The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your rough demos
Old 29th August 2016
  #1501
Hell no!
Old 30th August 2016
  #1502
Lives for gear
 
Herr Weiss's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny nowhere View Post
Heck no!


Old 30th August 2016
  #1503
Gear Head
 
All Fired Up's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny nowhere View Post
Side Effects is a great tune. You nailed the surf guitar. Kinda sounds like Lou Reid meets X vocals. My (female) cousin and I were laughing our collective asses off. The 'chorus' lines are priceless.
Thank you, Johnny! I had a blast in all phases of writing and recording it. The voice on the narrative passages was one of my sons, who's also into recording and collaborated with me on that part. - John
Old 30th August 2016
  #1504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss View Post



Shall I insert a bar of soap into my mouth, as well?
Old 30th August 2016
  #1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Fired Up View Post
Thank you, Johnny! I had a blast in all phases of writing and recording it. The voice on the narrative passages was one of my sons, who's also into recording and collaborated with me on that part. - John
Enough cannot be said for having your offspring helping you in the writing and recording process. The only things that will be left of us one day will be our music and our children. After we have moved on, they will always have fond memories when listening to the tracks that you worked on together.
Old 30th August 2016
  #1506
Lives for gear
 
Herr Weiss's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny nowhere View Post
Shall I insert a bar of soap into my mouth, as well?

No, but at my church even heck is frowned upon!



~HW
Old 30th August 2016
  #1507
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny nowhere View Post
And you said that you could take constructive criticism.
There is nothing constructive about blaming me for the lack of participation in this forum.
Old 30th August 2016
  #1508
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Fired Up View Post
Here's a couple of songs I've recorded over the past couple of months while learning to record in the digital realm in my new home studio. I've been writing complete songs only for a few months, but I've been playing guitar for fifty years! I hope you enjoy them. I'd like your opinion. - John


I like it. Nice guitar work. Nice vocals. Like the background vocals too. Minor nit pick on the guitar solo. Could probably be toned down a bit in the mix.

Reminds me of something from the mid 60s. Actually around 1966. Can't place it though.

Well done.
Old 30th August 2016
  #1509
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Fired Up View Post
For some reason, the second song did not post correctly. Let's try this again:

Well, heck, here's the link:
https://soundcloud.com/user-847930655/side-effects
Really like this one. Nice mix. Great lyrical play on words. Later 60s feel on this one. Very well played. Nice and tight on everything. Oh, and parts funny as hell too.

When a song makes me smile when I listen to it, it's done its job.

Well done.
Old 30th August 2016
  #1510
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
There is nothing constructive about blaming me for the lack of participation in this forum.
What I'm attempting to do, is point out that since you have decided the forum is yours to commandeer, nobody wants to play with you.

You claim that your advice is worthless, but then proceed to criticise everyone's else work whilst you cannot even perform vocals on your lifeless - and I do mean to say lifeless - tunes.

I thought you were going to put a sock in it?
Old 30th August 2016
  #1511
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny nowhere View Post
What I'm attempting to do, is point out that since you have decided the forum is yours to commandeer, nobody wants to play with you.

You claim that your advice is worthless, but then proceed to criticise everyone's else work whilst you cannot even perform vocals on your lifeless - and I do mean to say lifeless - tunes.

I thought you were going to put a sock in it?
There you go. Was that so hard? Constructive feedback. My tunes are lifeless. Okay. I'd ask you to go into detail as to why but no need. I can probably figure it out for myself.

Thank you. At least I got something back and I really do appreciate it.
Old 30th August 2016
  #1512
Gear Head
 
All Fired Up's Avatar
Who screwed YOU up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
There is nothing constructive about blaming me for the lack of participation in this forum.
"What I'm attempting to do, is point out that since you have decided the forum is yours to commandeer, nobody wants to play with you.

You claim that your advice is worthless, but then proceed to criticise everyone's else work whilst you cannot even perform vocals on your lifeless - and I do mean to say lifeless - tunes.

I thought you were going to put a sock in it?" - Johnny Nowhere

Since you both like to laugh, I thought I'd get in the middle of y'all and post this other song I wrote. It's not very well fleshed out, musically, but it makes me laugh because, well, it's funny, and it's true! It's called "Who's to Blame?"

https://soundcloud.com/user-847930655/whos-to-blame

John
Old 30th August 2016
  #1513
Gear Head
 
All Fired Up's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
There you go. Was that so hard? Constructive feedback. My tunes are lifeless. Okay. I'd ask you to go into detail as to why but no need. I can probably figure it out for myself.

Thank you. At least I got something back and I really do appreciate it.
By the way, Wag, first, I thank you heartily for your feedback. I have listened to several of your songs and only wish I had such talent. So don't think I'm on the attack, I just thought you guys would appreciate this. - John
Old 30th August 2016
  #1514
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Fired Up View Post
"What I'm attempting to do, is point out that since you have decided the forum is yours to commandeer, nobody wants to play with you.

You claim that your advice is worthless, but then proceed to criticise everyone's else work whilst you cannot even perform vocals on your lifeless - and I do mean to say lifeless - tunes.

I thought you were going to put a sock in it?" - Johnny Nowhere

Since you both like to laugh, I thought I'd get in the middle of y'all and post this other song I wrote. It's not very well fleshed out, musically, but it makes me laugh because, well, it's funny, and it's true! It's called "Who's to Blame?"

https://soundcloud.com/user-847930655/whos-to-blame

John
Love it. Funny as hell and so much truth to the finish. LOL.

I had to keep from laughing out loud because I didn't want my wife giving me funny looks wondering what I was cracking up over.

I think with a little polishing, this could be a really cool novelty song.
Old 30th August 2016
  #1515
Lives for gear
 
Herr Weiss's Avatar
 

Shoot, I had a ball listening to 'Once Upon A Time'. Hilarious!!
Old 30th August 2016
  #1516
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
There you go. Was that so hard? Constructive feedback. My tunes are lifeless. Okay. I'd ask you to go into detail as to why but no need. I can probably figure it out for myself.

Thank you. At least I got something back and I really do appreciate it.
Let's just ignore the elephant in the room for now.

The tongue in cheek comment in and of itself is worthless without context. I'm referring to that dreadful robotic vocal processor. As in lifeless. There is absolutely no emotion, it is as cold as my ex-wife. Surely, there is no freaking way that you cannot do better job using your own vocal cords.
Old 30th August 2016
  #1517
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny nowhere View Post
Let's just ignore the elephant in the room for now.

The tongue in cheek comment in and of itself is worthless without context. I'm referring to that dreadful robotic vocal processor. As in lifeless. There is absolutely no emotion, it is as cold as my ex-wife. Surely, there is no freaking way that you cannot do better job using your own vocal cords.
Being serious now and not looking for any kind of arguments or fighting and honestly just trying to have a civil conversation, I wish that were true.

At 58 years of age, with severe allergies and nodes on my vocal chords, my voice is shot. Forget that there is just no way I can pull off singing songs made for a female singer. I've actually tried to sing these songs. My voice cracks all over the place.

I used to have an okay singing voice when I was younger that you can hear in some of my older songs. No, don't worry, I won't post them and torture you with the horrible recordings. But those days are gone. The only reason I'm not terribly upset by it is because I never wanted to be a singer anyway. Singing just wasn't important to me. I just wanted to write songs and that's it.

Anyway, I'm really going to try very hard to keep this sub forum peaceful as I can. If somebody posts a track, I'll comment on it, keep it civil and move on. That's it. I won't expect any comments on my own music. Honestly, I just post them now to give me something to do to kill a few minutes. I've too old and been doing this too long to really care what anybody thinks of this stuff outside of my close friends and family.

But I hope that clears up why I don't sing my own songs anymore.
Old 30th August 2016
  #1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Being serious now and not looking for any kind of arguments or fighting and honestly just trying to have a civil conversation, I wish that were true.

At 58 years of age, with severe allergies and nodes on my vocal chords, my voice is shot. Forget that there is just no way I can pull off singing songs made for a female singer. I've actually tried to sing these songs. My voice cracks all over the place.

I used to have an okay singing voice when I was younger that you can hear in some of my older songs. No, don't worry, I won't post them and torture you with the horrible recordings. But those days are gone. The only reason I'm not terribly upset by it is because I never wanted to be a singer anyway. Singing just wasn't important to me. I just wanted to write songs and that's it.

Anyway, I'm really going to try very hard to keep this sub forum peaceful as I can. If somebody posts a track, I'll comment on it, keep it civil and move on. That's it. I won't expect any comments on my own music. Honestly, I just post them now to give me something to do to kill a few minutes. I've too old and been doing this too long to really care what anybody thinks of this stuff outside of my close friends and family.

But I hope that clears up why I don't sing my own songs anymore.
Okay, now we're getting down to brass tacks. I can identify with your difficulties, now that I understand that one truly exists. I reckon I've heard my share of folks opine that 'my voice sucks' when in facts theirs was no worse than my own. And believe it or not, I can empathise, because - as Tom Waits would say - I have my own double cross to bear.

I came down with CFS nine years ago this coming November. It absolutely destroyed my life. Not only did it rob me of my livelihood, it made it damn near impossible to play and accompany myself on an entire tune without giving out altogether. Gone were the 10 hour recording sessions. In fact, in order to give a song my best shot, I was reduced to recording one or two verses at a time before having to pause the tape to sit and rest. After some amount of time in which I could 'recover', I'd rewind, play, and punch in another verse.

