The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Post your "finished" demos here
Old 9th September 2015
Here for the gear

Very good point...I may try that soon so! Thanks again for your feedback!
Old 10th September 2015
Here for the gear

This is a track I wrote this week. It's an instrumental track that reflects some of the emotions I have been going through as my wife and I finally get to adopt after 5 years of failures.

So, here is my track to Josiah.

Thanks for listening.

Wes
Old 10th September 2015
Here for the gear

Here's a pretty somewhat finished demo of a track called "Into The Night" I have been working on for my band called MADLIP. It's a pretty groovy rockin' pop track I think... Let me know what you think! positive/negative critiquing is always lovely

Soundcloud:

Youtube:

band website: MADLIP

Last edited by xcjb87; 10th September 2015 at 11:47 AM..
Old 12th September 2015
Lives for gear
Here's my latest. Guaranteed to make you bop your head. All comments are welcomed. Thanks for listening.
https://soundcloud.com/rob-layman/the-great-unknown1

Last edited by Rockinrob; 12th September 2015 at 11:28 AM..
Old 12th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinrob View Post
Here's my latest. Guaranteed to make you bop your head. All comments are welcomed. Thanks for listening.
https://soundcloud.com/rob-layman/the-great-unknown1
Wow!

Seriously good.
Old 12th September 2015
Here for the gear

hi, i've just joined this forum, although i have read a great many threads in the past when looking up info on various gear.

i like that this thread is here for people to post up their music. i listened to some songs on here and decided to share some of my own music. i hope people enjoy it and if you do like it, thank you for listening.

Song was created in 4 days from start to finish. I played 10 string Touchstyle Guitar, Live Drums, & Programmed Drums. I also Produced, Recorded, Edited, Mixed, & Mastered.

All the sounds are from the Krappy Touchstyle, live drums or sampled drums. No Synths were used.

Old 12th September 2015
Something I wrote recorded,engineered and produced.Needs a bit of a re-mix as the vocals are just a few dB to low.

Last edited by Roll Tape; 12th September 2015 at 10:15 AM..
Old 12th September 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
Wow!

Seriously good.
Thanks very much Steve. I think your little tip put this baby over the top.
Old 13th September 2015
Here for the gear

Time Won't Slow Down

Hi everyone! I hope you are all well!

Firstly, I uploaded my very first song 'Are You Proud of Me?' recently on this forum and I was overwhelmed by the response to it. Thank you all so much for listening to it and giving me great feedback. I have decided to upload another song today called 'Time Won't Slow Down'. I rerecorded it recently and am happy with how it is sounding at the moment. Any feedback is very much appreciated!

'Time Won't Slow Down': https://soundcloud.com/ptcruiser1801...nt-slow-down-1

'Time Won't Slow Down' is a relatively new song with a very personal story to it which I have explained below:

The inspiration for this song is my grandmother who has been suffering with Alzheimer's disease for the past 5/6 years. I have seen her turn from a highly active and energetic woman to a very old lady in this short space of time and it has made me realise how important it is to cherish every moment you have because you don't know when it will change irreversibly forever.

I have chosen to intertwine the story of her life with that of a tree in this song as she represents the solid tree-like backbone of our family but like every living thing, has a limited amount of time to live. The final verse are an adapted version of words I imagine she would say to all of us if she was still able...

Here are the lyrics:

It is the start,
You're at day one,
Go light a fire,
You've just begun,
The leaves they grow,
Towards the sun.

The sun it shines,
From way up high,
There is no cloud,
In the blue sky,
Your mind is clear,
No wonder why.

The leaves they make,
A sea of green,
You don't think of,
What might have been,
You can recall,
All you have seen.

So many ways,
Your leaves will grow,
There seems no end,
To what you'll know,
And know limit,
To where you'll go.

The shadow creeps,
Across your view,
You welcome it,
As something new,
But you don't know,
What it will do.

The leaves they fall,
Your mind slows down,
They spread themselves,
All the way round,
You try to pick,
Them from the ground.

The sky turns dark,
The tree turns old,
Your mind is weak,
It's turning old,
Your time is short,
Your hand they hold.

The days go by,
So take it in,
Time wont slow down,
Once it begins,
So make the most,
Of what's within.

Thank you
Old 13th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTCruiser1801 View Post
I have chosen to intertwine the story of her life with that of a tree in this song as she represents the solid tree-like backbone of our family but like every living thing, has a limited amount of time to live.
Very nice and well sung......very poignant as well.
Old 13th September 2015
Lives for gear

I came on today to post something new and thought perhaps I should hold off in order to give folks a chance to really appreciate the above work by PT. You really need to listen to that song more than once.

But then I realized that I did much the same thing with this song by taking something from nature and using it to express some very human feelings.

Perhaps these two songs work well together.

This song began with a photograph that I recently took up near the top of a Vermont mountain......

Mountain Flower
Old 13th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Pronunciation is clear enough. What do you want to do differently the second time round? It does sound professional as it is.
I agree with both sentiments. In fact, the accent, for the most part (and this is subjective) actually ADDs to the interest (in much the same way as the perfect enunciation of Ah Ha and Alphaville were nonetheless enhanced by the slightly exotic/non-English timbre).

BUT with ONE exception, and it's an important one: the word 'Mirror'. Honestly, were it not for the (written) title of the song, I might have struggled to understand the lyric at all.

Your pronunciation (and I don't know how to write phonetics) is akin to: "mir OAR". In English-English it's more like: "MI ruh" and in US-English ... Michael Jackson's 'Man in the Mirror' is as good a place as any to start with.

Seriously, dude - the accent is working In Your Favour just about everywhere else in the song, and is great for the production. Just fix that one word, and you're 100% good to go!

(If you want to tweak further, the vowel sounds in 'why' and 'just' in "why can't you just be close to me" could be either toned down, or turned down a little; they're both close to 'A' sounds at the moment "WHA can't you JAST", and should be a little less open. It's a bit chicken-and-egg - the volume issue is a result of the pronunciation issue. Possibly if you ducked the volume on the second half of each word, the 'A'-ish vowel sound would cease to be an issue, because it wouldn't be so loud.)

So, in summary:
(i) Keep the vocalist.
(ii) Practise and re-record the word 'Mirror'.

Hope that helps.
Old 14th September 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
I came on today to post something new and thought perhaps I should hold off in order to give folks a chance to really appreciate the above work by PT. You really need to listen to that song more than once.

But then I realized that I did much the same thing with this song by taking something from nature and using it to express some very human feelings.

This song began with a photograph that I recently took up near the top of a Vermont mountain......

Mountain Flower
Steve,

Nicely done. Very nice lyric. I just love the way you capture the acoustic. Has body and bite to it. You always do a great job.
Old 14th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slungshot View Post
Here's one I've been shaping for a week or two. Just recorded with a focusrite, flstudio, cheap condensor mics and my favorite ernie ball guitar. Not entirely sure of the genre, heavy alternative maybe.

Let me know what kind of genre it sounds like to you. Thanks!

Goes in the direction of early Motorpsycho, dig the emotions. The mix otoh is unfortunately all over the place. I would say: or hire someone. Thanks for sharing and keep going.
Old 14th September 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTCruiser1801 View Post
Any feedback is very much appreciated!

'Time Won't Slow Down': https://soundcloud.com/ptcruiser1801...nt-slow-down-1

Not listened yet, but read the lyrics and like them a lot. I would only make one small change if you can find an appropriate phrase, and that is repeating of the word old in the line "mind is weak it's growing old". There are plenty of words that rhyme with old that I'm sure a suitable line could be constructed.

It's not a deal breaker and I'm not while heartily against using the same word to rhyme but my preference us not too if possible or unless nothing else conveys the meaning as much.

I will take a listen soon as the lyrics are great. My sympathy for your family also.
Old 15th September 2015
Here is my first posted demo on GS ! It's a simple rmx of Beatles 's famous Blackbird & published here in Europe on Chillout compilations. Basically it's all done at home. Guitars, bass guitars, keyboards. I made the lead vocals with a Flea 47 through a Liquid Channel (V72 emulation!). Prism Orpheus, Pro Tools 9 etc... Here is the link:
https://soundcloud.com/arnold-t/blackbird-arnold-t-rmx
Enjoy !!
Old 15th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by color View Post
Goes in the direction of early Motorpsycho, dig the emotions. The mix otoh is unfortunately all over the place. I would say: or hire someone. Thanks for sharing and keep going.
Thank you for the input! I haven't heard of mp before, interesting band. How would you tighten up the mix? I record guitar parts in snippets and try to make each passage unique, maybe the cohesion gets lost?
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

Mountain Flower
Sounds good here. I've seen your production skills grow over time. Nicely done.
L.
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenzo View Post
I've seen your production skills grow over time.
L.
That is huge for me to hear.

It has been quite a journey for a self taught recordist like me.

Sincere thanks.

Old 15th September 2015
Wrote, Recorded, Mixed and "Mastered" Myself.
Would love ANY Constructive Criticism.

Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/reachmusicpro...rushed-pre-pro
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.E.A.C.H View Post

Thanks!

This sounds really good on my system. I'm not much for criticism. But I will share a thought or two that are not really my thoughts, but stuff I've heard tossed around over the years. In a internet listening environment you have only a few seconds to get and keep the listeners attention. Make intros as short as possible. In this piece if you cut it from :17-:27 you would have the same effect but would get to your vocal 10 seconds sooner. There is also general consensus that listeners relate to vocals..it being a human thing I guess. So if you're not doing electronic music, I figure it's a opinion worth considering. If a writer agrees with the assumption, then there is value in getting to the vocal as soon as possible. Also I have a hard time finding the hook that I can latch onto. Most songs have a repetitive phrase or phrases...I think you can build in all kinds of subtle hooks both instrumentally and vocally that help the listener stay with your song. But I also think rules are meant to be broken and if you realized your vision in finishing this, then you have been successful. There were some nice dynamic changes...another technique that I'm fond of. Bottom line is I listened all the way through. And I really liked it. So as far as I go, maintaining interest for the listener, you were successful. And at the risk of making a long winded post, which I hate, I just wanted to throw up one other thing about hooks. I was listening the the Eagles live album a couple of nights ago. And whether someone likes them or not, one can't argue with their success. If you listen closely to songs like I Can't Tell You Why, Life In The Fast Lane or Hotel California, they weave so many different kinds of hooks into their songs. Often starting right out of the gate with some catchy guitar hook. But the drums are hooking, the bass is hooking, backround vocals are hooking. They certainly aren't the only band in the world doing it, but just from a songwriting/production standpoint, it's impressive to me. And I think an argument can be made that it is one reason why they have maintained a huge audience for decades.
L.

Last edited by Lenzo; 15th September 2015 at 06:17 PM..
Old 15th September 2015
Quote:
This sounds really good on my system. I'm not much for criticism. But I will share a thought or two that are not really my thoughts, but stuff I've heard tossed around over the years. In a internet listening environment you have only a few seconds to get and keep the listeners attention. Make intros as short as possible. In this piece if you cut it from :17-:27 you would have the same effect but would get to your vocal 10 seconds sooner. There is also general consensus that listeners relate to vocals..it being a human thing I guess. So if you're not doing electronic music, I figure it's a opinion worth considering. If a writer agrees with the assumption, then there is value in getting to the vocal as soon as possible. Also I have a hard time finding the hook that I can latch onto. Most songs have a repetitive phrase or phrases...I think you can build in all kinds of subtle hooks both instrumentally and vocally that help the listener stay with your song. But I also think rules are meant to be broken and if you realized your vision in finishing this, then you have been successful. There were some nice dynamic changes...another technique that I'm fond of. Bottom line is I listened all the way through. And I really liked it. So as far as I go, maintaining interest for the listener, you were successful.
L.
Wow! That put a huge smile on my face! Thanks for taking the time to write that after listening as well! I thought the song sounded pretty decently mixed and things seem to have their own home. The volume is pretty much identical to commercial. I feel like my stereo field could open up when I compare to some of my favorite commercial mixes.

Ya know I tinkered a lot with that Idea of cutting straight into the first verse, But I had a song I really liked that went right before this on the record I'm building. So once I was out of the first tune and into the second, I really liked that instrumental Chorus (First riff of the song I posted here.) But from an entirely different perspective, MOST if not all people wouldn't be hearing that song connected. Gives me a lot to think about.

I definitely try and have as few repeated elements as possible. I like to keep things evolving and keep things as fresh as I can. That being said, Hooks and reiterations of certain musicalities can make all the difference. I think there is a middle ground I need to keep pushing for. I can make the dynamic shifts and contrast even more intense, so that maybe the choruses could get a little more "Mainstream?"

Thanks again, I'm really glad I was able to keep you engaged for the length of the song.
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slungshot View Post
Thank you for the input! I haven't heard of mp before, interesting band. How would you tighten up the mix? I record guitar parts in snippets and try to make each passage unique, maybe the cohesion gets lost?
MP is a great band, Led Zeppelin in our age imo. Deep, deep stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1TC...7E8117&index=5

and maybe this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNDF...E8117&index=15

Yes, definitely, the cohesion gets lost imo. Maybe try to tackle the song as a whole.

Curious...

Last edited by color; 15th September 2015 at 11:15 PM..
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

A second vote for shortening the intro. Personally, I'd start it around the 32 second mark - 4 bars of filtered guitar, drum fill, and BAM, you're in! For the most part, unless there is an actual hook that lasts 8 bars (ie not a 4 bar phrase that repeats) you get a lot more mileage by paring the intro right down - to the point where it's worth seeing just how SHORT you can make it, and still make your point.

From an attention holding standpoint, since the backing for the intro usually reappears again under the chorus (depending on the intro), it'll already be familiar - which is good - but won't be overly familiar. (If the intro is the verse chords, then you really do want to just rip though them once and start the song, or risk the listener getting bored before the chorus ever comes.)

Also, repetition is expected (and delivered) throughout the song, so by not conforming to that expectation with the intro, the entrance of the vocals is much more of an attention grabber.

It's not hard and fast, but it's usually a really easy win: already have a good 8 bar intro? Want to make it twice as effective? Simple: make it half as long!

(This is a very hard-nosed, brutally commercial approach to the art of song writing, and of course some genres, or for live shows, the audience would love a 64 bar intro!)

Quote:
This sounds really good on my system. I'm not much for criticism. But I will share a thought or two that are not really my thoughts, but stuff I've heard tossed around over the years. In a internet listening environment you have only a few seconds to get and keep the listeners attention. Make intros as short as possible. In this piece if you cut it from :17-:27 you would have the same effect but would get to your vocal 10 seconds sooner. There is also general consensus that listeners relate to vocals..it being a human thing I guess. So if you're not doing electronic music, I figure it's a opinion worth considering. If a writer agrees with the assumption, then there is value in getting to the vocal as soon as possible. Also I have a hard time finding the hook that I can latch onto. Most songs have a repetitive phrase or phrases...I think you can build in all kinds of subtle hooks both instrumentally and vocally that help the listener stay with your song. But I also think rules are meant to be broken and if you realized your vision in finishing this, then you have been successful. There were some nice dynamic changes...another technique that I'm fond of. Bottom line is I listened all the way through. And I really liked it. So as far as I go, maintaining interest for the listener, you were successful. And at the risk of making a long winded post, which I hate, I just wanted to throw up one other thing about hooks. I was listening the the Eagles live album a couple of nights ago. And whether someone likes them or not, one can't argue with their success. If you listen closely to songs like I Can't Tell You Why, Life In The Fast Lane or Hotel California, they weave so many different kinds of hooks into their songs. Often starting right out of the gate with some catchy guitar hook. But the drums are hooking, the bass is hooking, backround vocals are hooking. They certainly aren't the only band in the world doing it, but just from a songwriting/production standpoint, it's impressive to me. And I think an argument can be made that it is one reason why they have maintained a huge audience for decades.
L.
Old 16th September 2015
First off thank you for listening and commenting! I agree on a lot of these points! I'm going to experiment with shortening the intro. Do you feel like It's
a good idea to keep my "Lead In" Guitar riff before the full heavy section comes on? I'm unsure of whether or not I like abruptly jumping into the heavy section of the track.

(Remove Intro gutiar lead) Heavy 4Bars> 1 Measure Drum Fill >(Remove Hipassed Guitar intro) First Verse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenlt View Post
A second vote for shortening the intro. Personally, I'd start it around the 32 second mark - 4 bars of filtered guitar, drum fill, and BAM, you're in! For the most part, unless there is an actual hook that lasts 8 bars (ie not a 4 bar phrase that repeats) you get a lot more mileage by paring the intro right down - to the point where it's worth seeing just how SHORT you can make it, and still make your point.

From an attention holding standpoint, since the backing for the intro usually reappears again under the chorus (depending on the intro), it'll already be familiar - which is good - but won't be overly familiar. (If the intro is the verse chords, then you really do want to just rip though them once and start the song, or risk the listener getting bored before the chorus ever comes.)

Also, repetition is expected (and delivered) throughout the song, so by not conforming to that expectation with the intro, the entrance of the vocals is much more of an attention grabber.

It's not hard and fast, but it's usually a really easy win: already have a good 8 bar intro? Want to make it twice as effective? Simple: make it half as long!

(This is a very hard-nosed, brutally commercial approach to the art of song writing, and of course some genres, or for live shows, the audience would love a 64 bar intro!)
Old 16th September 2015
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:

Thanks!

The "death metal" (forgive my ignorance) type singing is not my sort of thing, but I can tell it's done well here. However, I really liked all the other elements of the track. Sounds very professional too.

I do like the contrast of the soft, calming layered vocals against the angry vocal though, but like I say, that style just not my thing.

Great work.
Old 17th September 2015
Why thank you! It's maybe a little out of place in this song, but I do think I made pretty audible screams. The tone and sibilance comes way before just a raw gutteral sound. So at least its more of a voice than just brute scream. Thanks for saying it was well done, even though you don't enjoy that kind of vocal.

The contrast is something I always try to think about constantly when I'm assembling these songs. I'm glad it translates.

What exactly do you think sounds professional? How could I progress with what I've showed you in this song? I still don't think it's quite there and I'm worried about releasing any real EP/ Album until my quality is on par with Pro releases in the same category.

Thank you so much for listening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
The "death metal" (forgive my ignorance) type singing is not my sort of thing, but I can tell it's done well here. However, I really liked all the other elements of the track. Sounds very professional too.

I do like the contrast of the soft, calming layered vocals against the angry vocal though, but like I say, that style just not my thing.

Great work.
Old 17th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
First off thank you for listening and commenting! I agree on a lot of these points! I'm going to experiment with shortening the intro. Do you feel like It's
a good idea to keep my "Lead In" Guitar riff before the full heavy section comes on? I'm unsure of whether or not I like abruptly jumping into the heavy section of the track.

(Remove Intro gutiar lead) Heavy 4Bars> 1 Measure Drum Fill >(Remove Hipassed Guitar intro) First Verse?
Now we're getting into a much more subjective area, I think - and one where I don't know enough about genre conventions to know what is/isn't the norm. (Not that 'the norm' has to be followed - it's just good to understand when one is/isn't deviating from it.)

Personally, I like the hi-pass guitar, think the contrast works fine, and would be very tempted to leave the arrangement exactly as is, but start it from the 34 second mark (or whichever point around there is the start of a bar, and leaves an even number of bars before the vocal).

That would make the intro: 2 bars hi-passed guitar (or 4, depending on how you're counting the bpm) > Verse.

That is a ruthlessly pared-back intro, but is a real grabber.
Old 18th September 2015
Definitely nice to see a new perspective. I think Maybe I'll leave the Highpassed guitars and just cut the "Full heavy section" Down 50%. I'll just have to experiment and see what feels right I suppose. I do agree though " Trimming the fat" Is essential when you want an album of material to translate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenlt View Post
Now we're getting into a much more subjective area, I think - and one where I don't know enough about genre conventions to know what is/isn't the norm. (Not that 'the norm' has to be followed - it's just good to understand when one is/isn't deviating from it.)

Personally, I like the hi-pass guitar, think the contrast works fine, and would be very tempted to leave the arrangement exactly as is, but start it from the 34 second mark (or whichever point around there is the start of a bar, and leaves an even number of bars before the vocal).

That would make the intro: 2 bars hi-passed guitar (or 4, depending on how you're counting the bpm) > Verse.

That is a ruthlessly pared-back intro, but is a real grabber.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search