The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your rough demos
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Fat Man second go round

I spent time on the drums now and added in riot sounds , air raid sirens, and more cowbell!

Also redid the main vocal as I wanted to change some words.. Mixed down to 1/4" tape.

Actually sitting down to do a couple more mixes and maybe add a little brightness and try a couple different levels on vocal vs guitars.

See what ytou think of this if you are so inclined!

Thank!

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Yeah, very cool. This takes me back to songs like Stagger Lee, and those swinging old story-telling songs. A great style that's just not mined much today. Some really great visual dialogue in there.

The faster fade at the end is right on. Get's out in good time, just after the story is finished being told. And mix is sounding good. Nice balance. The voice quality is warm and intimate, as this kind of thing demands.
\\Thanks Kindly ---

Manley DVC pre and a Oktava MK-319 mic... RME ADi2 to the Dig I/O of our trusty VS 2480 ...

A Taylor acoustic bass -( to a UA M610 tube ) - Nice maple drum kit ---
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
KENNYBRO :: Did a REMIX today --- shorten the end
I like this one! Like Kenny Bro says its a good story.. Lyrically I thought it was a bit too refined as in using words like patron and distraught.. maybe a bit more how shall we say "vernacular "might be appropriate..

Vernacular would not be appropriate as a word in this song though
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

This one, "Hello," has become something of a musical breadboard for me these past few weeks. I did a fast "garage" version that I like (we all get attached to our demos, right?), then a more polished version that didn't work out as well (I thought). Now this reworked version of the polished that's a bit more raw, but with a lot more production involved.

Changed the beat to a drum heavy thing. There are the main drums, a Glyn Johns toms overdub, another close miced toms overdub, and then the room mics from the original first drum take all buttons in 1176. I didn't want to use any percussion samples, so I just kept piling on until I got some power into it. I played it to a click, but that's been a point of contention with me lately.

Bass is DI through UA510/1176. Felt pick for some extra punch.
E Guitars are a variety of amps, a 335 and a Strat.
Keys are all NORD. Piano and a few synth adds.
Vox are TLM103 (mixed feelings) 5024, UA LA2A.
There are also two acoustic guitar tracks folded in, Martin>C451>5024>LA2A, but could be mixed up louder maybe. But there's already plenty going on, so...

Appreciate all comments, critiques, anything!
Attached Files

HELLO 11-2-19.mp3 (8.49 MB, 490 views)

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoggin View Post
I like this one! Like Kenny Bro says its a good story.. Lyrically I thought it was a bit too refined as in using words like patron and distraught.. maybe a bit more how shall we say "vernacular "might be appropriate..

Vernacular would not be appropriate as a word in this song though
And"acrid smoke" ...

This artist is quite well-read .. writing & playing since 1962..

think more like Dylan Thomas --than Jacob's dad ....

Probably wrote this one in the late 60's

Most my clients are between 59 and 76 --these days ..

Last edited by cjogo; 1 week ago at 08:42 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I spent time on the drums now and added in riot sounds , air raid sirens, and more cowbell!

Also redid the main vocal as I wanted to change some words.. Mixed down to 1/4" tape.

Actually sitting down to do a couple more mixes and maybe add a little brightness and try a couple different levels on vocal vs guitars.

Thank!
Yeah, that hits the mark. I wouldn't add any brightness. I think there's plenty. Nice balances on the mix; except maybe the guitar is dominating left side of the pan. Don't bring that side down, but bring the right up to that level. The guitar power and thickness is needed. Sounds are very good, I think.

Maybe those fast triplet double kick fills are muddy. Do whatever you have to do to make those suckers the boss in the few places they happen. Cut some low mids and punch up some highs on those fills, so that they speak out, and drive the song into the next section with some real authority.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
This one, "Hello," has become something of a musical breadboard for me these past few weeks. I did a fast "garage" version that I like (we all get attached to our demos, right?), then a more polished version that didn't work out as well (I thought). Now this reworked version of the polished that's a bit more raw, but with a lot more production involved.

Changed the beat to a drum heavy thing. There are the main drums, a Glyn Johns toms overdub, another close miced toms overdub, and then the room mics from the original first drum take all buttons in 1176. I didn't want to use any percussion samples, so I just kept piling on until I got some power into it. I played it to a click, but that's been a point of contention with me lately.

There are also two acoustic guitar tracks folded in, Martin>C451>5024>LA2A, but could be mixed up louder maybe. But there's already plenty going on, so...

Ok I like i! The song is great I think the drums are maybe a bit too prominent . and I feel like the guitar could be thinned out some and maybe more of an arpeggiated approach could be effective.. I want it to feel ethereal and some of the elements detract from that.. The synth line thats up and down constantly might be more mellowed out and have its period increased.

to be more ehtereal lol

But I may be messing with your direction and its just my sensibility coming out. But its well done .. and mostly live instruments which Im partial to.
Good job KB!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok I like i! The song is great I think the drums are maybe a bit too prominent . and I feel like the guitar could be thinned out some and maybe more of an arpeggiated approach could be effective.. I want it to feel ethereal and some of the elements detract from that.. The synth line thats up and down constantly might be more mellowed out and have its period increased.

to be more ehtereal lol

But I may be messing with your direction and its just my sensibility coming out. But its well done .. and mostly live instruments which Im partial to.
Good job KB!
Thanks Snoggin. I've pondered all of those things, so we're on the same page here. I might have gone overboard with the drums; I got focused on making them prominent. The lyrics are certainly etherial, so that take is on point.

I played it for a guy last night who said, "That up and down synth thing needs to be way louder!" haha! I was thinking the opposite, like yourself.