This coming from a guy who, at 51, could complete 70 mile bike rides with no problem. So - I compromised. I came to the conclusion that my big winded days were over, so I just started doing instrumentals, and my Muse obliged. I simply don't have words delivered anymore. Unfortunate perhaps. But maybe Geroge Harrison was right when he said, "Nothing often says much more than something that's been said before'.

Insofar as losing your singing voice - you have my sincerest sympathies. But as far as the old man gig - I turned 60 last week, but if I fall, I can still get up.

Last edited by johnny nowhere; 30th August 2016 at 03:47 AM.. Reason: redundant punctuation.
Old 30th August 2016
  #1519
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny nowhere View Post
Okay, now we're getting down to brass tacks. I can identify with your difficulties, now that I understand that one truly exists. I reckon I've heard my share of folks opine that 'my voice sucks' when in facts theirs was no worse than my own. And believe it or not, I can empathise, because - as Tom Waits would say - I have my own double cross to bear.

I came down with CFS nine years ago this coming November. It absolutely destroyed my life. Not only did it rob me of my livelihood, it made it damn near impossible to play and accompany myself on an entire tune without giving out altogether. Gone were the 10 hour recording sessions. In fact, in order to give a song my best shot, I was reduced to recording one or two verses at a time before having to pause the tape to sit and rest. After some amount of time in which I could 'recover', I'd rewind, play, and punch in another verse.

This coming from a guy who, at 51, could complete 70 mile bike rides with no problem. So - I compromised. I came to the conclusion that my big winded days were over, so I just started doing instrumentals, and my Muse obliged. I simply don't have words delivered anymore. Unfortunate perhaps. But maybe Geroge Harrison was right when he said, "Nothing often says much more than something that's been said before'.

Insofar as losing your singing voice - you have my sincerest sympathies. But as far as the old man gig - I turned 60 last week, but if I fall, I can still get up.
I'm truly sorry to hear this. Shows you that you don't have a clue about the lives of the people here. I honestly don't know how well I'd handle your situation. Knowing me, probably not well at all. In comparison, my life is Shangri La.

Don't know what else to say. And then there are people who have it worse than that. My wife's friend's husband was just diagnosed with liver cancer. From what I hear, it's not good. He's my age. They have two kids with special needs. I don't even know how she's going to take care of both of them all alone.

I try to remind myself of these things every day so I don't act like such an ass because when it comes down to it, I have nothing to complain about.
Old 30th August 2016
  #1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
I'm truly sorry to hear this. Shows you that you don't have a clue about the lives of the people here. I honestly don't know how well I'd handle your situation. Knowing me, probably not well at all. In comparison, my life is Shangri La.

Don't know what else to say. And then there are people who have it worse than that. My wife's friend's husband was just diagnosed with liver cancer. From what I hear, it's not good. He's my age. They have two kids with special needs. I don't even know how she's going to take care of both of them all alone.

I try to remind myself of these things every day so I don't act like such an ass because when it comes down to it, I have nothing to complain about.
I don't allow anything short of death itself to prevent me from being an ass, but I credit my obstinace at times as being the primary reason that I do not simply quit completely.

But don't feel bad for me, because you are right - and I too am always having to remind myself - that irrespective of how badly I feel some days, there are others who have it far worse.
Old 30th August 2016
  #1521
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny nowhere View Post
Enough cannot be said for having your offspring helping you in the writing and recording process. The only things that will be left of us one day will be our music and our children. After we have moved on, they will always have fond memories when listening to the tracks that you worked on together.
Agreed....I recorded my 6 year old son on this track. Take a listen!

https://soundcloud.com/johnd5412/the-afterlife
Old 30th August 2016
  #1522
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd5412 View Post
Agreed....I recorded my 6 year old son on this track. Take a listen!

https://soundcloud.com/johnd5412/the-afterlife
That's good stuff Ace! Tastefully done too. I feel that the one thing that folks tend to overdo is the kid singing songs, but you tempered your tune with just the right amount of your son's voice interspersed with what I assume is your own. The segue from his voice to the leadwork was sweet.
Old 30th August 2016
  #1523
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny nowhere View Post
I don't allow anything short of death itself to prevent me from being an ass, but I credit my obstinace at times as being the primary reason that I do not simply quit completely.

But don't feel bad for me, because you are right - and I too am always having to remind myself - that irrespective of how badly I feel some days, there are others who have it far worse.
Question. Do you have any of your stuff posted anywhere? I'd like to listen to some of it. After all, it's why I come here in the first place.
Old 30th August 2016
  #1524
I don't post much of my stuff on here to be honest. Just click on my 'Credits' list under the avatar and that will take you to my RN page. Thanks.
Old 30th August 2016
  #1525
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny nowhere View Post
I don't post much of my stuff on here to be honest. Just click on my 'Credits' list under the avatar and that will take you to my RN page. Thanks.
Well, you got quite a bit of stuff there so I looked at the titles and I liked "Forever A Fool" so gave that a listen to.

Damn good.

So, you did professionally. You DID do this professionally, right? If not, you should have.

See, I was never that good a performer nor will I ever be. I'm just a composer who was hoping to find a band to perform my stuff. Never happened.

Anyway, shame if you can't do this anymore. I'd be beyond pissed and nowhere near as gracious about it as you are.

Anyway, you certainly put my talents to shame and now I understand the "lifeless" remark coming from you. In context, it's perfectly understandable.

When I get some spare time (Have to get to work now) I'll listen to some more of your tracks.

It's always nice to listen to stuff that's good.
Old 30th August 2016
  #1526
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Well, you got quite a bit of stuff there so I looked at the titles and I liked "Forever A Fool" so gave that a listen to.

Damn good.

So, you did professionally. You DID do this professionally, right? If not, you should have.

See, I was never that good a performer nor will I ever be. I'm just a composer who was hoping to find a band to perform my stuff. Never happened.

Anyway, shame if you can't do this anymore. I'd be beyond pissed and nowhere near as gracious about it as you are.

Anyway, you certainly put my talents to shame and now I understand the "lifeless" remark coming from you. In context, it's perfectly understandable.

When I get some spare time (Have to get to work now) I'll listen to some more of your tracks.

It's always nice to listen to stuff that's good.

Well, I really do appreciate your comments, but actually I never did get to launch my work the way that I intended because only a year after I had assembled my home studio and gone to work in earnest, the CFS hit. LOL. The timing couldn't have been worse. So no, I never got to make use of the contacts I'd made, and then the industry began to crumble, all of my Nashville contacts either retired or diversified, and I was left holding a rather deflated football.

I perform all of those tracks in my home studio, making use of some pretty old equipment; a Tascam 388, Wurlitzer WX40 synth, Boss ME-X effects processor, a 71 Fender Musicmaster bass, an a couple of guitars I'd modified out of necessity.

My production has dropped off due to my lack of 'pep'. But to be honest - I'm not very gracious. I feel as if I've been robbed, and often have fits of rage and pretty deep depression. Then it takes a couple of days of regret and exhaustion before I can get myself leveled back out.

This is my 'new reality'.
Old 30th August 2016
  #1527
Lives for gear
 
Herr Weiss's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Anyway, you certainly put my talents to shame and now I understand the "lifeless" remark coming from you. In context, it's perfectly understandable.
Only NOW???

You're a funny dude Mr.



~HW
Old 30th August 2016
  #1528
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss View Post
Only NOW???

You're a funny dude Mr.



~HW
You know, I'm really trying to be civil, nice and helpful to the other members, but if all you can do is insult me every chance you get, all I can do is feel sorry for you. You must have a very empty life. Nothing I said in my response to Johnny warranted this response and I think even he will agree with me.

But whatever. You can continue to show your animosity towards me if that's what makes you happy. I am no longer going to let it bother me.

I'm sure you will have some kind of snide response to this as well.
Old 30th August 2016
  #1529
Gear Addict
 
TheLateNight's Avatar
 

I'd love for some opinions on this track I "finished up" (but not really) last night. I listened on a few monitoring situations, and I'm thinking I need to open up the low end in the synth a bit more? Or maybe duck out a little high end. I'm also probably going to compress the main keys a bit more and bring them out in the mix some. Anyone have any ideas? I think this track will be the opening track on my next album.

https://soundcloud.com/davidlillymus...-rider/s-NXhg1
Old 30th August 2016
  #1530
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLateNight View Post
I'd love for some opinions on this track I "finished up" (but not really) last night. I listened on a few monitoring situations, and I'm thinking I need to open up the low end in the synth a bit more? Or maybe duck out a little high end. I'm also probably going to compress the main keys a bit more and bring them out in the mix some. Anyone have any ideas? I think this track will be the opening track on my next album.

https://soundcloud.com/davidlillymus...-rider/s-NXhg1
A fellow NJerseyite. Composition wise, nice soundscape. I enjoyed listening to it.

Maybe a few minor EQ tweaks but I'm no mix master so don't go by me. Mid range seemed a little hot at times especially about 30 or so seconds in. Wasn't really looking at the timer. Bottom end maybe a little weak but again, just some minor adjustments. Otherwise I think the track is excellent.

How long you been doing soundtrack work?
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump