The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your "finished" demos here
Old 5th September 2017
Gear Head
feedback

just finished this a few weeks ago. worked pretty hard on it. thinking i should fill it out with more backround vox or something of that nature. i ended up gating the track becuase it added some interesting things but forgot to automate it so it goes off at the end of the track. it will be fixed in the end fyi. thoughts?
Attached Files

tminusmaster8.mp3 (9.51 MB, 858 views)

Old 5th September 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by kretzmonster View Post
just finished this a few weeks ago. worked pretty hard on it. thinking i should fill it out with more backround vox or something of that nature. i ended up gating the track becuase it added some interesting things but forgot to automate it so it goes off at the end of the track. it will be fixed in the end fyi. thoughts?
Really enjoyable

In the chorus I'd push synth and guitars a bit back and open verbs and space to make everything more lyric; maybe I'd carve out things around 800Hz.

*pushing play again bc sounds nice*
Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear

needs more "magic" done to the vocals (i.e. effects like delay)
Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great voice!
Old 5th September 2017
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by luka View Post
Really enjoyable

In the chorus I'd push synth and guitars a bit back and open verbs and space to make everything more lyric; maybe I'd carve out things around 800Hz.

*pushing play again bc sounds nice*

Thanks. I'll def give that a shot. I had a hard time deciphering how far back to set the guitars because I thought it sounded empty when I started to pull down the fader. Maybe I need to cut some harsh freqs in those guitars and that would make them sit better.
Old 5th September 2017
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovemode View Post
Great voice!
Thanks !
Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Really like that mate, sounds individual to me, which is great.

I agree that you could add some nice delay to the vocal in the chorus, with may be some double tracking or even triple/quadruple tracking in a few places, but don't have the same delay on the other layers as the main layer. I also agree the guitar needs thinning or pushing back in the chorus. May be try some obvious EQing on the guitar there, so the EQ is an effect. Just a few ideas.

Love the track and want to hear more from you, so please post a link to your stuff.
Old 5th September 2017
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Really like that mate, sounds individual to me, which is great.

I agree that you could add some nice delay to the vocal in the chorus, with may be some double tracking or even triple/quadruple tracking in a few places, but don't have the same delay on the other layers as the main layer. I also agree the guitar needs thinning or pushing back in the chorus. May be try some obvious EQing on the guitar there, so the EQ is an effect. Just a few ideas.

Love the track and want to hear more from you, so please post a link to your stuff.
thanks! all sound like good ideas. should help to give a little more depth, which i've been trying to do. i actually only have 1 other track which im comfortable to show. i was still developing my style and what i wanted to go for until recently. i've also only been actively persuing this for about a year and a half. i got laid off 2 weeks ago from my union job so im really hunkering down and trying to get **** done. i don't want to be a pipe welder/fitter the rest of my life. my knees and hips already hurt and im only 29! blood money! ill just post the other track along with this thread. i have to warn you tho. kind of just messing around with this one, learning more technique and starting to use my ears. i feel like i've made large strides since this track. here it is...
Attached Files

jurrasicritual5.mp3 (8.30 MB, 680 views)

Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
I don't see anything "odd" about it, unless you mean the voices effect in the beginning, which worked well. Really nice, very bright clean sound. I may be looking you up for tips on gear/mixing.
Thanks for that, Bill.....especially about the mix quality. I was a bit worried about those voices. I armed four tracks and read off the first four pages of my catalog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwaves View Post
So...you hear voices too? We thought so! haha
I do........and thanks for listening, my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccouch7 View Post
Very nice Unclenny, I really like it! Actually I really like alot of your songs that I've heard on here.
Also the mix sounds great to me.
I can't tell you how much I appreciate that. I just post everything....obviously....have been since back around page 3 or 4. Thanks.
Old 5th September 2017
Gear Nut

Mixed and mastered all ITB on headphones. Let me know what you think or what could be improved

https://soundcloud.com/jackparris/li...k-parris-remix
Old 5th September 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Thanks. I'll def give that a shot. I had a hard time deciphering how far back to set the guitars because I thought it sounded empty when I started to pull down the fader. Maybe I need to cut some harsh freqs in those guitars and that would make them sit better.
Great idea! you can fill the emptiness with a dark delay on guitars, a soft pad or some variation in the bassline.

Hey, do whatever you want, you already got a fan
Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendeathmusic View Post
Thought I was finished with this one a while back, but recently got a Realistic Moog MG-1 and it turned out to be the missing element!

Hope someone here enjoys:

https://goldendeathmusic.bandcamp.co...deadly-weather

If anyone is interested, the drums are Addictive Drums 2, the Rhodes is from Addictive Keys, and everything else is a real instrument (electric guitar, clarinet, and a Moog MG-1). DAW is Reaper and interface is a Tascam UH-7000.
That's a awesome track; tons of vibe, and a really distinctive feel that's hard to coax out of DAW based productions.

My ONE note would be on the extended guitar solo outro: all the ideas are good, but there is no breathing room between any of the phrases/ideas. Not even a 1/16th note gap for one idea to end, or the sound of the guitar to decay. I don't know if that's because it's a comped take of various free-form ideas, or not, but there's a lot to be said for working on the ends of phrases, as well as the phrases themselves, and you'd get more mileage from the outro if, for the first 16 bars at least, there was breathing room between the ideas - though you could move into more continuous playing for the remainder, which would build the intensity.
Old 6th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarab View Post
Been a long time. A snippet again. I find there's something wrong with the vocals in some parts... can't pinpoint it. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!
https://youtu.be/7hbJsEsH4xQ
First before I forget it, it sounds like the beginning of the song got cut off - hope that was just on the youtube thing you posted

Not sure on the vocals, but I think I see what you mean and hard to put my finger on it too. To start I think they need to be a bit louder relative to everything else, which seems to be drowning it out a bit. And maybe a little less mid-range, a little more lower-end "thump." These are of course just guesses. Sounds good overall though!
Old 6th September 2017
Gear Head
I wrote this a couple of months ago and was playing with the mix today.
Any mixing sugestions are welcome.
https://soundcloud.com/iluvstrats/philistine
Old 6th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
First before I forget it, it sounds like the beginning of the song got cut off - hope that was just on the youtube thing you posted

Not sure on the vocals, but I think I see what you mean and hard to put my finger on it too. To start I think they need to be a bit louder relative to everything else, which seems to be drowning it out a bit. And maybe a little less mid-range, a little more lower-end "thump." These are of course just guesses. Sounds good overall though!
Thanks..really appreciate it You're most probably right about the midrange. I'll see what I can do with the eq (shudder). The backing/harmony tracks still not done, so it will get thicker, in the chorus at least.

Oh, and that's just a random cut segment from the entire track, that's why it starts abruptly. Gonna be released soon, so didn't wanna post the entire thing.
Old 6th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Been a long time. A snippet again. I find there's something wrong with the vocals in some parts... can't pinpoint it. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!
https://youtu.be/7hbJsEsH4xQ
The vocals do feel a bit to far back in the mix to me, but only at times. I'd be trying some sort of saturation or lo-fi plug that is very subtly automated to bring the vocal out strong at certain times.

I might do the same thing with an automated short delay to add body.

EDIT: Just listened again....this might be a good place to try that trick where you compress the vocal reverb with a compressor that is keyed by the vocal. That would bring the vocal out to the front more while still preserving the reverb tail.

Looking forward to hearing this release.

Last edited by Unclenny; 6th September 2017 at 10:25 AM..
Old 6th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
The vocals do feel a bit to far back in the mix to me, but only at times. I'd be trying some sort of saturation or lo-fi plug that is very subtly automated to bring the vocal out strong at certain times.

I might do the same thing with an automated short delay to add body.

EDIT: Just listened again....this might be a good place to try that trick where you compress the vocal reverb with a compressor that is keyed by the vocal. That would bring the vocal out to the front more while still preserving the reverb tail.

Looking forward to hearing this release.
Thanks. You mean like a gated reverb? Hmm...one more thing to try
Old 6th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen L T View Post
That's a awesome track; tons of vibe, and a really distinctive feel that's hard to coax out of DAW based productions.

My ONE note would be on the extended guitar solo outro: all the ideas are good, but there is no breathing room between any of the phrases/ideas. Not even a 1/16th note gap for one idea to end, or the sound of the guitar to decay. I don't know if that's because it's a comped take of various free-form ideas, or not, but there's a lot to be said for working on the ends of phrases, as well as the phrases themselves, and you'd get more mileage from the outro if, for the first 16 bars at least, there was breathing room between the ideas - though you could move into more continuous playing for the remainder, which would build the intensity.

Wow, Owen. Thank you so much for the kind words and very insightful criticism. You have no idea how much I appreciate your listening and feedback! You are right about the solo, it was comped from 3 or so different takes but I tried to use as much of a single take as possible. This solo is also a bit of a departure for me as usually when I am playing a guitar solo it is in the context of a psychedelic rock song and I'm trying to overload people's minds with ideas haha. Anyway, thanks again and I wish you all the best to you and your own music.
Old 6th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks. You mean like a gated reverb? Hmm...one more thing to try
Not gated......compressed a bit more gently than that with the reverb compressor sidechained to the vocals. The vocals trigger the compressor so that the reverb is lessened while you are singing and then releases after each phrase. If you get the release just right it gets nicely musical. It lets the vocal phrases come forward a bit more while still keeping the reverb tail intact to fill the spaces between phrases.

Try it out and see.......hit the threshold hard with a fast attack and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Old 6th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
Not gated......compressed a bit more gently than that with the reverb compressor sidechained to the vocals. The vocals trigger the compressor so that the reverb is lessened while you are singing and then releases after each phrase. If you get the release just right it gets nicely musical. It lets the vocal phrases come forward a bit more while still keeping the reverb tail intact to fill the spaces between phrases.

Try it out and see.......hit the threshold hard with a fast attack and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Ah, got it. Only experienced people would know such stuff..thanks a lot Gonna try it.
Old 6th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Parris View Post
Mixed and mastered all ITB on headphones. Let me know what you think or what could be improved

https://soundcloud.com/jackparris/li...k-parris-remix
Fantastic stuff! Really digging that lead tone as well. Very organic and vibe-y. Good job
Old 9th September 2017
Gear Nut

We're not open today

Here is a song I wrote about how it feels, to me, to be an American right now. This was recorded and mixed in three different home studios by three contributors. I play the guitars, Bass, and do the vocals.

One thing I will point out is that the 2 electric guitars are Kemper profiles. I love this thing!

https://soundcloud.com/tom-paul-2/were-not-open-today
Old 10th September 2017
Here for the gear

Hi all!

First time posting anything here, thought I might give it a try. Comments welcome!
https://soundcloud.com/tomjw-1/back-to-reality

Thanks, Tom
Old 10th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerblue View Post
Hi all!

First time posting anything here, thought I might give it a try. Comments welcome!

Thanks, Tom
Hey Tom, welcome and thanks for posting.

I like it. Just a very quick play on my MacBook Pro speakers, so won't give any mix comments but as a song, it had some nice elements. It reminds me of something from a Disney et al animated film. Hope you take that as a compliment.

Nice job.
Old 10th September 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Hey Tom, welcome and thanks for posting.

I like it. Just a very quick play on my MacBook Pro speakers, so won't give any mix comments but as a song, it had some nice elements. It reminds me of something from a Disney et al animated film. Hope you take that as a compliment.

Nice job.
Thanks! I've realised it will need more 'oomph' from the middle onwards from other commenters. Disney is great, e.g. Frozen let it go And I really like the 'older' songs by Alan Menken, great composer!
Old 13th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi all!

Thanks, Tom
Love how you have the synths coming out strong both L and R; are they doubled?

Also I just said these two things about someone else's songs - either you're the same guy or it's me.

1 - Vocals need lots of de-essing
2 - Vocals also sound kinda boxy to me, might try trimming some mids? Or ease off reverb a bit?
Old 13th September 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPaul View Post
Here is a song I wrote about how it feels, to me, to be an American right now. This was recorded and mixed in three different home studios by three contributors. I play the guitars, Bass, and do the vocals.

One thing I will point out is that the 2 electric guitars are Kemper profiles. I love this thing!

https://soundcloud.com/tom-paul-2/were-not-open-today
Killer song man! Nice work all around, especially like your vocals.
Mix sounds perfect here to me. Seriously good stuff!!
Old 13th September 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPaul View Post
The value of truth itself is at stake. I, for one, am frightened and disgusted.

https://soundcloud.com/tom-paul-2/lies-fnl
Another killer tune man!! Really, really like your stuff!!
Awesome songwriting and recording.
Hope you don't mind if I follow you on SoundCloud.
Old 13th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi all!

Thanks, Tom

Definitely an infectious tune with a great hook chorus.

I agree with bill5 about a bit of de-essing.
Old 13th September 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccouch7 View Post
Another killer tune man!! Really, really like your stuff!!
Awesome songwriting and recording.
Hope you don't mind if I follow you on SoundCloud.
Thanks for the encouragement!! I'd love you to follow me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search