The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your rough demos
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
I understand exactly what you're saying. The song is personal to you.

In 1973, a song came out by Gladys Knight And The Pips called "Neither One Of Us." It was at the time that I had my first girl friend. We both knew it wasn't going to work out because of the age difference (she was 4 years older) but neither one of us could muster up the courage to say goodbye. This song, every time I hear it, reminds me of that summer. I don't, nor can I expect anyone to hear this song the same way I do.

It isn't so much that you and I are in that much of a different place. I'm not a kid after all. But whatever anybody personally puts into a piece of music, another person can't hear that or, at the very least, can't hear it in the exact same way. That's why my friend Paul will play a song for me and and go "Man, wait until you hear this great song" and it does absolutely nothing for me. And he's like "What's the matter with you man? Can't you hear how great this is?"

No, I can't. Because no two people hear things the exact same way. If somebody tells me that my song has too much mid range or too much high end, or the drums are weak, that's fine. Those are technical things. But if somebody says to me "I don't like your song" or "Your song is boring" I almost disregard those comments because that's all personal taste. There are people who even hate The Beatles.

So take my comments with a grain of salt. Somebody else might listen to your song and think it's the greatest thing ever recorded. Believe me, I've seem comments on Youtube about songs that I think are absolutely horrendous where people are claiming it to be the best song ever. I can post some of them if you like. To me, some of these are a real head scratcher.

I can only react to a song the way it affects ME and not the way it affects the person who wrote it. I can't put myself in your skin. I can't feel what you feel anymore than you can feel what I feel.

Ultimately, the only thing that matters, especially if you're not doing this for a living, is that YOU like it. If you do, it's a win-win.
Thanks, I think it was important for me to defend my song. I wrote a song called "Ego and Truth", about how EGO makes Truth in its own image, like two matching bookends, told in a story about the two characters. Ego makes truth as a ally when young, to defend, and then forgets it did that so that the truth can be unwrapped from its sacred scroll to dispense atta boys being regarded as an objective source.

They say people rioted when they first played 'Rite of Spring'.
Thanks for your honest take on the song.

I just worked up a semi complex version of Woody Guthrie's 'Pastures of Plenty', now there is an accessible songwriter, no need for ten listens, and images, "We come with the dust and we're gone with the wind". "My Pastures of Plenty must always be free".
Listened to Si Kahn last night, another accessible story teller.

I think I'm going to write a song based on a common theme just for fun. Something like boys and girls cavorting on the beach, a never written Beach Boys tune. Reminds me of a College Prof who had me read Shaw to get Siddhartha off my mind.

Thanks Wags!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

7th track from my upcoming CD "2020"

This one is totally 80s.

Just Like Jimmy Neutron

Had a dream last night
Flew a rocket to the stars
Guess that's what I get
Spending nights in bars

All I wanna do
Is spend the night with you

Don't leave me hanging here

I wanna take you home
To my crystal dome
Wanna get it on
Just like Jimmy Neutron

There were aliens
All around
Coming after me
With a deafening sound

Float through my bloodstream
And wake me from this dream

Don't leave me hanging here

Repeat Chorus

Up in space with you
Would be like a dream come true
We could rule the stars
And conquer the planet Mars
And I won't have to hang out at those bars

Repeat Chorus

Outro

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Waiting for you rough demo

Hi I just came up with this on Friday so its still in flux but Im thinking to start very sparse and build it up thru the sections with electric guitar hammond and in the most energetic part bring in some AIC or Soundgarden type of guitar vibes.

I need to work hard at singing in my low register or find someone else to do it maybe.. But maybe I can dial it in with practice

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoggin View Post
Hi I just came up with this on Friday so its still in flux but Im thinking to start very sparse and build it up thru the sections with electric guitar hammond and in the most energetic part bring in some AIC or Soundgarden type of guitar vibes.

I need to work hard at singing in my low register or find someone else to do it maybe.. But maybe I can dial it in with practice

It's pretty good already. A little polish and it'll be great.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
It's pretty good already. A little polish and it'll be great.
Thanks Mr Wags. I appreciate the listen ! I’ll put it up as I add parts
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi guys, this song is a song that I've been working on for some years now, and now I've done the demo I am asking for some feedback. As for vocals, lyric and production. Over all. all the sounds you are hearing musically was played off my computer. I am using FL studio 20.

https://soundcloud.com/irwin-abrigo/it-hurts
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
7th track from my upcoming CD "2020"…
Your songwriting is improving, maybe you could look into ableton's groove feature or a drum machine with a swing or human feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoggin View Post
Hi I just came up with this…
This sounds good. I think the vocals might be improved if some of the phrase endings and words had less sustain (end on the 2 instead of the 4). I don't care for the snare (maybe phase issues?).

Last edited by IGotWorms; 3 weeks ago at 07:19 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
My 4`th track towards a live set: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHt5TwiZH88
it`s a fusion of Dubstep and Detroit style, it was also recorded live
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Edit: I had the guitar mic pointed at the high strings!

Last edited by IGotWorms; 3 weeks ago at 09:28 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
WAITING FOR YOU 2nd pass

I added some electric guitar and cleaned up the lyrics. redid the acoustic guitar also

Ill fix the bass when I get into pro tools This is just faders up off tape Bass comes in late every time lol

So now I listen to this version over and over and figure out what to do next and maybe how to bring the different parts in and out

Still working on singing in the low register Maybe Ill find someone with a killer low voice to do it. Or thinking maybe a vocal distortion effect or pitch shifter maybe?

The reverb is from my Reverb Chamber I just wired up! Still need to experiment with mic position etc
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotWorms View Post
I can work on a song for over a week and not realize an incorrect "function word" changes the meaning to something opposite of my intent! (Ideas for change welcome)
I'd love to help you but I have no idea what you're singing about. Something about windows and sunlight and dust and dancing. This is so lyrically disjointed that I'm not even sure anybody could follow it with a lyric sheet. Is there a chorus? If so, I have no idea what it is. I did hear Dance With The Truth a few times so maybe that's it. Don't know. Song's too wordy. There's no musical break or release of tension anywhere. It's just starts out of the gate full speed and that's how it stays until the abrupt ending which left me completely unsatisfied.

So maybe if you post a lyric sheet and tell us what the function word is I can maybe get some idea of what the "problem" is. But right now I don't hear a problem because I have no idea what this song is supposed to be about.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The Robot (AI)

A song about Robots and Artificial Intelligence. Recorded circa 2003. I'd like to do a re-mix but have no idea where the original tracks are. Not that great, but a familiar story.

https://soundcloud.com/user-56643446...020-yes-master

Lyrics as best I can remember:

Quote:
The Robot (Main Lyrics by Matt Spencer, intro/outro lyrics by Mark & Steve Kelepouris, ca 2003)

(Ramble... ramble nonsense) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Yeah, when they had the Robots... Centuries ago... possible... it's crazy... etc...
. . .
Many a wise man said
It interferes with natural beauty in humans
It will always be a receding path for all concerned . . .

I'll tell you what
The benefits to society and mankind are enormous
No, they are, they are
Great potential, great potential

Well, I'll tell you
Never before, has there been this opportunity
for advancement of a civilization
Ever, ever

Look, there's increased crop production
That will give us all an equal start
It's control of the minority
That's what we've always wanted
Control, control...

Look, you don't understand
We can control them, we can control them
I'll tell you, I tell you, the benefits are enormous
I tell you, the benefits are enormous . . . .

Many a wise man said
It interferes with natural beauty in humans
It will always be a receding path for all concerned . . .

---

He became a leader by marching with others
He took bits and pieces from everyone else
He programmed himself, from experience he had
He, is part of everyone, everything else

(everything, everything, everyone, everything.....)

He never realized time was taking it's toll
He never balanced himself on his soul
Always trying to level himself

Takes his time to come in from the cold
He can only learn, but he can't be told

He's never been for sale . . . . . .

----

Now gentlemen quickly, if we can get you all together here
We can discuss this, once and once and for all
You know that there are many.... blah, blah
blahhhhhhh..... blah... Genesis....

Last edited by stixstudios; 1 week ago at 11:23 AM.. Reason: Spelling.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I'd love to help you but…
The song had 2 different focal points, I thought it might be too jumpy. I'll try to focus on one of the points and also add a musical break. Not sure if I can give you much of a one-man chorus though!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Haven't posted in a couple of weeks, not that it matters. Ha, ha, I made a funny (look at song title)

10th track from my upcoming CD "2020"

Lyrics:

Not That It Matters

I can take you out to any place at all
I can stop on by or maybe first I call
We can grab a bite at Gino's bar and grill
We can eat all night or til you've had your fill

You can tell me true I'm handsome and all that
I can compliment your dress your shoes your hat
We can go back to my place to watch the tube
You can act all sweet and I can act not rude

Not that it matters
Cause how this ends is written in stone
Not that it matters
Cause destiny's left me all alone
We can play this out
Stomp our feet and pout
Pretend that there's no doubt
Not that it matters

We can talk of love and how it all should be
Paint that picket fence and plant that willow tree
Plan our children too how many we should raise
Pray all that we can to Jesus Christ we praise

Repeat Chorus

Fate will have the last word in this play
Doesn't matter what we have to say
There's no arguing with destiny
Let's just end this now while we're still free
Still free
Not that it matters

Repeat Chorus

Not that it matters
Not that it matters
Not that it matters

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixstudios View Post
A song about Robots and Artificial Intelligence. Recorded circa 2003. I'd like to do a re-mix but have no idea where the original tracks are. Not that great, but a familiar story.

That's alternative rock all right. Reminds me of somebody but I can't quite put my finger on it. It'll come to me. I just need some time. Very unusual and interesting track. Not the norm posted around here. Don't really think it needs to be redone anyway.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Haven't posted…
I wish that melodic synth was a violin or something with more dynamics and timbre! The instrument at 2:30 sounds cool. I dont know if you mixed this with less limiting and volume but it is easier to listen to.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotWorms View Post
I wish that melodic synth was a violin or something with more dynamics and timbre! The instrument at 2:30 sounds cool. I dont know if you mixed this with less limiting and volume but it is easier to listen to.
The instruments at 2:30 are trombones and trumpets. As for the melodic synth, oh well, can't please everybody. lol. Limiting is same as usual.

Thanks for the listen and the feedback.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by stixstudios View Post

The dialog and lyrics are a bit buried but the concept is great. Maybe you can remaster it to bring out the words?
Old 1 week ago
100% hardware only, no DAWs used! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkizgG2iLZQ hope you like it! xx
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

First, and apology for not being around much of late. I've missed this place and your wonderful music. And I hate that I show up again to share, rather than listen and offer encouragement. I much prefer the latter.

I reach the conclusion of creating a trilogy of songs that, together are a mosaic, intended to show that tyranny can be crushed and replaced with freedom if we could only have a drop of the hope that is the legacy of one little girl, and a drop of the courage that is the legacy of another little girl.

I have shared this one before. Rachel was a nine year old girl whose birthday wish brought hope to third world villages around the world. Hers was a legacy of hope. As we try to tell her story, I'll leave it at that.

This attempts to portray how it is that around the world tyranny and oppression has literally resulted in coded distress signals sent out to the world from people who seek to live free. This was also previously shared.

This piece is new. Shira Putter is another nine year old girl who grew up in Redmond, WA, only a couple miles away from the little girl from the first video, although several decades apart. When she was five years old Sira was diagnosed to have a rare form of diabetes, requiring her to be on an IV 24/7 to provide insulin to her body because shots were inadequate. At age eight Shira became the first child to receive a insulin pump, which was then considered a dangerous procedure for a small child.

Shira wasn't one to be held back by her fatal illness, and she and her family did indeed know how this would end. But Shira lived life, even while spending over 500 days during extended stays in different hospitals in Seattle, Dallas and Boston, and many surgeries. Her IV pole had wheels and she learned to ride it like a scooter, visiting elderly patients who were lonely who deeply appreciated the good cheer this little girl brought into their lives. She was also able to make friends with other patients near her on age and engage in normal activities.

But the disease was relentless. To cope, Shira would decorate her wall with pictures of unicorns and rainbows. She dreamed of one day running barefoot on a white sand beach and feeling the sand on her toes. And in her last diary entry she wrote a poem which began, "I am a shooting star', which is also on her grave marker.

Shira's legacy was one of courage.

More than welcoming comment and/or criticism, I want to invite foxwaves and Mr. Funk to cover the song themselves and make a video if they would of them simply singing the song with whatever accompaniment they choose to select, prerecorded or played live as I suspect foxwaves might do.

The idea is to create a Shira Putter YouTube channel with this and any other suitable covers by anyone else here. We just want to have as many covers of the song on the channel as we can collect. The idea is that, while for many years the girl's mother kept her memory alive buy her work in grief counseling, she herself has been gone six years now and we want to revive their story on the YouTube channel and on the internet in others ways we have planned, including GoFundMe campaigns to raise funds for Rachel's Wishing Well Foundation and Seattle Children's Hospital donated in their name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDcL...ature=youtu.be

The donation thing is just gravy, though. The most important goal is these girl's not be forgotten and to make the point that even little girls can set a high bar for what both hope and courage can achieve which i even great things.

Last edited by Seattle; 1 week ago at 07:41 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
First, and apology for not being around much of late. I've missed this place and your wonderful music. And I hate that I show up again to share, rather than listen and offer encouragement. I much prefer the latter.

I reach the conclusion of creating a trilogy of songs that, together are a mosaic, intended to show that tyranny can be crushed and replaced with freedom if we could only have a drop of the hope that is the legacy of one little girl, and a drop of the courage that is the legacy of another little girl.

I have shared this one before. Rachel was a nine year old girl whose birthday wish brought hope to third world villages around the world. Hers was a legacy of hope. As we try to tell her story, I'll leave it at that.

This attempts to portray how it is that around the world tyranny and oppression has literally resulted in coded distress signals sent out to the world from people who seek to live free. This was also previously shared.

This piece is new. Shira Putter is another nine year old girl who grew up in Redmond, WA, only a couple miles away from the little girl from the first video, although several decades apart. When she was five years old Sira was diagnosed to have a rare form of diabetes, requiring her to be on an IV 24/7 to provide insulin to her body because shots were inadequate. At age eight Shira became the first child to receive a insulin pump, which was then considered a dangerous procedure for a small child.

Shira wasn't one to be held back by her fatal illness, and she and her family did indeed know how this would end. But Shira lived life, even while spending over 500 days during extended stays in different hospitals in Seattle, Dallas and Boston, and many surgeries. Her IV pole had wheels and she learned to ride it like a scooter, visiting elderly patients who were lonely who deeply appreciated the good cheer this little girl brought into their lives. She was also able to make friends with other patients near her on age and engage in normal activities.

But the disease was relentless. To cope, Shira would decorate her wall with pictures of unicorns and rainbows. She dreamed of one day running barefoot on a white sand beach and feeling the sand on her toes. And in her last diary entry she wrote a poem which began, "I am a shooting star', which is also on her grave marker.

Shira's legacy was one of courage.

More than welcoming comment and/or criticism, I want to invite foxwaves and Mr. Funk to cover the song themselves and make a video if they would of them simply singing the song with whatever accompaniment they choose to select, prerecorded or played live as I suspect foxwaves might do.

The idea is to create a Shira Putter YouTube channel with this and any other suitable covers by anyone else here. We just want to have as many covers of the song on the channel as we can collect. The idea is that, while for many years the girl's mother kept her memory alive buy her work in grief counseling, she herself has been gone six years now and we want to revive their story on the YouTube channel and on the internet in others ways we have planned, including GoFundMe campaigns to raise funds for Rachel's Wishing Well Foundation and Seattle Children's Hospital donated in their name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDcL...ature=youtu.be
Hey Seattle! It's good to see you back and learn more about your work...and I am touched by your mission and those involved. Maybe I can do something later, but I'm still not up to doing much music yet. I'm still working in construction and when I get home my age/health hinder me from doing much of anything. But if things get easier, I will remember you and your noble mission and be honored to help in even a minuscule way.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Hey, friend! Something later is cool. Way better than not at all. You do come into my thoughts, especially when I tried to imagine who a male vocal version of the song and my only choice was you. I did make it non-gender as I could, and you were perfect. I'm mean, it'd be really cool. Nobody better. I thought it would be cool to have a female version, a male version, and a duet version. And much like you male version, the ones I could imagine doing the duet was Mr Funk and friend. And not only that, it'd be an honor for me if you did, and a marvelous contribution to serving this girl's legacy.

That's really the issue here. This girl is personal. I first ran across an article about her in 1982. I attracted by the photo of a really cute kid with a sweet smile and sparkling eyes. In the background were parents as though sharing a smile over their daughter. Then I read the story and when done I was ashamed of my own lack of courage in dealing with a personal loss. I didn't have as much courage as a little girl. I didn't like that and began a slow process of turning my life around. A year later I ran across another article and little Shira was gone. Understanding they must have all known the outcome when thaqt photo had been taken inspired me even more to be a better person in all ways. I never forgot her. I also clipped out both articles and would cone across them throught years, always reminding me of her courage.

About ten years ago I did a search on her name expecting to find nothing, there was instead a book written about her, and many articles about her mom who was very involved in grief counseling and had written a book on the subject which also for sale. Turns out there are recommended reading lists for this particular form of grief, and these books were on it and written to help others. And it was true that her mom's work also served to keep the memory of her own little girl's courage alive.

Then a couple of years ago I looked again and all that was gone, only the mother's obituary and a couple of sites selling Shira's out of print book. Th internet isn't forever. But I thought a song and video and whatever else I might do could change that and restore her presence and see to it that her legacy of courage endure. One of those things where it's better to try and fail than never try at all. And it fit nicely into a them where I'd already done a song about another nine year old girl whose song was completed.

So, yes, if you can do it someday, that'd be so wonderful. And really do think you'd sound so good on this, really delivering it, and it'd be a perfect addition to the Shira Putter YouTube channel I'll soon create for this version, and perhaps if I'm lucky, Mr Funk and his lady friend. They are so talented! I'd just love to hear these two wonderful friends, you and Mr. Funk, share Shira's song list with along with this version. A trio of wonderful versions this would be wonderfultribute to her.

The video and song are not done, close enough to listen to. The video will have the same images or others selected from a total 17 available, but the renderings will be much better scanned (done) and editing. If either you or Mr Funk want to make a suitable video, it doesn't have to be about Shira, just acknowledge her in a nice way.

I hope all is well foxwaves. My thoughts often turn to you for that sentiment quite often, so please know that. I'm hoping for you the very best.

The name of this song, There'll be Unicorns
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Getting back into recording after a long break and trying out EQP-KT on bass...

Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Hey guys! I'm going to replace the singer, since she only wanted to use her own lyrics (lol), and even though I like her voice I feel like she didn't give me enough emotion.

Nevertheless, the rest of the arrangement feels close to finishing. Let me know what you think!

https://soundcloud.com/amroth33/see-you-again-feb-3
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine_Alicia View Post
100% hardware only, no DAWs used! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkizgG2iLZQ hope you like it! xx
A sunny and upbeat little track.

TBH, I think it would be a bit more welcoming/engaging if the instruments weren't pretty much all lumped together in the middle. About the only significant stereo elements seem to be some of the FX (and maybe one arpeggiated synth voice?) I think it would be a little more fun if things were spread out. Don't be afraid of a little asymmetry, if, indeed, that's your fear.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amroth View Post
Hey guys! I'm going to replace the singer, since she only wanted to use her own lyrics (lol), and even though I like her voice I feel like she didn't give me enough emotion.

Nevertheless, the rest of the arrangement feels close to finishing. Let me know what you think!

https://soundcloud.com/amroth33/see-you-again-feb-3
Well, her vocal fits the Anglo-folkie female singer over pulsing synths trope. I actually think her seeming dispassion works well with the 'cool' (timbre/musical heat) synthbed. I'm sure tastes differ, but this sort of ethereal, otherworldly type vocal works better (for me) than more 'engaged'/up front/emotive vocals over similar synth backgrounds. I like it. (I should probably note that I wasn't really listening to the words. So I can't weigh in, yay or nay, on that.)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Hey people...

A bit different than my usual output, so I thought I'd share it here.

Playing several instruments myself here, plus there's a live violin. Some midi still there until I can find some session musicians.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

9th track from my upcoming CD "RPM" for the RPM February contest to do 10 songs in the month of February.

This one got some nice comments at another forum.

Last Night With You

It couldn't have been more wonderful
It couldn't have been more real
It couldn't have been more beautiful
The way you made me feel
But we both know this had to end
There was nothing else we could do
Last night with you
Was my last night with you

We both should have seen it coming
Cause we burned too bright to last
We put off the end as long as we could
But the end still came real fast
And we both know this had to end
Last night with you

Maybe in another life we'd have had a chance
Maybe on another stage we could do the dance

And so now it's time to say our goodbyes
Let's not drag this out anymore
Let me take my things, leave the diamond rings
And slowly walk out the door
Yeah we both know this had to end
Last night with you
Last night with you

Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Been working on this track, in demo form. Can’t decide whether dynamics work whole way through and whether to elaborate on arrangement or keep stripped back. Thanks

https://soundcloud.com/simondaviesmusic/leave
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Last edited by IGotWorms; 1 week ago at 11:00 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search