
I like this one a lot. The production has a very cool raw dynamic quality.
Old 8th April 2018
  #5378
Lives for gear
 
Unclenny's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by windplaysmusic View Post
Wow three for three for me this morning.

This is a wonderful raw performance.
Old 8th April 2018
  #5379
Lives for gear
 
Unclenny's Avatar
Old 8th April 2018
  #5380
Lives for gear
 
mikeg09's Avatar
Here is a song I mixed and produced myself

Old 8th April 2018
  #5381
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
These vocals worked for me right off.

You still got the funk, man! Crank this one up now.
Thanks a lot, always appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment.

Glad you liked the track and Jo's vocals.
Old 10th April 2018
  #5382
Gear Nut
 
jugetsu85's Avatar
Feedback needed on a new rock song

I posted this earlier in the "rough demos" thread, but I feel that this could be posted here as well to get some input.

I would really need feedback on the demo of my newest track "Broke My Heart":

Broke My Heart 090418 by Fall of Twentyseven | Free Listening on SoundCloud

UPDATED DEMO: Broke My Heart demo 120418 by Fall of Twentyseven | Free Listening on SoundCloud

It is a rough mix (not even eq on all the tracks) and the vox probably need to be retracked at least for some parts. I tracked myself on the lead vocal yesterday and I had somewhat hard time with it. What do you think?

The guitar parts I am quite happy with, but I've probably lost all sense of objectivity by now. So I need your input on that too..

I would also very much appreciate feedback on the song and the arrangement, this is still work in progress so please feel free to provide feedback even if it is criticism!

Last edited by jugetsu85; 12th April 2018 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: Updated link available.
Old 11th April 2018
  #5383
Gear Head
 

Hello guys,

It has been a while ... still writing a lot of stuff, no time to record properly though. This time My brother and I (that is also the name of the band) decided to start a series of videos on my youtube channel (both covers and original pieces) this is the firs one, nothing special I hope you like it. Bye



YouTube
Old 12th April 2018
  #5384
Here for the gear
 

Old 12th April 2018
  #5385
Lives for gear
 
cjogo's Avatar
Tunes from 2003 .. two we did one afternoon ..
Attached Files

ONE GOOD EYE.mp3 (8.31 MB, 335 views)

PIG & POKE.mp3 (8.81 MB, 399 views)


Last edited by cjogo; 12th April 2018 at 08:10 AM..
Old 12th April 2018
  #5386
Lives for gear
 
Unclenny's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by realkevm View Post
Hello! Please let me know what you think to my music...the levels are off on the recording and my voice is pretty much a work in progress but i'm as far from a perfectionist as you can get so... Can't Be Bothered by RealKevM2 | Real Kev M2 | Free Listening on SoundCloud
I like the rawness of this......you did get your levels a little hot though, I think.

Excellent potential.
Old 12th April 2018
  #5387
Gear Head
 
Marcus Nalgaber's Avatar
 

Agua de Sal - Smooth Jazz Fusion Song

Agua de Sal



Best regards
Old 12th April 2018
  #5388
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
I like the rawness of this......you did get your levels a little hot though, I think.

Excellent potential.
Thank you for listening and your kind words.
Old 12th April 2018
  #5389
Here for the gear
 

I'm doing a 'social mediavchallenge' at 7pm, performing live three different songs on three different social media platforms this evening if anyone is interested, starting on my Instagram (realkevm2) then Twitter (realkevm2) and finally on Facebook Live (KevM - Home | Facebook) hope to see you there!
Old 13th April 2018
  #5390
Lives for gear
 
cjogo's Avatar
A little jam from Big Sur
Attached Files

COOKING ON THE GRILL (New).mp3 (13.73 MB, 300 views)

Old 13th April 2018
  #5391
Here for the gear
 

KirkTheRiffer - Slaughterhouse (feat. Tyson Eastman)

Old 15th April 2018
  #5392
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg09 View Post
Thanks Snail! You actually hit it right on the head! I was thinking the exact same thing earlier today. How many DB's of compression would you recommend that I need more of to get it to sit right?
Sorry for taking so long to respond. That's a good question but it is hard for me to say, not being a mix engineer.

You could either compress it pretty heavily or you could combine compression with volume automation to give it a more natural feel. It all depends on what you want. But I think doing those things will help you to situate the vocals further "in" the mix rather than on top of it.

Another thing is that if you try to push the vocals into the mix but they seem to disappear, you may need to create more space in the frequencies that the vocals sit in by adjusting other instruments with EQ or panning.

Just some ideas!
Old 15th April 2018
  #5393
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Hi all.

Here is my new track featuring my partner Jo on vocals. It's a finished track, but it's currently unmastered (so quite low level). Had mixed responses to this one from both friends/producers and radio DJ's. Some don't think the vocal quite works and I had reservations myself, but I found they totally grew on me, so I'm hoping this one is a grower. I'm not sure any of other tracks have been growers.

What do you guys think? Also posting this in the rough demo thread.


I love your stuff and I love this tune (makes me think of Thriller, especially at the beginning), but I have to agree with your friends and colleagues on the vocals -- they don't seem to fit the song the way they are.

There's nothing wrong with the performance (it's very good), but the vocal track doesn't jump out in the right way. They seem a bit "low" -- low in pitch, low in sparkle. I wonder if processing the vocals in a quite different way couldn't bring out a bit more clarity and punch in them. There's something about the way they're processed and mixed right now that makes the vocal feel a bit lost in the mix, and then that in turn makes the music around it seem cluttered (because the vocal isn't clear, punchy, central).

I'm not sure if that's helpful, but that's how it comes across to me.

I kind of get the idea of getting used to it (I listened to the track twice, and it gets better as it goes on), but if you care about initial impressions, you do want the vocal to feel amazing right from the start of the song, and it doesn't do that the way it currently is, IMHO.
Old 15th April 2018
  #5394
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snail View Post
I love your stuff and I love this tune (makes me think of Thriller, especially at the beginning), but I have to agree with your friends and colleagues on the vocals -- they don't seem to fit the song the way they are.

There's nothing wrong with the performance (it's very good), but the vocal track doesn't jump out in the right way. They seem a bit "low" -- low in pitch, low in sparkle. I wonder if processing the vocals in a quite different way couldn't bring out a bit more clarity and punch in them. There's something about the way they're processed and mixed right now that makes the vocal feel a bit lost in the mix, and then that in turn makes the music around it seem cluttered (because the vocal isn't clear, punchy, central).

I'm not sure if that's helpful, but that's how it comes across to me.

I kind of get the idea of getting used to it (I listened to the track twice, and it gets better as it goes on), but if you care about initial impressions, you do want the vocal to feel amazing right from the start of the song, and it doesn't do that the way it currently is, IMHO.
Really appreciate the descriptive feedback. I had actually teaked the overall thing a little as I found the timing a little off in a few places. This involved moving parts of the vocal by tiny increments and I also turned a few lines up. I also altered the drum arrangement a little, to help with the timing.

I am not sure if this will help at all with what you are saying about the vocal but please have a other quick listen and just see if it feels "any" better? Although I have sent this to the mastering house for the second time, I may try to "excite" the vocal a little.

The same link should work. Thanks
Old 15th April 2018
  #5395
Lives for gear
 
Owen L T's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Really appreciate the descriptive feedback. I had actually teaked the overall thing a little as I found the timing a little off in a few places. This involved moving parts of the vocal by tiny increments and I also turned a few lines up. I also altered the drum arrangement a little, to help with the timing.

I am not sure if this will help at all with what you are saying about the vocal but please have a other quick listen and just see if it feels "any" better? Although I have sent this to the mastering house for the second time, I may try to "excite" the vocal a little.

The same link should work. Thanks
Great track, as ever. I get the feeling as though you've got into a wood-for-the-trees type situation with the lead vocals, though; from the get go they are - IMHO, obviously - clearly too low in the mix. Objectively, they are quieter than, say, the synth licks; subjectively, they sound almost as much like BVs as a lead; virtually everything else in the mix is sitting in front of them. Don't know about later in the track, but my starting point would be that the lead vocals need to go up 2 or even 3 dB to begin to start sitting where they should.
Old 16th April 2018
  #5396
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Really appreciate the descriptive feedback. I had actually teaked the overall thing a little as I found the timing a little off in a few places. This involved moving parts of the vocal by tiny increments and I also turned a few lines up. I also altered the drum arrangement a little, to help with the timing.

I am not sure if this will help at all with what you are saying about the vocal but please have a other quick listen and just see if it feels "any" better? Although I have sent this to the mastering house for the second time, I may try to "excite" the vocal a little.

The same link should work. Thanks
I listened again but I agree with Owen L T's observations -- the vocals are still too low and "behind" the synths and other music. I listened to MJ's "Thriller" as a reference track (because your bass line reminds me of it) and you can instantly tell that in that mix, the vocals are much louder and centralized than in your song. There's also less getting in the way of them, in terms of instrumentation. So I would agree that you need to push the vocals up (in level, EQ, or by creating space for them -- or all three) and think about maybe relegating some of the things competing with the vocals to more of a backup role rather than having them so bright. It's possible that the reverb/delay processing you have on the vocals is also pushing them back a bit -- not sure about that.

Anyway, great song and hope our feedback is slightly useful.
Old 16th April 2018
  #5397
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snail View Post
I listened again but I agree with Owen L T's observations -- the vocals are still too low and "behind" the synths and other music. I listened to MJ's "Thriller" as a reference track (because your bass line reminds me of it) and you can instantly tell that in that mix, the vocals are much louder and centralized than in your song. There's also less getting in the way of them, in terms of instrumentation. So I would agree that you need to push the vocals up (in level, EQ, or by creating space for them -- or all three) and think about maybe relegating some of the things competing with the vocals to more of a backup role rather than having them so bright. It's possible that the reverb/delay processing you have on the vocals is also pushing them back a bit -- not sure about that.

Anyway, great song and hope our feedback is slightly useful.
Thanks to you and Owen. I really appreciate this sort of feedback and it is very helpful.

Jo is over critical and thus was saying her vocal was too loud in my first mix, so I lowered her, but I think you are probably right, she needs to pop out more.

I have just used some exciter on the 6K region on her vocal and added a little a new tube saturation (Sound Toys Radiator) in the chorus only.

Please take another quick listen guys and tell me what you think.
Old 16th April 2018
  #5398
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen L T View Post
Great track, as ever. I get the feeling as though you've got into a wood-for-the-trees type situation with the lead vocals, though; from the get go they are - IMHO, obviously - clearly too low in the mix. Objectively, they are quieter than, say, the synth licks; subjectively, they sound almost as much like BVs as a lead; virtually everything else in the mix is sitting in front of them. Don't know about later in the track, but my starting point would be that the lead vocals need to go up 2 or even 3 dB to begin to start sitting where they should.
Hey, I've had a tweak, please see if this is better. Have I added any problem frequencies? her voice definitely cuts through now.
Old 17th April 2018
  #5399
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Hey, I've had a tweak, please see if this is better. Have I added any problem frequencies? her voice definitely cuts through now.
It definitely sounds a lot better to me. There are still moments when the vocal goes low and gets a bit drowned out a bit by the synths, mainly I think because they are overlapping in frequencies. But at this point it kind of depends on what you're going for -- maybe having the vocals be really clear at all times during the song isn't that important to you compared to the feel of the song that you want.

BTW I listened on my Focal Solo's and also a (mono) Avantone mixcube. The Avantone is more revealing perhaps for this purpose because it is very mid-focused, so when things are overcrowded there and the vocal isn't popping out properly, it really shows. It was that which made me think that the mid's are a tad overloaded on the track (the synths are really bright) which may be creating problems for the vocal to pop out. But again, it's probably really a matter of taste!
Old 17th April 2018
  #5400
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snail View Post
It definitely sounds a lot better to me. There are still moments when the vocal goes low and gets a bit drowned out a bit by the synths, mainly I think because they are overlapping in frequencies. But at this point it kind of depends on what you're going for -- maybe having the vocals be really clear at all times during the song isn't that important to you compared to the feel of the song that you want.

BTW I listened on my Focal Solo's and also a (mono) Avantone mixcube. The Avantone is more revealing perhaps for this purpose because it is very mid-focused, so when things are overcrowded there and the vocal isn't popping out properly, it really shows. It was that which made me think that the mid's are a tad overloaded on the track (the synths are really bright) which may be creating problems for the vocal to pop out. But again, it's probably really a matter of taste!
I really do appreciate all the feedback, it's very valuable.

I have tweaked the synths EQ, automated the levels here and there to hopefully make a little more room for the vocal, although I did not do anything major as I liked how the instrumentation was sounding.

This is probably the final mix, as I'm so tired at work (my workload has tripled or more for the last 2 weeks) that it's hard for me to judge mixes or have the spare time to play! Thanks for being a second set of ears!

I've uploaded the latest mix btw.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
pinkheadedbug / Songwriting
5380
neilsby / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
353
feedback711 / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
183
dhollmusik / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
15
Brad Blackwood / High end
76

Forum Jump
Forum Jump