Post your rough demos - Page 41 - Gearslutz.com
Post your rough demos
Old 23rd January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
That's weird, as it works if I click on it, but may be that's because it's in my account? Although, this is exactly what I did the other times I shared.

https://soundcloud.com/kanewilliams-...-8-jan/s-VtNAd
I like the changes you've made in the vocal in the chorus. Much more full. The verse vocal sits better too. Only negative I get is that the mix is a touch dark, but that is probably a preference thing.

After over a week of not being able to do any updates to my tracks, I finally was able to do some work late last night and added some strings and organ to the song. I think it fills the negative space well, but I'll leave that up to you guys. So are these changes an improvement?

Old 24th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demokid View Post
Old song from 1999 with vocals.

Regards
Demokid
Are you the one singing?
Old 24th January 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlcoholByVolume View Post
I like the changes you've made in the vocal in the chorus. Much more full. The verse vocal sits better too. Only negative I get is that the mix is a touch dark, but that is probably a preference thing.

After over a week of not being able to do any updates to my tracks, I finally was able to do some work late last night and added some strings and organ to the song. I think it fills the negative space well, but I'll leave that up to you guys. So are these changes an improvement?

Organ does fill spectral gaps nicely. (And the overall vibe is great.) You'd get more mileage out of it, in my opinion, if you panned it/them off fairly hard right. You've already made the good (I think) decision to have the acoustic sit hard left, so balancing it with the organ feels like a real no brainer: wider mix; keeps the middle free for the vocal (which loses some clarity when the organ comes in); better separation. Should be one of the easiest wins you'll ever get using nothing but a pan knob! (I've referred to the organ throughout; I can't remember what/how the string sat in with that. I had a sneaking suspicion that the organ might possibly have done the job perfectly well by itself - or, if you didn't already - at least by itself for the first chorus, and then bring the string in for later choruses.)
Old 24th January 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
I like the changes you've made...
Yeah, I brightened up the hats and snare a bit and the electric piano a bit but overall, may be it is a little dark sounding. I may have one more go at EQ. Cheers
Old 24th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss View Post
Are you the one singing?
Well trying anyway...
Old 24th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demokid View Post
Well trying anyway...

I do like your voice a lot; not so much your compositions.
Old 27th January 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Here is another tune that certainly qualifies as a "rough demo". Lots of performance issues here but id love some feedback on the song and some of the lyrics. Im not sure if I like some of them or not. Thanks in advance for the help!

I like the vibe a lot. Reminds me of the sound on GNR's Lies album. I did have trouble distinguishing the chorus from the verse, though. A different chord progression on the chorus could help. Also, lots of melodic phrases start on the same note (F, I think). Would help to change that up, especially on the chorus.

I also think you could nix a stanza or two and get the song down to 4-5 minutes, and it might be better for it.

I personally would like to hear the song a touch faster, with bass and drums. Maybe piano, organ, or electric guitar on the chorus. Or slide guitar if you want to go the country route (which I think would work well, considering the lyrics).

Just my 2c.
Old 27th January 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Here is the latest mix of the track Ive been posting. I have taken on board the suggestions. I have also EQ'd the Rhodes a little as it was tad dull.

During the busy chorus, I took out the piano, as it was not really audible but removing it may have created a bit less congestion? I have added another harmony to the chorus, but it's a temporary pitched shifted effort and I'll get Jo to record it. Is the chorus still to hectic?

Thanks

https://soundcloud.com/kanewilliams-...-8-jan/s-VtNAd
I like the track. Great old school funk feel to it. But to answer your question, the chorus is still way too hectic, at least to my ears.
Old 27th January 2016
Here for the gear

Here's what I'm working on. 3 classical guitar tracks, 1 electric guitar (rhythm), 1 piano, bass, drums, and vocals. Will re-record vocals and guitar solo when I have a spare minute. All comments/critique welcome.

Last edited by R_V_S; 28th January 2016 at 05:06 PM..
Old 1st February 2016
Here for the gear
Here's a song sort of styled after Panic! At The Disco, it's kind of minimal right now, but the synthesizer that isnt an organ is the scratch track for the melody. Tips on writing a better melody would be awesome!

--DMGCK
Old 2nd February 2016
Here for the gear

New song

Old 2nd February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstordy12 View Post
I am working on a new song all but finished, just needs mixing let me know what you guys think

included is a link. enjoy

https://soundcloud.com/jamesstordy/o...-demo-onlysong

I agree with the one comment. Great TV theme song.
Old 3rd February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss View Post
I do like your voice a lot; not so much your compositions.
I like both very much. Really a good song.
Old 3rd February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.r View Post
I like both very much. Really a good song.

I'm quite sure demokid will be delighted upon reading this.

Cheers,
~HW
Old 3rd February 2016
Lives for gear

my first ever Pop song, im pleased with it, I'll work on the production more and mix at the end of the month. Would like your thoughts.
Andreia - Call Me 01
Old 6th February 2016
Here for the gear

Old demo--thinking of revisiting

Hey guys, this is my first post here on Gearslutz (been reading threads for awhile now, though)! I found this demo from a couple years ago, and would love some opinions--should I go back and polish it up, or let it die? Here's the link:

https://soundcloud.com/doug-cook-439...ve-it-all-demo

Oh and please ignore the vocal affectation (it sounds like I was doing The Count from Sesame Street, haha).
Old 7th February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_V_S View Post
Here's what I'm working on. 3 classical guitar tracks, 1 electric guitar (rhythm), 1 piano, bass, drums, and vocals. Will re-record vocals and guitar solo when I have a spare minute. All comments/critique welcome.

Solid work here. I think that you could use a stronger hook to pull the listener in. At this point the the vocals kind of meander along without a clear delineation in the song segments. Lot of potential here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGCK View Post
Here's a song sort of styled after Panic! At The Disco, it's kind of minimal right now, but the synthesizer that isnt an organ is the scratch track for the melody. Tips on writing a better melody would be awesome!

--DMGCK
Love the groove you laid down. Very cool. I think that you are selling your melody short. It works very well with the guitars and groove. I've always believed that more complex instrument work lend itself to simpler vocal melodies, and thats what you have here. Keep working on this. I would LOVE to hear a more complete tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstordy12 View Post
I am working on a new song all but finished, just needs mixing let me know what you guys think

included is a link. enjoy

https://soundcloud.com/jamesstordy/o...-demo-onlysong
This is really nice. Sounds like something from a band like Deep Blue Something or something of that era. Very polished already. You got skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsmith View Post
my first ever Pop song, im pleased with it, I'll work on the production more and mix at the end of the month. Would like your thoughts.
Andreia - Call Me 01
For a first attempt, this is really good. It is a bit quiet but Im guessing that it hasnt been mastered yet. I think that the song could use some more dynamics. I kept wait for the song to build to something but it mostly stayed on the same plane. The singer has a good voice but could use a little more attitude and connection to what she is singing. I am often of guilty of this as well. We try hard to sing really well and forget the feeling that need to be there as well. Great composition! This is another one I'd like to hear again as you move farther along with the production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellcrowsfeet View Post
Hey guys, this is my first post here on Gearslutz (been reading threads for awhile now, though)! I found this demo from a couple years ago, and would love some opinions--should I go back and polish it up, or let it die? Here's the link:

https://soundcloud.com/doug-cook-439...ve-it-all-demo

Oh and please ignore the vocal affectation (it sounds like I was doing The Count from Sesame Street, haha).
You got an interesting voice, man! Kind of a David Byrne meets Rasta raggae kind of thing. Very cool.

A muse visited me last evening and laid it down thick for me. I really like this tune and hope you all do too. ANy comments and thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Old 7th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

For a first attempt, this is really good. It is a bit quiet but Im guessing that it hasnt been mastered yet. I think that the song could use some more dynamics. I kept wait for the song to build to something but it mostly stayed on the same plane. The singer has a good voice but could use a little more attitude and connection to what she is singing. I am often of guilty of this as well. We try hard to sing really well and forget the feeling that need to be there as well. Great composition! This is another one I'd like to hear again as you move farther along with the production.
Thanks, yes its not even mixed yet, i will add some more production also. the other night i got the singer to to some more takes and some over dubs, starting to come together, ill post when its done, cheers
Old 7th February 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:

You got an interesting voice, man! Kind of a David Byrne meets Rasta raggae kind of thing. Very cool.

A muse visited me last evening and laid it down thick for me. I really like this tune and hope you all do too. ANy comments and thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Thanks! As for Vodka Lemonade, I really enjoyed it! Very catchy; reminded me of the 90's (when the electric guitar came in, I thought of "Sick of Myself" by Matthew Sweet).
Old 8th February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellcrowsfeet View Post
Thanks! As for Vodka Lemonade, I really enjoyed it! Very catchy; reminded me of the 90's (when the electric guitar came in, I thought of "Sick of Myself" by Matthew Sweet).
Thanks! Its funny how many 90's comments I get on my music. I mean, Im a 90's kid so it totally makes sense, but it isnt something that I try to do. It apparently is just there, and that is very cool. I is what I is. Cheers!
Old 12th February 2016
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by StratMan2604 View Post
This isn't really a demo, more of an idea, with a sloppy bit of improving on top :P

Not really sure what to do with it but anyway thought u guys' reactions might be interesting...
those 2 chords in the intro remind me of the song: kiss me don't remember who did it.
Old 12th February 2016
Lives for gear

Old 12th February 2016
Gear Head
Old 12th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
yeah that one
I'm guessing the chords are major to major7

And that kiss me song is major-major7-dom7
Pretty much.
Old 12th February 2016
Still working on a new tune "Bring Back" using Cubase, Nebula MFC, Eventide Ultra, Les Paul and TLM 49 Vocal mic. Still trying to find a guitar lead and background vocals that work.

www.soundcloud.com/tkeefe/bring-back
Old 12th February 2016
Here for the gear

Old 12th February 2016
Here for the gear

Really digging the vibe of this song. Maybe it's just me but it has a very 80's feel to it...probably the guitar drenched in chorus haha. Nice vocals on this. Maybe just a touch more reverb on the lead vocal?
Old 15th February 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabeetles View Post
Posting our newest song. At this point, I am having to record all the instruments and mix myself. Woud love some feedback on our jam!
https://soundcloud.com/skyunderfoot/red-herring
Sounds good, i think the snare gets lost in the middle, but in quieter parts of the songs sits nicely.
Old 15th February 2016
Gear Head

Old 26th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

Mixed it a bit better, was fun !
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search