Post your rough demos
Old 25th December 2014
Lives for gear

Ya, that is distorting way too much for me, it's all turning into mush. The guitar sounds good but once the drums come in it all sounds the same, like overloaded tape.

Is it distorted because you recorded it super hot to the 388 or because you mixed it really hot to something else?

It might work as an interesting B-side (if B-sides existed) but it's kinda painful to listen to and the later stuff you posted is much better.

I can't even comment on the song because of the recording, sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzboy View Post
Ok this is one of our first song recorded on my Tascam 388, but we can't find the right spot for now so I'm posting this song here to you guys to hopefully get some output.

This track is not compressed at all, so maybe it sounds more vintage.
The drums are almost as distorted as the guitar.
I'd like to know what you think, as we went to another direction with the previous tracks I posted, they were more compressed.

I guess it was easier when we tracked clean digitally, and dirt the tracks up with some Decapitator (months ago)!!
Old 25th December 2014
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkheadedbug View Post
Ya, that is distorting way too much for me, it's all turning into mush. The guitar sounds good but once the drums come in it all sounds the same, like overloaded tape.

Is it distorted because you recorded it super hot to the 388 or because you mixed it really hot to something else?

It might work as an interesting B-side (if B-sides existed) but it's kinda painful to listen to and the later stuff you posted is much better.

I can't even comment on the song because of the recording, sorry!
Thanks for your comment
Well you confirm what I thought, I guess we will continue in the direction with went already, but maybe with cleaner tracks.

It is distorted because we did record very hot on the Tascam, we were so happy to use it for the first time and we got too excited! :D
Old 1st January 2015
Gear Head

I have 11 rough demos done. Don't know if it would be appreciated to post all of them lol
Old 1st January 2015
Lives for gear

Can't really work on the bass anymore after moving to a smaller studio with only 4" monitors

Thoughts?

Old 1st January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keys2TheCastle36 View Post
I have 11 rough demos done. Don't know if it would be appreciated to post all of them lol
People will listen to one at most I think.
Old 3rd January 2015
Gear interested

All of my beats and instrumentals are made using a korg microsampler, guitar pedals, a fostex 8-track, and actual instruments. i'm going for that lo-fi feel and am still pretty new to this whole process. any feedback is greatly appreciated!

https://soundcloud.com/treestories/b...rease-brown-ii
Old 4th January 2015
Gear Head

#1 I'm not a singer or producer
#2 I'm self taught and just starting so lots of mistakes and bad sound
#3 Rip me apart lol

Old 4th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrEeEyEs View Post
All of my beats and instrumentals are made using a korg microsampler, guitar pedals, a fostex 8-track, and actual instruments. i'm going for that lo-fi feel and am still pretty new to this whole process. any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Man, this sounds really cool. Do you play guitar? Or is that the Korg making the guitar sounds? ...at any rate, I would love to hear more. It would be really good if you could add some vocals.
Old 4th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keys2TheCastle36 View Post
#1 I'm not a singer or producer
#2 I'm self taught and just starting so lots of mistakes and bad sound
#3 Rip me apart lol

Dude..... don't cut yourself short. As a matter of fact, I hope you're putting your stuff out there.... as in REALLY out there... other places besides just here. You have a really good sound, and I can relate to the lyrics.... that means others can relate also. I think all you need is for the right person to hear your stuff... just my two cents.
Old 4th January 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBullet View Post
Dude..... don't cut yourself short. As a matter of fact, I hope you're putting your stuff out there.... as in REALLY out there... other places besides just here. You have a really good sound, and I can relate to the lyrics.... that means others can relate also. I think all you need is for the right person to hear your stuff... just my two cents.
I really do appreciate that! I actually don't have them anywhere else. I was under the impression not to post songs on popular sites unless they had a clean clear produced sound.
Old 5th January 2015
Lives for gear

This one's hot out of the toaster... decided to video myself as I laid down the tracks for the rough demo this weekend... kinda fun

That's an Eastwood Sidejack DLX baritone guitar doing the monster twang thing, in case you were wondering.

Yet another attempt of mine to do the male-torch-song thing, not quite as vintage a vibe as usual due to the distorted drums I think.

ps really is a rough demo, haven't even taken it to the band yet

Last edited by pinkheadedbug; 5th January 2015 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: Stupid autocorrect
Old 5th January 2015
Gear interested
Talon feedback

Old 5th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingramunit4 View Post
i just finished up a song that i would like some feedback on. i would particularly like feedback for improving the chorus melody but all advice is welcome. thanks in advance! https://www.dropbox.com/s/1hbk83tep1...Mixed.wav?dl=0
Friendly tip:make an MP3 or upload to here or Soundcloud. No-one's going to download a 32Mb WAV file.
Old 5th January 2015
Lives for gear

Thoughts on this intrumental?

Old 5th January 2015
Gear interested
Old 6th January 2015
Quote:

REALLY enjoyed this! Reminiscent of early Cure stuff, and Ataxia.
Old 6th January 2015
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkheadedbug View Post
This one's hot out of the toaster... decided to video myself as I laid down the tracks for the rough demo this weekend... kinda fun

That's an Eastwood Sidejack DLX baritone guitar doing the monster twang thing, in case you were wondering.

Yet another attempt of mine to do the male-torch-song thing, not quite as vintage a vibe as usual due to the distorted drums I think.

ps really is a rough demo, haven't even taken it to the band yet

This one is good. I really like it.
I like your singing.
Old 6th January 2015
Gear interested

Quote:

Oh yes.
Talent Alert!
Old 7th January 2015
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLiRD808 View Post

Love it. Do you want a rap on it?
Old 7th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteGJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLiRD808 View Post

Love it. Do you want a rap on it?
YEP. PM me....THX!

How's the mix sound too though? My reverb skills are still somewhat rudimentary, and I tend to go overboard. I've temporarily down-sized to Yamaha MSP3's so I cant really determine if the bass is too much/little--it sounds a big farty/wonky at times to me also.

Might go ahead and spend $ and get this one mixed/mastered by some local pro-studios after a few more edits.
Old 11th January 2015
Gear maniac

Here’s a song by my daughter (Shelby Sanborn). The mother of a close friend of hers died suddenly on Thanksgiving morning. It was quite difficult and as she tries to help her friend deal with the situation - so I think she is left pondering the ‘circle-of-life’ kinds of things. Which found its way into this song which she wrote/played and I recorded over the Christmas break.

The song is called “He’s So Beautiful” (age 14)
Old 13th January 2015
Gear interested

This is my first attempt of making a track that is anything other than just vocals and acoustic guitar. It's not finished yet as I need to spend a bit more time mixing and I also need to record a better vocal but I'd appreciate any opinions. Genre is rock/pop and the song is called nowhere to run.

https://soundcloud.com/mark-johnson-...here25/s-MRXs1
Old 19th January 2015
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJMusic View Post
This is my first attempt of making a track that is anything other than just vocals and acoustic guitar. It's not finished yet as I need to spend a bit more time mixing and I also need to record a better vocal but I'd appreciate any opinions. Genre is rock/pop and the song is called nowhere to run.

https://soundcloud.com/mark-johnson-...here25/s-MRXs1
Hey that is actually pretty alright! I can kinda hear some radiohead influence .. (not sure if you are influenced by them haha) But hey I liked it

Here is my song , its electronic indie pop .. I am very new to song writing , I need to change some lyrics and maybe my verses melody wise but what do you guys think of my song? part of it was recorded with my imac mic and the rest was with a condenser mic. Still learning how to mix audio and all recorded with garageband. I would really appreciate it if you guys could drop in some honest opinions
https://soundcloud.com/sketchysteven...tter-draftidea
Old 20th January 2015
pia
Gear Head

princeoxford - Good draft. A little more work for chorus - make it a diamond Mixing advice ... those high frequencies ... outch. Keep up the good work
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Lives for gear

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Gear interested

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Gear maniac

Here is my 1st compose for the video.

My bandmate's sister is figure skater. I was asked to (try) compose music for her. I got some training videos and also couple of competitions.
I have never worked like this, compose something for the video. I'm glad she is a good skater, something about her movement..

I took my work to my piano teacher's workshop and I played parts in live. This is a sound of my Korg sp-250 digital piano. We did punch-in recording which was new to me also.

Any advice/comment is welcomed!

-George

https://soundcloud.com/flyinggeorge/piano_work27
Old 3 Weeks Ago
So I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread earlier. Well not wrong but unintended so im tossing it in here too. This was originally an acoustic song that took on a life of its own after I put it in the daw with my new midi controller. The result is my first electro-pop song. Its really close to being finished. Just a few tweeks left here and there, I think. Any other opinions and thoughts are welcomed and encouraged. Thanks for listening!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search