Post your rough demos
Old 3rd June 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veld View Post
Liked "Memories" quite a lot, but thought the arrangements were a bit too loud and intrusive for the melody. Something a bit more spaced out, airy, Celtic-y, perhaps, may sound better with it - not sure. But whatever you do, it'll sound very very very 60's.

Same for "How Can I Refuse You" - why does it have the garage band/pop-punk sound when it's a love song/ballad? It has a very pleasant melody that is not helped by the arrangement.

"Footsteps" works for me as it is. Like it a lot.
Thank you. I wanted to kind of go for the indie/rock/pop sound.
I will work on the arrangements, I started recording a few songs again last week as I have made a lot since 2007 but the multitracks just vanished through time, so I am in the process of re-recording tracks/re-writing midi so that I have all the parts in the hope that in the future if something comes up with another engineer they could help out with my songs without losing all my work.
Regards, Andrew.
Old 3rd June 2015
I just uploaded 14 various demos from some of my albums since 2007. You can check them out here: https://soundcloud.com/andrewbradysongwriter

I am hoping to re-record old songs and write more, and hopefully get in touch with someone who can help further my sound as I have never collaborated or been to a studio, I have no intentions of going to a studio yet but definitely want to learn stuff here, and maybe get a helping hand mixing wise.
Old 6th June 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbradyeire View Post
Hey these are quite good. I'm trying to think of what it reminds me of. That kinda lofi distorted jangle with the careening vocals.. I guess it's in the vein of a Guided By Voices or a Neutral Milk Hotel or something in that it just starts right into a jangly lofi melody. Yeah tidy work.
Old 6th June 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbradyeire View Post
I just uploaded 14 various demos from some of my albums since 2007. You can check them out here: https://soundcloud.com/andrewbradysongwriter

I am hoping to re-record old songs and write more, and hopefully get in touch with someone who can help further my sound as I have never collaborated or been to a studio, I have no intentions of going to a studio yet but definitely want to learn stuff here, and maybe get a helping hand mixing wise.
Don't listen to me but I like that they're not over produced. I mean half the people here would explode if they heard some of the stuff I listen to. I mean I think Robert Pollard is a genius but if he posted anything off Bee Thousand here he'd get told to re-record it! I'm not saying they don't need more work but there is an aesthetic there I wouldn't want you to polish out of it.
Old 6th June 2015
Here for the gear

I've only listened to footsteps and memories though.
Old 6th June 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhutos View Post
I've only listened to footsteps and memories though.
Thanks.
Old 8th June 2015
Gear interested

Hello guys ,I am new here, and it's been a great experience so far.I want to post my songs and I need critical and honest opinion, I am always eager to learn and improve. www.reverbnation.com/zinny4
Old 8th June 2015
Gear interested

I wrote and composed them tooTN
Old 17th June 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwinePearls View Post
It is a new era. And time has come, for a new Rocky theme. Rise to the challenge. Take home the glory. This track can take you there - and beyond.

...Didn't upload a beat yesterday, so I'm giving y'all a Bonus Beat tonight.

I like that 009a beat, maybe a bit more percussion or something else moving on some parts? and perhaps a subbass ?
Old 17th June 2015
Gear Head

I just saw this forum today. I'm happy to see that Davido is gone

Rough demos.

I'm just a drummer and I don't play guitar at all so all the instruments are virtual so the music takes on more of an electronic feel than I'd like but, it is what it is.

https://www.reverbnation.com/johnconnolly/songs
Old 22nd June 2015
Gear Head
my surf-rock song

missing a vocal and lead guitar
Attached Files
My surf-rock song.mp3 (3.34 MB, 406 views)
Old 22nd June 2015
Gear interested

Smile seen

Quote:
Cool. I like R&B and I like your style. The production is pretty tight and your voice is great. Could use some stronger hooks. And a more dynamic feel overall. I was thinking about that "Talking Body" song... the whole "li-e-i-f" hook. People love that stuff. Anything to keep songs from sounding too much like background muzak. I'm glad you posted your page. Was nice to listen to them all.
thank you for taking the time to listen to my work.yes i know i have to work on my dynamics and i am so happy you mentioned it.i am working on my next song and i know the "hook and dynamic" will be great. i am a female artist from Nigeria and i am just seeking to be different.i am also producing my next song and will love your input on it too.thank you
Old 4th July 2015
Gear interested

Clyde the Spider

Hey everyone, I've been away from recording for a while, but I'm excited to record some stuff I'm writing lately!

I'm going for some sort of Hoedown footstompin thing with this song... of some short.

I have to decide wether to do an instrumental for the first half of the bridge, or cut the bridge in half.

The lead guitar parts were just sort of rough tracks to flesh things out. I'm going to be redoing that. There is more work and details to add, but it would be cool to see what people think of where I'm going with this one.

Here are the lyrics:

There is a spider that lives in my window
Watch him trap and eat his prey
Do not crush him or evict him
That would be mean, do you know what I say?

Spidey needs to have a nick-name
From now on, he’s known as Clyde
We are friends, but when I get close
He runs into the corner in order to hide

Chorus:
Hey, little Spidey, you don’t have to worry about me
I ain't going to hurt you, I just want to live and let be
Talking to my spidey helps me to clear my head
Clyde takes time to consider all the things I’ve said

Verse:
Without a single day of training
Constructing works that are so fine
Clyde is a prodigious expert
Shaking up the industry of web design

He could be a college professor
People would listen when he speaks
He has an innate understanding
Of geometric shapes and construction techniques

Chorus:
Hey, little Spidey, you don’t have to worry about me
I ain’t going to hurt you, I just want to live and let be
Talking to my spidey helps me to clear my head
Clyde takes time to consider all the things I’ve said

Bridge:
Wake in the morning, brew a cup
Talk to Clyde so I can see what’s up
He don’t know, but he says he’s got a hunch
That it’s eating fruit flies off of my banana bunch

Attached Files
Clyde5.mp3 (4.81 MB, 295 views)
Old 4th July 2015
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by rol123 View Post
missing a vocal and lead guitar
Super tight recording, that sounds awesome!
Old 13th July 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Here's another track that the over 50 gearsluts crowd isn't going to like:
Why not? Are you saying people over 50 don't like retro 80's pop beats? Only thing missing is Paula Abdul's vocals.
Old 13th July 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Another day, another hit radio beat in waiting. Sorry if I'm making this look too easy.
Michael Jackson told me if he wasn't dead he'd option this track for his comeback album.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Here for the gear

Talking Pro Bono - rough demo for listen!

Hi everyone,

Hope you all are doing well. I've recently written three songs and would love to get your thoughts on which song I should professionally record. Comments on melody and lyrics are welcome as well.

You can listen here: https://soundcloud.com/the-fates/sets/pro-bono/s-zKIR8

Thanks in advance!

Elizabeth
Old 1 Week Ago
Lives for gear
Hello

Please take a listen to this track and give me your opinions. As well as comments about the actual song, I would also like to know what you think of the music. Do I need to get it remade by proper musicians? I can't play an instrument, but I have programmed all this myself. I'm pretty happy with the sound and it's the closest I have gotten yet to the track I had in my head when I started, however, I'm sure it can sound a lot better if produced/played by people with musical knowledge and skill, but is the production good enough to send this to publishers once mixed properly and the vocals done right? I am hoping it works as a duet btw, with my female partner.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and review.

Kane

https://soundcloud.com/kanewilliams-...-wrong/s-tV8bz

Last edited by Mr Funk; 1 Week Ago at 03:51 PM..
Old 1 Week Ago
Lives for gear
I just updated the link, so it works! Sorry if you tried to listen before and got a message saying it could not be found.
Old 1 Week Ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Hello

Please take a listen to this track and give me your opinions. As well as comments about the actual song, I would also like to know what you think of the music. Do I need to get it remade by proper musicians? I can't play an instrument, but I have programmed all this myself. I'm pretty happy with the sound and it's the closest I have gotten yet to the track I had in my head when I started, however, I'm sure it can sound a lot better if produced/played by people with musical knowledge and skill, but is the production good enough to send this to publishers once mixed properly and the vocals done right? I am hoping it works as a duet btw, with my female partner.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and review.

Kane

https://soundcloud.com/kanewilliams-...-wrong/s-tV8bz
1. I like the song quite a bit.
2. I think you need a really good demo producer for that first - the song with the present production sounds simplistic and very dated.. and the chorus is VERY underproduced and is nowhere near its potential as it is. As far as I know, slick, near-professional production for uptempto demos is pretty much non-optional nowadays.
3. Who is this song for? Are you just sending it out to a bunch of random publishers?
Old 1 Week Ago
Lives for gear
Thanks Veld.

Can I ask you to elaborate on the chorus and how it is not near it's full potential? Is the melody of the chorus ok? Any ideas welcome.

Also, with regards to it sounding dated. I was obviously going for a mid to late 70's sound. However, I appreciate it lacks authenticity in that regard as it is made with soft synths by a guy who can't play. Did you mean dated in a 70's sence or more in a 90's sense?

I have no idea who to approach with my music to be honest. The track Overdose is my only professional sounding production to date but I am hoping to have a few more to this level, including this track.

I appreciate your feedback.
Old 1 Week Ago
Gear Nut

The melody of the chorus is perfectly fine - but I definitely can visualize (auditorize?) some fireworks in the chorus that are currently missing and that an experienced demo producer could put in there. It's lacking in energy and drive at the moment, even though it seems that it would be easy to put it in. Horns, strings, richer beat, whatever. Nothing expensive, no studio musicians - something that can hopefully be done entirely with a DAW.

And yes, I meant dated as in very 70's sounding overall, which is not bad per se - Pharell Williams is doing pretty well ripping off 70's music, but his stuff doesn't sound dated - the production is slick and modern. So for me, it's simply about inadequate production for an uptempo number.
Old 1 Week Ago
Lives for gear
Thanks again Veld, that's great input. I agree the chorus needs more to elevate it. Horns is always a good idea.

It's funny, the stuff I like the most is the stuff that does sound dated. For instance, just discovered a guy called Donnie and both of his albums sound pretty authentically 70's in the Stevie/Donny Hathaway style. However, I also love Bernhoft and he sounds modern yet with the 70's vibe.

Vulfpeck are amazing and you would swear they were a band from the 70's. Well, may be you think differently? Do you consider Vulfpeck to sound dated or modern in terms of production.
Old 1 Week Ago
Lives for gear
If anyone wants to listen to more of my rough demo's you can go here. https://soundcloud.com/kanewilliams-...-stuff/s-gm5NJ

Overdose is not rough, it's complete, although a new mix will be done and compared to the current one to see which sounds best. My other demo's are old and finished in a sense that the multitracks are no longer available, so I would need to start from scratch to finish them, so I know they are not "publisher ready" and are right for this forum.

Be good to know which songs you guys prefer?

https://soundcloud.com/kanewilliams-...-stuff/s-gm5NJ
Old 1 Week Ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandenH View Post

I liked the song. Made me smile.
Old 1 Week Ago
Here for the gear

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vkmdkinxet...abala.wav?dl=0 I want to know if this sounds too much like Dr.Dre ? (ofc i'm not comparing myself to him) I don't want to sound like someone else and I really can't figure out if this is biting or not ? ***this is not mixed, just a rough demo obv :D
Old 1 Week Ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by psihobambi View Post
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vkmdkinxet...abala.wav?dl=0 I want to know if this sounds too much like Dr.Dre ? (ofc i'm not comparing myself to him) I don't want to sound like someone else and I really can't figure out if this is biting or not ? ***this is not mixed, just a rough demo obv :D
Can't listen right now as in a restaurant and flying in the early hours but just wanted to explain to those who don't know that biting means copying/stealing. Old school B-Boy phrase!

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search