The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Post your rough demos
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

15th track from my upcoming CD "80s Squared"

This one needs a bit of explaining.

Back in the 80s, when I was living through this stuff, this is the kind of music I would have written if...

1) I had the talent

2) I had the technology

This is all me. This was my vision for my own brand of synth pop. Maybe it might have caught on. Maybe not.

There are no less than 7 lead synths on this one. There is also a string and horns section to go along with drums, bass and a pad. Two backing vocal tracks and the Realivox ladies on the "Ooo Wah" finale.

No way this can't be my favorite track of this project because this is who I truly am. There is no emulation here. It took me 40 years to finally write this one.

Hope you like it...synth pop or not.

Dancing With Davy Jones

Dancing with Davy Jones

It's the craze around the nation
Everybody's doing the thing
Grab a corpse and dress him in cashmere
Spin him round till he gives you his ring

It's a dance with a dead man
It's a waltz with some bones
It's your destiny calling
When you're dancing with Davy Jones

It's not hard to find a partner
Just a pistol will do the trick
Put a bullet into his thick skull
Or just find a good solid brick

Repeat Chorus

So come on and join the new craze
I can promise you quite a thrill
Find your soul mate there in an instant
When they bring you in for the kill

Repeat Chorus 2x

Ooo wah
Ooo wah
Ooo wah
Ooo wah (to fade)

Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

16th track from my upcoming 2 CD set "80s Squared"

This completes CD 1.

For this track, returned to the emulations. This group came out towards the end of the 80s synth pop era. They weren't very big, not even in their own country. They turned to a more minimalist sound probably in protest of the sometimes overproduced big sounding tracks of the 80s with the big drums and tons of reverb and all that stuff.

So in emulating them, I really scaled this one down. Only 7 tracks on this tune. It's rather on the creepy side, especially towards the end. Not many lyrics as seemed to be their style. Mostly single notes being played in bass, lead and even pad. Couldn't find one chord in the track. Drum beat very simple. In fact, for the track I copied the drum beat exactly including the sounds used which were kick and clap.

It's definitely different, especially for me.

Now that the easy part is done (the first 16 tracks) now comes the hard part. Somehow coming up with 16 more. This is where I'm really going to be tested. Historically, double albums are usually album 1 good, album 2 bad. Look at The Beatles White Album. Of course some would say that whole album was bad.

Still, I'm up for the challenge.

Anyway, here's the last of CD 1.

S P Uh Nahzh

I come into your land to kill you
I want to penetrate your perimeter
S P Uh Nahzh
S P Uh Nahzh

I'll steal your secrets use them gainst you
Then there'll be nothing left of your world
S P Uh Nahzh
S P Uh Nahzh

Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
15th track from my upcoming CD "80s Squared"

No way this can't be my favorite track of this project because this is who I truly am. There is no emulation here. It took me 40 years to finally write this one.
Hope you like it...synth pop or not.

Dancing With Davy Jones
I have mixed feelings about this one. I liked the piano progression and the lyrics are fun. (although I instinctively think of the Monkees when I hear Davy Jones not "Davy Jones locker" ) The little synth riffs that were dropped in, didn't really work for me, I felt I was listening to various synth patches being auditioned, if you know what i mean, but,hey that's just me.

Dakoda Sada
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
I really scaled this one down. Only 7 tracks on this tune. It's rather on the creepy side, especially towards the end. Not many lyrics as seemed to be their style. Mostly single notes being played in bass, lead and even pad. Couldn't find one chord in the track. Drum beat very simple. In fact, for the track I copied the drum beat exactly including the sounds used which were kick and clap.

I liked this, I didn't get the "espionage" thing immediately, (I know I'm a bit slow.... ), I much preferred this one to the last one, just personal opinion.
This might be my second favourite after the nuclear fallout one.

Dakoda Sada
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakoda Sada View Post
I have mixed feelings about this one. I liked the piano progression and the lyrics are fun. (although I instinctively think of the Monkees when I hear Davy Jones not "Davy Jones locker" ) The little synth riffs that were dropped in, didn't really work for me, I felt I was listening to various synth patches being auditioned, if you know what i mean, but,hey that's just me.

Dakoda Sada
And that's pretty much why most people don't like my music that's purely me and not derived from any particular source. Those 7 synth leads are my signature going back years and years ago. I happen to like that kind of variety. But I get it puts some people off.

The emulated stuff is going to be the stuff that will work best for you because it's taking an established, accepted convention and just putting a different melody to it.

It's easy to play it safe. What's hard is being yourself.

CD 2 will be strictly emulations.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I liked this, I didn't get the "espionage" thing immediately, (I know I'm a bit slow.... ), I much preferred this one to the last one, just personal opinion.
This might be my second favourite after the nuclear fallout one.

Dakoda Sada
Pretty much proves my point. Musically not as good as the previous piece but more conventional.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Recorded some backing vocals this morning. They should complete my song "Caged". Will get them mixed this week and then post the mix for opinions before final mix and sending for mastering.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
I don't think I would have even attempted this if I didn't have some affection for the weirdness that was the 80s.

My personal favorite tracks from that era.

Don't You Want me - Human League
Cars - Gary Newman
Destination Unknown - Missing Persons

For me, those 3 songs defined the early part of that era.

And of course there were so many others that I also liked. But these 3 were my defining songs.
meant to say, I've never heard of "Missing Persons" , which is unusual for me because I would have bought "a lot" of music back then. I'm guessing they charted in the U.S , I don't think they ever made it over this side of the pond.

Dakoda Sada.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
meant to say, I've never heard of "Missing Persons" , which is unusual for me because I would have bought "a lot" of music back then. I'm guessing they charted in the U.S , I don't think they ever made it over this side of the pond.

Dakoda Sada.
They were US and Australia. Never made it to your neck of the woods. And at that, they weren't what you would call a huge success. More like a cult.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

I'll be taking a short break between CD 1 and CD 2 of my 80s Synth Pop project due to minor medical reasons. Will probably be getting back to the project sometime during the week depending on how I feel. Right now doing music is a little rough on the ears.

Will post first track of CD 2 as soon as possible.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
I'll be taking a short break between CD 1 and CD 2 of my 80s Synth Pop project due to minor medical reasons. .
feel better soon mate...

meanwhile , I'm aiming to have my next track done by the end of the week, and while your jogging your font of inspiration by watching old 80's videos. I'm busy trying to sound like something other than 80's synthpop. (and failing miserably, ha)

I'm not much into prompting my inspiration by listening to other peoples stuff.
But I should give it a go. If anyone knows of a "modern" band that makes synthpop in a contemporary non-80s style , let me know. I can't stray too far from synthpop and I'm very limited with the style/range of singing I can attempt but if I could get one track where people didn't automatically think I was from the 80s I'd be pleased!

any suggestions?
Dakoda Sada
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
feel better soon mate...

meanwhile , I'm aiming to have my next track done by the end of the week, and while your jogging your font of inspiration by watching old 80's videos. I'm busy trying to sound like something other than 80's synthpop. (and failing miserably, ha)

I'm not much into prompting my inspiration by listening to other peoples stuff.
But I should give it a go. If anyone knows of a "modern" band that makes synthpop in a contemporary non-80s style , let me know. I can't stray too far from synthpop and I'm very limited with the style/range of singing I can attempt but if I could get one track where people didn't automatically think I was from the 80s I'd be pleased!

any suggestions?
Dakoda Sada
Yes, go here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_synthpop_artists

Each band has the years active. There are plenty from 2000 onward. This is how I've been doing my research.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'll be taking a short break between CD 1 and CD 2 of my 80s Synth Pop project due to minor medical reasons. Will probably be getting back to the project sometime during the week depending on how I feel. Right now doing music is a little rough on the ears.

Will post first track of CD 2 as soon as possible.

Soap Opera!

~HW
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Well, got a clean bill of health from my doctor so will probably be starting up again tomorrow or even later today as I'm feeling pretty good. Must have just been a 1 day bug.

Looking forward to getting back to this project as I've really been enjoying doing this one. Gonna miss it when it's done.
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Well, got a clean bill of health from my doctor so will probably be starting up again tomorrow or even later today as I'm feeling pretty good. Must have just been a 1 day bug.

Looking forward to getting back to this project as I've really been enjoying doing this one. Gonna miss it when it's done.
Good news!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

17th track from my upcoming 2 CD set "80s Squared"

If you're an 80s Synth Pop fan, this emulation should be extremely obvious. Actually, it's a meld of two big hits.

Hope you like.

Caught You Peeking

Behind the curtain
I could see you...I could feel you
Inside the music
You can touch me...if you want to

But you must listen
Do not do it...listen to it
I will not stand for
Spying on me...Do not con me

Cause you know what I would do if I

Caught you peeking
With your creeping
Blood is seeping
Into the floor

Caught you peeking
You'll be weeping
I'll be keeping
Away from you for ever more

You've got your nerve girl
Doing to me...how you do me
No inhibitions
Is no way to...get on through me

That's why there are rules
You must obey...Because one day
I'll see you looking
Where you shouldn't...Know you couldn't

Repeat Chorus

Repeat Chorus

Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
17th track from my upcoming 2 CD set "80s Squared"

If you're an 80s Synth Pop fan, this emulation should be extremely obvious. Actually, it's a meld of two big hits.

I liked this one, particularly the leisurely keys solo.
The opening chords reminded me a bit of Kagagoogoo but the prominent bass all the way through was reminiscent of Level 42's Mark King.
(but my actual guess is you took your real inspiration from "The Human League""Facination" ?)
great start to the second CD.
Dakoda Sada.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I liked this one, particularly the leisurely keys solo.
The opening chords reminded me a bit of Kagagoogoo but the prominent bass all the way through was reminiscent of Level 42's Mark King.
(but my actual guess is you took your real inspiration from "The Human League""Facination" ?)
great start to the second CD.
Dakoda Sada.
I knew Kajagoogoo was pretty obvious. Nailed that one. The rest, well, maybe not so obvious.

Anyway, will be working on track 18 today. So far been trying to stay away from the big songs and groups but as I'm running out of ideas, will be hitting the big hits from here on out. The difficult part, as was with the last song, is coming up with just the right sounds. I had to hit my Jupiter 8 for a lot of sounds in the last track.

The rest of this CD should be a lot of fun in seeing how close I can come to these classics without straight ripping them off. Was actually tempted to do a straight cover for the last one but decided against it. May still end up doing a straight cover before this whole thing is over.

Time will tell.
Old 19 hours ago
Lives for gear

18th track from my upcoming 2 CD set "80s Squared" is a total farce and spoof of this early 80s act. It really doesn't get any more ridiculous than this.

Enjoy! Or at least have a good cringe. LOL.

Regular Font - Dex
Bold - Cyber Songman
Italic - Ruby
Bold and Italic - Dex and Cyber Songman

Crack Uh Toe Uh

Look at her go
She's a wing bang zoom
I can move like this
Well what do you know

What does she cost
Can I take her home
Just remember my name
If I don't get lost

Crack uh toe uh
Crack uh toe uh
Crack uh toe uh
That's my name

Open the box
Win a toy surprise
I can move like this
Can't believe my eyes

Put her away
Til the next time comes
Just remember my name
If you don't just run

Repeat Chorus 2x

Old 14 hours ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
18th track from my upcoming 2 CD set "80s Squared" is a total farce and spoof of this early 80s act.

First band that reminded me of is B52's , (I don't think they are known as synthpop or "an 80s" band, so probably not where you got your inspiration)

it's probably better I guess these, wrong than right though. As that means
there's more of you shining through than the band inspiring you !

another good job, nice clean , uncluttered mix , great blend of instruments that work together and the whacky lyrics means it doesn't take itself too seriously.
like it.
Dakoda Sada.
Old 11 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
First band that reminded me of is B52's , (I don't think they are known as synthpop or "an 80s" band, so probably not where you got your inspiration)

it's probably better I guess these, wrong than right though. As that means
there's more of you shining through than the band inspiring you !

another good job, nice clean , uncluttered mix , great blend of instruments that work together and the whacky lyrics means it doesn't take itself too seriously.
like it.
Dakoda Sada.
If it's who I think you're thinking of, no that's exactly who I got the inspiration for this from. And yes, technically, they are classified as early synth pop. Personally, I agree with you. I don't think they fit the classic synth pop sound but they are considered one of the pioneers.

And I never realized how much they do sound like the B 52s until you just brought them up. Both bands were surely quite unique.
Old 6 hours ago
Lives for gear
Old 5 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Here is the first mix of a new track called Caged. Anything needs addressing?

Thanks for any input.

https://soundcloud.com/kanewilliams-...st-mix/s-1HS87
Man that is funky. The groove on this is slick. I'm no mixing expert so I'm probably missing something. But the only thing I'm noticing is that the overall mix level is lower than most stuff I listen to. I don't know if that was done on purpose or just something you'll address later. The actual mix of the instruments is great. Just the DB on this seems to be about 2 DB less than what I'm used to. Then again, I listen to most stuff cranked up. lol.

Anyway, the track itself is way cool and I can't find any fault with the performance or mix other than the overall volume.

Great, great job!

Note to self: Learn to play like that. LOL.
Old 3 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Man that is funky. The groove on this is slick. I'm no mixing expert so I'm probably missing something. But the only thing I'm noticing is that the overall mix level is lower than most stuff I listen to. I don't know if that was done on purpose or just something you'll address later. The actual mix of the instruments is great. Just the DB on this seems to be about 2 DB less than what I'm used to. Then again, I listen to most stuff cranked up. lol.

Anyway, the track itself is way cool and I can't find any fault with the performance or mix other than the overall volume.

Great, great job!

Note to self: Learn to play like that. LOL.
Hey, thanks for that. I tend to give about 6dB of headroom for the mastering guy. I also used to mix about 2dB's hotter, but this is better I think, as it gives them more scope.
Old 2 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Hey, thanks for that. I tend to give about 6dB of headroom for the mastering guy. I also used to mix about 2dB's hotter, but this is better I think, as it gives them more scope.
Okay, that explains it. So this is all done intentionally for the purposes of mastering.

Can't wait to hear this after it's reached that stage. You will post it, right?
Old 1 hour ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
16th track from my upcoming 2 CD set "80s Squared"

This completes CD 1.

For this track, returned to the emulations. This group came out towards the end of the 80s synth pop era. They weren't very big, not even in their own country. They turned to a more minimalist sound probably in protest of the sometimes overproduced big sounding tracks of the 80s with the big drums and tons of reverb and all that stuff.

So in emulating them, I really scaled this one down. Only 7 tracks on this tune. It's rather on the creepy side, especially towards the end. Not many lyrics as seemed to be their style. Mostly single notes being played in bass, lead and even pad. Couldn't find one chord in the track. Drum beat very simple. In fact, for the track I copied the drum beat exactly including the sounds used which were kick and clap.

Now that the easy part is done (the first 16 tracks) now comes the hard part. Somehow coming up with 16 more. This is where I'm really going to be tested. Historically, double albums are usually album 1 good, album 2 bad. Look at The Beatles White Album. Of course some would say that whole album was bad.

Still, I'm up for the challenge.

Anyway, here's the last of CD 1.

S P Uh Nahzh

I come into your land to kill you
I want to penetrate your perimeter
S P Uh Nahzh
S P Uh Nahzh

I'll steal your secrets use them gainst you
Then there'll be nothing left of your world
S P Uh Nahzh
S P Uh Nahzh

This is perhaps the best thing you've done - Kinda late '70s, early '80s minimal synth.

I think it needs two things:

1) A real, human vocal. The vocaloid plugin is weird in a 'wrong' way. It immediately sounds like a kid f**king around in their bedroom and pretending to make music instead of the real thing. No matter how much you don't like your voice, use your voice or another real voice.

2) Dirty up the production - It would be appropropriate for this genre. When tracks are too clean in general, they just sound artificial and plugin-y. It sounds too general MIDI.
Old 1 minute ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface View Post
This is perhaps the best thing you've done - Kinda late '70s, early '80s minimal synth.

I think it needs two things:

1) A real, human vocal. The vocaloid plugin is weird in a 'wrong' way. It immediately sounds like a kid f**king around in their bedroom and pretending to make music instead of the real thing. No matter how much you don't like your voice, use your voice or another real voice.

2) Dirty up the production - It would be appropropriate for this genre. When tracks are too clean in general, they just sound artificial and plugin-y. It sounds too general MIDI.
Thanks for listening and the feedback. All suggestions noted.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search