The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your rough demos
Old 30th August 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
A fellow NJerseyite. Composition wise, nice soundscape. I enjoyed listening to it.

Maybe a few minor EQ tweaks but I'm no mix master so don't go by me. Mid range seemed a little hot at times especially about 30 or so seconds in. Wasn't really looking at the timer. Bottom end maybe a little weak but again, just some minor adjustments. Otherwise I think the track is excellent.

How long you been doing soundtrack work?

Thank you very much, and I'm actually really glad you enjoyed listening to it as this track is going to go on my next ambient / chill wave / soundscape/ whatever-you-want-to-call-it album.

I agree the mids are bit hot... I think that is coming out from the synth part. I'm going to open up the low end in the synth and control the highs /mids in the synth better.

Sound track work, I haven't been at it long. Ideally, I'm am really trying to get into that seriously for the past 6 months or so. I've done two short films so far, after that, I've been getting nowhere. My writing is all over, I started with neo-classical, I'm also planning a solo piano piece album in that style (maybe) So I figure might as well go for film / video game / media composing since you need to be a little multi-genre-all over for that.
Old 30th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLateNight View Post
Thank you very much, and I'm actually really glad you enjoyed listening to it as this track is going to go on my next ambient / chill wave / soundscape/ whatever-you-want-to-call-it album.

I agree the mids are bit hot... I think that is coming out from the synth part. I'm going to open up the low end in the synth and control the highs /mids in the synth better.

Sound track work, I haven't been at it long. Ideally, I'm am really trying to get into that seriously for the past 6 months or so. I've done two short films so far, after that, I've been getting nowhere. My writing is all over, I started with neo-classical, I'm also planning a solo piano piece album in that style (maybe) So I figure might as well go for film / video game / media composing since you need to be a little multi-genre-all over for that.
Your life sounds a little like min with the "writing is all over" comment. I've done everything from piano concertos and symphonies to rock, pop, progressive and, just recently, a Broadway musical type soundtrack. Don't worry, I won't bore you with any of it. The general consensus around here is my music sucks. LOL.

Anyway, good luck to you. If you have anything you'd like me to listen to just post it. I'll be happy to give it a listen to.
Old 30th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
You must have a very empty life.

I watch NJTV- You don't know diddly-squat!!

Your friend,
~HW
Old 31st August 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny nowhere View Post
That's good stuff Ace! Tastefully done too. I feel that the one thing that folks tend to overdo is the kid singing songs, but you tempered your tune with just the right amount of your son's voice interspersed with what I assume is your own. The segue from his voice to the leadwork was sweet.
I appreciate the kind words....I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Old 31st August 2016
Lives for gear

Well, I was gonna take a break after my Broadway soundtrack but I'm just too restless to sit around and do nothing. So I've started my new Vocaloid CD, the title of which is going to be "M"

This is the first track where I'm experimenting with MUnison, a harmonizer. So now I've got robotic FX on robotic vocals. The 4 part harmonizer is really cool and sounds great on background vocals. I'm just learning it so this track is probably a little rough.

Lyrics in description

Old 31st August 2016
Gear Head
stephen hawking: the musical
Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear

2nd track of my upcoming CD "M"

More harmonizer work on the vocals. This one is a huge left turn from the Broadway stuff.

Lyrics in description

Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Well, I was gonna take a break after my Broadway soundtrack but I'm just too restless to sit around and do nothing. So I've started my new Vocaloid CD, the title of which is going to be "M"

This is the first track where I'm experimenting with MUnison, a harmonizer. So now I've got robotic FX on robotic vocals. The 4 part harmonizer is really cool and sounds great on background vocals. I'm just learning it so this track is probably a little rough.

Lyrics in description

tbh I'm not much of a harmonizer fan, but I like the song overall. Has a kind of 70s pop thing to it. Catchy and easy on the ears
Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear
PS generally speaking however you people are ticking me off because I feel like I have to up my game
Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
tbh I'm not much of a harmonizer fan, but I like the song overall. Has a kind of 70s pop thing to it. Catchy and easy on the ears
Thanks for listening. Lots of people aren't fans of the Vocaloid sound in general. For me, it's a necessary evil.
Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
I could see that avatar of yours up in lights all down 42nd street. Those synthetic eyes peering down expressionlessly, an eerie prelude to the creepy, sterilized vocalizations to come.

Haha...I kid, man.

Yeah, in d-bag kind of way.

Ah but I kid.
Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks for listening. Lots of people aren't fans of the Vocaloid sound in general. For me, it's a necessary evil.
Yes, I'm seeing some of the earlier BS replies. Not worth giving any credence to. I do think it's harder to make that work for Broadway-oriented stuff and some other stuff, but certainly do-able...and for some songs, it works fine, even preferable. But it all varies a lot and of course subjective. Another thought: try working some magic via mixing or other effects on your voice? Or have you been there/done that?
Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunglespice View Post
If it is any consolation, 98% of what I hear on the radio is mediocre and corny.
Really? 98% of what I hear is pathetic.

Quote:
Just have fun and if someone doesn't provide constructive criticism, then screw them.
Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, I'm seeing some of the earlier BS replies. Not worth giving any credence to. I do think it's harder to make that work for Broadway-oriented stuff and some other stuff, but certainly do-able...and for some songs, it works fine, even preferable. But it all varies a lot and of course subjective. Another thought: try working some magic via mixing or other effects on your voice? Or have you been there/done that?
Well, I don't sing anymore. Long story. All the vocals on my songs are synthetic. I try to doctor them as much as I can but there is only so much you can do. And as I explained already, I don't have the money to hire a vocalist, which would also include studio time cost. So it is what it is and I make the best of it.
Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Well, I don't sing anymore. Long story. All the vocals on my songs are synthetic. I try to doctor them as much as I can but there is only so much you can do. And as I explained already, I don't have the money to hire a vocalist, which would also include studio time cost. So it is what it is and I make the best of it.
You really need to find someone who will record vocals for you for fun, as a collaboration. They can record themselves. A living room, a $100 mic/stand/pop filter and a budget interface will get results perfectly acceptable. I record scratch vocals via the mic built in to my laptop and in a quiet room, they could be used for demo's.

Give it a go, ask around. You can always go back to Vocaloid if it doesn't work out.
Old 2nd September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
You really need to find someone who will record vocals for you for fun, as a collaboration. They can record themselves. A living room, a $100 mic/stand/pop filter and a budget interface will get results perfectly acceptable. I record scratch vocals via the mic built in to my laptop and in a quiet room, they could be used for demo's.

Give it a go, ask around. You can always go back to Vocaloid if it doesn't work out.
I don't know anybody. I'm not spending time going out looking for people and going "Hey, I can't pay you but will you learn and sing my songs for me? Oh, by the way, I've got a whole Broadway soundtrack of 16 tunes I need done."

Yeah, I don't think that's gonna fly.

I'm perfectly content with my Vocaloid even if the rest of the free world hates it, thank you.
Old 3rd September 2016
Lives for gear
ha, I wouldn't go that far. Don't mean to brow-beat it, but one last suggestion: you can find people online who you could give a crack at it. I'm sure there are many at least competent if not good singers who would do it for free, perhaps just asking for credit as appropriate on a CD or online, whatever.

Dropping it now
Old 3rd September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
ha, I wouldn't go that far. Don't mean to brow-beat it, but one last suggestion: you can find people online who you could give a crack at it. I'm sure there are many at least competent if not good singers who would do it for free, perhaps just asking for credit as appropriate on a CD or online, whatever.

Dropping it now
And how exactly am I supposed to get the tracks to these people so that they can be mixed properly? In order to even have a prayer of this sounding decent, they would have to have the ability to download my project and drop their vocals into it. That means having the following:

Same DAW
Same VSTs

The only other option is, again, getting them to fly out to NJ, paying their own way, and recording the vocals here.

And I could go into a dozen more logistical nightmares but I don't want to waste my time doing it.

Again, I am perfectly content using Vocaloid for my vocals.
Old 3rd September 2016
Here for the gear

soundcloud.com/clivvy
Old 3rd September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivvy View Post
soundcloud.com/clivvy
Well, I can't listen to 92 tracks but I did want to give you some kind of feedback.

Listened to GenX and two things stuck out for me. This is purely a taste thing and not a criticism of the song itself.

1) Kick seemed to be dry, up front and out of place with everything else that seemed kind of washed in reverb and in the background. Would have liked the music itself to be maybe a little more up front. Kick was just too overpowering for me.

2) Didn't seem to be a distinctive melody. More like a soundscape of ideas floating around, which is fine. Just didn't have much to latch onto as far as memorability.

Other than that, it was fine. It certainly was pleasant enough to listen to as background music for maybe even meditation purposes. Dial the kick down about 2 db and bring everything up about 2 db and I think you got something.

My 2 cents, which around here are pretty worthless. But like I said, just wanted to give you some feedback as that's pretty rare around here.

If I get more time, I'll listen to a few more throughout the week.
Old 4th September 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Listened to GenX and two things stuck out for me. This is purely a taste thing and not a criticism of the song itself.

1) Kick seemed to be dry, up front and out of place with everything else that seemed kind of washed in reverb and in the background. Would have liked the music itself to be maybe a little more up front. Kick was just too overpowering for me.
Agreed. I would bring it down, maybe even take it out, and pump up the bass to drive the song more.

I liked it, in a soundscape-y kinda way.

I also listened to "Shot Away".....same thoughts for that one as well.
Old 4th September 2016
Gear Head

Quote:

Lyrics in description

I like the composition, Wag. I'm a sucker for pop, especially with a retro feel to it.

Your "Get Funky" tune has possibilities, as well, but "ride me like a wide cow?" That might get a little pushback from some quarters, like, you know...women!
Old 4th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Fired Up View Post
I like the composition, Wag. I'm a sucker for pop, especially with a retro feel to it.

Your "Get Funky" tune has possibilities, as well, but "ride me like a wide cow?" That might get a little pushback from some quarters, like, you know...women!
My lyrics tend to get a little odd from time to time. I don't worry about being politically correct since I don't worry about the business end of this stuff anymore. This is all just for fun now.
Old 4th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
My lyrics tend to get a little odd from time to time.
That is an understatement, Wag!
As of late, everything is a little odd. Form, structure, melodies, harmony, instrumentation, genres, etc... I could go into detail, but you get the idea.

Quote:
I don't worry about being politically correct since I don't worry about the business end of this stuff anymore.
Therein lies the problem, Wag!
You rather have 10.000 'rough' demos than a single 'finished' demo; Behringer comes to mind.

Quote:
This is all just for fun now.
May be for you Wag, but you have to think about us!

Cheers,
~HW

Last edited by Herr Weiss; 4th September 2016 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 4th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss View Post
That is an understatement, Wag!
As of late, everything is a little odd. Form, structure, melodies, harmony, instrumentation, genres, etc... I could go into detail, but you get the idea.

Therein lies the problem, Wag!
You rather have 10.000 'rough' demos then a single 'finished' demo; Behringer comes to mind.

May be for you Wag, but you have to think about us!

Cheers,
~HW
There's always the mute button or the choice not to listen.

So no, I don't have to think about anybody but my own enjoyment in the kind of music I make.
Old 4th September 2016
Lives for gear

This was originally a one synth challenge at KVR and since I didn't want the track to go to total waste, I threw some nonsense lyrics on top of it and came up with a song. Whole thing took like 4 hours. Probably the stupidest thing I've ever done. But catchy and just might have you humming it. If you do, don't say I didn't warn you.

Synth used: Free Tyrell N6 by U-he
Vocals by Vocaloid Cyber Diva

Stupid lyrics in description.

Old 4th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Probably the stupidest thing I've ever done. But catchy and just might have you humming it. If you do, don't say I didn't warn you.
At least you got a sense of humor.

Quote:
So no, I don't have to think about anybody but my own enjoyment in the kind of music I make.
Bingo!! More humor!

I find it very difficult to understand you sometimes, Wag.
Your wordplay makes even a short phrase ambiguous. You mean whilst composing or when posting it here? Does it mean you care not if your audience, in this case, we members of this fine site, get teary-eyed or not, when listening to 'Once Upon A Time'? Is the act of creation all you care for? Does it provides you with the sustenance needed to survive, is that what you mean??

Because, if you don't give a damn what others think about your work, what's the point in posting? It is very easy to become complacent and set the bar low, as you have only yourself to please and no one else. You must rise above this uninspired condition you find yourself in, by making sure you give your absolute best at all times.

I'm afraid my words will go unheeded and you will continue on this path unchanged, sigh. Time will tell.

~HW

Last edited by Herr Weiss; 5th September 2016 at 03:41 AM..
Old 5th September 2016
Lives for gear
I can't decide if you're just messing with this person which is funny to you and wag because you 2 have an understanding, or you're just being an obnoxious jerk. I'm assuming by your use of the laughably archaic worst "whilst" that the former is true.
Old 5th September 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss View Post

Behringer comes to mind.
Ouch! But... LOL
Old 5th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can't decide if you're just messing with this person which is funny to you and wag because you 2 have an understanding, or you're just being an obnoxious jerk. I'm assuming by your use of the laughably archaic worst "whilst" that the former is true.
None of the above, I'm serious.

I'm no expert when it comes to 'Broadway Musicals', but when Wag posted the first song 'Once Upon A Time', I was intrigued.

The nameless 'Princess' has to sing twelve songs all by herself before nameless 'Prince' comes to her aid; the four duets.

Who I ask, who would let a singer go through such a musical gauntlet??
Sing 16 songs without any rest!?!? A musical with just two singers??? Insane!!!

If a person does not know the first thing about 'Musicals', perhaps, they should entirely avoid the genre. One song would have been enough.

A through critique may follow.

~HW
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear