A very old song
And it's singing itself
Goes on anon
Sing along
Along with the song
You'll be singing yourself
On and on.
Attached Files

A very old song.mp3 (7.05 MB, 600 views)

Old 19th November 2020
Here for the gear

Im trying to work on processing/mixing with some new tools/plug-ins and wanted some feedback from better trained ears.

This is just ad-libbed, single mic, making up the melody and words (and some guitar) as I go -- so please keep that in mind (you'll definitely notice), I'm trying to get a better sense of "this has too much compression" or "too much mud in the low end" etc.

As it stands, there's only 1 eq plug in and 2 light compressors, with one more on the master bus. I wasn't trying to do a guitar and vocal thing, I just need to play it while I'm trying to sing, especially if I'm winging it!

Old 19th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarub View Post
Im trying to work on processing/mixing with some new tools/plug-ins and wanted some feedback ... ... ad-libbed, single mic, making up the melody and words (and some guitar) as I go -- ... ... to get a better sense of "this has too much compression" or "too much mud in the low end" etc.

... ... there's only 1 eq plug in and 2 light compressors, with one more on the master bus. I wasn't trying to do a guitar and vocal thing, I just need to play it while I'm trying to sing, especially if I'm winging it!

Well, to frame my comment for you (I am new "here" too), - I'm not a "Recording" artist, only write to perform and record to remember and provide "some kind of" demo.

I listened via lap top speaker (will put on HPs later when at a PC) since they, for me, are a filter as well as to what may have been done to process the track. -- It sounds good via those little buggers I expect with HP's I will likely get what I call in my own "engineering" language, dimensional head-space for what folks in my non-pro crowd call a Headphone only mix (all we tend to seek since not doing mixes for "Drive tests", or for "stereos", -- again, not Recording Artists vs local performing who may make a CD available.

So, for me, the above would be very useful feedback and why I comment it. It may not be for you, and that's fine. As I said, I am new here and while would like to be "interactive" realise that may or may not be possible (I'm not "new", just new here hahhh!).

The fact that you specify to some degree "why" you posted this here I find very helpful versus just pasting in a link and waiting for what may come, again as new, skiddish of commenting on those.

If I may infer more from the post framing, what I decided long ago for me was to follow some old analog methods I remember and not use plug'ins if otherwise just features of basic mixing software to better understand what the plug'ins are doing, how and why. So, in my demo's I may compress, and EQ a guitar that is stepping on the Vocal Hz or even, (not to process the vocals)..., dup the vocal and high pass filter it to pull it forward.

As far as to much compression, it does not in this moment sound like it as explained above; however, (not going to in my language explain my understanding of compression "here"), if you can get a handle on what compression does, how and why, you won't need to ask, so to speak, just -- decide how much for what you want to do.

I as a "template" qick mix my "stuff" in all of 10 - 30 mins (pending dubs) and do other stuff for that "headspace" but, you ask about compression and mud here, -- I sounds fine, as opinion goes and all it is, is personal opinion. Later I will use HPs but only comment if drastically different from what I've come to expect to hear as I explained above.

* Question:
You comment one mic.

If one mic is capturing your vocal and guitar as this, -- good for you. What is your one mic setup, signal chain?

If it is one mic on Vocal and the Guitar is direct in, dry then processed, -- please advise. I am always looking to understand how others do a 1+1 "record while writing" process since, it's all I do, -- one-take, first-pass and record while writing and then chunk out and chop out "fishing for chords/words" and etc.

Me - I use audacity only (on purpose ) and 2 SM57 close mic'd with sometimes the guitar, other direct into the mixer, dry (nothing between the guitar and DAW other than the mixer as pre-amp with not effects.

I hope that has some meaning for you. If not, that's okay, go with what makes sense to you and I understand that I may not (you won't be the last ). -- How it goes with "on-line-guage"
Old 20th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Thanks for the reply. Im mostly working on getting the vocals to sound natural, the guitar was just a backdrop, I would normally mic the guitar as well and process it additionally, but I did not in this case, just positioned the mic to capture both. but focused on the vocal.

Ive had plenty of outboard gear, but feel plugins can be so much more versatile and forgiving, but in opinion they do not behave like outboard gear and require some hands-on learning unique to the software -- which is what I was attempting here.

As far as the set up, its just a u47 clone into a tube pre going into my interface. Then in logic I add processing: a HP filter to cut out the unwanted lows, a compressor (sometimes a vocal rider before hand), and eq, and a another compressor. Similar set up for the guitar track (when using a second mic setup). Both tracks are sent to a reverb bus, a delay bus, maybe some distortion, then a final master bus that has an eq on it and one more compressor (no final eq in this take though).

Im looking at adding the izotope package though during the BF sales.

This take is just a process for finding melodies, I wouldn't use this in the end. Id do this maybe a couple more times and find a melody I liked, then maybe change the range, this isn't alway the range I actually sing in, then go about lyrics and joining it all, then recording/listening and maybe adjust the. song from there -- like add a bridge or a break or whatever if it feels repetitive. And do a final recording of scratch guitar and vocals, final guitar, then a final vocal and comp the various takes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonehear View Post
Well, to frame my comment for you (I am new "here" too), - I'm not a "Recording" artist, only write to perform and record to remember and provide "some kind of" demo.

I listened via lap top speaker (will put on HPs later when at a PC) since they, for me, are a filter as well as to what may have been done to process the track. -- It sounds good via those little buggers I expect with HP's I will likely get what I call in my own "engineering" language, dimensional head-space for what folks in my non-pro crowd call a Headphone only mix (all we tend to seek since not doing mixes for "Drive tests", or for "stereos", -- again, not Recording Artists vs local performing who may make a CD available.

So, for me, the above would be very useful feedback and why I comment it. It may not be for you, and that's fine. As I said, I am new here and while would like to be "interactive" realise that may or may not be possible (I'm not "new", just new here hahhh!).

The fact that you specify to some degree "why" you posted this here I find very helpful versus just pasting in a link and waiting for what may come, again as new, skiddish of commenting on those.

If I may infer more from the post framing, what I decided long ago for me was to follow some old analog methods I remember and not use plug'ins if otherwise just features of basic mixing software to better understand what the plug'ins are doing, how and why. So, in my demo's I may compress, and EQ a guitar that is stepping on the Vocal Hz or even, (not to process the vocals)..., dup the vocal and high pass filter it to pull it forward.

As far as to much compression, it does not in this moment sound like it as explained above; however, (not going to in my language explain my understanding of compression "here"), if you can get a handle on what compression does, how and why, you won't need to ask, so to speak, just -- decide how much for what you want to do.

I as a "template" qick mix my "stuff" in all of 10 - 30 mins (pending dubs) and do other stuff for that "headspace" but, you ask about compression and mud here, -- I sounds fine, as opinion goes and all it is, is personal opinion. Later I will use HPs but only comment if drastically different from what I've come to expect to hear as I explained above.

* Question:
You comment one mic.

If one mic is capturing your vocal and guitar as this, -- good for you. What is your one mic setup, signal chain?

If it is one mic on Vocal and the Guitar is direct in, dry then processed, -- please advise. I am always looking to understand how others do a 1+1 "record while writing" process since, it's all I do, -- one-take, first-pass and record while writing and then chunk out and chop out "fishing for chords/words" and etc.

Me - I use audacity only (on purpose ) and 2 SM57 close mic'd with sometimes the guitar, other direct into the mixer, dry (nothing between the guitar and DAW other than the mixer as pre-amp with not effects.

I hope that has some meaning for you. If not, that's okay, go with what makes sense to you and I understand that I may not (you won't be the last ). -- How it goes with "on-line-guage"
Old 20th November 2020
Lives for gear

Another track from the ‘Gospel According To...’ album.
It needs more work on the mix and the bass part and vocals are rough so some off notes in those.
Not sure if it is working as a song, I wanted it to be very direct story telling without much going on between the lines, but it’s possibly just a bit dull, I don’t know.
Old 21st November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post

It needs more work on the mix and the bass part and vocals are rough so some off notes in those.
Not sure if it is working as a song, I wanted it to be very direct story telling without much going on between the lines, but it’s possibly just a bit dull, I don’t know.
Being new here I'm going backwards through this thread a month or two.

I like your songs, they flow really nicely but IMO the drums sounds are out of kilter with the rest. Perhaps a more realistic, less processed drum sound would blend in better?
Old 21st November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed999 View Post
Being new here I'm going backwards through this thread a month or two.

I like your songs, they flow really nicely but IMO the drums sounds are out of kilter with the rest. Perhaps a more realistic, less processed drum sound would blend in better?
Thanks for listening.
Glad you liked the songs.
I do tend to compress and eq my drums, perhaps a bit too much. Is that what you mean?
Old 22nd November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thanks for listening.
Glad you liked the songs.
I do tend to compress and eq my drums, perhaps a bit too much. Is that what you mean?
Yes exactly that. They sound great as a drum kit. Separately the other tracks gel together also.

But hey, this is the song writing forum and my overriding comment was that I like your songs and arrangements.

Me, I just mess, never finish anything before I tire of it, record things before I've thought them through and end up with 1 minute of stuff carved out of the best bits repeated 3 times. I suppose I enjoy messing with the sound more than making it so I admire anyone who finishes stuff. I'm 60 so I'm fairly sure I never will but I don't care. These days I just try and capture things that sometimes come out of nowhere. I will mix down one of my circular ditties and post it up to be fair. It'll probably have over sized over processed drums but hopefully I'll have over processed everything else too. r

Edit - ok here goes - a simple drum loop, two DI guitar tracks, hippy processing. Typical - no warming up so clumsy but I can't play it again, it looses whatever it might have. It's called Wonderful because in my sad imagination I hear the guitar singing that and "beautiful" ... maybe.

Double edit, got it as far as soundcloud but failing to post it here, I'll keep trying. Best I can do is a link.
https://soundcloud.com/user-87512468.../s-IkNMSiMWfeq
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Me, I just mess, never finish anything before I tire of it, record things before I've thought them through and end up with 1 minute of stuff carved out of the best bits repeated 3 times. I suppose I enjoy messing with the sound more than making it so I admire anyone who finishes stuff. I'm 60 so I'm fairly sure I never will but I don't care. These days I just try and capture things that sometimes come out of nowhere. I will mix down one of my circular ditties and post it up to be fair. It'll probably have over sized over processed drums but hopefully I'll have over processed everything else too. r

Edit - ok here goes - a simple drum loop, two DI guitar tracks, hippy processing. Typical - no warming up so clumsy but I can't play it again, it looses whatever it might have. It's called Wonderful because in my sad imagination I hear the guitar singing that and "beautiful" ... maybe.

Double edit, got it as far as soundcloud but failing to post it here, I'll keep trying. Best I can do is a link.
Hey, I really like the vibe here. Sorta Hendrix without overt imitation. Strat? Recorded direct? I like the guitar sound. I like the modal environment. Finish this! Collaborate if you have to.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopypants View Post
Hey, I really like the vibe here. Sorta Hendrix without overt imitation. Strat? Recorded direct? I like the guitar sound. I like the modal environment. Finish this! Collaborate if you have to.
Kind words - thanks for listening. Yes a Strat DI into a laptop. One doingy track copied, down an octive and bass boosted for some bottom end then one "lead" guitar. That's all there is. I was indeed thinking a bit Hendrix, you know the one. Realistically I very much doubt it'll ever get any further, I wouldn't know how to approach that. Meanwhile on with some heavy heavy blues about wasting time making these pieces. Next week Reggae, then some pop metal. It's all good fun.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes exactly that. They sound great as a drum kit. Separately the other tracks gel together also.

But hey, this is the song writing forum and my overriding comment was that I like your songs and arrangements.

Thanks again.
This is just a rough demo of the song done on an iPad, as are all the songs for this album, so plenty of scope for changes down the line, and I will be re-recording and refining everything when I come to putting it together in the studio so your feedback will be borne in mind.

I really enjoyed your track, great vibe and your playing is very good indeed. I didn’t feel it was really missing anything and it kept me listening till the end.
I would have added a louder snare on the 2 and 4 about two thirds in just to ramp it up a notch but that’s just my way of doing things, it certainly works fine as it is.
👍
Here for the gear

Quote:

I just realised that was the track, -- clicked the ID URL at the bottom and didn't get just one song, -- chalk it up to new here and the layout is so nicely compressed.

So, anyway:
Great lyric.

For me, it's workable and would be great to develop, so to speak however you might consider that. I didn't think it was dull, but "orchestration" like "mix" and etc. is all very opinion and personal preference. (I have mine on orchestration and "how-to" like everyone else hahhh.)

So, it can stand on it's own as I hear it in my head - I easily filter out (or in), all the production stuff in real time as I listen, and just hear it as 1+1 - to explain the "stand on it's own" comment
Here for the gear

Quote:

I don't meet or see, or however to put it - many who just hit record and start to write, etc. It's great to observe in others, - it's the only (+-) way I work at this point; and, since, only trying to capture to remember a song, lyric an/or music (not a "recording artist" so to speak).

Since it was commented, me, -- I kinda didn't get a JH hit, got more of an Allman Brothers.

Having said that, -- I hate to compare since no one has the corner on any scale, mode or riff and to say "Allman Brothers", what does that mean? Hahhh... so, for what that comparison may be worth.

So, maybe better said, it has a great prog rock feel with a recognisable repeat, hook, pattern that you could chunk out if identified and liked it; and then frame a chordal groove around it, "rhythmic melody" aligned with the melodic one.

For me, -- with that (as I just commented method), and starting out on the same starter Notes, so to speak, -- gets me to repeat something, song, solo, noodling. (Did Hendrix ever "repeat" the Star Spangle Banner exactly twice? (Hahhh, I really do not know, he may have. But too, as Keith Richards say's - never played a song the same way twice, -- and I like that, allot.) )
Old 24th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just realised that was the track, -- clicked the ID URL at the bottom and didn't get just one song, -- chalk it up to new here and the layout is so nicely compressed.

So, anyway:
Great lyric.

For me, it's workable and would be great to develop, so to speak however you might consider that. I didn't think it was dull, but "orchestration" like "mix" and etc. is all very opinion and personal preference. (I have mine on orchestration and "how-to" like everyone else hahhh.)

So, it can stand on it's own as I hear it in my head - I easily filter out (or in), all the production stuff in real time as I listen, and just hear it as 1+1 - to explain the "stand on it's own" comment
Thanks, really glad you liked it.
When I do a demo of a new song I tend to go overboard with arrangement and orchestration and then see what sticks after repeated listening. It has taken years in some cases for me to arrive at a final arrangement and mix.
I have made a concerted effort recently to really simplify my work and the next album will be much sparser in terms of arrangement.
Old 24th November 2020
Gear Nut

I hope it's ok to upload a wav file, I kept re-mixing after listening to my mp3 files then realised what it was.

It's an ode to wasting time wasted kinda thing.

I'm Mr. Cheapo. All the guitars are my one nice thing, a Strat, D.I. direct into a presonus audiobox iTwo and studio one artist that was bundled with it. The bass is also the Strat tuned down an octave in S1, split into two, loads of compressors, sub bass, a phaser. Drums are Drumic'a. All the effects and vst instruments either came with S1 or legit freebies apart from one that I bought recently (TEOTE).My studio is in the bows of a boat along with a water tank and my bed. When I say studio, I mean shelf. Performed and mixed in bed in a pair of headphones. Funny old world!

I hope you like it.

https://soundcloud.com/user-87512468.../s-n2Fv6qARPEa
Here for the gear

Quote:
I hope it's ok to upload a wav file, I kept re-mixing after listening to my mp3 files then realised what it was.

I'm Mr. Cheapo. All the guitars are my one nice thing, a Strat, D.I. direct into a presonus audiobox iTwo and studio one artist that was bundled with it. The bass is also the Strat tuned down an octave in S1, split into two, loads of compressors, sub bass, a phaser. Drums are Drumic'a. All the effects and vst instruments either came with S1 or legit freebies apart from one that I bought recently (TEOTE).My studio is in the bows of a boat along with a water tank and my bed. When I say studio, I mean shelf. Performed and mixed in bed in a pair of headphones. Funny old world!

I hope you like it.

Great sound, really like it.

Doing the backup vocals works as you did. I guess that's all the software stuff you comment (I would not know since only use audacity w/o other, - that vocal processing sounds authentic, and would consider a plugin like that if exists for audacity..., otherwise I do it the old fashion way, manually which is allot of work for a "demo").

Anyway, - can't comment on the lyrics, so post if want that; otherwise loved the orchestration and overall tone, sound as a whole.

Nicely original as I hear it.
Old 24th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Finishing up new CD
Attached Files

TAKE ME BACK.mp3 (9.10 MB, 366 views)

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

I hope you like it.

That riff is demented! I like demented! There might be some non chord tones happening there. Might sound better without the organ when the riff happens. I like the vibe of your stuff. I hear a touch more Hendrix after the second iteration of the riff too. Not in a bad way, though.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopypants View Post
That riff is demented! I like demented! There might be some non chord tones happening there. Might sound better without the organ when the riff happens. I like the vibe of your stuff. I hear a touch more Hendrix after the second iteration of the riff too. Not in a bad way, though.
Haha demented yes I'll take that thanks. I thought anguished and frustrated. Good point on the organ - I had it better at one point, louder but without interfering like it does now, I think I knocked a heap of low end off it then had to turn it up to hear it and now it clashes.

Quote:
Great sound, really like it.

Doing the backup vocals works as you did. I guess that's all the software stuff you comment (I would not know since only use audacity w/o other, - that vocal processing sounds authentic, and would consider a plugin like that if exists for audacity..., otherwise I do it the old fashion way, manually which is allot of work for a "demo").

Anyway, - can't comment on the lyrics, so post if want that; otherwise loved the orchestration and overall tone, sound as a whole.

Nicely original as I hear it.
Thank you.
The oohs and aaahs are a built in multi-instrument one of everything general midi style. Most of it is a bit rubbish. I can't sing for toffee sadly and that's the only time you'll hear me try!
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Like the rhythm
Old 28th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Here is a song I made as a sort of love story to my studio and to the city of San Diego. I didn't really have an idea of what I was going to make it about honestly. I was just having fun and this came together. This is a reflection of the vibes that define me most of the time haha. Hope you all enjoy!

Produced, Mixed, and Mastered by Me

Old 30th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Rough mix of a song i've been working on:

Warning, sexual innuendo, profanity and direct sexual references ahead:
Old 30th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Just made some major changes to the mix.

I'll leave the above on youtube for posterity, now i have added better octave harmonies, growls and screams to the final verse and chorus, affected some levels too.

Old 2nd December 2020
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
My 12 year old niece asked me to write her a song to sing, so here is my demo. Looking forward to hearing and recording her singing it.

I still need to work on the intro and the risers etc and give a better nix. I think it's a fun song though.

https://soundcloud.com/kanewilliams-.../s-geHUOjbFJkr

No escape, he's controlling my mind.
He'll be in my dreams tonight.
He'll take my hand
and lead me to a place that's made of light.
Then I'll wake and find out.
It's not real and I want to cry.
I need a place I can hide out.
Maybe I can call the cops and they'll lock me up?

Chorus
I got my first crush
It's making me blush
wanna run and hide
My heart won't hush
and the rhythm is spinning me round.
Got my first crush
I feel this rush
like I wanna fly
I think it's too much
I'm scared of falling back to the ground.

Just another day, with my head in a spin.
Trying to get lost in the crowd.
Can't let him in,
but I know he could tear my defences down.
There's some kind of magic at work here.
Some kind of force I can't explain.
His words can take me right under.
Maybe he can read my mind and find out...

Chorus
I got my first crush
It's making me blush
wanna run and hide
My heart won't hush
and the rhythm is spinning me round.
Got my first crush
I feel this rush
like I wanna fly
I think it's too much
I'm scared of falling back to the ground.

Everything's just so perfect
When we hang out in my head.
Hand in hand we go flying.
He don't know how good we'd be, got to make him see.

Chorus

Last edited by Mr Funk; 3rd December 2020 at 09:11 AM..
Old 2nd December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
My 12 year old niece asked me to write her a song to sing, so here is my demo. Looking forward to hearing and recording her singing it.

I still need to work on the intro and the risers etc and give a better nix. I think it's a fun song though.

I like it. Hard to picture a 12 year old singing it but I'm sure she'll do a great job if she's your niece. Looking forward to hearing the finished version.
Old 2nd December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
I like it. Hard to picture a 12 year old singing it but I'm sure she'll do a great job if she's your niece. Looking forward to hearing the finished version.
Thanks Wag. The lyrics will make more sense when sung by her!
Old 3rd December 2020
Gear Guru

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Here is maybe a song for the times. Might have been posted a few years back. New mix in progress.
Attached Files

I Don't No Y.mp3 (7.38 MB, 140 views)

Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Here is maybe a song for the times. Might have been posted a few years back. New mix in progress.
Always look forward to hearing stuff from you. Sounds good. Reminds me so much of Bob Dylan. Very well done. If you did post this I don't remember it.
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post

It's a fun song, - the lyrics are not there to read, so can't react on that; well, to more than the hit I get off the hook.

Since it's a rough draft thread, - can't say much on the mix, sound and orchestration since I think she may have a different take on it unless has your delivery style?

Otherwise again, fun song, first love, -- I'll look forward to hearing her development of it with you.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear