The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Post your "finished" demos here
Old 25th September 2015
  #3061
Lives for gear
 
Lenzo's Avatar
When I was a kid I lived across the street from a railroad yard and once or twice a week I'd see guys jumping in and out of box cars. Sometimes they'd come over and ask for water and food. As a kid I thought that was the life. I still think that might be kind of fun to just sneak aboard and see where it takes me. But at this point I've only written a song about those guys.

L.
Old 25th September 2015
  #3062
Lives for gear
 
Unclenny's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenzo View Post
at this point I've only written a song about those guys.

L.
Another seriously good tune here!

I knew I was going to be liking this one right from the start...great lead in. And...ah...about that harmonica.....

I thought you said you didn't know how to play that thing.

Great guitar tones as well......
Old 25th September 2015
  #3063
Lives for gear
Posted an earlier mix of this before, but here is the final. Anything wrong with a happy song that makes you feel like driving the car with the windows down?? Give it a listen. All comments welcome and thanks for listening.
https://soundcloud.com/rob-layman/th...nown-master_16
Old 26th September 2015
  #3064
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkbrass View Post
This starts off as a brass cover for the original theme and transitions into a latin thing. worth listening to the whole thing i thing. Things one does out of shear boredom...

Really good transcription, I like the latin part especially, it fits there so well. You did a cover from a song from the one of the best video games ever made and executed it perfectly, your cover sounds just as good (if not even better) as Nobuo's original composition, you totally nailed it !
Old 26th September 2015
  #3065
Gear Maniac
 

Hey all! I know I don't post too often but I lurk almost every day. This isn't actually a demo but a song I co-wrote called "Against the World" got picked up by Polish artists Remo and Jeremi Sikorski.

The current single from the album is called Bombsite A (which I did not write) and it was number 1 on iTunes over there (it knocked 1D out of the top spot!). If my song gets enough love as an album track there is a possibility it will become a single with a music video and promoted to radio! I would SO appreciate anybody streaming or buying the track! Every listen gets it closer to being the next single! This is my first "for real" published song!


https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-q9Cd5QHGMY

Remofere by Remo
https://itun.es/us/gpCW9
Old 26th September 2015
  #3066
Lives for gear
 
Lenzo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
Another seriously good tune here!

I knew I was going to be liking this one right from the start...great lead in. And...ah...about that harmonica.....

I thought you said you didn't know how to play that thing.

Great guitar tones as well......
Thanks again for listening Leonard. I have a friend who has come in a couple of times to do some harp work. He is a monster on both harmonica and sax. When I listen to him I realize how little I know about playing harmonica.
L.
Old 27th September 2015
  #3067
Here for the gear
 

Dance!

Old 28th September 2015
  #3068
Lives for gear
 
Owen L T's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlyvevo View Post
i felt like uploading this. please keep two things in mind.

one: it is a freestyle, meaning it has been written and instantly taped afterward, in one or two takes. so any minor flow mistakes, wrong notes, excuse me. just take it in general.

second, the studio it was recorded in was cheap without any kind of studio requirements fulfilled, like isolation.. no mixing, no mastering. hellyeah :D

like to share something for a change.

also couplet 2 hadn't even been written, completely out of the head.

at second notice this would be better for rough demo's. didn't know there was one. :D
Hate to say it, but it's dangerously close to Journey's 'Open Arms' - as in, if this were released and was successful, they'd sue and win! Had to listen carefully on youtube, as at first I thought you might have sampled it, but it's possible you were completely unawares ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5pUOVC50Y8
Old 29th September 2015
  #3069
Lives for gear
 
Unclenny's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by anurlazaron View Post
So very cool.....

Gil Scott Heron....meets....John Martyn....meets....Bobby McFerrin...

...and over much too soon.



Old 29th September 2015
  #3070
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
So very cool.....

Gil Scott Heron....meets....John Martyn....meets....Bobby McFerrin...

...and over much too soon.




so pleased to hear... thank you!
and how exactly you named the artists!

ps by the way there is a acoustic full project on youtube channel, so if you have time and interest you are welcome to listen



Old 29th September 2015
  #3071
Lives for gear
 
Unclenny's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by anurlazaron View Post
if you have time and interest you are welcome to listen



It is 7:00 AM here on the east coast of the US and I am listening to this fine piece of music in my office as I get my day job started. I will definitely listen to the entire piece.

I love the sound of the hallway....suits the music nicely.
Old 29th September 2015
  #3072
Gear Nut
 

This is a tune that I think is finished. I used more synths in this one than I normally do so it was a challenge getting all of them to sit right.

https://soundcloud.com/bradrosten/passage
Old 30th September 2015
  #3073
Gear Maniac
 
BCProject's Avatar
 

New instrumental rock song

I have no delusions of grandeur or striking originality - I write & record music for the joy of it, to try and figure out how they make rock music sound so good (and slowly figure out why my stuff doesn't).

Feedback humbly requested.

Old 30th September 2015
  #3074
Lives for gear
 

I'm still thoroughly enjoying being in a band again. Here's a new song that is a bit different to the previous two. Would love to hear what you guys think:

Old 30th September 2015
  #3075
Gear Maniac
 
BCProject's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerV View Post
I'm still thoroughly enjoying being in a band again. Here's a new song that is a bit different to the previous two. Would love to hear what you guys think:
Nice song! Good pocket & groove. I like the dynamic between the vocals in verse & chorus. I always like hearing 2 (or more) featured vocalists in a song.
Old 30th September 2015
  #3076
Here for the gear
I wrote a more of a post-rock style song this time, I'd really like to hear what you guys think about it (I don't listen to post-rock/metal/ambient stuff much so I'd especially like to hear if the mix is too "clean"). I usually write my songs to the TuxGuitar but I just started recording/writing this when I only had the drum beat in the beginning figured out, I almost stopped working on this song but luckily had enough patience and here's the result, try to enjoy!:

Old 1st October 2015
  #3077
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCProject View Post
I have no delusions of grandeur or striking originality - I write & record music for the joy of it, to try and figure out how they make rock music sound so good (and slowly figure out why my stuff doesn't).

Feedback humbly requested.

Nice song, reminded me of Joe Satriani a bit, I like that you have some clear and pretty strong melodies here, however they're repeating themselves too much here to my ears, some variation/stranger note choices would make them more interesting to listen to. Also you're not using too much pauses/rests between the phrases, adding a bit more of those would also benefit your music, for example think of a saxophone player or a singer, they'll have to breathe in between the phrases (that's something guitarists don't have to in the same way so they can just keep playing, I'm quilty of it too... ).


You're on the right tracks though, I liked that solo part in the end especially, also you don't tend to overplay too much which is a good thing IMO(I'd like to hear a bit more faster parts/licks at some parts though ), just try to have some more variation and your playing will be a breeze to listen to. I tried to be as constructive as possible, I hope that helps!
Old 1st October 2015
  #3078
Lives for gear
 
Unclenny's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vihaleipa View Post
I'd really like to hear what you guys think about it
That drum thing is signature to the song. Right away I wanted them to be [email protected]

Just sayin'.


Old 1st October 2015
  #3079
Gear Maniac
 
BCProject's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vihaleipa View Post
Nice son [edit]

You're on the right tracks though, I liked that solo part in the end especially, also you don't tend to overplay too much which is a good thing IMO(I'd like to hear a bit more faster parts/licks at some parts though ), just try to have some more variation and your playing will be a breeze to listen to. I tried to be as constructive as possible, I hope that helps!
I really appreciate you taking the time to listen and offer thoughtful, constructive criticism. I appreciate it very much and I think you made some great observations and suggestions!

How was the mix to your ear?

Thanks again!
Old 1st October 2015
  #3080
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCProject View Post
Nice song! Good pocket & groove. I like the dynamic between the vocals in verse & chorus. I always like hearing 2 (or more) featured vocalists in a song.
Thanks! I've only been part of projects before where I was the only vocalist so this is still such new territory for me, but it's a lot of fun finding creative ways to trade vocal duties in songs and I love the extra dimension it adds.
Old 2nd October 2015
  #3081
Gear Maniac
 
sexyman's Avatar
Here is a track I produced then wrote some lyrics and demo test with voice.
All critics good and bad are welcome.

Old 4th October 2015
  #3082
Here's another one of the tired-of-working-on-it-so-it's-done variety, a mix of retro funk in the Funkadelic style, gospel, jazz, and straight up rock. Wrote the bed after I recapped my Hammond M3, first time I heard it without a hurricane noise in the background.


Old 4th October 2015
  #3083
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyman View Post
Here is a track I produced then wrote some lyrics and demo test with voice.
All critics good and bad are welcome.
Dig the Gary Numan'esque synth parts in the background. I'd work on tightening up the vocals to see if you can match the delivery with the emotion of the lyrics (I say that knowing I've got no vocal ability whatsoever).
Old 4th October 2015
  #3084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vihaleipa View Post
I wrote a more of a post-rock style song this time, I'd really like to hear what you guys think about it (I don't listen to post-rock/metal/ambient stuff much so I'd especially like to hear if the mix is too "clean"). I usually write my songs to the TuxGuitar but I just started recording/writing this when I only had the drum beat in the beginning figured out, I almost stopped working on this song but luckily had enough patience and here's the result, try to enjoy!:

Love the fuzzbass (baritone?) sound. And towards the end when you layer in the guitars it's definitely got that post rock thing going on. Needs a real drummer, the machine programming takes away from what could be a really powerful drone style rock track.
Old 4th October 2015
  #3085
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerV View Post
I'm still thoroughly enjoying being in a band again. Here's a new song that is a bit different to the previous two. Would love to hear what you guys think:

Swampy! Love those guitars and tubby bass, is that a delay on the bass or is it played that way? Sounds like totally dead strings and perfect for the vibe. I agree with another commenter about liking it when there is more than one vocalist. Only thing I hear is the drums sound like they've been sample replaced? They don't sound very natural.
Old 4th October 2015
  #3086
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCProject View Post
I have no delusions of grandeur or striking originality - I write & record music for the joy of it, to try and figure out how they make rock music sound so good (and slowly figure out why my stuff doesn't).

Feedback humbly requested.

Really nice playing on this. I think the brickwall limiting is killing your definition though. I want to hear that organ sound wrap around me with that lead guitar just sitting right in the middle of it all. Right now it's sounding like the guitar is pasted on top, not really part of the group. Cool tune.
Old 4th October 2015
  #3087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemander View Post
This is a tune that I think is finished. I used more synths in this one than I normally do so it was a challenge getting all of them to sit right.

https://soundcloud.com/bradrosten/passage
Nice depth and arrangement. I like the resonant reverb sound on the synth and the acoustic guitar breaks sound really good. I almost want to hear more grit in the lead guitar sound to counterbalance the smoothness of the rest of it.
Old 4th October 2015
  #3088
Quote:
Originally Posted by anurlazaron View Post
Lovely tune and recording. I am always envious when I hear people get that intimate clean sound and arrangement, sounds so effortless.
Old 4th October 2015
  #3089
Here for the gear
 

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge View Post
Lovely tune and recording. I am always envious when I hear people get that intimate clean sound and arrangement, sounds so effortless.
thank you!

usually trying to go for as simple as possible, which of course not that easy
Old 4th October 2015
  #3090
Lives for gear
 
Owen L T's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge View Post
Really nice playing on this. I think the brickwall limiting is killing your definition though. I want to hear that organ sound wrap around me with that lead guitar just sitting right in the middle of it all. Right now it's sounding like the guitar is pasted on top, not really part of the group. Cool tune.
Sounds like he knows what he's talking about! If this IS the result of brick wall limiting, you could first try just lowering the guitar 1-2dB, to see if it sits back - Depending on instrumentation, limiting CAN wind up pinning certain instruments to the front of the mix. The phrase "mixing into the compressor" is used a lot wit stereo buss compression - but that CAN mean backing off on a track as well. Especially if you've added the limiter late in the mix, and it causes something to suddenly leap out more than you'd like.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump