The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your rough demos
Old 29th October 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Thanks Z

I wasn't sure the very latest version was up on Soundcloud, so I just updated it, but it's possible it was the same one.

Can I clarify your points a bit?

The bass. Do you mean the synth bass that is at the start and in the chorus (accompanied by bass guitar) that is too big and familiar or do you mean the bass guitar that is not accompanied by the synth bass during the choruses? I like the synth bass and am happy for it to be a bit familiar, but the bass guitar sound (Waves Bass fingers) is not great for this track imo.

The snare I like in general, but I agree it lacks something. I may blend another snare of similar sound with it, with some fx on it to make it more interesting. Do you think the snare is too big, because I was thinking it would be even bigger if I added something.

The percussive sound, I'm assuming you mean the marimba in the start and chorus? There is also some light percussion there too including a wood block. I think this marimba is quite an integral hook, but I am perfectly happy to find a better sounding one or try a thumb piano sound in it's place.

Are you suggesting replacing the "electro" synth bass or the bass guitar with an acoustic (upright bass)? I don't think I will lose the synth bass, as I also really like that part. I think you are kind of right about it stealing a bit of the show, as does the marimba, but that was sort of intentional. I do like the idea of a better bass for the bass guitar sound and an upright could be good.

I have not actually mixed this track much yet btw.
It’s the synth bass which is putting me off, I am not into the sound particularly but it’s more that it is very dominating and jarring and makes it harder to focus on the song, but if you are really into the sound then it doesn’t matter what I think, go with your own instincts.
Old 30th October 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatfield View Post
I know this is the rough drafts thread but you gave some good advise on my draft a couple months ago, quoted below. You recommended finding a female vocalist and changing the structure. I ended up writing a new chorus and moving things around. Also started working with a guitar player. Maybe if there's a season 4 of Twin Peaks he can use this at the end credits. I'm posting the youtube link here to the finished product. Thanks again! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLrnTmNTKLM
This sounds really good, man. Very clean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg09 View Post
Here's a new pop style song that I made a few days ago. Mixed and Mastered by me!

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CFDznUbD2K_/
This one is really well engineered as well. I think the song itself can use a bit more dynamic variance, but the structure is solid and the point of the song come across. Nice work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by popp View Post
hi guys, i made some soul
I usually dont care for instrumental music, but this one was nice. As others have said, I dont know if this is really soul, but that doesnt really matter. Part of the melody were strongly reminiscent of "My Heart Will Go On by Celine Dion
Quote:
Hi all. Hope you have been keeping well. Not posted anything for ages, so here is my latest track. I've abandoned the idea of finishing my album anytime soon, so going to put out an EP of songs around the same sort of subject matter of distrust in the powers that be, the lack of knowing what is truth or lies and the bleak future that seems on the horizon.

Not the happiest of subjects I know. Anyway, these are scratch vocals and there has been no proper mix yet, so I will get a bit more movement and use more panning etc and EQ a few sounds etc. Any tips welcomed.

https://soundcloud.com/kanewilliams-.../s-HSHVv9yDPqL
Yo Kane! Great to hear from you and thanks for the feedback on my tune! Much appreciated!

I really like what you did here and I always get a bit of that Jamiroqai vibe from you and I love that. I especially like the xylophone sound you used. Very unique and it stands out nicely! The only thing I think it may need is some sort of instrumental break to add a location marker in the song. Its not important overall, but just something I would prefer to hear. Rock solid as usual!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffguitar View Post
Did a song about my grandbaby. Like others have said, when a guy writes a song about his child or grandchild they can be a little embarrassed and kinda feel like other guys will think they are kind of goofy. My little sweetie is two and a half years old, just learning to talk and it is just so cute to hear her. Anyway, did this one by myself here in my bedroom studio, if you could call it that, lol. Hope she hears this someday after I am long gone and knows how much I loved her. Thanks for listening

https://soundcloud.com/user-28180901...eautiful-world
Beautiful song, man! The emotion of your subject matter comes through clearly

Quote:
Originally Posted by edu_lettuce View Post
Hi all,

So, I've been playing guitar for years now, but have never sat down to put in the time to actually write my own stuff. I figured now's as good a time as any to start. I'm also using this as an excuse to learn my way around Logic Pro X...as a result, I'm focused on two separate things and most likely not doing as good a job with either as I could be.

Anyhow, I'd appreciate any constructive feedback on what I've got going on here. At this point, there is no melody (or lyrics)...just a basic chord progression for the verses, choruses and an attempt at a bridge. Also will eventually need an intro/outro. All thoughts/suggestions welcome...hoping to tap into the collective wisdom here and come away with something concrete to focus on.

Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/user-575302299/project-26
Very nice progressions and structure here. I REALLY want to hear a melody on top of it though, even if its just a simple lead guitar line. I want to hear what you have in mind to move this further along
So, I heard the song Blinding Light by The Weeknd last week and it just screamed at me to be made into a rock song. The original idea was for it to be something that my band would play, but I couldnt quite explain with words the vision I had for the song so I started recording it to help them see what I was hearing.

Anyway, it came together so well that I just decided to keep going and finish it for myself. I really like where its at right now but feedback from you all would be extra helpful. I really think this might just be the best thing I have ever sung anything, ever.

The things I will be fixing is the pitchy vocal on first "ooh" in each chorus, a few inconsistencies in the bass performance, and adding a harmony on the "ooh" parts.

Things Im wondering: Are the guitars a touch too loud? Are the vocals a touch too quiet? Are the low vocals a result of too much guitar loudness?

Feel free to add any other thoughts you may have as well. Thanks everyone!

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/Wbcf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlcoholByVolume View Post
So, I heard the song Blinding Light by The Weeknd last week and it just screamed at me to be made into a rock song. The original idea was for it to be something that my band would play, but I couldnt quite explain with words the vision I had for the song so I started recording it to help them see what I was hearing.

Anyway, it came together so well that I just decided to keep going and finish it for myself. I really like where its at right now but feedback from you all would be extra helpful. I really think this might just be the best thing I have ever sung anything, ever.

The things I will be fixing is the pitchy vocal on first "ooh" in each chorus, a few inconsistencies in the bass performance, and adding a harmony on the "ooh" parts.

Things Im wondering: Are the guitars a touch too loud? Are the vocals a touch too quiet? Are the low vocals a result of too much guitar loudness?

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/Wbcf

Love this...it's a million times better than the original, not least because, unlike Abel, you don't need propping up by autotune....great cover, nice and gutsy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
Love this...it's a million times better than the original, not least because, unlike Abel, you don't need propping up by autotune....great cover, nice and gutsy.
Thank you! I definitely wanted to improve upon the auto-tuniness and give a great base tune some much needed balls lol
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yo Kane! Great to hear from you and thanks for the feedback on my tune! Much appreciated!

I really like what you did here and I always get a bit of that Jamiroqai vibe from you and I love that. I especially like the xylophone sound you used. Very unique and it stands out nicely! The only thing I think it may need is some sort of instrumental break to add a location marker in the song. Its not important overall, but just something I would prefer to hear. Rock solid as usual!

Beautiful song, man! The emotion of your subject matter comes through clearly

Very nice progressions and structure here. I REALLY want to hear a melody on top of it though, even if its just a simple lead guitar line. I want to hear what you have in mind to move this further along
Thanks a lot. I updated the track a little by adding another layer to the snare and also another hang drum layer to the marimba. I noticed that there was a glitch on the version that was up there where the synth piano chords release was being cut short. It happens sometimes for some reason.

I'm glad you liked the marimba, as to me it was quite a memorable part of the track.
Gear Addict
Quote:
Hi all. Hope you have been keeping well. Not posted anything for ages, so here is my latest track. I've abandoned the idea of finishing my album anytime soon, so going to put out an EP of songs around the same sort of subject matter of distrust in the powers that be, the lack of knowing what is truth or lies and the bleak future that seems on the horizon.

Not the happiest of subjects I know. Anyway, these are scratch vocals and there has been no proper mix yet, so I will get a bit more movement and use more panning etc and EQ a few sounds etc. Any tips welcomed.

https://soundcloud.com/kanewilliams-.../s-HSHVv9yDPqL
I really liked the 'bridge from 1:58 till 2:20, it seemed less contrived (don't take offense I mostly dig jazz and classical so that's from a low baseline). That part of the song has wings, and it's simple but so well in sync, and that little slow up near the end before you do the chorus, sexy and a perfect fit.

The rest of the song was great too, but I'm used to you, so that part that was different, less depending on artificial beats than thon that lovely joining of voices, and rhythm.

Standard Disclaimer, I know nothing and have not created single perfect thing even by my standards, let alone the standards of the tomato wielding masses!
Gear Addict
[QUOTE ...

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/Wbcf[/QUOTE]

Nice Rock song, sort of bit punk, you've got a good voice.
The only thing I really misses was some dynamics.
I'm just learning about that now, but if you mix it like it would sound at a rock show, you are missing out on some nuance in the studio. But I'm too much of a boob to help you.
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by edu_lettuce View Post
Hi all,

So, I've been playing guitar for years now, but have never sat down to put in the time to actually write my own stuff. I figured now's as good a time as any to start. I'm also using this as an excuse to learn my way around Logic Pro X...as a result, I'm focused on two separate things and most likely not doing as good a job with either as I could be.

Anyhow, I'd appreciate any constructive feedback on what I've got going on here. At this point, there is no melody (or lyrics)...just a basic chord progression for the verses, choruses and an attempt at a bridge. Also will eventually need an intro/outro. All thoughts/suggestions welcome...hoping to tap into the collective wisdom here and come away with something concrete to focus on.

Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/user-575302299/project-26
I liked it, but I kept waiting for the words.
Then I though what could this song be about.
And what I got was 'onion juice' good for a marinade or a dressing.
I'm sure that helps, lol!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My wife wrote this song so, being a narcissist, I decided to demo it myself.
Attached Files

An Open Door MP3 Paul Only.mp3 (8.46 MB, 501 views)

Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolavine View Post
I liked it, but I kept waiting for the words.
Then I though what could this song be about.
And what I got was 'onion juice' good for a marinade or a dressing.
I'm sure that helps, lol!
Ah, yes...words. I keep finding something else to do to avoid having to sit down and put pen to paper. "Onion Juice" is a good a prompt as anything
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thanks! Yup, I'm sitting down as we speak to start messing around with some melody ideas (will most likely play them on guitar for now in the absence of any lyrics or singing ability). Struggling a bit coming up with a melody that isn't so "happy"...this is a major chord progression so I understand I'm not going to come up with anything melancholy (that's not what I'm going for anyway), but definitely don't want anything too sugary either.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

hi guys, i made a pop ballad
Attached Files

ballad.mp3 (6.07 MB, 371 views)

Lives for gear

Quote:
Very nice. Reminds me of some early Yanni stuff stripped down. Would love to hear a full blown arrangement on this.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Very nice. Reminds me of some early Yanni stuff stripped down. Would love to hear a full blown arrangement on this.
Thanks! That's a good idea. I will try it.
Here for the gear

Hello popp, since new here just now I will try the quick reply feature and see how it posts versus the quote and hope it collates to that track.

- I like the descending 3 Notes, in the repeating call and response foundation riff, -- how I'll refer to it, and I'll hope that's clear.

- The length fits

- The orchestration as framed in this as "rough demo" works for me

I realize that this is all just opinion; nonetheless there's an obvious to me structure one hears, since is the framing of the track.

[So now I see "Options" below to quote the message? and if I do not? hmmm, decisions, -- I"ll not quote and see if somehow linked; and, I don't know what link sharer is so will leave that alone. If I am able to edit and need to, then I will. So, here goes... ]

Okay, lesson learned, that comment is in reference to demo post:

For @ popp above:
"...
Attached Files
ballad.mp3 (6.07 MB, 64 views)

00:0002:39
..."

Last edited by noonehear; 3 weeks ago at 05:34 PM.. Reason: First comment, and unsure of if to quote.
Here for the gear

Quote:
My wife wrote this song so, being a narcissist, I decided to demo it myself.
- The, what I'll call darker, chord modulations and structure that I can hear.

If you have a link to the lyrics, I'll always at least skim those (not hardcore analyze, so to speak, and not in a rough-demo); however from the gist of what I hear of the lyrics, it all works together, for me.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apan View Post
Not a demo per se, but I wrote three short pieces featuring the Moog 15 iPad app as lead voice, incorporating some irregular rhythms and counterpoint. Any thought on the mixes would be greatly appreciated. Obviously, they are supposed to be dark and roomy, which makes mixing them quite a challenge.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jje...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QhT...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IyR...ew?usp=sharing

All the best,
Erik

I tried to access these. I get a "request" to access message from Google. The files are not what I call publicly accessible but require contacting you first.

I only just tried a google drive link share last week and remember seeing a "anyone with this link has access type message". If you selected that option, it did not work for me.

I'd be glad to try later if made accessible.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonehear View Post
Hello popp, since new here just now I will try the quick reply feature and see how it posts versus the quote and hope it collates to that track.

- I like the descending 3 Notes, in the repeating call and response foundation riff, -- how I'll refer to it, and I'll hope that's clear.

- The length fits

- The orchestration as framed in this as "rough demo" works for me

I realize that this is all just opinion; nonetheless there's an obvious to me structure one hears, since is the framing of the track.

[So now I see "Options" below to quote the message? and if I do not? hmmm, decisions, -- I"ll not quote and see if somehow linked; and, I don't know what link sharer is so will leave that alone. If I am able to edit and need to, then I will. So, here goes... ]

Okay, lesson learned, that comment is in reference to demo post:

For @ popp above:
"...
Attached Files
ballad.mp3 (6.07 MB, 64 views)

00:0002:39
..."
Hi, thanks for the feedback! Yes i am also unfamiliar with most things on the forum...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Phew! So I kind of hid myself away during this electoral storm and finished off a song I’ve been working on for a while. It’ll need some mastering and probably, once I’ve referenced it in a few places, some more mixing too lol.

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Phew! So I kind of hid myself away during this electoral storm and finished off a song I’ve been working on for a while. It’ll need some mastering and probably, once I’ve referenced it in a few places, some more mixing too lol.

Smart stuff. Very well conceived and executed. Maybe I wish there were more real instruments, but the parts are excellent anyway.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

Hello, (still trying to figure out the forums here, but here for the demos..., so...) --
- It has a great feel to it.
- I get an overall abstract gist of the Lyrics, (what/how I hear them), but without them in text, -- can't say more that that.
- So, just in listening to the flow of the demo, "feels" well structured along with the instrument orchestration selection.

Beyond that it is all opinion and personal preference (well, actually it all is, isn't it, hahhh), so unless had specific questions, -- yes, great "rough demo"!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks both the positive appraisal.
I wasn’t sure where to put it because I would kind of assume a “finished” demo is mastered, but that could be totally wrong.
Lives for gear

Quote:

This is excellent stuff! Defies genre too, what would you call it 'prog pop'?

Whatever, it's really good.
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is excellent stuff! Defies genre too, what would you call it 'prog pop'?

Whatever, it's really good.
Thanks be sure to PM me if you want to be notified when the album is done and I’ll make a note.

I guess part of it is taking progressive elements, metal elements, and making them palatable for the average 25+ year old listener?

I write a lot of stuff that people might consider to be Industrial, but also harkens back in harmonic language to late 70’s/early 80’s music.

And the lyrics are always mental-health related so I guess it’s Griefpop?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks be sure to PM me if you want to be notified when the album is done and I’ll make a note.

I guess part of it is taking progressive elements, metal elements, and making them palatable for the average 25+ year old listener?

I write a lot of stuff that people might consider to be Industrial, but also harkens back in harmonic language to late 70’s/early 80’s music.

And the lyrics are always mental-health related so I guess it’s Griefpop?
"Griefpop" . I like it. Good name for a band. Very Emo
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
I tried another variation. But actually have to put more time in mixing
Attached Files

pop beat.mp3 (8.07 MB, 175 views)

Lives for gear

Quote:
I tried another variation. But actually have to put more time in mixing
Piano seems a little louder in this one. Sounding good overall. Keep working on it.
Gear Head

Quote:
Piano seems a little louder in this one. Sounding good overall. Keep working on it.
You are right about the piano. Yes maybe some polishing. I will try out some plugin effects on them. Thanks for the feedback!
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear