The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your rough demos
Old 23rd May 2020
Thanks for the feedback all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
The constant starting and stopping is jarring and breaks up the flow of the song. The structure also seems to be all over the place making it very difficult to follow. If there is a chorus, I'm having trouble determining where it is because in between the starts and stops, everything seems to run together.
Yeah, this is a tough one as the start/stop is the point of the song (a play on two steps forward, one step back) but I do hear what you hear in terms of flow. There's probably a way to do this without hitting the listener over the head with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64gtoboy View Post
IMHO this is way too quirky to be Country, Alt or otherwise. "Inspired by" maybe, but to my ears this is a Flaming Lips type of song and could do well in that setting. I think you kinda missed country by a bit this time.
Haha, yeah, again probably right on the money there. Not a bad place to be and the guys I'm passing this off to are huge Flaming Lips fans, except I was personally trying to get to that country place with it. Well sometimes ya gotta let the song tell you what it wants to be instead of forcing it.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Old 23rd May 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbirge View Post
Hey all, been awhile but here's a song I've been working on because a friend casually asked if I listened to country music. It's more alt-country than country but looking for constructive criticism and ideas of where to take it...
The other comments are good but they presume you wanted to make a 'radio country tune, and that has no chance no matter how hard it's polished. But the tune about dancing a bit so.......

While the song is weird to listen to, it would be a good novelty tune for the thousands of country bands that play the elk and eagles lodges of the county where old people dance (I went to see a neighbors band twice in such a scene, wonderful to observe), as say a middle to end song, just to break up the dancing and get people laughing with the weird pauses, maybe have the lead player really ham it up like he's playing some Paganini, laughter helps people connect.

You took some big chances here, and made some strange decisions for reasons we don't know, very cool, and strange result.

Last edited by Rolavine; 23rd May 2020 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: removed typo
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey all, been awhile but here's a song I've been working on because a friend casually asked if I listened to country music. It's more alt-country than country but looking for constructive criticism and ideas of where to take it...
I really like this....I think it leans towards pre punk art rock as much as it does country, puts me in mind of The Modern Lovers, if it was mine I'd try and push it further in that direction.
Old 23rd May 2020
Quote:
Ha, I love it!
It is kind of Prog-Country. Very nicely done and unique.
The performance is very good and has a live feel without the horrible over quantised machine music I tend to hear so much of.
Mix is good, everything is in place and serving the whole.
I don’t think you need to change anything TBH.
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear
The song is now longer. Longer intro (wanted to try it). Also small break between first chorus and second verse now. I added horns, have they improved the track? Have they hurt it at all?

Still want to do something with chorus to make it more distinct. and I will try 1 or 2 bmp slower when I record vocals for real. I will also get a guitar or sax solo for the end break section, but I'm leaning towards guitar as it's less cheesy.

https://soundcloud.com/kanewilliams-.../s-7BxkIgbcdQ5
Old 23rd May 2020
Deleted f7717eb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
The song is now longer. Longer intro (wanted to try it). Also small break between first chorus and second verse now. I added horns, have they improved the track? Have they hurt it at all?

Still want to do something with chorus to make it more distinct. and I will try 1 or 2 bmp slower when I record vocals for real. I will also get a guitar or sax solo for the end break section, but I'm leaning towards guitar as it's less cheesy.

Hi Kane, hope all is well with you.
Thanks for posting.
Very briefly: I think it starts out very busy so it is hard to develop, hence the vocal can't really grab the listener. I think the easiest way to explain it is if you listen at the beginning and then listen at the end. Has the listener had a journey or had it been the same road for the duration?

Just my $0.02.
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Has a really nice feel...I keep hearing 'earth wind & fire' type brass stabs in the chorus, on the last three syllables of each line of lyrics ie "Close your eyes"..."Speak no spite"..."Be alright" etc.

My choice for a solo would be harmonica, always works for Stevie!
Old 23rd May 2020
Gear Head

Hi all,

This is my attempt to follow up an old idea as now I'm trying to focus more to songwriting/arrangement.

The song is in my native language, based on a poem by wifey/vocals about "ticket for riding a rainbow". The song follows an indie/dreamy/post-rock vibe, with walls of sound and texture.

Self critique:
1. I understand the importance of contrast in mixing, so I tried to provide one in a segment before the chorus (you call it a bridge, right?). I just don't feel exactly sure it's working nicely.
2. The bass is lame, since I'm still learning to program the bass, couldn't found the right sound and just fill it with a virtual Moog.
3. I also struggling to make the drums more connected to the song. Still relying from MIDI presets with simple editing.

Feel free to listen and comment!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mr...VeVW9tDTWc0JIc
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcmusic View Post
Hi Kane, hope all is well with you.
Thanks for posting.
Very briefly: I think it starts out very busy so it is hard to develop, hence the vocal can't really grab the listener. I think the easiest way to explain it is if you listen at the beginning and then listen at the end. Has the listener had a journey or had it been the same road for the duration?

Just my $0.02.
Hey thanks for that. I will try to simplify the top. Probably a good call! Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
Has a really nice feel...I keep hearing 'earth wind & fire' type brass stabs in the chorus, on the last three syllables of each line of lyrics ie "Close your eyes"..."Speak no spite"..."Be alright" etc.

My choice for a solo would be harmonica, always works for Stevie!
Yes, my original idea was to have stabs on those lines. I also intend to have at least 4 voices singing those lines too, so yes, I may very well add the horns there. Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Hi Kane:

Okay, here's what I did. First, I copied and pasted the lyrics into a word doc so I could follow along while I was playing it. I then opened up my Pianoteq so I could figure out the chords for each part, verse and chorus.

The verse is essentially this chord progression

Bm - F#m - Em - Bm

The chorus is essentially this chord progression

Bm

You do have that little riff between the sections of the chorus that goes...

Bm - F#m - G - Em

It helps, but not enough.

Here's the problem, and essentially drcmusic hit the nail on the head.

The overall harmonic progression along with the melody and rhythm are almost identical for both verse and chorus. There is very little variation. At least not enough to be noticeable. And that's with following along with the lyrics.

Also, looking at the lyrics and not looking at the title, I can't tell if the name of the song is "See No Evil" or "End Is Nigh". In fact, if I had to guess, I'd probably think the song is called "See No Evil." The chorus lyrically doesn't have anything that really stands out and screams "this is the chorus." In fact, without the lyrics in front of me, I wouldn't be able to tell where the verse ended and where the chorus began. Also, as drcmusic pointed out, the arrangement is so busy right out of the gate that there's no where for it to go.

The groove is fantastic. This is a talent I will never have. It's a gift. But I think your lack of music theory shows and it hurts your songs as far as maintaining interest.

So here's my question and suggestion.

Have you considered teaming up with a co-writer? No, I'm not suggesting myself. I mean somebody you know well, value their opinion and someone who really knows how to construct a catchy chorus and arrange a song so that it builds from verse to chorus. And of course someone in tune with this genre.

I enjoy listening to your stuff because you sing so well and your grooves are just so cool. I actually envy that talent of yours. But after I'm done listening to one of your tracks, I can't sing any of it because it all just flows together like a bowl of tomato soup. A chunk of hot dog inside would be so welcome.

If I didn't care, I wouldn't be this straight with you. You have amazing talent and with proper song construction and arrangement, you could do some incredible stuff that equals the great bands of the era who dominated this genre. I mean that sincerely.

As always, take these comments for what they mean to you. Ignore them if you wish. That's entirely up to you.

I wish you only the best, whatever you decide.

** EDIT ** Listen to the Climax Blues Band's "Couldn't Get It Right" and notice how they go from minor in the verse to major in the chorus. Just something simple like that would make your chorus stand out more.

Old 23rd May 2020
Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolavine View Post
The other comments are good but they presume you wanted to make a 'radio country tune, and that has no chance no matter how hard it's polished. But the tune about dancing a bit so.......

While the song is weird to listen to, it would be a good novelty tune for the thousands of country bands that play the elk and eagles lodges of the county where old people dance (I went to see a neighbors band twice in such a scene, wonderful to observe), as say a middle to end song, just to break up the dancing and get people laughing with the weird pauses, maybe have the lead player really ham it up like he's playing some Paganini, laughter helps people connect.
Yeah, country radio isn't what I was thinking, I'm not deluding myself thinking it's got pop appeal. But... I *do* want that authentic country twang and something-something that the radio stuff has lost. Your Paganini idea is right up my alley, while I was making those little breaks I was imagining a video that switched at that moment from a typical countryside setting to a baroque ball. I was going to fully arrange that little break for a small chamber ensemble and might still do that, you caught the flavor I wanted to go for there.

Quote:
I really like this....I think it leans towards pre punk art rock as much as it does country, puts me in mind of The Modern Lovers, if it was mine I'd try and push it further in that direction.
Ooh, cool comparison, thanks, love that group. That's another great suggestion to move it in that direction. That'd be more stripped down, maybe lose the violin and doubled acoustic parts, and amp up the room on the drums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
Ha, I love it!
It is kind of Prog-Country. Very nicely done and unique.
The performance is very good and has a live feel without the horrible over quantised machine music I tend to hear so much of.
Mix is good, everything is in place and serving the whole.
I don’t think you need to change anything TBH.
Thanks! Probably not going to get quantized sounding performances from me, even if I tried really hard, lol.

Again, thanks to everyone for the feedback both positive and negative!
Old 23rd May 2020
Quote:

I really like this track, very Jamiroquai. I like the horns but they kind of clash with the pad where they are. I might try losing the pad during those horn parts and that will help you develop more contrast throughout too. Also they need to come up, be featured a bit more, and maybe drop the guitar down a little, not too much, just enough so it's still doing the rhythm job but not in your face so much.

The 1st chorus seems twice as long as it needs to be, the last chorus is banging right on though, you got a little magic there for sure. There's a LOT going on in this track but it feels really good, I think mainly due to your amazing vocals.
Old 23rd May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackwingGabriel View Post
Hi all,

This is my attempt to follow up an old idea as now I'm trying to focus more to songwriting/arrangement.

The song is in my native language, based on a poem by wifey/vocals about "ticket for riding a rainbow". The song follows an indie/dreamy/post-rock vibe, with walls of sound and texture.

Self critique:
1. I understand the importance of contrast in mixing, so I tried to provide one in a segment before the chorus (you call it a bridge, right?). I just don't feel exactly sure it's working nicely.
2. The bass is lame, since I'm still learning to program the bass, couldn't found the right sound and just fill it with a virtual Moog.
3. I also struggling to make the drums more connected to the song. Still relying from MIDI presets with simple editing.

Feel free to listen and comment!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mr...VeVW9tDTWc0JIc
Can't get to the link for me, or at least the play part of it isn't working for me. Gave up after trying a few different things. Might be my security settings.
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
I really like this track, very Jamiroquai. I like the horns but they kind of clash with the pad where they are. I might try losing the pad during those horn parts and that will help you develop more contrast throughout too. Also they need to come up, be featured a bit more, and maybe drop the guitar down a little, not too much, just enough so it's still doing the rhythm job but not in your face so much.

The 1st chorus seems twice as long as it needs to be, the last chorus is banging right on though, you got a little magic there for sure. There's a LOT going on in this track but it feels really good, I think mainly due to your amazing vocals.
Thanks for the feedback.

The first verse is just the same length as the second, so not sure why it feels twice as long? lol

My partner has just told me I should lose the horns after I spent a big part of the day doing them. She thinks there is too much going on so maybe losing the pad during the horns is a good call. She also thinks they sound a bit fake, but to me they are not that fake sounding.

I will have to think about if I keep them or not, live with them for a while.

Here is the latest version with the horns in the chorus as suggested earlier.

Old 23rd May 2020
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.

The first verse is just the same length as the second, so not sure why it feels twice as long? lol

My partner has just told me I should lose the horns after I spent a big part of the day doing them. She thinks there is too much going on so maybe losing the pad during the horns is a good call. She also thinks they sound a bit fake, but to me they are not that fake sounding.

I will have to think about if I keep them or not, live with them for a while.

Here is the latest version with the horns in the chorus as suggested earlier.

I am not sure why people can’t hear the chorus, it’s perfectly obvious to me.
I don’t like the horns at all and I agree with Jo, they are not convincing and they just add too much to what is already a very busy track.
I still think it would work slower and with this kind of groove based track that is going to be critical for any arrangement decision as the whole feel could change even with a few bpm difference.
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear

^^^
We've all been there...torn between a horn section and our partner
Old 23rd May 2020
Quote:
^^^
What if the partner IS the horn section?
That could be a problem.
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi Kane:

Okay, here's what I did. First, I copied and pasted the lyrics into a word doc so I could follow along while I was playing it. I then opened up my Pianoteq so I could figure out the chords for each part, verse and chorus.

The verse is essentially this chord progression

Bm - F#m - Em - Bm

The chorus is essentially this chord progression

Bm

You do have that little riff between the sections of the chorus that goes...

Bm - F#m - G - Em

It helps, but not enough.

Here's the problem, and essentially drcmusic hit the nail on the head.

The overall harmonic progression along with the melody and rhythm are almost identical for both verse and chorus. There is very little variation. At least not enough to be noticeable. And that's with following along with the lyrics.

Also, looking at the lyrics and not looking at the title, I can't tell if the name of the song is "See No Evil" or "End Is Nigh". In fact, if I had to guess, I'd probably think the song is called "See No Evil." The chorus lyrically doesn't have anything that really stands out and screams "this is the chorus." In fact, without the lyrics in front of me, I wouldn't be able to tell where the verse ended and where the chorus began. Also, as drcmusic pointed out, the arrangement is so busy right out of the gate that there's no where for it to go.

The groove is fantastic. This is a talent I will never have. It's a gift. But I think your lack of music theory shows and it hurts your songs as far as maintaining interest.

So here's my question and suggestion.

Have you considered teaming up with a co-writer? No, I'm not suggesting myself. I mean somebody you know well, value their opinion and someone who really knows how to construct a catchy chorus and arrange a song so that it builds from verse to chorus. And of course someone in tune with this genre.

I enjoy listening to your stuff because you sing so well and your grooves are just so cool. I actually envy that talent of yours. But after I'm done listening to one of your tracks, I can't sing any of it because it all just flows together like a bowl of tomato soup. A chunk of hot dog inside would be so welcome.

If I didn't care, I wouldn't be this straight with you. You have amazing talent and with proper song construction and arrangement, you could do some incredible stuff that equals the great bands of the era who dominated this genre. I mean that sincerely.

As always, take these comments for what they mean to you. Ignore them if you wish. That's entirely up to you.

I wish you only the best, whatever you decide.

** EDIT ** Listen to the Climax Blues Band's "Couldn't Get It Right" and notice how they go from minor in the verse to major in the chorus. Just something simple like that would make your chorus stand out more.

Thanks Wag.

I had actually thought of trying to have the chorus in a different key. Any suggestions which key I would be good to modulate to if I did want to try that? Would I be better just “crashing” into a new key (and back) or use pivot chords? I could try going to major I guess but I think that may not work tonally.

I would love to work with a producer/writing partner who really gets the genre and in fact would enable me to make tracks that are much better, but finding that said person who would simply want to team up (rather than me hiring them) I think would be a tall order.
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
^^^
Haha
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
I am not sure why people can’t hear the chorus, it’s perfectly obvious to me.
I don’t like the horns at all and I agree with Jo, they are not convincing and they just add too much to what is already a very busy track.
I still think it would work slower and with this kind of groove based track that is going to be critical for any arrangement decision as the whole feel could change even with a few bpm difference.
If I lose the horns, I would probably add some synth “brass” for the stabs/accents In the chorus as I always intended to accent those “drive all night” etc syllables.

I also find it odd when people can’t hear the chorus. I do realistic that harmonically The chorus goes nowhere but every single track does get altered in the chorus. I am going to try to make the chorus more distinct though.

I will slow this down as well.
Old 23rd May 2020
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.

I understand, I just meant it felt twice as long as needed there whereas the backend chorus benefits from the full length.
Old 23rd May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Wag.

I had actually thought of trying to have the chorus in a different key. Any suggestions which key I would be good to modulate to if I did want to try that? Would I be better just “crashing” into a new key (and back) or use pivot chords? I could try going to major I guess but I think that may not work tonally.

I would love to work with a producer/writing partner who really gets the genre and in fact would enable me to make tracks that are much better, but finding that said person who would simply want to team up (rather than me hiring them) I think would be a tall order.
I'd have to listen to the song for days so that I knew it inside and out. Then I could get a feel for where it could go and make it stand out more.

FWIW, the genre thing is really more about arrangement (instrumentation). But songwriting is songwriting. That's why somebody can do a country song and somebody else can take that same song and turn it into punk rock. Look what Johnny Cash did with Nine Inch Nails "Hurt". Even Trent Reznor said that song was no longer his but Cash's.

If you like, I can record some ideas for the chorus and send them to you but it'll take me a while. I really have to learn the song well.
Old 23rd May 2020
Quote:
If I lose the horns, I would probably add some synth “brass” for the stabs/accents In the chorus as I always intended to accent those “drive all night” etc syllables.

I also find it odd when people can’t hear the chorus. I do realistic that harmonically The chorus goes nowhere but every single track does get altered in the chorus. I am going to try to make the chorus more distinct though.

I will slow this down as well.
You could try stacking harmony vocals instead of horns.
Old 24th May 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'd have to listen to the song for days so that I knew it inside and out. Then I could get a feel for where it could go and make it stand out more.

FWIW, the genre thing is really more about arrangement (instrumentation). But songwriting is songwriting. That's why somebody can do a country song and somebody else can take that same song and turn it into punk rock. Look what Johnny Cash did with Nine Inch Nails "Hurt". Even Trent Reznor said that song was no longer his but Cash's.

If you like, I can record some ideas for the chorus and send them to you but it'll take me a while. I really have to learn the song well.
If you want to Wag, that’s cool by me, but I would feel a bit awkward if I didn’t use any of your ideas.
Old 24th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you want to Wag, that’s cool by me, but I would feel a bit awkward if I didn’t use any of your ideas.
Don't be ridiculous. You know how much I love doing this stuff. If I can be of assistance, great. And if not, it gave me something to do for a week or two.

When I have something I'll PM you privately and give you a link to my Soundcloud account to listen to it. I don't want to intrude here.
Old 24th May 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:

Very Cool, The production and changes are on point! Really dug it!

J
Old 24th May 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Doucet View Post
Very Cool, The production and changes are on point! Really dug it!

J
Thanks J. I had a very honest and condemning assessment of the horns from my Russian composer friend. With my partner Ho and Z thinking are crap too, I think I am going to lose the horns and I may also lose or replace one of the “analogue” synth parts that I think may be surplus you requirements too. I may put something else in a couple of the places though as I felt they help direct the changes, but may be not. I may PM you a version without the horns etc and see if you still think the changes work.

Here is what my friend said about the horns. Definitely appreciate his candor.

Well......I don't wanna be hmm.....cruel...so, no offence.....I know how much time and effort you've spent with the brass......but.....they sound .....hmmm.....weird (I'm using the polite form). Honestly, the brass moves the song a step down, they don't match and sound like a cheap yamaha psr auto accompaniment. Only one phrase is....lets say....ok, but other licks are .....so sorry....not good. I'm sorry to tell you.?
Old 24th May 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:

I like this version better, it's really a great song, and well done, much better than anything I know how to do. It's like a lesson in funky disco music cause it has such a strong, light, just fun groove to it.

I listened close to the chorus, and musically I think it's different enough, but I suspect that funky disco groove underlying it, not being very different prevents 'lift off' for the chorus? I know it does change slightly in the beats, but the tone stayed the same........
an abstraction: I can, in mind, actually see the dancing feet, I used to love to dance, but I see them planting their feet the same way they did for the verse maybe with just a knee to the right.

Don't know if that helps at all, as it is it is still an amazing accomplishment, kind of perfect, great vocal work, so many talented people in here making crazy good music.
Old 24th May 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolavine View Post
I like this version better, it's really a great song, and well done, much better than anything I know how to do. It's like a lesson in funky disco music cause it has such a strong, light, just fun groove to it.

I listened close to the chorus, and musically I think it's different enough, but I suspect that funky disco groove underlying it, not being very different prevents 'lift off' for the chorus? I know it does change slightly in the beats, but the tone stayed the same........
an abstraction: I can, in mind, actually see the dancing feet, I used to love to dance, but I see them planting their feet the same way they did for the verse maybe with just a knee to the right.

Don't know if that helps at all, as it is it is still an amazing accomplishment, kind of perfect, great vocal work, so many talented people in here making crazy good music.
Thanks again. I’ve now taken horns out! Added some strings and a few other small changes. I’m going to try to switch out a few patches for better ones too.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear