Lives for gear

Getting close -- just trying out instruments
Attached Files

HALF A HEART.mp3 (7.59 MB, 779 views)

Old 14th July 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somasu View Post
I think if you owned the vocal more so the listener could understand the lyrics that would help.

I found that horn riff annoying and if you just can't do without it save it for the last minute or so. Six minutes of that horn is just torture to me.
Old 18th July 2020

First mix of another track from “The Gospel According To” album.
Influenced by 70’s rock.
I am really happy with this one as far as the songwriting is concerned, I think I captured what I needed to say, what do you think?
I hope you like it.
Old 19th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post

Influenced by 70’s rock.
I am really happy with this one as far as the songwriting is concerned, I think I captured what I needed to say, what do you think?
I hope you like it.
Just commenting on the song itself, very well structured. I'm sure you'll work out the mix issues as you go along.
Old 19th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Just commenting on the song itself, very well structured. I'm sure you'll work out the mix issues as you go along.
Thanks.

Is that cover of your song by the Asian band out yet?
Old 19th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks.

Is that cover of your song by the Asian band out yet?
As they are out of Florida and with all that's going on down there right now, it's doubtful that it's going to get done at all, which is okay with me. Right now, I'd give it all up for this pandemic to be over with.

This year has made me realize what's important and the music business is pretty near the bottom of the list.
Old 20th July 2020

I brought the vocal more (maybe too) upfront and started to tidy up the parts.
I went for a rather raucous mix but I think it works.
Still need to work on the bass, should I add some distortion? Perhaps a bass amp?
Or is it ok as it is?
Old 20th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotWorms View Post
Doesn't winduh just sound so much cooler though?
I was bored and had nothing to do so I decided to listen to this. My only complaint is that I don't get all the words because there are parts where you're either singing too quietly or the guitar is masking the vocals because of the frequencies overlapping. It's enough words that it does take away from the story because you miss important details.

You might want to either...

1. Turn the guitar down

Or....

2. Record guitar and vocal on separate tracks and EQ out the masking frequencies of the guitar. That will make the vocals stand out a lot more and make for a more enjoyable listening experience for those who want to get all the words.
Old 21st July 2020
Gear Head

Quote:

Influenced by 70’s rock.
I hope you like it.
I really liked the whole song except the first verse. I thought the lyrics were weak there. Seems like you settled on "mire" to make the rhyme work. Maybe that can be improved.
Old 21st July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Influenced by 70’s rock.
I hope you like it.
Really nice work...love the brass band feel at the intro, and then when it's married up to the rock feel later in the song they work so well together, clever.
Old 21st July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejanuska View Post
I really liked the whole song except the first verse. I thought the lyrics were weak there. Seems like you settled on "mire" to make the rhyme work. Maybe that can be improved.
Thanks.
It’s actually Maya, as in illusion, the first time and the second time in the last verse it is mire.
I think it’s the best way to set up the story, which is based on the prodigal son parable told from a first person perspective.
I do seem to be in a slightly cheeky mood as far as rhymes go at the moment, and you’re not the first person to criticise my rhyming recently, but it’s deliberate and designed to, hopefully, draw attention to the deeper meaning of the lyrics.
Having said that, I will be more obvious about the pronunciation of maya and mire in the final version which you may well like even less.
Old 21st July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
Really nice work...love the brass band feel at the intro, and then when it's married up to the rock feel later in the song they work so well together, clever.
Thanks very much!
Old 21st July 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Thanks.
It’s actually Maya, as in illusion, the first time and the second time in the last verse it is mire.
I think it’s the best way to set up the story, which is based on the prodigal son parable told from a first person perspective.
I do seem to be in a slightly cheeky mood as far as rhymes go at the moment, and you’re not the first person to criticise my rhyming recently, but it’s deliberate and designed to, hopefully, draw attention to the deeper meaning of the lyrics.
Having said that, I will be more obvious about the pronunciation of maya and mire in the final version which you may well like even less.
Maya...it's too bad it sounds so much like mire, maybe because my brain was expecting mire, but Maya is way cooler.
Old 23rd July 2020
Lives for gear

Gettin' this one going ..
Attached Files

HALF A HEART.mp3 (7.61 MB, 408 views)

Old 23rd July 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
Gettin' this one going ..
1977 called, they want their song back.
Joking, it was pretty good.
I would pare down the lead guitar parts if it was up to me.
Old 23rd July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey ~~ Thanks for listening -- we will have it by next week --- just playing with the mix all this week .. client suggest brushes on a snare .. will try to have a final soon ..

Yeah '77 -- that was good year -- first time I actually started using SOS with a Sony reel . First multi track > AND opened for Jimmy Buffet/Doc Watson / Taj and Marshall Tucker ... that famed year

Although most are thinking 60's -- that stop by to track --- most couldn't name 10 songs in the 80's

We don't even get "youngsters" in their 50's >> around here ..

So:: we discuss 50/60's writers / productions in the studio -- use them for a template .. Like : "do you remember the first time you saw Buffalo Springfield live" The guitarist on this cut saw the Beatles twice ..

Last edited by cjogo; 24th July 2020 at 03:54 AM..
Old 23rd July 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
Hey ~~ Thanks for listening -- we will have it by next week --- just playing with the mix all this week .. client suggest brushes on a snare .. will try to have a final soon ..

Yeah '77 -- that was good year -- first time I actually started using SOS with a Sony . AND opened for Jimmy Buffet/Doc Watson / Taj and Marshall Tucker ...

We don't even get "youngsters" in their 50's >> around here ..

So:: we discuss 50/60's writers / productions in the studio -- use them for a template .. Like : "do you remember the first time you saw Buffalo Springfield live" The guitarist on this cut saw the Beatles twice ..
I'm a youngster by your count.
Old 23rd July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm a youngster by your count.
Love youngsters in the studio -- just we approach the process so differently. They ask for a procedure and we have to bring in someone closer to their age to engineer ..

We have Pro Tools -- but never have loaded it up --- Just been seeing that iLOck for years > protruding out of the top of our studio desktop ,,,

Way more simple here ... think : like a tape deck -- but digital ~~ without all the "modern" post processing ..

Last edited by cjogo; 23rd July 2020 at 09:45 PM..
Old 27th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I remixed tonight -- worked on those lead parts

Any thoughts on the final......I have at least 10 more of those pre 1977 ,,,style songs to track

you will find no loopin' drum thang~~ in our compound,,,

pitching tools....never ventured through the doors ,,,

older tech survives...
Attached Files

HALF A HEART.mp3 (7.64 MB, 361 views)

Last edited by cjogo; 28th July 2020 at 04:27 AM..
Old 27th July 2020
Gear Head

Arrangement

Quote:
I thought this had some really good parts. I would have enjoyed it more with a more traditional arrangement.

I would have liked to hear the part at 0:51 come back in later with a stronger vocal. The "go to sleep friend" part could be pared down and used as a bridge then bring the original verse back in while crushing the vocals over that lead synth melody that is introduced at 0:42. That melody is the most memorable part of the song for me. Its the most catchy and interesting element.

Also, I know its a rough demo but, bring those vocals up in the mix. Let us hear the words.
Old 28th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I thought this had some really good parts. I would have enjoyed it more with a more traditional arrangement.

I would have liked to hear the part at 0:51 come back in later with a stronger vocal. The "go to sleep friend" part could be pared down and used as a bridge then bring the original verse back in while crushing the vocals over that lead synth melody that is introduced at 0:42. That melody is the most memorable part of the song for me. Its the most catchy and interesting element.

Also, I know its a rough demo but, bring those vocals up in the mix. Let us hear the words.
I've updated the soundcloud link with the new version - the final one. Check it out, if you like and thanks for the feedback
Old 28th July 2020

Another mix from the Personal album.
Piano, drums, strings and vocals.
I think I got the balance right but if anyone has any thoughts, criticisms please let me know.
Thanks
Old 31st July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

I think I got the balance right but if anyone has any thoughts, criticisms please let me know.
Thanks
My ear is missing lower tones, either left hand piano or bass guitar, or even cello. The piano sounds a little heavy to me in the 5-700 hz range on my phones which makes it sound louder to me when i think it's actually at the right level. Great lyrics IMHO
Old 31st July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64gtoboy View Post
My ear is missing lower tones, either left hand piano or bass guitar, or even cello. The piano sounds a little heavy to me in the 5-700 hz range on my phones which makes it sound louder to me when i think it's actually at the right level. Great lyrics IMHO
Thanks a lot for your feedback and for the suggestions.
I think a cello line is going to be a good addition, I keep hearing it in my mind when I listen to the track.
I suspect that the vocal is a tad thin and could do with a bit more beef in the lower mids too.
Glad you liked the lyrics.
Old 5th August 2020
Quote:

Thanks
What a cool song. Great lyrics and I'm super jealous of your vocal ability, you totally sold that song. To my ears the piano is way over compressed, I know it's going for that pop sensibility but I'd back off on it a bit and let the piano breathe, let those peaks through. Then there could be room for that cello or another bass instrument down there.

I don't really know how to follow that but here's a rock tune I've been working on that's at a stage I could use some constructive songwriting-oriented criticism on if the experts here have time, feels like it's missing something to me...
https://soundcloud.com/bkbirge/jrny/s-VGrdfbTk8WO
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Addict

Hey guys, here is a rough demo of a new song that I am currently working on. This of course still needs lots of work in all respects... but maybe let me know what you like/don't like about it as it is now? Your notes will help me finish it and extract its potential.. I'll be back working on it in a couple of days from now.

In its current stage this track is the shortest song I've ever written, and I reckon it will probably stay that way even after I've finished it properly. I wonder if that is kind of a trending thing in music right now? :-D

One thing I gotta say is that I don't think I've ever before been as satisfied with a "real" mic'd high gain rhythm guitar tone than I am with what I have here. I bought a used set of Celestion V60 speakers and put them in my 2x12 cab and run my 6505 head into it... and man I'm loving what the mic is picking up! The tone doesn't need a lot of processing to have the heavy 7string gtr sit in the mix in comparison to what I'm previously used to.. very happy with the purchase.
Attached Files

Feet in the Water 1st demo.mp3 (5.88 MB, 156 views)

📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear