The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your rough demos
Old 21st October 2020
  #9931
Lives for gear
Hi all. Hope you have been keeping well. Not posted anything for ages, so here is my latest track. I've abandoned the idea of finishing my album anytime soon, so going to put out an EP of songs around the same sort of subject matter of distrust in the powers that be, the lack of knowing what is truth or lies and the bleak future that seems on the horizon.

Not the happiest of subjects I know. Anyway, these are scratch vocals and there has been no proper mix yet, so I will get a bit more movement and use more panning etc and EQ a few sounds etc. Any tips welcomed.

https://soundcloud.com/kanewilliams-.../s-HSHVv9yDPqL
Old 21st October 2020 | Show parent
  #9932
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlcoholByVolume View Post


Hey all, its been a while since Ive recorded anything, but I had a little moment of inspiration and have a little something in the works. Its possibly the shortest song Ive ever written. I intentionally left out the drums because I felt it gave the tune a more somber tune. Also, vocals are still scratch because of a massive wildfire burning a few miles away from me and the smoke makes singing well impossible.

Id love to hear your thoughts on this one. Hope everyone is doing well!
Listening on headphones (ATH-R70x).

The bass sounds awesome. In fact I love the timbre of everything in the mix. The mix is very well done. The panning bothered me at first, but I realised this was partly due to listening on headphones. I also realise that the bold panning was a creative decision and by the end of the track I grew to like it.

I liked the song too and no complaints over the performance. I like the way the voice breaks up a bit on the last couple of words.

Great job.
Old 21st October 2020 | Show parent
  #9933
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Hi all. Hope you have been keeping well. Not posted anything for ages, so here is my latest track. I've abandoned the idea of finishing my album anytime soon, so going to put out an EP of songs around the same sort of subject matter of distrust in the powers that be, the lack of knowing what is truth or lies and the bleak future that seems on the horizon.

Not the happiest of subjects I know. Anyway, these are scratch vocals and there has been no proper mix yet, so I will get a bit more movement and use more panning etc and EQ a few sounds etc. Any tips welcomed.

https://soundcloud.com/kanewilliams-.../s-HSHVv9yDPqL
It is so nice to hear something from you again. I really love this. That synth bass is so fat. Drums have some real punch to them. Vocals are so smooth. Honestly can't find anything about this to nit pick about.
Old 21st October 2020 | Show parent
  #9934
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugetsu85 View Post
+ @ bkbirge @ Zyzygis @ wagtunes

Thanks again to all of you for the notes. Much appreciated.

I now have a revised version of the song available for possible further notes. Here are some changes to look out for:

- overdubbed the "woah" part in the chorus with "real" lyrics
- several subtractive EQ moves on to cut out harsh frequencies
- worked on the kick drum to have it better cut through the mix in the upper frequencies while still retaining a punchy low end. Haven't done a car test yet though
- recorded a new guitar lead part that comes in after the 1st chorus
- minor changes to the drum arrangement and mix
- added delay to the vocals, the effect changes between the sections as suggested by @ Zyzygis

I'm still wondering if I should extend the song with an additional chorus or something else. I kinda like it as it isjk but still not confident.
Great track! Great vocal! The mix is clever. I like the way you have managed to keep the vocal quite low in the mix, yet still clear and legible, buy keeping everything else out of the way with panning, EQ and fx. I know that is basically mixing, but something I am not really very good at. I'm impressed.
Old 21st October 2020 | Show parent
  #9935
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
It is so nice to hear something from you again. I really love this. That synth bass is so fat. Drums have some real punch to them. Vocals are so smooth. Honestly can't find anything about this to nit pick about.
Thanks Wag. Hope you have been keeping well.
Old 21st October 2020 | Show parent
  #9936
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatfield View Post
I know this is the rough drafts thread but you gave some good advise on my draft a couple months ago, quoted below. You recommended finding a female vocalist and changing the structure. I ended up writing a new chorus and moving things around. Also started working with a guitar player. Maybe if there's a season 4 of Twin Peaks he can use this at the end credits. I'm posting the youtube link here to the finished product. Thanks again! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLrnTmNTKLM
I know you are not looking for more feedback for changes, but I so wish at somewhere around 2.05 to 2.20 a bit fuzzy guitar, powerchord type thing had come in. Not a solo as such, just some meaty overdriven (but still warm and smooth) guitar chords to give some energy there.

It's a lovely track though and I love the chorus. I think I may have been one of the people who agreed a female vocal would work well and it really does. Great job.
Old 21st October 2020 | Show parent
  #9937
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by popp View Post
hi guys, i made some soul
I can hear what you are thinking and i think I'd class more as Pop/RnB. I assume the piano is representing the vocal? If so, I would try to get this to be a duet.

Best of luck with it.
Old 21st October 2020 | Show parent
  #9938
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
In a similar way your comment to @ popp was a passive aggressive put down of his work, you didn't critique it, you just seemed to be wanting others to see how clever you are at his expense.

I wouldn't have sunk this low, but I noticed on another thread you where ripping this one, and other 'songwriting forums' to pieces....somebody suggested that you post some of your own work, you refused outright yet you still turn up here to criticise others on a regular basis.
I have no idea about any of what is being discussed here, what was said or anything, but I can vouch for DRCMUSIC when it comes to his talents. He is very good. However, I agree putting people down is not on, but like I say, I did not read his comments to judge them.
Old 21st October 2020 | Show parent
  #9939
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg09 View Post
Here's a new pop style song that I made a few days ago. Mixed and Mastered by me!

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CFDznUbD2K_/
Sounds very good, but I do think the vocals are a little masked by the other elements. Maybe some dynamic EQ or side chain compression would sort this?

Good work though.
Old 21st October 2020 | Show parent
  #9940
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejanuska View Post
Excellent!

I'm guessing all instruments where recorded in a nice sounding room by someone who knows what they are doing, as everything sounds like butter! If this is not the case, then the mix engineer definitely knows what they are doing!

What an individual voice too and I mean that in a good way. May I ask what the vocal chain was, or at least the mic, as it sounded like a great fit.
Old 21st October 2020 | Show parent
  #9941
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninecows View Post
Opening song on my album which is still (after 22 years) in the making.

Currently I’m playing around with some sound effects from Black Friday frenzy/crowd counting down for the intro.

Besides that I’m stuck here because I think I need some kind of bad ass driven bluesy guitar solo (which I can’t play) here and there and some soul/gospel like female vocalist(s) to join me on the “basic instincts” lines and well a bit more.

The psychedelic outro is gonna be cut short mid bar somewhere and jump straight into the next song which is far more mellow. I think.

Generally I’m torn between perfectionism and my poor capabilities as a musician and lack of people who can actually play what’s inside my head.

So now I’m trying to speed-date all the songs one final time. Two evenings per song recording. No attempt to do mixing or record stuff I can’t play anyway.
Sounds like something Zyzygis would make. I can hear him singing it. You two should collaborate.
Old 21st October 2020 | Show parent
  #9942
Lives for gear
 
mikeg09's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Sounds very good, but I do think the vocals are a little masked by the other elements. Maybe some dynamic EQ or side chain compression would sort this?

Good work though.
Thanks for the advise!
Old 22nd October 2020
  #9943
Lives for gear
 

Did a song about my grandbaby. Like others have said, when a guy writes a song about his child or grandchild they can be a little embarrassed and kinda feel like other guys will think they are kind of goofy. My little sweetie is two and a half years old, just learning to talk and it is just so cute to hear her. Anyway, did this one by myself here in my bedroom studio, if you could call it that, lol. Hope she hears this someday after I am long gone and knows how much I loved her. Thanks for listening

https://soundcloud.com/user-28180901...eautiful-world
Old 22nd October 2020
  #9944
Here for the gear
 

Chord progression/song structure feedback

Hi all,

So, I've been playing guitar for years now, but have never sat down to put in the time to actually write my own stuff. I figured now's as good a time as any to start. I'm also using this as an excuse to learn my way around Logic Pro X...as a result, I'm focused on two separate things and most likely not doing as good a job with either as I could be.

Anyhow, I'd appreciate any constructive feedback on what I've got going on here. At this point, there is no melody (or lyrics)...just a basic chord progression for the verses, choruses and an attempt at a bridge. Also will eventually need an intro/outro. All thoughts/suggestions welcome...hoping to tap into the collective wisdom here and come away with something concrete to focus on.

Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/user-575302299/project-26
Old 22nd October 2020 | Show parent
  #9945
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by edu_lettuce View Post
Hi all,

So, I've been playing guitar for years now, but have never sat down to put in the time to actually write my own stuff. I figured now's as good a time as any to start. I'm also using this as an excuse to learn my way around Logic Pro X...as a result, I'm focused on two separate things and most likely not doing as good a job with either as I could be.

Anyhow, I'd appreciate any constructive feedback on what I've got going on here. At this point, there is no melody (or lyrics)...just a basic chord progression for the verses, choruses and an attempt at a bridge. Also will eventually need an intro/outro. All thoughts/suggestions welcome...hoping to tap into the collective wisdom here and come away with something concrete to focus on.

Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/user-575302299/project-26
Not a thing wrong with that, I like the chords. I was making up my own time to it, just let your mind go and sing to it. I love the break and lead, just keep plugging away at it. This will be a good song.
Old 22nd October 2020 | Show parent
  #9946
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffguitar View Post
Not a thing wrong with that, I like the chords. I was making up my own time to it, just let your mind go and sing to it. I love the break and lead, just keep plugging away at it. This will be a good song.
Thanks, really appreciate it! "just let your mind go and sing to it"...it's funny, I did exactly that during my lunch break today. That was eye opening. Ranged from uncomfortably bad, to plain 'ol not good. I'll get there though...this is a new muscle for me to exercise.
Old 23rd October 2020 | Show parent
  #9947
Gear Head
 

Thanks for compliments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Excellent!

I'm guessing all instruments where recorded in a nice sounding room by someone who knows what they are doing, as everything sounds like butter! If this is not the case, then the mix engineer definitely knows what they are doing!

What an individual voice too and I mean that in a good way. May I ask what the vocal chain was, or at least the mic, as it sounded like a great fit.
This was recorded by me in my converted bedroom that I treated earlier this year. I made the treatments myself. Didn't save much money going DIY, but it was a fun project. It really helped cut down the low end reflections and the improvements to the room was huge. I have three 2 ft x 4 ft panels behind my "desk" and two similar panels mounted on the ceiling. I had foolishly purchased some gear hoping to make improvements to my sound, but since my room wasn't treated at all, the new stuff just made the room problems stand out even more. So I built panels. Note to anyone else reading this: Don't buy anymore mics, pres, monitors, comps, etc., until you treat that room.

I also am guilty of the mixing, it was all ITB.
Vocal chain was a WA-47jr->TB12 Pre->WA-76(Just a touch of comp)->Focusrite interface. I'm a Warm Audio fan, obviously, they're gear sounds good and is affordable.

I'm also guilty of the vocals and other performances. The plan is to add human drum tracks when they get delivered.

The whole thing was written and recorded very quickly. I like the way it sounded so I didn't want to muck around too much with it.

I really appreciate your comments because I feel like I'm flying in the dark sometimes, not knowing if I'm hitting the mark or what.
Old 23rd October 2020 | Show parent
  #9948
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejanuska View Post
This was recorded by me in my converted bedroom that I treated earlier this year. I made the treatments myself. Didn't save much money going DIY, but it was a fun project. It really helped cut down the low end reflections and the improvements to the room was huge. I have three 2 ft x 4 ft panels behind my "desk" and two similar panels mounted on the ceiling. I had foolishly purchased some gear hoping to make improvements to my sound, but since my room wasn't treated at all, the new stuff just made the room problems stand out even more. So I built panels. Note to anyone else reading this: Don't buy anymore mics, pres, monitors, comps, etc., until you treat that room.

I also am guilty of the mixing, it was all ITB.
Vocal chain was a WA-47jr->TB12 Pre->WA-76(Just a touch of comp)->Focusrite interface. I'm a Warm Audio fan, obviously, they're gear sounds good and is affordable.

I'm also guilty of the vocals and other performances. The plan is to add human drum tracks when they get delivered.

The whole thing was written and recorded very quickly. I like the way it sounded so I didn't want to muck around too much with it.

I really appreciate your comments because I feel like I'm flying in the dark sometimes, not knowing if I'm hitting the mark or what.
Well, whatever you are doing sounds great to me.
Old 23rd October 2020 | Show parent
  #9949
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejanuska View Post
This was recorded by me in my converted bedroom that I treated earlier this year. I made the treatments myself. Didn't save much money going DIY, but it was a fun project. It really helped cut down the low end reflections and the improvements to the room was huge. I have three 2 ft x 4 ft panels behind my "desk" and two similar panels mounted on the ceiling. I had foolishly purchased some gear hoping to make improvements to my sound, but since my room wasn't treated at all, the new stuff just made the room problems stand out even more. So I built panels. Note to anyone else reading this: Don't buy anymore mics, pres, monitors, comps, etc., until you treat that room.

I also am guilty of the mixing, it was all ITB.
Vocal chain was a WA-47jr->TB12 Pre->WA-76(Just a touch of comp)->Focusrite interface. I'm a Warm Audio fan, obviously, they're gear sounds good and is affordable.

I'm also guilty of the vocals and other performances. The plan is to add human drum tracks when they get delivered.

The whole thing was written and recorded very quickly. I like the way it sounded so I didn't want to muck around too much with it.

I really appreciate your comments because I feel like I'm flying in the dark sometimes, not knowing if I'm hitting the mark or what.
Agree with Mr Funk, this track sounds awesome. I listened twice in a row, I'd say you are hitting a mark. Moody and tons of vibe. Also love that you're using Warm stuff. Like you noted, quality stuff that's affordable.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #9950
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post


Another mix from the Personal album.
Piano, drums, strings and vocals.
I think I got the balance right but if anyone has any thoughts, criticisms please let me know.
Thanks
Really good song, love the melody.

Mix wise, the first piano hit nearly broke my ears, so maybe soften that a little. It could just be that the very front of the note was cut off?

I think the vocal seemed a little unmixed. I think the sibilance area frequencies seemed too pushed forward, which made it a bit sharp. I know you like a lot of diction, but I think you sing that way anyway, so you need less upper mids pushed than other vocalists would. It's giving it a scratch vocal quality rather than a polished mixed vocal. I would also try a vari mu type compressor on it to soften it up a little and also help level the dynamics a bit more. All in all, the vocal needs to be warmer and creamier I think.

The piano has a lot of saturation or resonance, but I quite like that.

Good work as usual.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #9951
Lives for gear
 
Poopypants's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post


Another mix from the Personal album.
Piano, drums, strings and vocals.
I think I got the balance right but if anyone has any thoughts, criticisms please let me know.
Thanks
This only came to my attention because of Mr. Funk's post above.

I hate everything.

I like this. I listened some of your other songs as well. All very good work. I have no idea how you could make it better and no desire to pretend I do, but I think there may be a producer or two out there who could help make it even better.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #9952
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
Getting close -- just trying out instruments
I like that. Lovely warmth from the guitar.

I think the backing "ooh" vocals are very nice and I'd maybe do more intense backing vocals in the middle 8. Can you get a female voice to join the backing ensemble?

The line in the last verse where you sing "thinking about leaving town" is a bit of a mouthful, so I'd change that to "thinking of leaving town". I'm not shy of using more words that I need sometimes, as I like the energy that can sometimes deliver, but here I think the simpler line will work better.

Nice job.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #9953
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post


I brought the vocal more (maybe too) upfront and started to tidy up the parts.
I went for a rather raucous mix but I think it works.
Still need to work on the bass, should I add some distortion? Perhaps a bass amp?
Or is it ok as it is?
Sounds great to me. Bass works as is. I like the louder vocal on this one and the upper mid push that I didn't like on the other track works well on this one. It adds a nice edge.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #9954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Really good song, love the melody.

Mix wise, the first piano hit nearly broke my ears, so maybe soften that a little. It could just be that the very front of the note was cut off?

I think the vocal seemed a little unmixed. I think the sibilance area frequencies seemed too pushed forward, which made it a bit sharp. I know you like a lot of diction, but I think you sing that way anyway, so you need less upper mids pushed than other vocalists would. It's giving it a scratch vocal quality rather than a polished mixed vocal. I would also try a vari mu type compressor on it to soften it up a little and also help level the dynamics a bit more. All in all, the vocal needs to be warmer and creamier I think.

The piano has a lot of saturation or resonance, but I quite like that.

Good work as usual.
Hi Kane, thanks for your feedback.
I think you’re right about the vocal being a bit brittle, I will adjust it.
The first piano chord is quite hard and I wanted it to really hit but it is probably too much, sorry for your ears!
I have a cello part for the track which I will record as soon as I can (just moved into a new home and I am setting up the studio) so I will need to rebalance the other parts to some extent.
I will have a listen to your latest.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #9955
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
Hi Kane, thanks for your feedback.
I think you’re right about the vocal being a bit brittle, I will adjust it.
The first piano chord is quite hard and I wanted it to really hit but it is probably too much, sorry for your ears!
I have a cello part for the track which I will record as soon as I can (just moved into a new home and I am setting up the studio) so I will need to rebalance the other parts to some extent.
I will have a listen to your latest.
Wow, new home and studio. Wish I could say that. Hopefully soon. Hope all goes well. Looking forward to hearing what you produce in that new space.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #9956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopypants View Post
This only came to my attention because of Mr. Funk's post above.

I hate everything.

I like this. I listened some of your other songs as well. All very good work. I have no idea how you could make it better and no desire to pretend I do, but I think there may be a producer or two out there who could help make it even better.
Thanks Poopypants, I am glad you liked it.
I am always looking for ways to improve my recordings and this thread has been invaluable for the feedback and encouragement people have given me over the years.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #9957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Sounds great to me. Bass works as is. I like the louder vocal on this one and the upper mid push that I didn't like on the other track works well on this one. It adds a nice edge.
Thanks again Kane.

Yes, new home. It’s been a long journey, three years since I sold my last place, so I am really appreciative of having the space to work and some privacy at last.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #9958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Hi all. Hope you have been keeping well. Not posted anything for ages, so here is my latest track. I've abandoned the idea of finishing my album anytime soon, so going to put out an EP of songs around the same sort of subject matter of distrust in the powers that be, the lack of knowing what is truth or lies and the bleak future that seems on the horizon.

Not the happiest of subjects I know. Anyway, these are scratch vocals and there has been no proper mix yet, so I will get a bit more movement and use more panning etc and EQ a few sounds etc. Any tips welcomed.

https://soundcloud.com/kanewilliams-.../s-HSHVv9yDPqL
I listened to this several times and I think it’s a very good song with brilliant lyrics but I am finding it hard to connect with the mix somehow.
I think it’s the sounds, they seem to be fighting each other and drawing my attention away from the vocals and getting in the way of the song rather than supporting it.
The bass is too big and too familiar, it makes the track too generic, same thing with the snare. The percussive sound seems disjointed and distracting, perhaps if it was more like a bass thumb piano sound it would work but the synth bass would need to be less prominent, I would even try an acoustic bass sound instead.
I realise that all this is a matter of taste and others might disagree.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #9959
Here for the gear
 

Not a demo per se, but I wrote three short pieces featuring the Moog 15 iPad app as lead voice, incorporating some irregular rhythms and counterpoint. Any thought on the mixes would be greatly appreciated. Obviously, they are supposed to be dark and roomy, which makes mixing them quite a challenge.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jje...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QhT...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IyR...ew?usp=sharing

All the best,
Erik
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #9960
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
I listened to this several times and I think it’s a very good song with brilliant lyrics but I am finding it hard to connect with the mix somehow.
I think it’s the sounds, they seem to be fighting each other and drawing my attention away from the vocals and getting in the way of the song rather than supporting it.
The bass is too big and too familiar, it makes the track too generic, same thing with the snare. The percussive sound seems disjointed and distracting, perhaps if it was more like a bass thumb piano sound it would work but the synth bass would need to be less prominent, I would even try an acoustic bass sound instead.
I realise that all this is a matter of taste and others might disagree.
Thanks Z

I wasn't sure the very latest version was up on Soundcloud, so I just updated it, but it's possible it was the same one.

Can I clarify your points a bit?

The bass. Do you mean the synth bass that is at the start and in the chorus (accompanied by bass guitar) that is too big and familiar or do you mean the bass guitar that is not accompanied by the synth bass during the choruses? I like the synth bass and am happy for it to be a bit familiar, but the bass guitar sound (Waves Bass fingers) is not great for this track imo.

The snare I like in general, but I agree it lacks something. I may blend another snare of similar sound with it, with some fx on it to make it more interesting. Do you think the snare is too big, because I was thinking it would be even bigger if I added something.

The percussive sound, I'm assuming you mean the marimba in the start and chorus? There is also some light percussion there too including a wood block. I think this marimba is quite an integral hook, but I am perfectly happy to find a better sounding one or try a thumb piano sound in it's place.

Are you suggesting replacing the "electro" synth bass or the bass guitar with an acoustic (upright bass)? I don't think I will lose the synth bass, as I also really like that part. I think you are kind of right about it stealing a bit of the show, as does the marimba, but that was sort of intentional. I do like the idea of a better bass for the bass guitar sound and an upright could be good.

I have not actually mixed this track much yet btw.
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump