The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your rough demos
Old 14th June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Haha.

If you can sync your Tascam with a DAW, then you could work mainly on the hardware but just dabble a bit on the DAW. Not sure how easy that would be though.
You mean like a Dabblers’ Audio Workstation?
I had a setup like that for years and you have to be super organised with archiving or it’s easy to lose parts and if the hardware fails you are frigged.
Better to have everything in one place, makes it easy to backup and transfer projects and recall projects even years later and on different computers.
Old 14th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
I'm with you Rocky...I don't use any kind of DAW, I'm still using an 8 track digital recorder (Tascam DP-03SD) it's pretty much an antique now.

I'd like to say it's because I like the limitations it imposes upon me, and that I have to work within that simple framework...but it is actually because I'm a thick, technophobic luddite.

My wife uses Magix 'Samplitude' and keeps telling me how much I would benefit if I did too...but I'm suspicious of anything that isn't difficult to carry from one room to the other.
Your wife is right- some sort of DAW would open up a whole range of possibilities and would probably be easier to work with. They are really not difficult to learn. I started with Cubase and then switched to Logic. I was able to start in both without reading the manual or watching any tutorials- that’s how easy it is to get started. They aren’t that different to what you are using now.
Old 14th June 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
I'm with you Rocky...I don't use any kind of DAW, I'm still using an 8 track digital recorder (Tascam DP-03SD) it's pretty much an antique now.

My wife uses Magix 'Samplitude' and keeps telling me how much I would benefit if I did too...but I'm suspicious of anything that isn't difficult to carry from one room to the other.
Studio One is straight forward, they also offer a free version.
Old 14th June 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
I always really liked Holding Back The Years. I get why you would find it boring, but I just think it's a good sad, emotional ballad.
OK, when I think of a song in that category I think of Ella Fitzgerald doing 'They Can't Take That Away From Me', It's like my movie test, is it better than Casablanca?
Old 14th June 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
The older versions are no longer up but I can probably take a stab at finding one that was at least close to what was up before the horns as I called that version "with horns" so the one before would be a good guess.

I find it quite interesting that a song you loved can go to one you don't even like with a few additions. I'm not sure that could happen to me. Think it could go from a song I loved to a song and now thing is ok. haha
Yes, I'm equally confused by my reaction, if I'm that inconstant it would be good to know cause I can just give up and drink ouzo for the rest of my life, hummm, maybe the better option anyway!
Old 14th June 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
OK, here is the older version, the one prior to the horn experiment (V7). https://soundcloud.com/kanewilliams-.../s-eWGw0AXMZ3D

Here is the current version, with strings etc. https://soundcloud.com/kanewilliams-.../s-7BxkIgbcdQ5
I like the older one better, I'm not crazy, or at least if I am it's the consistent sort I can work with, don't by stock in Ouzo. I like the more staccato guitar on the first and how it blends with the bass that seems less 'farty than the bass on the 2nd version. You have string fills on the first version that are easier to ignore creating very short rest spots for the listener, and the more complex (they are pretty) ones in the second suck too much out of me without providing a respite.

When I listen to the first one I can't help but rock back and forth like a crazy person, not so in the newer one as I can't seem to find the groove in that one.

Ok, just me but the newer one make me nervous and the earlier one makes me want to dance, and it is subtle as heck!

OK Does anyone else feel that?
Old 14th June 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolavine View Post
I like the older one better, I'm not crazy, or at least if I am it's the consistent sort I can work with, don't by stock in Ouzo. I like the more staccato guitar on the first and how it blends with the bass that seems less 'farty than the bass on the 2nd version. You have string fills on the first version that are easier to ignore creating very short rest spots for the listener, and the more complex (they are pretty) ones in the second suck too much out of me without providing a respite.

When I listen to the first one I can't help but rock back and forth like a crazy person, not so in the newer one as I can't seem to find the groove in that one.

Ok, just me but the newer one make me nervous and the earlier one makes me want to dance, and it is subtle as heck!

OK Does anyone else feel that?
All interesting stuff. The guitar is the same in both versions although I added an accompanying muted guitar in the second version, but only in a few places.

There are no strings in the first version.

The bass is the same patch, but I did do a bit more to it in the second version. I had some parallel stuff added, which I will check out to see if I also prefer the bass in the first version.

I think I may end up going with the second version but I will definitely take your comments onboard.
Old 14th June 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:

I'd like to say it's because I like the limitations it imposes upon me, and that I have to work within that simple framework...but it is actually because I'm a thick, technophobic luddite.

You do good stuff regardless of how!
The DAWs are amazing, for example I wanted to sing a high harmony part over my fake tenor (I'm an E Bass) and kept falling into that horrible sound in the transition from head to falsetto. In the daw I set up a recording loop for the chorus and sang over and over until I though I had it, then stopped and listened and repeated until I could stand the result. If I was waiting for perfect I'd still be at it. That's a nice trick, and it's how I'm doing all my harmony singing from now on. Now if I was a good singer I wouldn't need to do that, but I'm the only singer I've got.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.
Old 14th June 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
All interesting stuff. The guitar is the same in both versions although I added an accompanying muted guitar in the second version, but only in a few places.

There are no strings in the first version.

The bass is the same patch, but I did do a bit more to it in the second version. I had some parallel stuff added, which I will check out to see if I also prefer the bass in the first version.

I think I may end up going with the second version but I will definitely take your comments onboard.
OK, I got confused as I went back and forth in the versions, right no strings in the first version. I like the small semi quiet spots like at 1:40. 1:44 1:48 (could be off a bit I was taking notes) that you filled with strings in the latter version. I hear more staccato in the guitar on the first version. I'm looking for reasons but I simply can't find the grove in the 2nd version when I can't help but find it in the first, so I'm looking for why's, and I'm out of time now. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I still love that earlier version. I think it has something to do with the lack of holes in the latter.

Maybe someone else can help both of us figure out what is different.

editing to say: Maybe the more staccato guitar at the beginning sets the groove for me, I'm into it right from the get go on the earlier version. It would be great if others would listen to the two versions and comment, I'd love to hear their takes on it.

Thanks, Mr. Funk, at least I'm in wonder over this?
Old 14th June 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_r View Post
You should definitely check out the videos- I think you can get one month free trial to see if you like them.

I am also a hobbyist- I am a photographer but I like making and recording music and sound. My aim at the start was to try to record one album and I gave myself ten years to do it. Now I have scraped the time limit. I think I got much better at recording but I no longer like my writing so I need to work on this... but it is the journey that counts not simply getting there.
Thanks for the bio, well darn it I was thinking you were like the top mixer at eclectic esoteric hardware studios who would tell me all I need to do is add Wave's snake oil to my mixes, lol.
Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 View Post
This is one I started last night in response to the Michigan Floods.

"When the Dam Bursts"
Drums added. Vocals tuned.

Old 15th June 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:

I prefer the original, the auto tuned version sounds unnatural and distracting. The original has emotion.
Old 15th June 2020
Deleted f7717eb
Quote:

Hi -
Did you mean to hard correct the vox? I think this type of (what i perceive to be) hard correction doesn't fit with this style of tune. I know pop folks do this so you can intentionally hear it as an effect. Was that your intent?

For the drums, they are a bit clunky and monotonous. The biggest reason for that is that there is never a straight bass drum hitting on 1 and 3 in the whole tune. That very simple change, say to the chorus sections, would really assist in differentiating the very simple parts of the tune and help relieve the monotony created by the lagging "ands" throughout.

No worries - you can toss my comment away if you like. Just another internet opinion.

Stay safe
Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcmusic View Post
Hi -
Did you mean to hard correct the vox? I think this type of (what i perceive to be) hard correction doesn't fit with this style of tune. I know pop folks do this so you can intentionally hear it as an effect. Was that your intent?
The experiment of the day was to play the melody on keyboard, and use the MIDI to drive the tuning.

I can practice singing with it and try to hit the pitches better next try. I hope anyway!
Old 15th June 2020
Deleted f7717eb
Quote:
The experiment of the day was to play the melody on keyboard, and use the MIDI to drive the tuning.

I can practice singing with it and try to hit the pitches better next try. I hope anyway!
Ok, not sure I understood the original posting then.
My apologies.
Carry on....
Old 15th June 2020
Gear Head

LTO

Last edited by MyHatGuy; 1st July 2020 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: LTO
Old 15th June 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHatGuy View Post
For your critical analysis: Here is the basic skeleton of the last song in a cycle about a teenage runaway.

I'm not sure now if I cut out all the kick and snare parts or it is just really poorly mixed (potentially both!) Bass is also a hot mess and the whole thing is a bit on the quite side. I feel like it kind of drags and that I should bring the strings or synth back up for the second verse ("And even after all them . . . ").

Would appreciate it if any Spanish speakers can give the last two verses a listen and let me know how bad I butchered the language. I included the lyrics, which need a nice rewrite, here with what I was shooting for in English. Was I even close and how bad is the pronunciation?
https://soundcloud.com/v_beasts/back-to-sea-full
Did you intend it to have the strange timing variations it has? It has some good lyrics, I like the Spanish though I can't help you with that, and wonder if it would be better to just sing your English phrases or sing the English with, as you cut off a lot of folks, including myself, who won't get the best part of the song, the differing opinions of her. At times the music seems inappropriate for the subject too, like you just sort of slapped it together and started embedding the lyrics. It's got potential.
Old 15th June 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:

Did you think about putting some dam busting noises in there, or a musical building wave passage of water bursting free? I think that would add to the tune.
I didn't mind the auto tune, it was kind of interesting, but I think the other's are right about it and the drums.

I went and listened to "The Wreck of The Edmond Fitzgerald" as I love that tune as a distress story, in the general area like yours. I hadn't listened to it since I started trying to arrange my tunes with multiple instruments. It was amazing listening to all the guitar and synth noises in the wreck song covering up the strummed guitar that is the backbone. I no longer listen to normal songs the way I did 6 months ago, and can appreciate not just Gordon's great song and voice, but all the clever background noises that make it accessible. I can see now I need to work in smaller parts of my tunes and in subtler ways not push the same background all the way through because it is easier for me to do that. Even on a folk song like the wreck.

So, this is what happened to me because of listening to your tune.
Old 15th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm still using an 8 track digital recorder (Tascam DP-03SD) it's pretty much an antique now.
Not quite the antique my Tascam 788 has become. I just use it for recording tracks these days, while using my laptop for mixing.
Old 15th June 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHatGuy View Post
Did you intend it to have the strange timing variations it has? It has some good lyrics, I like the Spanish though I can't help you with that, and wonder if it would be better to just sing your English phrases or sing the English with, as you cut off a lot of folks, including myself, who won't get the best part of the song, the differing opinions of her. At times the music seems inappropriate for the subject too, like you just sort of slapped it together and started embedding the lyrics. It's got potential.
Thanks for giving it a listen. I'm starting to think I dumped most of the drums because they weren't with the "groove," which might explain some of the timing issues. Since I plan to rerecord all the parts, especially my ham-handed piano playing, consider this more a proof of concept. I also directly lifted the intro synth part from another song I was working on, so the timing is def a bit off there. Similar with the strings that follow.

The Spanish parts are me directly ripping off an idea from Dylan via Romance in Durango.

No llores, mi querida (don't cry my darling)
Dios nos vigila (God is watching over us)
Soon the horse will take us to Durango
Agarrame, mi vida (hold me, my love)
Soon the desert will be gone
Soon you will be dancing the fandango

As for the music not fitting the subject, that is very intentional. My goal here is for the listener to say, "oh that is nice," until they start to get the lyrics. Kind of like the theme song, actually most of the songs, on It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. Initially the first verse was supposed to set the scene of her turning a trick and started:
Deadbolt click clacks
It erects as she genuflects
Then its bed to backs
Handful of dollars for willful neglect
As Malin opens the door a crack

I couldn't get those lyrics to work out, probably because they are pretty half baked. As it stands, I feel the first verse is almost a throw away. Like I said, a good rewrite is in order for the lyrics.[/QUOTE]

OK, I love that Dylan tune, but the Spanish lines are not critical to getting what that song is about, it could have been la la la, while you are using the Spanish Lines to define the limits of your character as seen by others young and old so it's part of your character sketch.

And the nice - "wait a minute" on the music worked for me.
Old 20th June 2020
Scary Kids Scaring Kids - My Darkest Hour (Acoustic Cover)
https://youtu.be/lNbabn6g0dU

in retrospect, wish i had recorded it a little faster. regardless, i had fun.
thanks for listening,
bainmack
Old 20th June 2020
Deleted f7717eb
Quote:
Originally Posted by bainmack View Post

thanks for listening,
bainmack
Hi Bainmack
I'm not sure of your intention with this particular song and I confess I do not know the original version.
My initial thought is the acoustic guitar is extremely boring. It's played ok, just really uneventful.

Again....I do not know the original.
Old 22nd June 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:

thanks for listening,
bainmack
Well, done, you're good enough to make up your own tunes though. Felt the voice could come up a few DB or bring down the strummed cowboy chords on the guitar, as it was work to hear the words.
Old 23rd June 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Oh that's easy enough to answer. My lyrics from the last 6 months, or for that matter pretty much forever, reveal nothing about me because they're meaningless. They're just words thrown down on a piece of paper.

Now I'm no psychology major so I can't tell you what that says about me as a person but that's the reality. I've always said I hate writing lyrics. I've always said I'm terrible at writing lyrics. I'm finally, for the first time in my life, trying to get better at that. I think musically I'm fine. I don't need help there. But lyrics? Forget it. They stink.

I'm not sure if I've answered your question to your satisfaction but it's the best I can do and still be honest. My lyrics are meaningless.

Maybe that means I'm meaningless as well.
this is the basis for your lyrics for a great song.. I've spent quite a bit of time today reading and listening to all the post. You have plenty of depth, and something to say, people can relate to pain , frustration, personal growth, self-awareness, and facing challenges despite the hardships. This is a great thread, and I'm learning a lot of things just by reading an listening.
Old 25th June 2020
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcmusic View Post
Hi Bainmack
I'm not sure of your intention with this particular song and I confess I do not know the original version.
My initial thought is the acoustic guitar is extremely boring. It's played ok, just really uneventful.

Again....I do not know the original.
no worries! thanks for the feedback. I agree. everytime i listen to it now I think i should have sped it up or changed the strum. Also felt like i over-compressed it to oblivion. ahh live and learn.

Thanks for checking it out! appreciate it.
Old 25th June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolavine View Post
Well, done, you're good enough to make up your own tunes though. Felt the voice could come up a few DB or bring down the strummed cowboy chords on the guitar, as it was work to hear the words.
cool thank you! i kept listening on my mobile devices and vocals were always too loud. But always too soft on my other sources, so I shot for a compromise but still i tend to agree, the vocals could be brought up little more in front. Or maybe eq the guitars down a little somewhere. so much more to learn Thanks for your feedback! cheers
Old 25th June 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
cool thank you! i kept listening on my mobile devices and vocals were always too loud. But always too soft on my other sources, so I shot for a compromise but still i tend to agree, the vocals could be brought up little more in front. Or maybe eq the guitars down a little somewhere. so much more to learn Thanks for your feedback! cheers
imho maybe darken the guitar a bit more, pull some of the low mids out of the guitar also. That should let the vocals come out in the mix a bit. I kind of like the levels as is, I think the guitar is just so full that it's masking the vocals a bit.
Old 25th June 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
My comment was based on listening with a good pair of Grado Headphones on a laptop with a pretty good DAC, but I've had the same problem and feel your pain. Never monitor any song on a mobile speaker, Ok with headphones, maybe. I actually bought an LG phone as it was promoted as having an audiophile dac in it (V30). It works great for headphones but the mono built in speaker sucks, and when I plug it in to an amp the built in impedance adjustment circuit makes it sound so bad I have to turn off the fancy DACs features and go back to the standard sound.

I guess like most consumer goods, and much of music production gear, BS is what's in the product and utopia is what is claimed.
Old 12th July 2020
Lives for gear

I will post this on this thread (the one I usually post to) before I proceed to finish the track (I rarely finish tracks but this time it is a commision, albeit from my sister, so I have to deliver on time)-

Old 13th July 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_r View Post
I will post this on this thread (the one I usually post to) before I proceed to finish the track (I rarely finish tracks but this time it is a commision, albeit from my sister, so I have to deliver on time)-

I kind of love this, reminds me of a rhythm bed for Apples in Stereo and/or some of the loose but good feeling Adventure Time incidental soundtrack cuts.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear