The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your rough demos
Old 16th January 2012
Here for the gear

My first tracks

Hi guys. I am starting with electronic music, so any comment and help will be welcome. Please, listen to one of my efforts and tell me what you think
Greetings forma Spain
Old 16th January 2012
Here for the gear

@ Chris Lago

Right on man, I totally laughed my ass off!

Last edited by Father; 16th January 2012 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 16th January 2012
Here for the gear

Hey man, I really love the beginning of this and the effects are really nice. I got bored about the third time you repeated the same vocal phrase again, however. I think I get what your going for, but there is so much music like this that I feel like I've heard it already. I do think it would be much better if you were willing to experiment more with the vocal dynamics later in the song. Maybe let it do its thing like it is now, then really do something intense with it. Then I may be wanting more, instead of less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsieur x View Post
This is the final mix and master that will be released as a single in March, rest of the album is almost done as well (just need some vocals and a bit more piano recorded):

Let me know what you nice people think,

Cheers,
Old 16th January 2012
Here for the gear

@ claend or UNIVERSOS PARALELOS

I like what you guys are doing! Post-rock, yes, but you're keeping it real and not trying to disguise generic pop songs with the sound.
Old 17th January 2012
Here's my latest song which needs a female vocalist. The vocals would replace the melodies in this song. If you know a suitable vocalist, point her in my direction. Thanks!

Aflecht / Kraku Music Blog: New song: Aflecht - Again

PS. The bride in the song needs to change. There's something wrong with it which isn't as effective as I would have hoped...
Old 17th January 2012
Here for the gear

Downtempo demo

http://snd.sc/zOXPMK
Old 19th January 2012
Here for the gear

NessoR - Demo Intro 2012

hello,
this is some kind of Soundtrack vs IDM battle

NessoR - Demo Intro 2012
demo mixdown.

to Soundcloud embed code forum implementator!.
Old 19th January 2012
Here for the gear

Hi Guys,

This is one of mine, let me know what you think...

Old 19th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father View Post
@ claend or UNIVERSOS PARALELOS

I like what you guys are doing! Post-rock, yes, but you're keeping it real and not trying to disguise generic pop songs with the sound.
Thanks a lot!
Old 20th January 2012
Gear Nut

Newest Demo...Any feedback much appreciated!

Full Set at: Spaces by RE:ML on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 20th January 2012
Gear Addict

I appreciate the critique. I'm learning a lot from this album, I look forward to further developing my songwriting abilities.

Vocal dynamics is something I'm discovering more in my own voice with new material I'm working on that will possibly be on the next album.

Demarcation between sections, and more dynamics in vocals are some of the main things I've gotten feedback about.

You rock, thanks for your notes.

P.S. I need to make time later to listen through a whole bunch more clips on this thread I haven't yet heard! Looks promising!

Quote:
Hey man, I really love the beginning of this and the effects are really nice. I got bored about the third time you repeated the same vocal phrase again, however. I think I get what your going for, but there is so much music like this that I feel like I've heard it already. I do think it would be much better if you were willing to experiment more with the vocal dynamics later in the song. Maybe let it do its thing like it is now, then really do something intense with it. Then I may be wanting more, instead of less.
Old 20th January 2012
Here for the gear

Hey!

I just gave it another listen, and I feel bad that I said I would want less with its current structure because that sort of reads like I'm trying to be an asshole. I really like the track and that's why I'm commenting on it. For me, and of course it's completely subjective to my own taste, I would say it is the third verse where I'm starting to think it could use something different somehow. But if this is a print for your album, you should not worry and you should be very proud of this track.

Some of my earliest favorite bands were Joy Division, Jesus and Mary chain, Velvet Underground, Bauhaus, etc. and your sound appeals to me in the same sort of way the more darker and droney bands do. I do think that there are many bands, at least in the more "hipster" scene that have a very similar sound where I've lived (Seattle, Stockholm), but many of them kinda suck (which you don't) and many don't have the skills to self-produce their music with the finesse that you have. All in all, from this one track, I like your voice, and your sense of texture with the instruments. If this is you in the beginning of your songwriting career, then I'm excited to hear what you will do next!

Cheers,

Jimmy

Quote:
I appreciate the critique. I'm learning a lot from this album, I look forward to further developing my songwriting abilities.

Vocal dynamics is something I'm discovering more in my own voice with new material I'm working on that will possibly be on the next album.

Demarcation between sections, and more dynamics in vocals are some of the main things I've gotten feedback about.

You rock, thanks for your notes.

P.S. I need to make time later to listen through a whole bunch more clips on this thread I haven't yet heard! Looks promising!
Old 21st January 2012
Here for the gear

This is very rough, still tracking. I wrote the song and recorded it performing the instruments, i dont have lyrics or a singer yet so iam phonetically singing the vocal melody as ive already got the melody i want. Its a bit depressing, a night time song. Still havent added more instruments yet to make the song, so its rather bare, but the idea and mood is there. I have over 100 like this, i just cant write lyrics or sing, so if you like it and you live in brisbane australia, give us a bell!!

Old 22nd January 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Brother, you are totally right, I feel the sentiment and the same exact remark you've made was said by the the drummer (one of my greatest friends) after I recently sent him this song mixed.

Many of the other songs on the album really have a lot of contrast between sections. I know that the album as a whole will be well rounded, so I was willing for this song to kind of go it's own way.

But again thanks for the things you've mentioned, you are absolutely thinking the way you should be.

Cheers!
I thought this was a great song, and agreed with the demarkation comments. My only thought on your rationale is that many times the listener doesn't hear a song in an "album" context, they hear it a single. I'd strive to make each song strong on it's own.

But great work. Really cool vibe.
Old 22nd January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Brother, you are totally right, I feel the sentiment and the same exact remark you've made was said by the the drummer (one of my greatest friends) after I recently sent him this song mixed.

Many of the other songs on the album really have a lot of contrast between sections. I know that the album as a whole will be well rounded, so I was willing for this song to kind of go it's own way.

But again thanks for the things you've mentioned, you are absolutely thinking the way you should be.

Cheers!
Lemme see if I've got this right:

1) You believe, along with Arthur Stone (and myself fwiw) that your song lacks dynamics, which is code for "it's boring"
2) Your drummer also agrees with this
3) This is the final mix and the song is already mastered
4) You have many other songs on your album that have a lot more dynamics than this one - i.e. "less boring"
5) Despite all this, you're gonna release this track as a single in March

Ummmm, okaaay...?

Maybe you could explain the strategy behind releasing as a first single, a track which is not "the pick of the litter" so to speak.

I am genuinely interested...

Good luck. Mike
Old 24th January 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml692787 View Post
Newest Demo...Any feedback much appreciated!

Full Set at: Spaces by RE:ML on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
I like your song. It's amorphous, but still has a forward momentum.

I think it would be more aurally pleasing if it were to have a more even harmonic balance. What I'm talking about can be heard at 1:00, for instance. Could be 'fixed' (if you want to) with eq. But if I were you, I'd try a different arrangement. Maybe record the synthesizer (I think that droning sound is a synthesizer; correct me if I'm wrong) at one octave lower; I suspect that that would also result in less competition for the same frequencies as the vocals. Or, if you're using multiple oscillators, you could re-patch the synthesizer so one osc is an octave below.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I would do something to reduce the high frequencies (in the 16k range) and add some mid-low frequencies.
Old 24th January 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkheadedbug View Post
Huge props to the Gearslutz Gods for providing this forum!

This is a thread to post rough demos of songs, for critique NOT of production but of composition. So out-of-tune vocals or crappy recordings are totally fine -- this is about the song, not the performance.

Here's a song I just finished but am still noodling on. What I like about it so far is the chordal structure, the way the chorus kicks in, and the way it keeps on modulating. Not sure about the lyrics yet.

Are you Nick Lowe? I like the voice.
Old 25th January 2012
Greythunder

This is a little instrumental that I put together a little bit back. I was trying to go for something a bit different with this one. I imagined it would be a good song to listen to while driving on the highway towards work or school to get you going in the morning. This isn't the final version, but I'm thinking it could make a good opening track to my first album, which will have an acoustic soft-rock feel to it.

Oh... and then there's this, which is a song I am still developing, so it will probably not sound entirely like this. But this is something. I'm mostly worried that I might not be able to pull off the whole chest-to-head voice thing very well. Does anyone think I pulled that off with any amount of success in this?
Old 25th January 2012
Greythunder
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfefc View Post
This is very rough, still tracking. I wrote the song and recorded it performing the instruments, i dont have lyrics or a singer yet so iam phonetically singing the vocal melody as ive already got the melody i want. Its a bit depressing, a night time song. Still havent added more instruments yet to make the song, so its rather bare, but the idea and mood is there. I have over 100 like this, i just cant write lyrics or sing, so if you like it and you live in brisbane australia, give us a bell!!

I really liked this! I hope you can find a singer soon. This had a very good melancholy feel to it that is certainly good for nighttime. It reminded me a little bit of the Poets of the Fall's lighter music. You're talented when it comes to instrumentals.
Old 25th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careline View Post
Are you Nick Lowe? I like the voice.
Ha, no, but I am a HUGE fan of his work with Costello and Graham Parker. That kind of 70s powerpop / pubrock thing is totally what I'm aiming for!

Thanks!
Old 25th January 2012
Here for the gear

Hello there!

I'm reading this forum for a long time but this is my first post. This is my demo of ballad song and would like to hear your opinions about it. There is no bass guitar recorded and guitars are not recorder for "real" also. But this are "rough demos" so here it is.

Regards from Europe

Old 26th January 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careline View Post
I like your song. It's amorphous, but still has a forward momentum.

I think it would be more aurally pleasing if it were to have a more even harmonic balance. What I'm talking about can be heard at 1:00, for instance. Could be 'fixed' (if you want to) with eq. But if I were you, I'd try a different arrangement. Maybe record the synthesizer (I think that droning sound is a synthesizer; correct me if I'm wrong) at one octave lower; I suspect that that would also result in less competition for the same frequencies as the vocals. Or, if you're using multiple oscillators, you could re-patch the synthesizer so one osc is an octave below.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I would do something to reduce the high frequencies (in the 16k range) and add some mid-low frequencies.
Thanks for taking the time to listen I appreciate the feedback! I'm really terrible with mixing, but I really like the feedback you gave about the synth and creating more balance. I have to admit since this song came to life i've been more attached to the first acoustic demos i recorded than what came to be when transitioning into the electronic arena.
Old 27th January 2012
Here for the gear

This is my absolute fav track of mine. I have done everything and recorded it. Again iam phonetically singing the vocal melody. If you give it a chance, please listen till the chorus. Strings were EWQL.

and one more, this time upbeat. My mate plays the piano parts i wrote. But i forgot to un mute the bass track when bouncing so its missing. I like the chorus guitar and the outro were my mate dave lets loose on the piano.

Old 27th January 2012
Gear Addict

Very kind words, I thank you dearly.

It will be coming out as a single on an indepedent label sometime early April I believe.

Also, the feedback on this this single has allowed me to go back and touch up an idea or two on the rest of the album, so I want you to know that your critique truly is appreciated (to all of you cool nice people).

Sometimes it's just important to push on! After all, it's not one song that makes or breaks a career (at least not the type of career I'm developing). So I will be pushing what is possible with every song, and every album, over and over again and enjoy the journey along the path!

Again, thanks for your feedback. I should be posting more information and other songs soon. (The album is all tracked except for a guest female vocal or two.)

Quote:
Hey!

I just gave it another listen, and I feel bad that I said I would want less with its current structure because that sort of reads like I'm trying to be an asshole. I really like the track and that's why I'm commenting on it. For me, and of course it's completely subjective to my own taste, I would say it is the third verse where I'm starting to think it could use something different somehow. But if this is a print for your album, you should not worry and you should be very proud of this track.

Some of my earliest favorite bands were Joy Division, Jesus and Mary chain, Velvet Underground, Bauhaus, etc. and your sound appeals to me in the same sort of way the more darker and droney bands do. I do think that there are many bands, at least in the more "hipster" scene that have a very similar sound where I've lived (Seattle, Stockholm), but many of them kinda suck (which you don't) and many don't have the skills to self-produce their music with the finesse that you have. All in all, from this one track, I like your voice, and your sense of texture with the instruments. If this is you in the beginning of your songwriting career, then I'm excited to hear what you will do next!

Cheers,

Jimmy
Old 27th January 2012
Gear Addict

I recommend you leave these alone, and just keep doing songwriting demos.

It sounds like you are on your way to making some really mature great songs, but this might not be where it needs to be just yet 100% which is totally fine!

Keep working, I like how you definitely are into harmony and have some epic sounding moments! I wouldn't have normally listened to anything like this, but I was pleasantly surprised!

Keep writing,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greythunder View Post

This is a little instrumental that I put together a little bit back. I was trying to go for something a bit different with this one. I imagined it would be a good song to listen to while driving on the highway towards work or school to get you going in the morning. This isn't the final version, but I'm thinking it could make a good opening track to my first album, which will have an acoustic soft-rock feel to it.

Oh... and then there's this, which is a song I am still developing, so it will probably not sound entirely like this. But this is something. I'm mostly worried that I might not be able to pull off the whole chest-to-head voice thing very well. Does anyone think I pulled that off with any amount of success in this?
Old 27th January 2012
Gear Addict

Thanks. My obsession in the album as an art form. There are many songs I love which fit into an album and are better appreciated over time. The way the song sounds, is the way it wanted to sound. If it sounds the tiniest bit broken, I actually like that. It's time to move on, and just keep working on music! Everything has to have a budget, I would rather just finish and get on.

As a musician, I am sure you understand.

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate the thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_sparks View Post
I thought this was a great song, and agreed with the demarkation comments. My only thought on your rationale is that many times the listener doesn't hear a song in an "album" context, they hear it a single. I'd strive to make each song strong on it's own.

But great work. Really cool vibe.

I don't find the song boring. Infact I like it very much.

The drummer gave me his honest critique just as I always give him. We all need to be honest here, and open. We are all (all people) working on this collectively (even you are involved as you can see here!). I am just simply not going to regress and start adding some overdubs or whatever to it. I need to move forward for now. But hey, let's see what happens.

This is the final mix & master for the single (unless something changes of course), the songs will need to get mastered as an album obviously, and it's possible there will be a new mix printed with some 1% tweaks if necessary (maybe we learn something while mixing the rest of the album that we want to apply to this mix).

There are many different types of songs, they are all very stong songs which I am happy with. I don't care about picking a "single". And I figure since I will be pushing multiple singles regardless, that it doesn't really matter which I do in what order, as each single will have it's own campaign anyway.

I appreciate your honest remarks, and they definitely have given me some ideas which I will continue to think about after this reply, I'll keep you up to date on the record, cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah, right... View Post
Lemme see if I've got this right:

1) You believe, along with Arthur Stone (and myself fwiw) that your song lacks dynamics, which is code for "it's boring"
2) Your drummer also agrees with this
3) This is the final mix and the song is already mastered
4) You have many other songs on your album that have a lot more dynamics than this one - i.e. "less boring"
5) Despite all this, you're gonna release this track as a single in March

Ummmm, okaaay...?

Maybe you could explain the strategy behind releasing as a first single, a track which is not "the pick of the litter" so to speak.

I am genuinely interested...

Good luck. Mike
Old 28th January 2012
Gear Nut
I like this game...I'll Play

Here's a rough demo... used the lyrics as an excuse to get the melody out.
Attached Files

01 Drifting (1_2_12 Mix).mp3 (4.22 MB, 411 views)

Old 29th January 2012
Old 30th January 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Uhm, I'm not quite sure what to respond to this. I'm assuming this is for some sort of "comic relief" (read: torture).

Also, the vocal sound is tinny. The highs are pushed and weird, I found it distracting. . . but hey what do I know. . .

Cheers,
No, I agree with you the mix is off on the Lago track.

Everything gets kinda buried, like an 80's ballad, doesn't have energy or the 'in your face' you'd expect from the genre, so the mix becomes a distraction. The drums sound small too and are compressed too hard perhaps and buried, makes the song sound amateurish. The song is good tho, nice ideas, I like it! The guy who mixed this for you is a novice, maybe you need to get someone experienced to mix this properly?
Old 3rd February 2012
Gear Maniac

Lot of nice sounding stuff in here. Good work guys.

Here's a recent acoustic demo track of mine. It's not a good recording or anything, just a rough sketch of the song, which will receive the accompaniment of a full-band arrangement in its finished form.

What this song is, is an existential spiel basically. It's pretty unorthodox in its structure, as I tired of conventional songwriting formulas a while back and felt the need to experiment and explore. Having done that, I now have a whole new appreciation for pop song-writing. Gonna do more of that for the next project.

Anyway, give er a go, see what you think if you feel inclined.

http://soundcloud.com/senseless-poet...um-of-infinity
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear