The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your "finished" demos here
Old 19th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Can I get some feedback on this track?

https://soundcloud.com/arejayofficia...ill-lead-you-1

Last edited by RobinJacobsson; 19th September 2015 at 12:55 AM..
Old 19th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinJacobsson View Post
Can I get some feedback on this track?

https://soundcloud.com/arejayofficia...s-ill-lead-you
Breath sounds are an artistic choice. In my own productions I work hard to get just the right amount of breathing in between vocal phrasing.

You have a lot of audible breaths in this track and it caught my attention.

Old 19th September 2015
kW7
Here for the gear
Acoustic all the way

Hello

Since I sold my powerful PC I decided to make music acoustically since my little notebook can't handle much music editing. So I bought myself an acoustic bass, a Cajon and some other stuff. I finally got a track done today. It's more work but I think the result turned out good. I've used the Alesis multimix 4 and the program Audacity. Take a listen

https://soundcloud.com/whurnes/selvmedlidenhet
Old 20th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kW7 View Post
decided to make music acoustically......https://soundcloud.com/whurnes/selvmedlidenhet
I like it.

It's real.

Old 20th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcjb87 View Post
Here's a pretty somewhat finished demo of a track called "Into The Night" I have been working on for my band called MADLIP. It's a pretty groovy rockin' pop track I think... Let me know what you think! positive/negative critiquing is always lovely

Soundcloud:

Youtube:

band website: MADLIP
Great production, but not so sure about the triple length intro: first it goes through one set of chords 4 times, then, when the vocal would be expected to start, it goes through a whole nother set of changes, twice, so that by the time the vocals come in (around the minute mark) the listener has already heard almost the entire instrumental backing - some of it more than once. You'd get a lot more mileage out of the song's arrangement if you skipped the first intro, and just did one round of the second intros chords before coming in with the vocals. In my opinion, that is. But with intros, it's often the case that you can improve a good 8 bar intro, by cutting it in half! And in most modern music genres, you DO lose listener interest if you repeat a 4 bar loop without bringing something new the second time around - hence, you pick up an easy win with a 4 bar intro, then in with the vocals. Some of it's subjective, but protracted intros seem to be a common GS thing - but almost never heard on actual, commercial recordings. Disclaimer: I mostly listen to/analyse pop stuff, so my Intro Tolerance may be unusually low!
Old 20th September 2015
Here's a purely for fun track, based around a Memorymoog workin' a vocoder and some eurorack analog synth modules providing the bed...
Old 20th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
Breath sounds are an artistic choice. In my own productions I work hard to get just the right amount of breathing in between vocal phrasing.

You have a lot of audible breaths in this track and it caught my attention.

Agreed. It's a PITA, but I usually wind up clip editing all/most breaths - which, for obvious reasons, tend to creep up in the mix the more you compress the vocals. There's never been a 'de-breather' the way there's been a 'de-esser', that I know of, so manual is the only way to get the job done.

It's also sometimes interesting to hear what happens if you mute them altogether. I mean, you're pretty much guaranteed to put them all back in, it's just an interesting/different experience to hear singing with no audible breathing - which shows that audible breaths are as critical to the pyschoacoustics of a production as, say, reverb.
Old 20th September 2015
Lives for gear

Haven't put one up in awhile.

L.
Old 21st September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenzo View Post

L.
Seriously good music right here.

From the harmonica and banjo and the the vocal hooks to the way you brought it down at around 2:40......

Seriously listenable mix as well.

My only complaint...as a rockin' harp player in a previous life.....I kept waiting for that harpoon to take center stage.

Really pro stuff here folks.
Old 21st September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenzo View Post

L.
Great job Lenny! Excellent recording and the tune is really catchy country rock. Really enjoyed this song.
Old 21st September 2015
Hooked up a great guy from Japan on Soundcloud and we wrote this "rock" tune over the internet, something I hadn't done before. I did all the playing except the lead guitar using Cubase 8 in home studio.

http://www.soundcloud.com/kyoichi-ar...on-new-version
Old 21st September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
Seriously good music right here.

From the harmonica and banjo and the the vocal hooks to the way you brought it down at around 2:40......

Seriously listenable mix as well.

My only complaint...as a rockin' harp player in a previous life.....I kept waiting for that harpoon to take center stage.

Really pro stuff here folks.
Thanks for the kind words Unclenny. I'm afraid my harp skills are not quite ready for center stage. But it's a cool instrument.
L.
Old 21st September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
Great job Lenny! Excellent recording and the tune is really catchy country rock. Really enjoyed this song.
Thanks for listening to it. Your track sounds good here as well. It amazes me sometimes that not only have the tools gotten so good and diverse, but that you can do something like collaborate with another writer half way around the world. Glad to see you not only managed to write it, but also got a excellent recording of it as well.
L.
Old 21st September 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenlt View Post
Great production, but not so sure about the triple length intro: first it goes through one set of chords 4 times, then, when the vocal would be expected to start, it goes through a whole nother set of changes, twice, so that by the time the vocals come in (around the minute mark) the listener has already heard almost the entire instrumental backing - some of it more than once. You'd get a lot more mileage out of the song's arrangement if you skipped the first intro, and just did one round of the second intros chords before coming in with the vocals. In my opinion, that is. But with intros, it's often the case that you can improve a good 8 bar intro, by cutting it in half! And in most modern music genres, you DO lose listener interest if you repeat a 4 bar loop without bringing something new the second time around - hence, you pick up an easy win with a 4 bar intro, then in with the vocals. Some of it's subjective, but protracted intros seem to be a common GS thing - but almost never heard on actual, commercial recordings. Disclaimer: I mostly listen to/analyse pop stuff, so my Intro Tolerance may be unusually low!
Thank you very much for checking it out and the advice! I will take note of your notes on the track and give it a try on cutting some bars in half and such. Definitely do not want to lose listener interest! hehe

Thanks again, owenIt
Old 21st September 2015
A refugee story

Hi Slutz !
I just had to write a story/song about the refugee situation we have here in Europe.
I know its a bit roomy on the voc, but i felt it came "home" later in the song.

How did i manage overall, does the story come through?
Would be very happy for your comments ! Thanks

https://soundcloud.com/dr-dur/thedream
Old 21st September 2015
Here for the gear

Here's another track MADLIP has been working on called "Stream". This one starts a bit more mellow than "Into The Night", but jumps a little for some solo's. Positive/Negative feedback is always very much appreciated!

Soundcloud:

Youtube:

Thank you very much!
Old 21st September 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dur View Post
Hi Slutz !
How did i manage overall, does the story come through?
Would be very happy for your comments ! Thanks

https://soundcloud.com/dr-dur/thedream
It's good. Reminds me of "Perfect Day". I only listened to half way though, as I had to put kids to bed! I would say that may be it's a min too long? I wonder if it was a few BPM faster if this would just lift it a bit and shorten it a little as well?
Old 21st September 2015
Here for the gear

i felt like uploading this. please keep two things in mind.

one: it is a freestyle, meaning it has been written and instantly taped afterward, in one or two takes. so any minor flow mistakes, wrong notes, excuse me. just take it in general.

second, the studio it was recorded in was cheap without any kind of studio requirements fulfilled, like isolation.. no mixing, no mastering. hellyeah :D

like to share something for a change.

also couplet 2 hadn't even been written, completely out of the head.

at second notice this would be better for rough demo's. didn't know there was one. :D
Attached Files

SO FAR.mp3 (5.68 MB, 414 views)

Old 21st September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
It's good. Reminds me of "Perfect Day". I only listened to half way though, as I had to put kids to bed! I would say that may be it's a min too long? I wonder if it was a few BPM faster if this would just lift it a bit and shorten it a little as well?
Thanks for the listen and comment Mr. Funk !

I acually raised the bpm quite a lot before recording, and if i raise it more certain parts will become hard to sing.

Well i think it was Miles Davis who once said he knew of a number of songs which were finish´d before they finish´d so maybe your right.

I really do feel the last part is important, especially since its a "story", and
perhaps it has a surprice ending?(musically)
Old 22nd September 2015
Gear Maniac

Something I composed a few weeks ago on a whim.

Old 22nd September 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkbrass View Post

lol love the sound. so happy. can see myself partying and chilling to that on the beach.
Old 22nd September 2015
Here for the gear
I re-recorded a song I wrote for the FAWM originally, all kinds of feedback is appreciated:

https://vihaleipa.bandcamp.com/track/darkness-descends
Old 22nd September 2015
Here for the gear
Quote:

Sounds good to me too, not something I usually listen to but still very cool song, quite uptempo but still this would be a good background track for a some kind of party, this song would probably fit in a movie score quite nicely. The production sounded also pretty good to my ears too.
Old 22nd September 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:

Like it a lot. Are those real horns? Nice arrangement in any case but if they are software, really impressive programming/playing skills.
Old 22nd September 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Like it a lot. Are those real horns? Nice arrangement in any case but if they are software, really impressive programming/playing skills.
Always live...
Old 22nd September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

I dig it. Cool sound.
L.
Old 22nd September 2015
Gear Maniac

i see ppl dug the last one. ok what about this one? a little crazy...

Old 23rd September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vihaleipa View Post
I re-recorded a song I wrote for the FAWM originally, all kinds of feedback is appreciated:

https://vihaleipa.bandcamp.com/track/darkness-descends
Quote:

So I went for my evening run in the gathering darkness and then listened to both of these tunes cranked on the monitors while I loaded the beer cooler.

Both of these songs are excellent!

Where else can you here excellent and diverse music like that back to back?

Seriously.

Old 23rd September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
i see ppl dug the last one. ok what about this one? a little crazy...

Duuude!! A mashup of the Hell's Angels and the Dirty Dozen Brass Band! But I think you'll have to retire that poor overdriven vocal mic. Very cool.
Old 24th September 2015
Gear Maniac

This starts off as a brass cover for the original theme and transitions into a latin thing. worth listening to the whole thing i thing. Things one does out of shear boredom...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search