The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your rough demos
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Whether it's post-production or music mixing, the principle's the same -- the new thing gets noticed. It's easy to make the new thing too loud, and if you do, you take the listener out of the moment and you have effed up. Not too many "rules" in mixing, but that's a pretty big one.
Definitely.....I don't know what it is about it, is it because it's too dry? too close?or just too loud?.....Whatever, it seems to sit awkwardly with the mix.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
Definitely.....I don't know what it is about it, is it because it's too dry? too close?or just too loud?.....Whatever, it seems to sit awkwardly with the mix.
I think it’s a bit of all three. It’s easily fixed though.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Too loud.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Here's number seven . Maybe the most obscure song of the bunch, but you'll know it if you're a Johnny Mathis fan. Which you're probably not. So that's the first half.
Another one that is very nicely done, Brent. Perhaps obscure for some, but I recall Johnny Mathis' hit from the 1950s and Nat King Cole recorded it back then as well.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Another electronic track for you all.
The official dance for this is to run around with your arms outstretched pretending to be an airplane.
(Mind the furniture!).
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post

Another electronic track for you all.
The official dance for this is to run around with your arms outstretched pretending to be an airplane.
(Mind the furniture!).
Super cool groove on this one. Shades of Giorgio Moroder. Have to admit I didn't like the abrupt ending but other than that, awesome stuff.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Super cool groove on this one. Shades of Giorgio Moroder. Have to admit I didn't like the abrupt ending but other than that, awesome stuff.
Thanks Wags.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I think this emphasizes the importance of vu meters. That Vo would visually jump off the deep end of the meter!

Quote:
Here's round six, Duke Ellington. Eight to go.
Right click>Save audio as...

Quote:
Here's number seven . Maybe the most obscure song of the bunch, but you'll know it if you're a Johnny Mathis fan. Which you're probably not. So that's the first half.
The guitar on this one has too much woof.
Attached Files

Where Apple Blossoms Glow.mp3 (5.71 MB, 314 views)

Last edited by IGotWorms; 1 day ago at 09:33 AM..
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

We've Only Just Begun - written by the Carpenters

Vincent Fossett, Jr. on Drums and Tambourine.

I'm playing bass, guitar, and singing. Oh, and I played the keys.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotWorms View Post
The guitar on this one has way too much woof.
Thanks, I'll look into it.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Around the house, I tend to kill time on the couch working out old standards. So my wife says, "I want a CD of those to play in the car. Nothing fancy, and don't get all precious about it."

So that's what I did, just me and the guitar on the couch. They're not really "rough demos" or "finished demos" because they're not demos, they're just simple recordings. I'm gonna post one a day for the next two weeks.
A week down, a week to go. Here's number eight.
Attached Files

08 Ain't Misbehavin'.mp3 (6.33 MB, 291 views)

Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

A tune from many years ago, but perhaps more poignant in these times:
https://soundcloud.com/user-56643446...inal-more-bass
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey, a song I know. Love the delivery on this one. Sounds like you had fun with it.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hey, a song I know. Love the delivery on this one. Sounds like you had fun with it.
Thanks!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

This one is an angry thrashing, spitting electronic punk track. Good for releasing all that built up frustration.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

This one is an angry thrashing, spitting electronic punk track. Good for releasing all that built up frustration.
Nice steady build throughout until it finally dies down at the end.

Well done.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice steady build throughout until it finally dies down at the end.

Well done.
Thanks again Wag.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Nicely done, Brent.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
Added as per request
I think it's a lot better. I liked the ship noises. I couldn't make out all the words but I'm heading toward deaf. I thought the dissonant part was good, and you changed instrumentation on it, but it still seemed repetitive.

What I learned from that, if you have a part that stands out because it's unusal (like your dissonance) it will draw attention requiring the sort of extra cream filling that attention deserves. Maybe alter at least one of the notes in that part each time? You want to keep the attention but not be annoying or seem contriving.

But what do I know!
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
This one was a real hoot to do. Obvious genre spoof. Hope you like it.

It's very well done, and funny, though I'm not sure I really got the joke. Was this a reference to DEVO? I thought the words told the story at a pace to fill the song, not the song being paced to fill the words, but you worked that into the structure of slow change between verses, sort of the 'This Old Man' model.

What I learned from it, how to nail it in 3:30.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Bird View Post
https://soundcloud.com/pigeon-city/8...v-on-fl-studio
80s cheese in its finest.
I tried to look for gated drums but i couldn’t find any.
You nailed the cheese.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolavine View Post
It's very well done, and funny, though I'm not sure I really got the joke. Was this a reference to DEVO? I thought the words told the story at a pace to fill the song, not the song being paced to fill the words, but you worked that into the structure of slow change between verses, sort of the 'This Old Man' model.

What I learned from it, how to nail it in 3:30.
Actually, it's a spoof on the techno genre, though it could also be a tip of the cap to Devo (Are We Not Devo) or Gary Nuaman with the Polymoog at the end. As far as fitting words to music or music to words, I don't know, it just kind of wrote itself. This is one of those songs that just came together.

Anyway, thanks for the listen and the feedback. Much appreciated.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolavine View Post
I think it's a lot better. I liked the ship noises. I couldn't make out all the words but I'm heading toward deaf. I thought the dissonant part was good, and you changed instrumentation on it, but it still seemed repetitive.

What I learned from that, if you have a part that stands out because it's unusal (like your dissonance) it will draw attention requiring the sort of extra cream filling that attention deserves. Maybe alter at least one of the notes in that part each time? You want to keep the attention but not be annoying or seem contriving.

But what do I know!
Ship noises from our Kurzweil samples .... will see if I can revisit -- guitar is permanent -- but , I can alter a string note

thanks
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Don’t just sit there, “Move You”!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Don’t just sit there, “Move You”!
Wow, what a treat. Two tracks in one day. You're gonna spoil me. Right now, the more music the better. It's kind of dead around the world and not much to do around my place but sit in front of the computer.

Anyway, great job. My only small gripe (very small) is I wish you had let loose with a Keith Emerson like lead on this. The top lines were kind of slow moving. I know the track's done and I don't expect you to change anything, but that would have put this over the top for me because the rest was super cool. Love the synth sounds on this.

No need to thank me. Just keep the music coming.

That goes for everybody. We need lots of music now.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
[...] though it could also be a tip of the cap to Devo (Are We Not Devo) or Gary Nuaman [...]
Q: Are We Not Men?
A: We Are Devo!

* Gary Numan ✔
Old 23 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss View Post
Q: Are We Not Men?
A: We Are Devo!

* Gary Numan ✔
Thank you for correcting all my errors. How did I ever get through life being so stupid?
Old 22 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you for correcting all my errors. How did I ever get through life being so stupid?
The same way we all do: the kindness of others.
Old 21 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The same way we all do: the kindness of others.
Thanks. Hey, I hope you'll be posting another instrumental today. I'm really enjoying these. Side of you I never knew.
Old 21 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Your sincerity is so overwhelming,
I just can't help getting all teary-eyed.

~HW

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search