The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your "finished" demos here
Old 23rd March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsams View Post
Let me know what you think. I wrote, recorded and mixed the song.

https://soundcloud.com/music-ams/home7
very nice
Old 23rd March 2016
Here for the gear
Eeesh

Alright, well, I haven't recorded anything in nearly a year, but, this was one of the last songs I did do.

As is the case with most things in my life, I get a hair up my ass, do it all in a day, then don't do anything again for ages.

Hope someone likes it

https://soundcloud.com/themuscle/bone-rattler
Old 23rd March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanpotter View Post
Alright, well, I haven't recorded anything in nearly a year, but, this was one of the last songs I did do.

As is the case with most things in my life, I get a hair up my ass, do it all in a day, then don't do anything again for ages.

Hope someone likes it

I think its a good song. I really like the vibe. But I think the vocals need some work. Sounds like you are going for that low-emotion, "matter of fact" feel to the vocals at the start - but I think they need more tension and purpose around the point where you say "boys need a lift...".

Later in the song the vocals get buried in the mix and I could not hear them well enough - I would turn them up a bit. I would say the chorus needs a bit more volume also and is a little lose where you say "You need to get some thicker skin".

I think its close to being really good. To me just needs a bit more polished vocal performance.
Old 23rd March 2016
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
I think its a good song. I really like the vibe. But I think the vocals need some work. Sounds like you are going for that low-emotion, "matter of fact" feel to the vocals at the start - but I think they need more tension and purpose around the point where you say "boys need a lift...".

Later in the song the vocals get buried in the mix and I could not hear them well enough - I would turn them up a bit. I would say the chorus needs a bit more volume also and is a little lose where you say "You need to get some thicker skin".

I think its close to being really good. To me just needs a bit more polished vocal performance.
Thanks for the feedback Doug, much appreciated.

Don't consider myself much of a singer but I can give it another go :P
Old 23rd March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback Doug, much appreciated.

Don't consider myself much of a singer but I can give it another go :P
I think your vocal is totally appropriate, and cool! (The English accent doesn't hurt!) Like the other poster said, more balance, that's all. But the roughness of the whole production is part of its appeal.
Old 24th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 View Post
I think your vocal is totally appropriate, and cool! (The English accent doesn't hurt!) Like the other poster said, more balance, that's all. But the roughness of the whole production is part of its appeal.
Then again, I could be totally wrong!
Old 24th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm sure the OP would want you to know that his accent is decidedly Australian, NOT English. (I'm writing this from the UK. Used to play at a Backpacker pub, where learning to distinguish between an Aussie and Kiwi accent was ... a survival skill.)
Old 24th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Hope someone likes it

I'm 90% in agreement with DougS's comment. Only difference is, my first thought is that it's a mixing issue, rather than a performance one.

Vocals probably need to come up a smidge overally, but definitely get buried in the middle "Bone rattler" bit - which could be as simple as you were semi-talking rather than singing out, and you just need to do a clip-gain boost of 3dB or so for that part. But, overall all, possibly it just needs to be (a) a little more up; and (b) a little more "tucked in" - this sounds like one of those rare GS instances where the vocal may actually be undercompressed!

Also, I'm hearing some lower-mid mud in the vocals as well - somewhere around 200Hz, is a pretty likely candidate. As well as boosting the vocal overall, a dip somewhere around this region would help lift and separate the vocals. (Did I just equate an eq move to a bra?!)
Old 25th March 2016
Here for the gear

Cool Tune

Hey man, really liked it. Had me feeling kinda early Iggy.
A bit of a rough mix but liking the rawness.
One thing, after the beginning groove and them some changes, my ear was waiting for it to go back for one more verse like the 1st. one.
Best regards,
Jim.
Old 25th March 2016
Lives for gear

Can y'all take a listen to this...

https://soundcloud.com/brotherbrim/keep-moving

Trying new gear and getting used to a new room... Sounds great in the room, flabby in the car... What are you hearing?

Thanks!
Old 25th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post

Trying new gear and getting used to a new room... Sounds great in the room, flabby in the car... What are you hearing?

Thanks!
If this mix were viewed on a meter bridge, I doubt any of the needles would move from their pinned positions to the right. A wee bit hot, shall we say.

Just my old fashioned hearing, I guess.
Old 25th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
If this mix were viewed on a meter bridge, I doubt any of the needles would move from their pinned positions to the right. A wee bit hot, shall we say.

Just my old fashioned hearing, I guess.
What is this meter bridge and needles you speak of?

Lol

I didn't think I printed that hot... I shall look again!
Old 25th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks!
I love the way this song moves, the guitar work and your hot delivery! I like all of your stuff for that reason.

I listened on my good Ultrasones and it does sound a bit overcooked. Maybe it's overpowering your car system.
Old 25th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks!
Wall. Of. Sound. Arrangement and playing sound great. Levels ... possibly Too Hot. Some seriously pumping on the repeat crashes around 2:10 (enough, it felt to me, that I had no sense of whether they were on the beat, off the beat, or somewhere in between), which may speak to the degree of needle-pinning/compressor-slamming that may or may not be going on.
Old 26th March 2016
Lives for gear

I looked up the whole "meters" and "levels" thing on Wikipedia... lol

This is what happens when you're a slut, sometimes... You try to use every dime of every piece of gear at the same time.

Fixing...

Thanks for the great (as always) notes!
Old 27th March 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:

Thanks!
It sounds very compressed radio like. It felt like i was listening to the local radio station. Soundwise and songwise

I like it.
Old 29th March 2016
Here for the gear
Hey bgood,
The track sounds like it's mastered a bit too loud to me, bit squashed, lacking in dynamic range.
It's not a bad blues rock tune though, and the music and vocals are performed well.
Old 29th March 2016
Here for the gear
Quote:

Hope someone likes it

Vocals need to come up in the mix and be eq'd properly Norman, by far and way the most important part of any track that features a lead vocal is the lead vocal!
They have to be loud and clear. Listen to any professionally recorded song on the radio, Adele or whoever. The lead vocal shoots out at you.
Just some constructive criticism.
Old 29th March 2016
Gear Head

I had a random request to find Donald Trump quotes and put some music to them. Purely to show how nuts the guy is with some of the remarks he makes.. Bit of a silly track TBH.

EDIT: sorry guys, video has been put on private now.

Old 29th March 2016
Here for the gear

Did this one about 6 months ago in my bedroom so I would hope my recording/mixing has come along a bit since then. Anyway I'm thinking of using it as a demo to generate some interest in a new EP i'm about to finish recording so it'd be great to know what people think

https://soundcloud.com/king-shoey/somebody-elses-girl
Old 29th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusD View Post
I had a random request to find Donald Trump quotes and put some music to them. Purely to show how nuts the guy is with some of the remarks he makes.. Bit of a silly track TBH.

You should edit that, and after every "Who's gonna pay for the " plug in a Bernie Sanders promise.

That'd be funny.
Old 30th March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Outstanding work! (Plus, as a bonus, it's a good track all by itself.)
Old 30th March 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmission View Post
You should edit that, and after every "Who's gonna pay for the " plug in a Bernie Sanders promise.

That'd be funny.
Haha! Not a bad idea.

I found a video of the former president Mr Fox saying " we are not gonna pay for that f*****g wall" might add it in at the end just to round it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen L T View Post
Outstanding work! (Plus, as a bonus, it's a good track all by itself.)
Cheers Owen
Old 30th March 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiggit View Post
Did this one about 6 months ago in my bedroom so I would hope my recording/mixing has come along a bit since then. Anyway I'm thinking of using it as a demo to generate some interest in a new EP i'm about to finish recording so it'd be great to know what people think

https://soundcloud.com/king-shoey/somebody-elses-girl
I like it.

Think the mix is fine, but I was missing a bit of body/low end. Wonder if the guitar could have so lower mids put back in, then add a little more low to the bass that comes in.

I'm no expert, so can't give any specific frequencies, but I would say as you have kept the vocal also quite light, that adding some body to the guitar would not be fighting the vocal.

Good luck with the promotion.
Old 30th March 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:

I enjoyed that!
Old 31st March 2016
Did this recently. Very Indian (ghazal with pop/rock elements you could say). Also sung in Hindi, so apologies to all who won't understand (most, I guess). It's dedicated to sisters btw.

https://soundcloud.com/sunny-musicwi...nres/bhar-gaya

P.S.--Not exactly a pro at mixing etc..so I'm sure it has sonic problems.
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarab View Post
Did this recently. Very Indian (ghazal with pop/rock elements you could say). Also sung in Hindi, so apologies for all who won't understand (most, I guess). It's dedicated to sisters btw.

https://soundcloud.com/sunny-musicwi...nres/bhar-gaya

P.S.--Not exaclty a pro at mixing etc..so I'm sure it has sonic problems.
I enjoyed that very much.......nice electric guitar passage at around 3:00.

in an odd cross-cultural way this reminds me a bit of my own material. I'll give this another listen in the studio tonight before I track.

Old 31st March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
I enjoyed that very much.......nice electric guitar passage at around 3:00.

in an odd cross-cultural way this reminds me a bit of my own material. I'll give this another listen in the studio tonight before I track.

Thank you. I'm glad you liked it. I'd really like to listen to your tracks.

Regards,
Kumar
Old 31st March 2016
Lives for gear

@ kumarab

I really did enjoy that piece....have played it for a few colleagues.

Feel free to stop in at my place:

Music page of Leonard Scaper - MP3 music page on SoundClick

Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarab View Post

P.S.--Not exaclty a pro at mixing etc..so I'm sure it has sonic problems.
Sounded to me like a record-ready production. Absolutely beautiful! Sunrise over the Ganges.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search