The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your "finished" demos here
Old 1st April 2016
@ Unclenny

I listened to Union Station and Born on Third. Wonderful compositions. I don't know your age, and I wouldn't even venture a guess, but that texture on your voice..it's absolutely amazing. I'll be going through the rest of them when I get the time. Thanks again for the link. Cheers

@ robert82

You exaggerate , but thank you for the kind words, good sir. I'm glad you liked the track. Cheers
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarab View Post
I don't know your age, and I wouldn't even venture a guess

After 64 years on this planet I am starting to find my groove. Thank you for your kind words, Kumar....and for listening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
Sounded to me like a record-ready production.
I have not known Robert to exaggerate. His critiques are always honest and to the point.

Old 1st April 2016
Gear Head

Old track that I enjoyed working on, creating the backing music to accompany the Guitar & Vocals.

Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

my new song, just made a vid for it:

Last edited by faramita; 1st April 2016 at 11:34 PM..
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Did this recently. Very Indian (ghazal with pop/rock elements you could say). Also sung in Hindi, so apologies to all who won't understand (most, I guess). It's dedicated to sisters btw.

https://soundcloud.com/sunny-musicwi...nres/bhar-gaya

P.S.--Not exactly a pro at mixing etc..so I'm sure it has sonic problems.
It sounds great!

My ONE note on this would be: it sounds (to me) like the higher-pitched percussion instrument is in front of the two vocalists. I think this is a combination of volume and ambience - the percussion is bone dry, and as a result it's right at the front; the vocals have some (extremely nice) ambience to them, and consequently sound further back - as well as being, possibly, slightly too quiet. The result is that, if I close my eyes (but even if I don't) the higher-pitched percussion sounds like it's right in front of my face, and the voices a few feet behind it.

Everything else sounds really well balanced, mixed and treated (and you obviously have a decent-sounding reverb to hand), so my guess is a 30 second tweak would get the job done.
Old 2nd April 2016
@ Owen L T

Thank you for that invaluable advice. Really appreciate it. I've only ever mixed my own songs..a dozen or so. I'm getting the hang of it ever since I got some decent equipment. My earlier recordings sound like a mess. You're right, the tabla does sound more upfront than the vocals in certain parts..I'll try and fix that to the best of my ability. I'm a singer-songwriter-musician at heart, but mixing advice/tips are still precious to me. Every bit of polish is worth it. Cheers, and thanks again.
Regards,
Kumar
Old 2nd April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by faramita View Post
That is wonderful , quirky and funny.
Old 2nd April 2016
@ Owen L T
As expected, the difference between a pro and an amateur rears its head I expected a quick 30 second fix like you said. Which was fine when I bounced the mix. But then, I completely forgot what I did on the master the last time, so I had to do it by ear again (as I always have to)...and I'm not yet finished, ha ha. Might be a better idea to develop some kind of recall/workflow. I shall post a link again, and I'd be very grateful if you (and others) could comment on it. Don't be surprised if it sounds different, there's a good chance it just might Thanks again.
Regards,
Kumar
Old 2nd April 2016
Lives for gear

One take -- quick one in the studio https://soundcloud.com/cjogo/feathers
Old 4th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusD View Post
Old track that I enjoyed working on, creating the backing music to accompany the Guitar & Vocals.

Marcus, pardon me, for I am three Bulleits into my evening, but I love the sound of this . . . I mean by that, the musicality of it. The vocal is outstanding . . . that is one gifted singer. But to me, this is an example of needing to "make space" in the recording for the various parts. At first, I hear phasing left and right, and I wonder if that continues on into the body of the song. The mix is hazy. You probably have all the information you need vis. recording the tracks, but if you look at the waveform of your Soundcloud, it's pretty dense. I would love to hear this song breathe more.
Old 4th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

My god, who are you and where have you been all my life? This, my friend, is art. Thank you.

"Eat a lot of ice cream"
"Text me when you're there"

You are a guru.
Old 4th April 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusD View Post

Liking it a lot, but agree that may be a little less going on during the verses may make it even better?
Old 4th April 2016
Quote:

That was great. I almost couldn't breath when you were doing the ice cream thing
Old 4th April 2016
Old 4th April 2016
Lives for gear

Many thanks.
Old 4th April 2016
Quote:
Many thanks.
Please do more.
Old 5th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
@ Owen L T
As expected, the difference between a pro and an amateur rears its head I expected a quick 30 second fix like you said. Which was fine when I bounced the mix. But then, I completely forgot what I did on the master the last time, so I had to do it by ear again (as I always have to)...and I'm not yet finished, ha ha. Might be a better idea to develop some kind of recall/workflow. I shall post a link again, and I'd be very grateful if you (and others) could comment on it. Don't be surprised if it sounds different, there's a good chance it just might Thanks again.
Regards,
Kumar
So, do you export the mix, then master the stereo wav file in a separate project? (For instance, if you have any CPU hogs that can't easily be used in the full session - like the Slate FG-X mastering stuff.) If so - and, of course, you've now figured this out the hard way - it's worthwhile saving the mastering project separately, so that if a re-bounce of the mix is necessary, you can quickly re-open the mastering project, and have that to hand for a second bounce.

Also makes it easy to hear/compare the different mixes side by side, if you keep importing successive versions into the mastering project.

Of course, observant Slutz will point out that a new mix may well require new mastering settings as well, and they'd be right, of course! But a lot faster/easier if you have the settings you used on the last mix to hand; and if the only change is a bit of reverb on an instrument, or turning something down a bit then ... chances are you'll leave the mastering settings right where they were anyway.
Old 5th April 2016
Here for the gear

(COVER) The Strokes "Hard to explain"

Listen to Hard to Explain - The Strokes (cover) by (earthto)clinton #np on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/clinton-maher...in-the-strokes

Not my songwriting obviously! But a demo none the less..any input is appreciated
Old 5th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen L T View Post
So, do you export the mix, then master the stereo wav file in a separate project? (For instance, if you have any CPU hogs that can't easily be used in the full session - like the Slate FG-X mastering stuff.) If so - and, of course, you've now figured this out the hard way - it's worthwhile saving the mastering project separately, so that if a re-bounce of the mix is necessary, you can quickly re-open the mastering project, and have that to hand for a second bounce.

Also makes it easy to hear/compare the different mixes side by side, if you keep importing successive versions into the mastering project.

Of course, observant Slutz will point out that a new mix may well require new mastering settings as well, and they'd be right, of course! But a lot faster/easier if you have the settings you used on the last mix to hand; and if the only change is a bit of reverb on an instrument, or turning something down a bit then ... chances are you'll leave the mastering settings right where they were anyway.
I know, rookie mistake. And yes, I master in a separate project. Don't have anything like Slate etc though. I do have the T-Racks and Toneboosters bundles but most of them just sit there. Anyway, thanks again for pointing out that depth issue. It really was invaluable. I'm working on another song (sort of mid tempo pop rock), and I'm already very careful with the snare
Old 5th April 2016
https://soundcloud.com/justsomeguylookin/gray

I should say that my songs are song demos, not performer demos
Old 7th April 2016
Hey slutz,

This is my band's second demo that I've engineered. We were going for intimate and immersive downtempo indie-rock.

https://blackmelanite.bandcamp.com/

Old 7th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmission View Post
https://soundcloud.com/justsomeguylookin/gray

I should say that my songs are song demos, not performer demos
I like this one. It's a good performance of a very cool song. This song has an edge.

It's that electric guitar that does that for me....
Old 7th April 2016
Old 7th April 2016
Lives for gear

......and while I'm in the neighborhood....this new one is about as finished as it's going to get.

One More Kiss

Old 7th April 2016
I like it.

Boy, are you prolific. I thought I wrote allot of stuff
Old 7th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
......and while I'm in the neighborhood....this new one is about as finished as it's going to get.

One More Kiss

You're a total badass Loved this one....has this sort of spontaneous, unproduced, I'm-just-doing-my-thing feel to it that's endearing, and the melody is understated yet superb. Kudos.
Old 7th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmission View Post
I like it.

Boy, are you prolific. I thought I wrote allot of stuff
I just need to be writing these days.....they come, I catch them. Glad you liked this one.

Quote:
spontaneous, unproduced, I'm-just-doing-my-thing feel
I guess that's me, Kumar.

Thanks for listening to it and for the kind words.
Old 12th April 2016
Here for the gear

I thought about making this one the "single" from my album. It seems to be the one people like, and one of the more accessible tracks.

https://thewavegilders.bandcamp.com/track/sunday
Old 12th April 2016
Here for the gear
Hello,Gearslutz community!

I'm quite a beginner when it comes to mixing,I usually do guitar related stuff but I occasionally dabble in this "epic" orchestral stuff. This is my second orchestral composition and I'm quite happy with the way it came out (considering that I'm a beginner at stuff like this),not 100% happy with the mix though,(mixing orchestra with one mic position is hard ) but I thought that I should release it so I can move on with my other stuff. Feedback on the mix and the composition is greatly appreciated!

(I'm also new here,joined about five minutes ago,nice to meet ya!)

https://soundcloud.com/mrlinssi/legacy
Old 13th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLinssi View Post
Feedback on the mix and the composition is greatly appreciated!

https://soundcloud.com/mrlinssi/legacy
It sounded pretty good to me.

Welcome!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search