The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Post your rough demos
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

DBM

This is what you were looking for, sort of, on Don't Blame me. Just wasn't thinking about mixing since I'm still looking for feel and where to go with these kinds of songs.
Attached Files

Don't Blame Me feat. Satish_2.mp3 (7.20 MB, 149 views)

Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Well, I wish the vocals were turned up a little in the mix (had some trouble hearing them) and the recording itself sounds a little muddy, but I like the tune. I was tapping my foot through the whole thing.
Of course you had trouble hearing the vocals. That's intentional. Nobody needs to hear that. But the song is funny enough.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
This is what you were looking for, sort of, on Don't Blame me. Just wasn't thinking about mixing since I'm still looking for feel and where to go with these kinds of songs.
Yep, that's it. Nailed it.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

By the way, what is that weird vocal sound you use?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
By the way, what is that weird vocal sound you use?
If you're referring to the synthetic vocals, that's Vocaloid.

https://www.vocaloid.com/en/
Old 17 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The difference is, I pick my battles. You gave me advice on improving my mixes and I took it. And you have to admit that my mixes are better. I knew that was something I could improve on.

I can't improve on my voice. In fact, as I get older, it's going to get worse. My mother was an opera singer but eventually, with age, she lost her voice. It was sad, but it happens. Julie Andrews lost her voice. Talk about sad.

Trying to deal with voice is not a battle I want to fight because it's just not important to me. It's too much effort for too little gain, if any at all.

In this track, I ran my voice through.

EQ
Munison
Compressor
Limiter
Valhalla Plate

That's the only reason it sounded as good as it did and that's not saying much.

I can improve my mixes. And with time, my mixes will get even better because my skills will get even better.

But I can't improve on a voice that reached its peak back in the early 90s.

So, as I said, I choose to pick my battles and this isn't a battle I want to fight.

It has nothing to do with pride.
Ok, 'dagnabit', there's no point in me 'beating a dead horse', I'll stop 'digging' if there's no 'prospect' of that 'darn Vocaloid' gettin' outta' Dodge!

BTW is that the banjo from Realitone? It sounds very good.
Old 17 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just so you don't think I have no feel for electronic type, here is one of what they call around here a "jam"...
Niiiice!
Old 16 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
Ok, 'dagnabit', there's no point in me 'beating a dead horse', I'll stop 'digging' if there's no 'prospect' of that 'darn Vocaloid' gettin' outta' Dodge!

BTW is that the banjo from Realitone? It sounds very good.
Yes, that's the Realitone banjo and it's really good. I'm also going to be picking up the Misfit Harmonica from 8Dio. I like the Chris Hein one for certain things but the Misfit will cover what Chris Hein is weak at and that makes sense as one is a chromatic and the other is a blues with built in special FX that Chris Hein simply can't pull off.

Also going to be picking up the 8Dio Jaw Harp.

And I'm not totally ruling out singing more of these myself. Obviously for the female based tunes that's not happening but don't give up hope just yet. And I just might mix in some Vocaloid in the background to give my voice some assistance on tricky parts where I get a little pitchy.

Remember, I did used to sing everything I did. And for the more talkie like songs, like this one, I think I can pull it off passably if not great.

Just don't expect me to sing a country ballad. LOL
Old 15 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, that's the Realitone banjo and it's really good. I'm also going to be picking up the Misfit Harmonica from 8Dio. I like the Chris Hein one for certain things but the Misfit will cover what Chris Hein is weak at and that makes sense as one is a chromatic and the other is a blues with built in special FX that Chris Hein simply can't pull off.

Also going to be picking up the 8Dio Jaw Harp.

And I'm not totally ruling out singing more of these myself. Obviously for the female based tunes that's not happening but don't give up hope just yet. And I just might mix in some Vocaloid in the background to give my voice some assistance on tricky parts where I get a little pitchy.

Remember, I did used to sing everything I did. And for the more talkie like songs, like this one, I think I can pull it off passably if not great.

Just don't expect me to sing a country ballad. LOL
I just looked up the 8dio Harmonica and I think I will get it, it sounds quite authentic and well scripted.
Glad you haven't ruled out doing some more singing, but now that you've mentioned country ballads I sooo want to hear Vocaloid do Crazy.
I can't believe I just said that!
Old 15 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just looked up the 8dio Harmonica and I think I will get it, it sounds quite authentic and well scripted.
Glad you haven't ruled out doing some more singing, but now that you've mentioned country ballads I sooo want to hear Vocaloid do Crazy.
I can't believe I just said that!
Is that the Patsy Cline song?

If so, that would almost be comical.
Old 15 hours ago
Lives for gear

Here you go.

I do not have this Vocaloid and never even heard of her.
Old 15 hours ago
Lives for gear

Did some research. She's Vocaloid 2 (I'm using 4) back when they were really bad and I doubt she'd work on 4 anyway.

My singers, while not human, are way better than the early versions which were just plain awful.
Old 13 hours ago
Quote:
Well, it's not exactly a ringing endorsement LOL. But I'll take it.

I doubt I'll humanize the whole project. Maybe a couple of tunes here and there. Really don't like singing anymore and obviously don't like my voice.

We'll see.

Quote:
I have no lower registers. I have no voice. I keep trying to tell people I can't sing but nobody wants to listen.

Fortunately, I can put the mic in the case for good and never take it out if I want.

That's the beauty of doing this stuff just to have fun.

Anyway, 11 more of these hee haw gems to go.

Hey, was that some fancy banjo pickin or what? LOL

Quote:
Much prefer this version, it has character and I think your voice is going to work better for this project.
Just my opinion.
Anytime you think you cant sing, think of Kris Kristofferson. That dude cant sing a lick (from what Ive heard of him anyway) and has won Grammies.
Old 12 hours ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Did some research. She's Vocaloid 2 (I'm using 4) back when they were really bad and I doubt she'd work on 4 anyway.

My singers, while not human, are way better than the early versions which were just plain awful.
Do sing into a microphone and play the notes like with a vocoder?
Old 10 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here you go.

I do not have this Vocaloid and never even heard of her.
Thanks! That was awful!
They even managed to get it out of tune in places, too heavy with the pitch bend, although the placement of the words was pretty good.
I wanted to hear it more synthetic, the voices you use would be more fun in this case, I think.
Old 10 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlcoholByVolume View Post
Anytime you think you cant sing, think of Kris Kristofferson. That dude cant sing a lick (from what Ive heard of him anyway) and has won Grammies.
So true!

I'm also thinking of Lee Marvin's Wandering Star. Boy, we hated that song when it went to number one for weeks in 1970.
Old 10 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do sing into a microphone and play the notes like with a vocoder?
I actually hand type the notes and lyrics into a piano roll. Tricky, but with practice, you can get the phrasing to sound pretty good.
Old 10 hours ago
Quote:
So true!

I'm also thinking of Lee Marvin's Wandering Star. Boy, we hated that song when it went to number one for weeks in 1970.
Oh man, thats funny!

Might as well throw Leonard Cohen in there too lol.
Old 7 hours ago
Here for the gear

Old 6 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lite_daddy View Post
Howdy all,

Just finished up this one song (I think) thoughts and opinions?

Thanks https://clyp.it/gy1d05de
Shades of Pink Floyd, Procal Harum and Grand Funk.

Nice clean recording.

I like it. Well done!
Old 4 hours ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lite_daddy View Post
Howdy all,

Just finished up this one song (I think) thoughts and opinions?

Thanks https://clyp.it/gy1d05de
Very dark side of the moon era Floyd! sounds great and the mix is really good too. Could you tell me what the vocal chain was and also how the bass tone was achieved? really really good
Old 4 hours ago
Gear Head

written, performed and mixed alone
genre: strange - probably alternative rock, maybe a bit progressive
completeness: 90% - no proper ending yet

https://youtu.be/0sq6z9crxDo

I would be keen to hear your thoughts on the song.

Cheers
Old 4 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamhutch89 View Post
written, performed and mixed alone
genre: strange - probably alternative rock, maybe a bit progressive
completeness: 90% - no proper ending yet

https://youtu.be/0sq6z9crxDo

I would be keen to hear your thoughts on the song.

Cheers
Interesting. Not quite sure how to pigeon hole it. Would need some time on that. Does sound like something from the 1976 - 1977 era but I can't put my finger on who.

Nice mix. A little odd musically, but that's better than being predictable.

All in all, I liked it, ending and all.
Old 1 hour ago
Lives for gear

2nd track from my upcoming CD "A Whole Lotta Country"

This is the Vocaloid version. There will be a Wagtunes version provided it's not out of my range.

Down By The Crick

You're gonna do what I want you to
Down by the crick
I'm gonna do what I wanna do
Down by the crick
You won't get away from me
The whole world is gonna see
Ain't gonna be no mystery
Down by the crick

I've been waitin' for so long
Down by the crick
Don't really care if it's oh so wrong
Down by the crick
You're gonna be my girl tonight
No sense puttin' up a fight
I'm gonna make everythin' all right
Down by the crick

Now that it is over and done
Down by the crick
Wish you hadn't pulled that gun
Down by the crick
God it made a ghastly sound
Good thing no one was around
And your body won't be found
Down by the crick

Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search