The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Post your "finished" demos here
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4771
Gear Head
Hey, thanks for the comment.

Well I don't really like it myself, and I think if I can't trust my own ears than I don't know why I'm even bothering with music. The whole point for me to make music is to make something I understand and like.

I actually went to a vocal coach once and they literally said I'm fine, that that's my voice, I can't change my voice and that that's just how I sound.....

I think I will try to sing a lower register and semi-whisper for the rest where I like how I sound more but I don't know how to fit it in songs, the only thing that comes to my mind is Swans/Bark Psychosis. If that doesn't work than I need to go into therapy lol.

I can't continue singing like this though, it's just pure masochism for me...
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4772
Lives for gear
 

I know this is going to come out wrong, but I would suggest some lessons (PS I could stand some myself, and I bet most people on here as well). Whatever "vocal coach" you had before sounds like an idiot. I think you have a kind of Frank Zappa thing going on there which can really work w/the right stuff, but I think you need some groundwork on pitch, phrasings, timing etc. Also as with most of us, I don't think it's as bad as you seem to think it is (I think most of us would just as soon not hear our own voices most of the time ). FWIW
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4773
Gear Head
Thanks for the comment, nah it didn't come out wrong. I really don't know who to go to for that right now, since the last person was just a waste of my money and I don't even have that kind of money right now.

Well judging by your comment everything is wrong (Phrasing, Pitch, Timing), so I may be overrating my singing actually.

To me it just sounds weak but to my best guess it's a matter of "lack of power, vim, resonance", I mean I really doubt it's pitch as I know my pitch isn't perfect but I kind of like going out of pitch slightly, I also tried autotune and pitch shifting and it didn't make it sound better at all, and personally I just really like pitchy singers anyways like Ian Curtis, Nick Cave, Jarman from The Cribs, Lou Reed even Richard Butler but they have something I don't and I can't pinpoint what it is.

I experimented with phrasing a lot, initially the lines were all actually very different, it helps, but my voice still sounds weak, lately in terms of phrasing I've just tried singing it emotionally with what feels most natural to me.

Thanks again for your comment though!

PS: I guess I have no choice but to heavily limit my singing, for now at least, perhaps change my material
PPS: On second hand I think I will just write a **** ton more until something works, thanks for the replies though
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4774
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vityaz View Post
Well judging by your comment everything is wrong (Phrasing, Pitch, Timing), so I may be overrating my singing actually.
lol no not at all. I was just giving examples of things an instructor can work on. It isn't about right or wrong, just improving - and sometimes those improvements are incremental, not massive.

PS I couldn't get the 2d song to come up but the 3d one did and was definitely better IMO. Again not that the first one was bad, just better here. Kind of an 80s vocal feel if that makes sense. I think the first one it sounded like you were pressing a bit, where the 3d one you sound more comfortable just staying within yourself, so to speak, and "trying too hard" I think can easily be evident in the result.

You seem to have an "oh God I suck" feeling and trust me you don't. Just need to "find" your voice, your zone, and all that. Easier said than done, God knows I'm miles away.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4775
Gear Head
Thanks Bill, your thoughts mean a lot to me, I noticed I am very sensitive to comments about my voice and my perception and even mood changes a lot with negative or positive comments. To the point where I can "enjoy" myself singing if someone says it's good and can't if someone says it's bad, I'm basically deaf when it comes to vocals lol. A few notable exceptions where I have fun with my vocals no matter what is me singing someone else's material or really catchy melodies over exceptional music.

It is not the same with the music itself as I feel confident about whether it has problems, whether it's good, a grower or not.
Personally I think the third track suffers musically since when I made it I had some constricted concept view of it, maybe the vocals would have sounded better if it was not on a somewhat vapid track like that, when I sing I have to feel the track right?

Yeah the first track was a mess vocally, I did several attempts from different times of singing of different styles of singing, in the end it was punch in punch out, where you hear some parts from half a year ago and some from a month ago lol. Maybe I will try to redo the whole thing sometime later if I can, the music deserves a bit better than that.

I just want to write something with vocals I can personally listen to and enjoy and not question, which I have the ability to do with some of my instrumental music/pieces, I'll keep trying. I have very high standards in music so that affects me (What I uploaded, that's below or at the bottom of my standards - but I needed invoice)
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4776
Lives for gear
 
Zyzygis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vityaz View Post
Thanks for the comment, nah it didn't come out wrong. I really don't know who to go to for that right now, since the last person was just a waste of my money and I don't even have that kind of money right now.

Well judging by your comment everything is wrong (Phrasing, Pitch, Timing), so I may be overrating my singing actually.

To me it just sounds weak but to my best guess it's a matter of "lack of power, vim, resonance", I mean I really doubt it's pitch as I know my pitch isn't perfect but I kind of like going out of pitch slightly, I also tried autotune and pitch shifting and it didn't make it sound better at all, and personally I just really like pitchy singers anyways like Ian Curtis, Nick Cave, Jarman from The Cribs, Lou Reed even Richard Butler but they have something I don't and I can't pinpoint what it is.

I experimented with phrasing a lot, initially the lines were all actually very different, it helps, but my voice still sounds weak, lately in terms of phrasing I've just tried singing it emotionally with what feels most natural to me.

Thanks again for your comment though!

PS: I guess I have no choice but to heavily limit my singing, for now at least, perhaps change my material
PPS: On second hand I think I will just write a **** ton more until something works, thanks for the replies though
I actually like the sound of your voice, it's quite rich and velvety and reminds me a lot of Lou Reed at his best. Perfect Day and Satellite of Love come to mind.
The problem I think is with the writing. The lyrics and melodies don't really allow your voice to shine, some awkwardness can be endearing and you can pull it off, but you need some more work on your phrasing. Try writing more as you would naturally speak or as if you were in conversation with someone and record the phrasing. Then you can find the melody which is most comfortable for you to sing in.
I think musically there could be more consistency in the rhythm parts and there are times when the timing is off. Sound wise I really like what you are doing. Guitars sound really good. Are you a multi instrumentalist?

Production wise I think, after you have sorted out the vocals, some lush vocal harmonies and stacks, possibly female, would be a wonderful foil to your voice. Again thinking Lou Reed here "Walk on the Wild Side".
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4777
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
I actually like the sound of your voice, it's quite rich and velvety and reminds me a lot of Lou Reed at his best. Perfect Day and Satellite of Love come to mind.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
I think musically there could be more consistency in the rhythm parts and there are times when the timing is off.
Well whatever it is it is almost surely contrived, I fiddle around with odd syncopation. Sometimes I go against pop sensibilities even if it means the music will be not as easy on the ears cause I'm a bad ass rebel (or irresponsible depending on how you view it), it's a track by track choice, I'm aware of it though. Still it's helpful and interesting to hear a comment on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
Sound wise I really like what you are doing. Guitars sound really good. Are you a multi instrumentalist?
Long version:

Everything you hear is me but I wouldn't call myself a multi-instrumentalist because I can't play any single instrument well, the way I do things is during the producing of a song if I feel I need some instrument for the song I just grab it (Or emulate on keyboard) and practice/play the part until it sounds good, even if it's some crazier faster solo I just break it down, practice for a week or however long it takes until I get it. For drums I just play separate drums one/a few at a time on keyboard or sometimes just program the drum part depending on what feel I want.

When I started I didn't have any instruments but a DAW and I wrote songs with a mouse and vst's, just putting down notes for everything.

I don't particularly enjoy noodling on a guitar outside a song's context and I even forget parts after I made the song, so when people ask me to play something I made I often end up declining because I literally don't remember what I wrote musically and especially lyrically on the spot. And outside of basic rhythms I'm pretty terrible at playing and singing at the same time. I thought that when I will actually be playing live I would solve that problem but I'm not there yet.

Short version:

Basically all I really do musically is write songs/covers, I learn instruments while writing songs/covers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
The problem I think is with the writing. The lyrics and melodies don't really allow your voice to shine, some awkwardness can be endearing and you can pull it off, but you need some more work on your phrasing.
I think you're right, I have thought the same way lately, but since I'm exhausted with my old material I will just try to avoid these mistakes in the new material.

Thank you for the comments!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #4778
Gear Nut
 
prosodio's Avatar
This is my band´s first EP, it´s a mix of funk, rock, prog.... . I produced, mixed and mastered. Recorded live in one afternoon-evening. I´t in spanish, it´s a bit vintage sounding but that´s our favourite sound. Lots of good hardware here and there.....

https://garrafunk.bandcamp.com
Old 2 weeks ago
  #4779
Lives for gear
 
not_so_new's Avatar
Old 2 weeks ago
  #4780
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vityaz View Post
Thanks Bill, your thoughts mean a lot to me, I noticed I am very sensitive to comments about my voice and my perception and even mood changes a lot with negative or positive comments.
If my thoughts mean a lot you must be lol tbh if I were you I'd take my or anyone's thoughts with a grain of salt - opinions are only that and can be right or wrong to varying degrees - or neither, necessarily. Don't hesitate to trust your own instincts.

Quote:
I have very high standards in music so that affects me
Nothing wrong with that - also a question of degree. And we almost always tend to be toughest on ourselves, esp with singing, as it sounds so diff to us "internally" than it does to others.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #4781
Lives for gear
 
smoovemode's Avatar
 

Cliche'

https://soundcloud.com/djtorchmusic/...edc-release-epHi, The name of the Track is called "Cliche'. It's an eclectic mix of R&B and Techno. My question is about the Lyrics. Do the have enough substance to release or do they need more depth. I've heard some pretty shallow songs but I understand that lyrics have to be judged in context.

thanks
Old 2 weeks ago
  #4782
Here for the gear
 

i need feedback to pass my degree

Hi guys I’m a third-year university student and I have released a single as part as my dissertation project for my final year and part for the criteria is to receive feedback on it, so any help would be much appreciated
Here is the link to the you tube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfXKGzozeLw
Also on Spotify I tunes apple music and all other major download and streaming platforms
thanks in advance
Old 2 weeks ago
  #4783
Here for the gear
 

i need feedback to pass my degree

Hi guys I’m a third-year university student and I have released a single as part as my dissertation project for my final year and part for the criteria is to receive feedback on it, so any help would be much appreciated
Here is the link to the you tube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfXKGzozeLw
Also on Spotify I tunes apple music and all other major download and streaming platforms
thanks in advance
Old 2 weeks ago
  #4784
Gear Guru
 
Unclenny's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
Me on live drums, bass, guitar, and electric piano. Also did a bunch of synth programming.....

https://youtu.be/0rFMSKZwASY
I like it. That piano sounds great....good stuff here.
Old 1 week ago
  #4785
Gear Maniac
 

A song called "a thousand years". Got a dance vibe to it. If any one wants to have a go at making better bass/synths and drums PM me. It's not what I'm best at. Oh, and the lyrics are a bit vampire influenced. :-)

Old 1 week ago
  #4786
Old 1 week ago
  #4787
Here for the gear
 
ccouch7's Avatar
"REFLECTIONS OF FLIGHT"
An instrumental song me and a friend put together.
All comments welcome, no need to hold back anything.

Old 1 week ago
  #4788
Gear Maniac
 



A happy song to make you smile! :-)
Old 1 week ago
  #4789
Here for the gear
 
ccouch7's Avatar
"BURN (deep pit of despair)"

Old 1 week ago
  #4790
Here for the gear
 
ccouch7's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas_k_strand View Post
sharing a little kitchen recording from a friend and bassplayers kitchen
hope u like!

https://soundcloud.com/tuffbranschre...tchen-sessions
Hey, i really enjoyed this song. Good songwriting and the instruments
sound like they were recorded really well. Nice!!
Old 1 week ago
  #4791
Here for the gear
 
ccouch7's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic audio View Post
A song called "a thousand years". Got a dance vibe to it. If any one wants to have a go at making better bass/synths and drums PM me. It's not what I'm best at. Oh, and the lyrics are a bit vampire influenced. :-)


Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic audio View Post


A happy song to make you smile! :-)
I enjoyed both of these songs! It would seem our styles are miles apart
but I can still appreciate what you're doing.
Really like the clarity of both the vocals and the instruments.
The mix's sound really good and balanced here on my
internet bookshelf speaker system.
Great work!!
Old 1 week ago
  #4792
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccouch7 View Post
I enjoyed both of these songs! It would seem our styles are miles apart
but I can still appreciate what you're doing.
Really like the clarity of both the vocals and the instruments.
The mix's sound really good and balanced here on my
internet bookshelf speaker system.
Great work!!
Cheers man! Thanks for listening… :-)
Old 1 week ago
  #4793
Gear Guru
 
Unclenny's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccouch7 View Post
"BURN (deep pit of despair)"

What a unique sound!

I really like it.
Old 6 days ago
  #4794
Here for the gear
 
ccouch7's Avatar
Thanks Unclenny I really appreciate it!
Old 6 days ago
  #4795
Gear Guru
 
Unclenny's Avatar
Old 5 days ago
  #4796
New Song (Golden Death Music)

Below is a link to my most recent song. I have a very low end setup in terms of microphones and the actual space I use (the kitchen in my studio apartment), but I'm pretty happy with the results I get out of it.

I do everything from writing the songs to the final mixing/mastering.
This particular song features a kawai k-3 synth, violin, clarinet, acoustic/electric/bass guitar, tambourine, and programmed drums (Addictive Drums 2)

I have a Tascam UH-7000 interface, with all Canare cables. I used an MXL R-80 for the voice, Nady RSM-5 for Acoustic, an old Audio-Technica handheld condenser for harmony voice, and an off brand SDC Electret condenser for the tambourine. Electric and Bass guitar were recorded direct into an ART MP Studio preamp (The UH-7000 has no hi-z input).

https://goldendeathmusic.bandcamp.com/track/killshot


All the songs at the bandcamp site linked above are free to download/pay what you want. Hope someone here enjoys!
Old 5 days ago
  #4797
Gear Guru
 
Unclenny's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendeathmusic View Post
Hope someone here enjoys!
Pretty cool stuff here. I love the tone of the bass at the beginning and then throughout. I also like how you have the vocals mixed.

Enjoyed this listen
Old 5 days ago
  #4798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
Pretty cool stuff here. I love the tone of the bass at the beginning and then throughout. I also like how you have the vocals mixed.

Enjoyed this listen
Hey Leonard, thanks so much for taking the time to listen and for the feedback! The bass was just a cheap $50 Rogue bass I found at the used music shop here in Columbus. I think it may have had the pickups upgraded at some point in its life though. I also use Reaper's native cab simulator for all direct guitars (in conjunction with some guitar amp impulses in SIR) and am pretty happy with the approximation of an amped sound it gives. The vocals were the first ones in a while that I have done with a ribbon mic (and a very cheap, self-modded one at that), so I'm glad you liked the way they came out! I had to use a bunch more EQ than usual, but I feel that is not too uncommon with cheap ribbon mics.

Anyway, thanks again and I hope you have a great weekend!
Old 5 days ago
  #4799
Lives for gear
 
not_so_new's Avatar
I was listening to 1940's swing station a while back and the two younger'ish DJ's were talking about swing music. One DJ asked the other "what else do you listen to?" The second DJ said "nothing, I only listen to swing music from the 30's, 40's and 50's."

As much as I love Benny Goodman, Glen Miller, Duke Ellington, Django Reinhardt, and many others from the era, that comment always stuck with me because it was so limiting. It dismisses out of hand all the fantastic music from Beethoven to The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Led Zeppelin to Madonna or Beyoncé to Johnny Cash.

As Duke Ellington himself said, "There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind."

I love all kinds of music and I don't limit myself to listening to or writing only one style. This tune is an example along these lines. This is kind of a mash up of a electronic dubstep meets heavy rock kind of tune.

That's live drums, live bass and live guitar along with a whole lot of synthesizer programming. In fact, this song has one of the largest track counts I have ever recorded or mixed, most of it is the synth tracks.

Check it out, I hope you enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/Llw3BWcq45E
Old 5 days ago
  #4800
Lives for gear
 
not_so_new's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendeathmusic View Post
Below is a link to my most recent song. I have a very low end setup in terms of microphones and the actual space I use (the kitchen in my studio apartment), but I'm pretty happy with the results I get out of it.

I do everything from writing the songs to the final mixing/mastering.
This particular song features a kawai k-3 synth, violin, clarinet, acoustic/electric/bass guitar, tambourine, and programmed drums (Addictive Drums 2)

I have a Tascam UH-7000 interface, with all Canare cables. I used an MXL R-80 for the voice, Nady RSM-5 for Acoustic, an old Audio-Technica handheld condenser for harmony voice, and an off brand SDC Electret condenser for the tambourine. Electric and Bass guitar were recorded direct into an ART MP Studio preamp (The UH-7000 has no hi-z input).

https://goldendeathmusic.bandcamp.com/track/killshot


All the songs at the bandcamp site linked above are free to download/pay what you want. Hope someone here enjoys!
That's a great tune there! NICE!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
pinkheadedbug / Songwriting
3470
neilsby / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show & Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
258
feedback711 / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
183
dhollmusik / Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production
15
Brad Blackwood / High end
76

Forum Jump