The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Post your "finished" demos here Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by psykostx View Post
Kind of like Type O Negative meets A Perfect Circle meets Mr Bungle. Very creative mixing. The only thing I don't like is that the sound quality is very muffled. Sounds a lot like an SM57 right up in a speaker cabinet with no room mic or anything. I really like the mixing, especially the acoustic guitar cutting in and ducking everything. The songwriting is really expertly done. Shame it's demo quality sound, I would enjoy a full album of this with recording quality that's as spectacular as the musicianship!

Where are you located? I would very much like to record you in my studio.
Whoa, thanks! Apologies - it appears my reply didn't send. I'm in Toronto! Seriously, thank you so much!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
A quick video/jam from last night that is very cat-centric. Also, he hasn't drank from the toilet today yet.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowatsmith View Post
A quick video/jam from last night that is very cat-centric. Also, he hasn't drank from the toilet today yet.

I like it!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
Here's one my daughter wrote (she's 17 now). We tracked it over her Christmas vacation (actually we did it all in one frantic day trying to get it out before Christmas).

Any suggestions?

...Listening back now I think it needs some work on the levels and maybe I should start panning some of the instrumentation left/right as its all in the middle.
Nice song, seemed like it had a solid message in the lyrics too. I could definitely imagine hearing this one on the radio during Christmas time. Your daughter is obviously very talented. I especially liked her tone when she sings in lower register with some vibrato, sounds very smooth.

I would also say that the mix needs some panning of the backing instruments as you noted. At 0:49 when the new part begins I thought I heard a sudden change in the volume of the lead vocal, as if turned down? I am not sure that sudden drop in the volume of the lead vocal complimented the change in the song part. Or maybe I am hearing things.. in addition to the tinnitus of course.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
Try that in parallel.....might be perfect for your vocals.
Thanks for the tip, I will definitely try that!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
I like it!
Hey, thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugetsu85 View Post
Nice song, seemed like it had a solid message in the lyrics too. I could definitely imagine hearing this one on the radio during Christmas time. Your daughter is obviously very talented. I especially liked her tone when she sings in lower register with some vibrato, sounds very smooth.

I would also say that the mix needs some panning of the backing instruments as you noted. At 0:49 when the new part begins I thought I heard a sudden change in the volume of the lead vocal, as if turned down? I am not sure that sudden drop in the volume of the lead vocal complimented the change in the song part. Or maybe I am hearing things.. in addition to the tinnitus of course.
Thank you - very helpful feedback!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedommer View Post
New track. Looking for some feedback. Not on the mix. More on the ideas. Whats missing. I don't even know. I've been working on this so long I am lost. Vocals are all temp. Still need to re-record them and tighten them up but they capture the idea well enough.

Picture V9 by thedommer | Free Listening on SoundCloud
I listened to your song a few times. I really dig the melody and the vibe of the lead vocal. I didn't hear any obvious need for rerecording? This leads me to the my next thought: the style and tone of the backing instrumentation is maybe not as atmospheric as the lead vocal is. Don't get me wrong, I think the rhythm track as a whole is well made and there are nice touches, I really like the piano for example.

But I feel that for this song to fulfil its full potential the backing instrumentation could have more ambience to it. I feel that the arpeggiated synth part could have more character to it to properly compliment the vibe of the song.

I like how the arrangement works at around 3:20 as the song gets quiet and then starts to build up again towards the last part, the cello(?) works great. At that moment I feel that this song is at its peak in terms of overall ambience and atmosphere.

Anyway, good job this far. Thank you for sharing this.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I listened to your song a few times. I really dig the melody and the vibe of the lead vocal. I didn't hear any obvious need for rerecording? This leads me to the my next thought: the style and tone of the backing instrumentation is maybe not as atmospheric as the lead vocal is. Don't get me wrong, I think the rhythm track as a whole is well made and there are nice touches, I really like the piano for example.

But I feel that for this song to fulfil its full potential the backing instrumentation could have more ambience to it. I feel that the arpeggiated synth part could have more character to it to properly compliment the vibe of the song.

I like how the arrangement works at around 3:20 as the song gets quiet and then starts to build up again towards the last part, the cello(?) works great. At that moment I feel that this song is at its peak in terms of overall ambience and atmosphere.

Anyway, good job this far. Thank you for sharing this.
Thanks for the response.

Rerecord off vocals is for a few reasons. Some off key vocals, different verses at different levels. I actually sang one quietly just to get the idea down because my kid was sleeping. And for the Chorus there are a few actual non-real words. haha. But yah very little will change as I am happy with the style of lyrics.

Thanks for all the other feedback. I'll keep it in mind. I love the arpeggiator but I agree it could be slightly more interesting. We shall see where it goes. I like where it is so I am going to be careful changing to much since it overall sits pretty great to me. Bass needs a bit of work also.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Agree something could be done w/the arpeggiated part. What about adding another one and panning 1 each hard L and R? Wouldn't have to be anything overly complicated, but might give it a much fuller sound. Also I felt the drums sounded muffled, FWIW. Finally I would up the volume of the vocal a notch. I think that lead vocal should lead/dominate the song more.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Agree something could be done w/the arpeggiated part. What about adding another one and panning 1 each hard L and R? Wouldn't have to be anything overly complicated, but might give it a much fuller sound. Also I felt the drums sounded muffled, FWIW. Finally I would up the volume of the vocal a notch. I think that lead vocal should lead/dominate the song more.
Definitely going to be playing with the stereofield bit more as you are right that something can be done there.

Drums muffled and vocals not loud enough is a mixing thing that I haven't touched to much of. This is technically a "mix" but its just rough with more focus on tones. Except the vocals. I haven't really focused on them much at all in terms of mixing of then a few effects and a quick preset chain. Definitely want to get those vocals a bit more centre and up front. I don't want to dive to deep into that until I rerecord. Doing some of that this weekend!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

g/l!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Hi guys, this morning I did new a mix of the song "Nothing to me Now" based on the previous feedback from @Unclenny and @DougS

I basically tried to add some character to the lead vocal without overdoing it. Mostly rethinking the compressor settings and using the ALL buttons in settings of the CLA76. I also added some "tube drive" from a plugin. I also did some changes to the stereo bus settings resulting in a tad bit louder and hopefuly a punchier mix. It would be great to hear what you guys think of the mix:

Have a great weekend all!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi guys, this morning I did new a mix of the song "Nothing to me Now" based on the previous feedback
You made some excellent moves with the vocals. They ride the music nicely now, tucked in there with much more power. It feels like you clicked that last puzzle piece in perfectly with this mix.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi guys, this morning I did new a mix of the song "Nothing to me Now" based on the previous feedback from @Unclenny and @DougS

I basically tried to add some character to the lead vocal without overdoing it. Mostly rethinking the compressor settings and using the ALL buttons in settings of the CLA76. I also added some "tube drive" from a plugin. I also did some changes to the stereo bus settings resulting in a tad bit louder and hopefuly a punchier mix. It would be great to hear what you guys think of the mix:

Have a great weekend all!
I agree with Leonard. The vocals fit really nicely into the mix now. Pulls the whole song together. Well done!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Thanks @Unclenny and @DougS - I am glad that you hear an improvement!
Old 1 week ago
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Really well done IMO. Great clarity and depth. Were the guitars doubled?

One minor thing, around the 1:40 mark the backing singer seems panned somewhat to the left, giving a slightly "off balance" feel. Anyone else getting that? I'd try to keep it closer to the middle, or have another equally right.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I don't know if this thread is just for originals but this is my last recording:
YouTube
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head
I tried to reharmonize a tune for the cat this weekend.

Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Here you go. 1 Song Demo.

Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturematt View Post
Here you go. 1 Song Demo.

This is incredible! Thank you.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good title. Which, song-wise, is 90% of the battle. Like the sultry mood you've created. Think it needs some ear-candy. And the lyrics need working on.

At 3'00 I like the top guitar melody, but when it comes in earlier (1'00, 2'00 roughly) I want to hear kind of mariachi trumpet playing it, something for textural variety.

The 'late weeks' chorus vox bit could do with some kind of slow reverse delay to build them up?

Maybe some beach noise for ambience/subliminal reinforcement? Waves and tides are a kind of temporally delayed thing. Gravitational pull of Pluto probably takes a late week to arrive here.

The lyrics, they're, eh, a bit like you haven't quite worked out what story you want to tell us? Starting with the first line 'we found you' - who's the we? Then there's a dead body, and a 'he', but I don't see really get the situation. Didn't like the 'explain/shame' half-rhyme either, play it straight eg 'in the rain' or go bigly different eg 'nothing at all'.

imho, obvs
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark View Post
Good title. Which, song-wise, is 90% of the battle. Like the sultry mood you've created. Think it needs some ear-candy. And the lyrics need working on.

At 3'00 I like the top guitar melody, but when it comes in earlier (1'00, 2'00 roughly) I want to hear kind of mariachi trumpet playing it, something for textural variety.

The 'late weeks' chorus vox bit could do with some kind of slow reverse delay to build them up?

Maybe some beach noise for ambience/subliminal reinforcement? Waves and tides are a kind of temporally delayed thing. Gravitational pull of Pluto probably takes a late week to arrive here.

The lyrics, they're, eh, a bit like you haven't quite worked out what story you want to tell us? Starting with the first line 'we found you' - who's the we? Then there's a dead body, and a 'he', but I don't see really get the situation. Didn't like the 'explain/shame' half-rhyme either, play it straight eg 'in the rain' or go bigly different eg 'nothing at all'.

imho, obvs
Thanks a lot for the honest criticism, I really appreciate it a lot! The song deals with several deaths of people that I know; I made this song as an all encompassing song dedicated to them. I usually write abstract lyrics just because I prefer people to have their own interpretation about what my songs are about - but the song is about suicide.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

About 1996 --- E drums ...
Attached Files

IT TAKES A LONG TIME.mp3 (11.87 MB, 93 views)

Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search