The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your rough demos
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss View Post
Your song sounds just like this one.

Actually, it doesn't. But it's late now and I'm going to bed but tomorrow I will post a detailed analysis of the melody of each song so you can see they're nothing alike.
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Actually, it doesn't. But it's late now and I'm going to bed but tomorrow I will post a detailed analysis of the melody of each song so you can see they're nothing alike.
You do not have to analyse both songs in order to prove to me that they do not have anything in common, you are not on trial for plagiarism; it is only my opinion. Now, if more people "feel" like I do....it just means that we hear differently than you.

If you can't "feel" the obvious similarities by now, you will never hear them.

Haven't you ever borrowed 'chord progressions' from your favorite songs???
It is ok if you do as this procedure seems to be acceptable by many; nothing to be ashamed about it.

Cheers,
~HW
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss View Post
You do not have to analyse both songs in order to prove to me that they do not have anything in common, you are not on trial for plagiarism; it is only my opinion. Now, if more people "feel" like I do....it just means that we hear differently than you.

If you can't "feel" the obvious similarities by now, you will never hear them.

Haven't you ever borrowed 'chord progressions' from your favorite songs???
It is ok if you do as this procedure seems to be acceptable by many; nothing to be ashamed about it.

Cheers,
~HW
I'm actually glad you posted. Similarities? Yes. Just like thousands of songs have similarities to thousands of other songs. However, you used the words "sounds JUST like" which implies to me that I ripped off the song note for note. That is what I took issue with.

FWIW, when I wrote this song, Suspicious Minds wasn't even in the back of my mind. I haven't thought about that song in 50 years, just like the other 10s of thousands of songs I've heard in my life over the course of the 56 years I've been listening to music. I am sure that if one dug deep enough, they could find at least one song out there that has similarities to every song I've ever written.

So far, out of the many comments I've received on this song (not here of course) nobody yet has pointed out the Suspicious Minds similarities. But then again the people who have commented so far probably don't listen to Elvis Presley based on their taste in music in general. So it's probably not a valid observation.

As for borrowing chord progressions, that's a subject too long to get into. There are only so many chord progressions that are popular. If I go from G to C to D, as in this song, which of the millions of songs that use that same progression did I borrow the progression from?

Kind of makes it a useless point. It's almost impossible NOT to borrow a chord progression from somewhere.
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
Final version of "There'll be Unicorns"

The vocals are too low for me to make out many of the words, the piano is masking them. I actually think rather than simply turning up the vox, i would EQ them as they are a little muffled. try a boost around 5k and may be more air up higher.
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
17th track from my upcoming CD "2020"

Timely Exit

I'm caught in the middle
There's no escape
There's too many voices
Too much on my plate
So I gotta make a timely exit

One girl is crazy
The other insane
Put 'em together
And it hurts my brain
My life is a circus
On a high wire
Gotta do something
Before I expire

Don't know how I got
Into this state
But it's got to end
Before it's too late

So this is it now
Time for me to decide
Two girls to let love me
Or else go and hide
Gotta make a decision
Gotta do it real fast
If I don't make the right one
No way I can last

I do hear a bit of Suspicious Minds in there, but it reminds me more of 80's bands and actually The Lightening Seeds Pure & Simple.

I think you need the vocals and drums to cut through more.
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
I do hear a bit of Suspicious Minds in there, but it reminds me more of 80's bands and actually The Lightening Seeds Pure & Simple.

I think you need the vocals and drums to cut through more.
The vocals were purposely mixed low in the mix as were the drums. I was going for a certain sound and got it exactly as I wanted it, which was very difficult to do with all that's going on in this track. In fact, I'm quite proud of this mix as I had to go through a lot of gymnastics to get it like it is. Hours and hours of tweaking, side chaining, automation, dynamic EQ and tons of other stuff.

Sometimes we need to make an artistic choice and stand by our convictions.

Thanks for the listen and the feedback.
Old 26th February 2020
Gear Head

Last edited by IGotWorms; 3 weeks ago at 07:39 PM..
Old 26th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotWorms View Post
Maybe you're in the experimental stages still but the vocals are too far back for me to hear the lyrical content. When I listen to James Brown I hear every word loud and clear. Maybe some compression work to get the meter on the vocal channel to ride -18(or whatever you consider 100%)? Nice song though, I like the genre and mood.
Thanks for listening and the feedback. The vocals are scratch vocals so I’ve not spent much time on them.
Old 26th February 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
The vocals are too low for me to make out many of the words, the piano is masking them. I actually think rather than simply turning up the vox, i would EQ them as they are a little muffled. try a boost around 5k and may be more air up higher.
If you're talking about the lullaby I posted, I'll pass it on because I respect your opinion. I'm surprised, though, as the vocal track and mix has gotten past a number of good ears without that kind of comment being said.
Old 26th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
https://soundcloud.com/kanewilliams-...mo-mp3/s-eX2L4

Hi Mr Funk, think you did a great job on this song.....just me personally (and perhaps some of the ladies on the dancefloor) would need you to put back those kickdrums on the 1 and 3. Most of the time that is, as long as you keep the groove and the folks on the dancefloor moving
No just here and there that normal kick on 1/3 would be more pleasing, relaxing imo.
That's what you get calling yourself Mr Funk But great stuff
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear
Hear you Calling!

Just came up with this and Im fleshing it out.. rough mix guitar solos are placeholders for sure.. Im thinking outlaws on this one

Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoggin View Post
Just came up with this and Im fleshing it out.. rough mix guitar solos are placeholders for sure.. Im thinking outlaws on this one

Sounds good so far. Keep us posted on your progress. Definitely Outlaws.
Old 27th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoggin View Post

great stuff.....just an idea, to put an organ or simular in there too....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WsfA24pIzQ
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear
Hey there! thanks for taking a listen. I do have organ in there ! But I’m just a beginner on organ. So I’m just using it for pads mostly. Can’t rip out a gnarly Hammond solo. Yet

I have ambitions though! It’s a real Hammond A101 and Leslie 122 from 61

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjiens View Post
great stuff.....just an idea, to put an organ or simular in there too....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WsfA24pIzQ
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I use MODO Drums when I can, though it can be a real CPU hog. They are probably the most versatile acoustic drums out there but comes at a steep price as far as processing power. When using them isn't an option (too many tracks) I use several excellent libraries that comes with Komplete for Kontakt such as Abbey Road 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s.

I also have an amazing sample collection taken from the greatest drum machines of all time. I don't remember the site (it's been a while) but it's by donation only. He will then email you a link to the files.

To give you an example, I used to own an Alesis D4, which at the time was about the best drums out there. The sample pack of that drum machine is dead on the money. You can't tell the difference. But, with external FX processing, you can do so much more with them. And that's just one of close to 300 drum machines. I think I donated something like $25. Needless to say, it was the bargain of a lifetime.

For electronic drums I use Battery 4, a Linn drum virtual synth which is dead on and some odds and ends.
Thanks for the info! I was playing around with drum sounds again and I think I will just stick with what I got, and I already have quite a few(Abbey Road, BFD2, EZ Drummer, Logic...)

As I said before, I think you churn out songs too fast but you do finish them from beginning to end. What is your advice to end my loop-itis? How do you start and make sure to finish a song?
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Final version of "There'll be Unicorns"

Great song! Listened to it several times! A couple of things regarding the mix (or recording) though..

For me it just does not sit right.. The piano feels very low-fi (in a way) and sort of tucked away far back in the audio image while the voice is very very up front and bright.

It would be nice, IMO, if the piano and the voice sounded more like the singer were sitting at the piano and singing rather than being 20 ft apart in a fairly dry room.

Hope that made any sense
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_r View Post
Thanks for the info! I was playing around with drum sounds again and I think I will just stick with what I got, and I already have quite a few(Abbey Road, BFD2, EZ Drummer, Logic...)

As I said before, I think you churn out songs too fast but you do finish them from beginning to end. What is your advice to end my loop-itis? How do you start and make sure to finish a song?
How do I start and make sure I finish a song?

Well, I think at this point (42 years plus of writing) it's just habit. It probably helps that I'm OCD, which doesn't allow me to not finish things unless they're just so terribly difficult that I simply give up doing it. For example, I tried learning how to knit. Total disaster. I have never looked back and have no desire to ever try again.

Oddly, my songwriting 42 years ago was so bad (some would say it's still just as bad) that you'd think I would have given up right away. But my friends telling me I stunk and that I'd never make it as a songwriter pissed me off enough that I was determined to make it and never give up. Maybe that was the best thing they could have done for me. Left alone, I might have quit.

Anyway, don't have a magic formula for you. I sit down, write my song, record my song, mix my song, finish my song. And I have slowed down a lot. I now do about 2 songs a week instead of a song a day. Sometimes it now takes me a whole week to do one song. Of course there are people who take months or even years to do one song. I don't have that kind of patience.

Ultimately, you have to decide that you're going to sit down and finish your song. I don't think there is any system in the world that can make you or anyone do that. In other words, you have to want it bad enough.

Maybe that's the question you should be asking yourself. How important REALLY is writing and finishing songs to you?

If you can answer that question honestly, maybe you'll be closer to figuring out why you're stuck in loop-itis, whatever that is.

Good luck!
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

One last thing. And maybe this will help more than anything.

For the last almost a year now, I've tried very hard to be a model member around this forum. I comment on the music of others, don't post as much and have pretty much stayed out of arguments. Yet, when I do post something, I hardly get any comments.

So you'd probably wonder why I bother. Well, I'm stubborn. I'm not going to let the lack of support discourage me and I'm not going to spend anymore time complaining about it. It's simply not a productive use of my time.

That stubbornness, I think, helps contribute to my ability to finish songs. Maybe you need to be honest with yourself and ask yourself why you can't finish songs. Are you afraid of criticism? Are you afraid that when you declare a song finished that it really isn't and that MAYBE it could be better? Are you too lazy to finish a song? Is it simply just not that important to you?

The only way you're going to be able to reach a point where you can regularly finish songs is to understand why you can't finish them in the first place.

In my case, I write as much as I do because I'm not a kid anymore. I'm 62 years old. If I wanted to do an album of 12 songs and write one song a year, I'd be 74 when it was finished. That's ridiculous. I'm not wasting what time I have left here trying to do the "perfect" song, which may not end up being any better than the songs I write in a week or even a day. And if I let the criticisms of others (that I write too fast) bother me, I'd end up doing nothing. But I've reached a point where I just don't care anymore. I'm going to do what I want to do and the hell with what anybody thinks.

THAT'S the point you have to reach with your writing IF you truly want to end this cycle of not finishing songs. You have to basically say to yourself, "I'll be damned if I'm going to let my..." self doubt, laziness, need for perfection, or whatever, "stop me from finishing this song. I am the one in charge of my life."

Easier said than done? Sure. But you're the only one who can make it happen. I can pep talk you for a hundred years and it won't matter. Ultimately, there is nothing that I can do.

Don't know if I helped or not but I tried my best.

Again, good luck.
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
How do I start and make sure I finish a song?

Well, I think at this point (42 years plus of writing) it's just habit. It probably helps that I'm OCD, which doesn't allow me to not finish things unless they're just so terribly difficult that I simply give up doing it. For example, I tried learning how to knit. Total disaster. I have never looked back and have no desire to ever try again.

Oddly, my songwriting 42 years ago was so bad (some would say it's still just as bad) that you'd think I would have given up right away. But my friends telling me I stunk and that I'd never make it as a songwriter pissed me off enough that I was determined to make it and never give up. Maybe that was the best thing they could have done for me. Left alone, I might have quit.

Anyway, don't have a magic formula for you. I sit down, write my song, record my song, mix my song, finish my song. And I have slowed down a lot. I now do about 2 songs a week instead of a song a day. Sometimes it now takes me a whole week to do one song. Of course there are people who take months or even years to do one song. I don't have that kind of patience.

Ultimately, you have to decide that you're going to sit down and finish your song. I don't think there is any system in the world that can make you or anyone do that. In other words, you have to want it bad enough.

Maybe that's the question you should be asking yourself. How important REALLY is writing and finishing songs to you?

If you can answer that question honestly, maybe you'll be closer to figuring out why you're stuck in loop-itis, whatever that is.

Good luck!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

"Loop-itis"- my name for getting stuck in loops. I guess you are right- so far I was not too bothered about completing songs but was rather experimenting with sounds and getting mixes right. Overtime I found myself in strange situation where I did not like my writing anymore so now have to find a way of reinventing what I am doing. It is still lots of fun though.
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Head

""

Last edited by IGotWorms; 27th February 2020 at 07:56 PM..
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_r View Post
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

"Loop-itis"- my name for getting stuck in loops. I guess you are right- so far I was not too bothered about completing songs but was rather experimenting with sounds and getting mixes right. Overtime I found myself in strange situation where I did not like my writing anymore so now have to find a way of reinventing what I am doing. It is still lots of fun though.
Okay, you're half way there. You've identified the problem. Maybe you don't really need to finish songs. One guy I know just uses his modular system to make noises. He's perfectly content just doing that.

As long as it's fun, that's all that matters. Don't worry about finishing things especially if it's not a really a priority for you.
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Great song! Listened to it several times! A couple of things regarding the mix (or recording) though..

For me it just does not sit right.. The piano feels very low-fi (in a way) and sort of tucked away far back in the audio image while the voice is very very up front and bright.

It would be nice, IMO, if the piano and the voice sounded more like the singer were sitting at the piano and singing rather than being 20 ft apart in a fairly dry room.

Hope that made any sense
Good points. While the songwriting went through extensive review by knowledgeable friends, as well as the arrangement and vocals, when it came to the mix and mastering, I just gave an arm wave to the artist and used her mix and mastering for the video, only asking that she not lose any of the dynamics. I tested the master with some A-B checking against other tracks, was happy with the results and how it still had the dynamics I wanted.

Hmm, perhaps I should reconsider. The thought was to have a free song download on Soundcloud or somewhere like that, and perhaps at least that one deserves a better mix and mastering, if not the video as well. I'd be thrilled as long as all of it is ready by June when I hope to embed the video and a link to the free song download in a GoFundMe campaign to raise funds in her name for a local children's hospital.

Quote:
if the piano and the voice sounded more like the singer were sitting at the piano and singing rather than being 20 ft apart in a fairly dry room
No doubt here that she recorded those separately. Any suggestions?
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotWorms View Post
""

You deleted your comment ! You shouldn’t. I value your opinion ! And you are probably correct I’m redoing the drums on this this afternoon actually

The drummer I have available right now is very dedicated and shows up but I wish he spent more time practicing than buying more drum gear

He’s got a kit like Neil Peart. And when I look at the pro tools session he plays kik snare and CYMBALS

Someday I hope to get with a world class rhythm section. But this is what I’m working with

But let’s see. He’s been practicing to this with e drums removed so maybe it will improve
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
If you're talking about the lullaby I posted, I'll pass it on because I respect your opinion. I'm surprised, though, as the vocal track and mix has gotten past a number of good ears without that kind of comment being said.
Just so you know, I listened on some small Mackie monitors (cheap but I like their sound) as well as my ATH-R70x headphones.
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjiens View Post
Quote:
https://soundcloud.com/kanewilliams-...mo-mp3/s-eX2L4

Hi Mr Funk, think you did a great job on this song.....just me personally (and perhaps some of the ladies on the dancefloor) would need you to put back those kickdrums on the 1 and 3. Most of the time that is, as long as you keep the groove and the folks on the dancefloor moving
No just here and there that normal kick on 1/3 would be more pleasing, relaxing imo.
That's what you get calling yourself Mr Funk But great stuff
Haha, I do regret calling myself Mr Funk!

Anyway, thanks a lot for the feedback. I never even thought about people dancing to this, I consider it a sit and two your foot type of track. But I will take onboard your suggestion.
Old 28th February 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Good points. While the songwriting went through extensive review by knowledgeable friends, as well as the arrangement and vocals, when it came to the mix and mastering, I just gave an arm wave to the artist and used her mix and mastering for the video, only asking that she not lose any of the dynamics. I tested the master with some A-B checking against other tracks, was happy with the results and how it still had the dynamics I wanted.

Hmm, perhaps I should reconsider. The thought was to have a free song download on Soundcloud or somewhere like that, and perhaps at least that one deserves a better mix and mastering, if not the video as well. I'd be thrilled as long as all of it is ready by June when I hope to embed the video and a link to the free song download in a GoFundMe campaign to raise funds in her name for a local children's hospital.

No doubt here that she recorded those separately. Any suggestions?
The levels and dynamics are fine! You can hear the voice and the words and all that, so nothing to worry about there!

What I mean is the the piano and vocal sound does not seem to express the same emotion. None of them are bad they are just not cohesive. It's like eating a nice dinner together with a glass of chocolate milk. Both are nice but they steer your emotions in different directions.

Where does the song want to take the listener and how will it do that?

I'm sorry for getting all philosophical over here
Old 28th February 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
The levels and dynamics are fine! You can hear the voice and the words and all that, so nothing to worry about there!

What I mean is the the piano and vocal sound does not seem to express the same emotion. None of them are bad they are just not cohesive. It's like eating a nice dinner together with a glass of chocolate milk. Both are nice but they steer your emotions in different directions.

Where does the song want to take the listener and how will it do that?

I'm sorry for getting all philosophical over here
It's impossible for me to avoid the philosophical with this song. In a manner of speaking, it's a song within a song, that's within a song.

As a song, it's just a lullaby, written in first-person narrative, a parent singing to their child as they're putting them to bed. Like a lullaby from Mary Poppins.

Last fall after dinner with some friends who helped me with this other song, I explained to them what this new lullaby I'd written wasn't going to be. It wasn't going to be like Rachel's song. This new song wasn't going to attempt to tell Shira's story. This song wouldn't require everybody involved, each having known a similar loss, to take a personal journey of redemption and healing just to write a darned song!

Rachel grew up just a couple miles from Shira, but was born nearly 20 years after Shira was gone.

That song is Rachel's song. The lullaby is just a lullaby. Unless one sees it as an imagining of Shira's mom singing that lullaby to her as a toddler, before the disease, when the mother would have the hopes and dreams any mom could have for their little girl or boy. One might also hear in the song that which would later sustain Shira during her illness, and those things being instilled by the song's dreams of unicorns and rainbows, a white sand beach on which to run, and then a child becoming a shooting star.

Knowing the girl's story, and seeing the video imagery, one might then see the courage that such dreams being instilled so young brought forth in this child as she faced the inevitable with a smile as she rode her IV pole like a scooter to go visit an elderly patient.

The song is just a lullaby. That is, until it's coupled with a video and a brief narrative of Shira's story, embedded in a GoFundMe campaign to raise donations in her name to be given a local children's hospital.

That's the ultimate goal for where the song will take the listener. That's where and when I hope a lovely lullaby becomes more than a lovely lullaby. The reader/listener/viewer will first know that there was once a girl named Shira Putter and that her legacy was one of courage and that, second, a $9 donation in her name would be very much appreciated! Third, a realization that some people thought it worthwhile to go through the trouble to share her story in this manner, trying to keep memory of her legacy of courage alive.

Back to the mix. I always imagined the mom singing to her little girl as though in a movie, no pianists or celloists in the scene, only in the soundtrack.

Last edited by Seattle; 28th February 2020 at 05:52 PM..
Old 28th February 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Just so you know, I listened on some small Mackie monitors (cheap but I like their sound) as well as my ATH-R70x headphones.
Thanks for confirming, Mr Funk, as I wasn't certain you were addressing my song. Loving your mixes, I take your comment well and will share with my friends. I think revisiting the mix is in order. I first need to take a break from working on the song.
Old 28th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's impossible for me to avoid the philosophical with this song. In a manner of speaking, it's a song within a song, that's within a song.

As a song, it's just a lullaby, written in first-person narrative, a parent singing to their child as they're putting them to bed. Like a lullaby from Mary Poppins.

Last fall after dinner with some friends who helped me with this other song, I explained what this new lullaby I'd written wasn't going to be. It wasn't going to be like Rachel's song. This new song wasn't going to attempt to tell Shira's story. This song wouldn't require everybody involved, each having known a similar loss, to take a personal journey of redemption and healing just to write a darned song!

Rachel grew up just a couple miles from Shira, but was born nearly 20 years after Shira was gone.

That song is Rachel's song. The lullaby is just a lullaby. Unless one sees it as an imagining of Shira's mom singing that lullaby to her as a toddler, before the disease, when the mother would have the hopes and dreams any mom could have for their little girl or boy. One might also hear in the song that which would later sustain Shira during her illness, and those things being instilled by the song's dreams of unicorns and rainbows, a white sand beach on which to run, and then a child becoming a shooting star.

Knowing the girl's story, and seeing the imagery, one might then see the courage that such dreams being instilled so young brought forth in this child as she faced the inevitable with a smile as she rode her IV pole like a scooter to go visit an elderly patient.

The song is just a lullaby. That is, until it's coupled with a video and a brief narrative of Shira's story, embedded in a GoFundMe campaign to raise donations in her name to be given a local children's hospital.

That's the ultimate goal for where the song will take the listener. That's where and when I hope a lovely lullaby becomes more than a lovely lullaby. The reader/listener/viewer will first know that there was once a girl named Shira Putter and that her legacy was one of courage and that, second, a $9 donation in her name would be very much appreciated! Third, a realization that some people thought it worthwhile to go through the trouble to share her story in this manner, trying to keep memory of her legacy of courage alive.

Back to the mix. I always imagined the mom singing to her little girl as though in a movie, no pianists or celloists in the scene, only in the soundtrack.
This is why context is so important and no two people can ever hear the same song the same way.

25 years ago I wrote a song for my friend who died at age 37 of Leukemia. Nobody is going to hear the sadness in the song (it's an instrumental) that I hear. And I don't expect them to.

Music is personal to each person.

It's always been that way and always will be that way.
Old 28th February 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thanks for confirming, Mr Funk, as I wasn't certain you were addressing my song. Loving your mixes, I take your comment well and will share with my friends. I think revisiting the mix is in order. I first need to take a break from working on the song.
Hey Seattle, just to compliment you on the low end/ bass parts on this track
it's really well played/performed and mixed, sounds super nice and smooth, you have a great bass ear/talent there I'd say, really exceptional imo.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search