The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your rough demos
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This one was a real hoot to do. Obvious genre spoof. Hope you like it.

Are We Not Tikno

Are we not Tikno

Robots are marching
See them marching along
See them in their cars now
Cars now

Robots are singing
Hear them singing their song
Hear them in the bars now
Bars now

They will take over us all
Just beware or you just might fall
The gods they call
Are we not Tikno

Robots are plotting
See them plotting up late
See them in their domes now
Domes now

Robots are scheming
See them scheming our fate
See them in their homes now
Homes now

Repeat Chorus

Tikno...Is there no place to go
Oh I just don't know
The end it won't come slow
Are we not Tikno

Instrumental Break

Robots are winning
See them winning the war
See them in their tanks now
Tanks now
Robots are grinning
See them grinning some more
See them saying thanks now
Thanks now

Repeat Chorus

Tikno
Tikno

Are we not Tikno

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
A 7 minute song that didn't feel like 7 minutes. Nice beat and breakdowns on this one. Musically, reminds me of some old Italo Disco except the beat doesn't quite fit that genre. So it's kind of a hybrid thing. Very well done. Enjoyed it from beginning to end.
Thanks. The rhythm is influenced by Spanish music and the main rhythm instrument is the Cajon which is commonly used in traditional Spanish and Latin music.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
Maybe will revisit and add some BGV /oohs >> thanks for listening

Been using the Pitch Harp for sometime now --- just that perfect warmer sound

Added as per request
Attached Files

MYSTERY SHIP org.mp3 (3.37 MB, 401 views)

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotWorms View Post
and....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Here's number five. Nine to go.
I've been doin' me some quality homegrown listening!!!

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
This one was a real hoot to do. Obvious genre spoof. Hope you like it...
I got a real Gary Numan vibe from this one, and i think with a pad side chained to the bass beat and some more bottom end in the vocals it would be very close indeed. Cool lyrical idea.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
For some reason i get the feeling this would be fun to genre bend into a heavy metal tune
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64gtoboy View Post
I got a real Gary Numan vibe from this one, and i think with a pad side chained to the bass beat and some more bottom end in the vocals it would be very close indeed. Cool lyrical idea.
Thanks. Glad you liked it. I'm not a big fan of that side chained pad stuff. In fact, at this point after hearing a gazillion songs with it, I avoid it at all costs. As for the bottom end to the vocals, my voice doesn't fair well processed that way. It tends to muddy the low mids so I make a conscientious effort to eliminate it. I think my voice sounds much better like that.
Old 1 week ago
Title Making

Do you guys put much effort in to your titles?
I stopped...as I think he integrity of a song's title as waned over the years (just like the concept of album rock. If I had to truly label my genre it would be Album EDM...so lots of Electric Trap, Electric Funk, Tekno...etc. but with the context. I also record until I feel like stopping. Meaning I have a lot of long songs because, well....

What I m unablr to do is say: 'I'm gonna make a DnB Hardcore beat vs Ambiance....as I learned many years ago to go with the flow/manage your strengths control your weakness/blah blah

It usually takes me a good 10 seconds to realize where I want to go with a song. "Oh, this is some [whatever it is] is what I think and this is when I say "Oh, this is a great start to a.....I'm playing House....it's more B-Club than Deep, so....."and I do that."

I finally learned out to play the theme song to Barney Miller on my bass station, the Korg Monologue. It's mean AF. I need to fit that in to a beat soon.

I always namy my songs after I play them. This one just feel's like the corona virus, eh? It's not 'end of the world'...there is trepidation, etc. What I love most is making the music I want to hear (i.e play what I want). Second is when I can trully express myself via the beat.

Old 1 week ago
https://soundcloud.com/pigeon-city/8...v-on-fl-studio
80s cheese in its finest.
I tried to look for gated drums but i couldn’t find any.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Around the house, I tend to kill time on the couch working out old standards. So my wife says, "I want a CD of those to play in the car. Nothing fancy, and don't get all precious about it."

So that's what I did, just me and the guitar on the couch. They're not really "rough demos" or "finished demos" because they're not demos, they're just simple recordings. I'm gonna post one a day for the next two weeks.
Here's round six, Duke Ellington. Eight to go.
Attached Files
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Never heard this one either. Of course I was never a big fan of his. Probably can't name one song he's done.

Anyway, sounds good to me especially since I have nothing to compare it to.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Never heard this one either. Of course I was never a big fan of his. Probably can't name one song he's done.

Anyway, sounds good to me especially since I have nothing to compare it to.
Appreciate the kind(ish) words from you as always, Steven. Your unique perspective makes your insights that much more valuable.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Appreciate the kind(ish) words from you as always, Steven. Your unique perspective makes your insights that much more valuable.
As you are obviously doing the "unplugged" versions of these songs, I'd someday like to hear (if possible) a full blown arrangement for each one complete with horns, strings, drums, whatever. I think, with your voice, they would be quite something.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Attached Files

Hurrah For the West.mp3 (4.19 MB, 242 views)

Last edited by IGotWorms; 1 week ago at 09:34 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, those are certainly different kind of lyrics.
Old 1 week ago
Hi guys,

Two genres I've not played much of are below:

1. 80's Indie (for a lack of a better description). I just named it an XTC type beat. Here, I was trying to go for the sounds of XTC, Gang of Four, he Smiths, Pschidelic Furs, Depche Mode, the Cure, etc.

I should note, above are "What are the bands I was never in to". Ha ha. I just wasn't. I was listening to the likes of Rush, Yes, Jethro Tull...real prog rock.

Still, I closed my eyes, and put myself back in the Starck..and got on it.

The second is DnB, which I have a love hate relationship with. If you get a good DnB beat it's a go. But so many are just...blah--so can't really call myself a fan.

I like how this one turned out...and it was an intense 6+ min, trust me....but would love to hear from you cats who are truly in to DnB and see if I've captured something.

Thanks!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKaBitchBeats View Post
Hi guys,

Two genres I've not played much of are below:

1. 80's Indie (for a lack of a better description). I just named it an XTC type beat. Here, I was trying to go for the sounds of XTC, Gang of Four, he Smiths, Pschidelic Furs, Depche Mode, the Cure, etc.

I should note, above are "What are the bands I was never in to". Ha ha. I just wasn't. I was listening to the likes of Rush, Yes, Jethro Tull...real prog rock.

Still, I closed my eyes, and put myself back in the Starck..and got on it.

The second is DnB, which I have a love hate relationship with. If you get a good DnB beat it's a go. But so many are just...blah--so can't really call myself a fan.

I like how this one turned out...and it was an intense 6+ min, trust me....but would love to hear from you cats who are truly in to DnB and see if I've captured something.

Thanks!!
Okay, here goes.

I didn't listen to the DnB beat because I'm not really into it, so my feedback would be meaningless. I'm not sure how many DnB people are even here as I've yet to find one DnB track posted in the years I've been here. So you may not get much feedback on it.

As for the XTC, GoF, Smiths, Furs, Mode beat, here's the thing (and I've been a fan of all their music except GoF for years) a beat by itself really doesn't define these groups. If you listen to their catalog (pick any group) you'll note that their songs actually have quite a large range of "beats". What ultimately defines their sound comes down to 3 things.

1. Production
2. Vocals
3. Sound Pallet

So while the beat you posted certainly could make a decent foundation for any of these groups (or just about any group for that matter) it doesn't really give me the feeling of any group or subset of groups in particular.

In other words, it's essentially neutral and neither succeeds or fails in conveying the desired result.

Unfortunately, that's the best answer I can give you. What you end up with will come down to what you do with the 3 points above.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
You don't disappoint, Brent. Another one that's well done.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Did this track with my wife some time ago, a film student used it to accompany his video,which consequently was used to raise awareness of 'Crisis' a homeless charity in the UK.....I quite like the editing job he did, the original demo was far too long!

https://youtu.be/tmar1kHrwbA

edit: The voice over at the end isn't me BTW....it gave me a start the first time I heard it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
Did this track with my wife some time ago, a film student used it to accompany his video,which consequently was used to raise awareness of 'Crisis' a homeless charity in the UK.....I quite like the editing job he did, the original demo was far too long!

https://youtu.be/tmar1kHrwbA

edit: The voice over at the end isn't me BTW....it gave me a start the first time I heard it.
Very well done all the way around.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Did this track with my wife some time ago...
Really nice. Great piece all around.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Really nice. Great piece all around.
Thanks Brent, very kind.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Very well done all the way around.
Thanks Wag.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I'll catch up on some listening and feedback tomorrow. I started a new song today called Lockdown. Inspired by the situation we currently find ourselves in, although it's not a negative song or actually about Covid19, but it it using the quarantine in a metaphorical sense.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
I'll catch up on some listening and feedback tomorrow. I started a new song today called Lockdown. Inspired by the situation we currently find ourselves in, although it's not a negative song or actually about Covid19, but it it using the quarantine in a metaphorical sense.
Can't wait to hear it Kane. Always look forward to new songs by you, especially now with so little to do around here with the lockdown.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I thought that was a very nice song. I liked everything about it. The ambience was so nice. I liked the video as well, although the voice at the end startled me, too. My fault for not having read your edit note yet.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
I thought that was a very nice song. I liked everything about it. The ambience was so nice. I liked the video as well, although the voice at the end startled me, too. My fault for not having read your edit note yet.
Thanks Seattle.....yes, that voice over really leaps out doesn't it!....he has good diction though.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
... that voice over really leaps out doesn't it!
Whether it's post-production or music mixing, the principle's the same -- the new thing gets noticed. It's easy to make the new thing too loud, and if you do, you take the listener out of the moment and you have effed up. Not too many "rules" in mixing, but that's a pretty big one.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Around the house, I tend to kill time on the couch working out old standards. So my wife says, "I want a CD of those to play in the car. Nothing fancy, and don't get all precious about it."

So that's what I did, just me and the guitar on the couch. They're not really "rough demos" or "finished demos" because they're not demos, they're just simple recordings. I'm gonna post one a day for the next two weeks.
Here's number seven . Maybe the most obscure song of the bunch, but you'll know it if you're a Johnny Mathis fan. Which you're probably not. So that's the first half.
Attached Files

07 When Sunny Gets Blue.mp3 (5.84 MB, 189 views)

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Whether it's post-production or music mixing, the principle's the same -- the new thing gets noticed. It's easy to make the new thing too loud, and if you do, you take the listener out of the moment and you have effed up. Not too many "rules" in mixing, but that's a pretty big one.
Definitely.....I don't know what it is about it, is it because it's too dry? too close?or just too loud?.....Whatever, it seems to sit awkwardly with the mix.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search