Yeah, I dig all live playing too. I had many years of sequencing and drum machines, starting in the early 80's with Oberheim DMX and sequencers, moving up to a Synclavier in the early 90's, and used that stuff a lot until about 2005, when I built a studio back in Chicago area, and stopped doing any machine stuff. Never looked back.

Appreciate the response! Cheers.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:

I like this one Kbro, very British feel, and mood. Not much to nitpick, maybe drop the keys out of the 2nd verse, leave some room to breathe. Add some crash cymbals the last 30 seconds. Good hook man
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold the Mayo View Post
I like this one Kbro, very British feel, and mood. Not much to nitpick, maybe drop the keys out of the 2nd verse, leave some room to breathe. Add some crash cymbals the last 30 seconds. Good hook man
Thanks Mayo. I'll try these changes and see how it feel. Then re-post the changes. Where exactly do you hear long crashes?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Fat Man Video

Ive been making little videos to try to hold peoples interest.. Im still working on this one going to add some filters and stuff maybe.. Still learning how to wear all the hats lol.

I figure I only have 39,000 hours to go

This time search was my friend!

Last edited by Snoggin; 1 week ago at 03:01 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I like this version with the pencil sketch effect.. Hides my gut!

some

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

7th track from my upcoming CD "The Cool Cat In The Wind"

What's Buzzin' Cousin?

What's buzzin cousin
Did you take her dancin tonight
Did you hold her gently
Did you kiss her in the moonlight

Was it what you thought
When for her love you fought
Was it worth the wait
When you got on your knees
Did you beg pretty please
Give me all the dirt
Was she quite the flirt
How much did it hurt
When she dumped your sorry ass
And went home with me

What's buzzin' cousin
Is your head spinnin' right now
Didn't see that coming
Yet you knew that it would somehow

Did you feel the pain
Like the pouring rain
Did it sting like hell
Give me all the dirt
Was she quite the flirt
How much did it hurt
And went home with me

Let me take the win
When she did you in
Broke your heart in two
Turned you black and blue
Wanna feel the joy of seeing you come unglued
Cause she dumped your sorry ass
And went home with me

What's buzzin cousin
Did you hold her gently

Was it what you thought
Was it worth the wait
When you made that daring move
The way that she hoped you'd do
Did it make you smile
Running that last mile
Laughing all the while
When she dumped my sorry ass
And went home with you

Old 1 week ago
Here's a rock tune in the formative stages, need to redo the guitar and I'm thinking maybe a top line trumpet in the more subdued parts. I like the room on the drums but might be a bit much. Definitely needs vocals. If anyone has suggestions or hear glaring disasters that I can't see because of the trees let me know, thanks for listening!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
Certain times of the day we do mic our amps --- just a very quite spot of the studios location --- Sometimes between 11 to 3 :: if you keep the amp low volume ( no 11 here )

tight mic with 421 and then a ribbon for the room

He went through a UA M610 tube , too. But his 60's pickups were only so good ...

Had a top guitarist today -- brought along his original '65 Twin -- we DI'ed and mic'd with a 421 -- 8 tracks ~! Started at 11 out by 2

Last edited by cjogo; 1 week ago at 10:11 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Nice song -- Lots of work put forth in this one -- and it shows ... Sometimes I wish I could get back to my live drum kit ... when I hear this one//

Last edited by cjogo; 1 week ago at 10:11 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post

I finally have a space to set up my Mac mini and get down to some serious mixing. I am transferring the songs from the iPad sessions and cleaning them up and processing them.
The first track is almost done, I think, but it would really help if those who have decent monitoring could take a listen and see if I am getting the balance right.
I am only able to work on headphones for the moment so other sets of ears are needed.
Thanks in advance.
Is this a cover or original? I like it a lot. From the first half a bar i could tell it was one of your tracks!

Using ATH-R70x headphones, the mix is kind of "mushy" but in a good way. It's like a room filled with warm candyfloss! The stereo width I think is good, but someone with monitors will have to say for sure, but I think I know my headphones enough to say that. Arrangement works for me and the vocals sound nice. You have definitely tamed those "s" sounds etc that often ping out of your tracks.

all in all, I could hear quite a few layers, even though they all gel into this warm comforting mush, which I guess could represent what you feel from the holy spirit?

Nice job Z

PS. Reminiscent of some late 80's early 80's stuff, but kind think who exactly. Maybe the Lightning Seeds? Also Cold Play.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine_Alicia View Post
Hopping to add this track to the list for a live set, how does it sound?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf06aRM5lnE
I think this sounds a bit narrow. I realise that in a club situation, many systems are mono anyway, so stereo spread is not necessary, but would be good if you could get a mix that sounds nice and spacious in a stereo system but folds down nicely to mono. So, some simple panning should help with that, maybe automated panning. If you have Soundtoys Panman, that can give some nice syncopated movement.

I also think this needs mastering to add a bit of punch and some sparkle and may be even a pinch more sub bass. You could try doing this yourself of course. A baxandall EQ may work, but you could try the free Lufticus. This is one of my favourite plugins. Set the airband high and boost say 6dB, then give the lows a 2dB lift then see if you need anything doing to the mids.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

Not listened to any of your other versions, but this sounds cool to me. Nice songwriting and arrangement. The vox sound a bit roomy at times, but overall they work. I'm wondering if the double tracking may actually be making that room sound more evident, or maybe it is helping to mask it? It's hard to tell, but you could possibly try a vocal doubler effect rather than a real double and see if it's better or worse. Vocal performance is good though and the general tone too.

For me, the overall mix is a little dark and some upper end lift I think would bring it to life.

Nice work
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

Thank!

Like it!

I would try some parallel compression on the drums (or a bit more if done already).

I would also try a vari-mu type compressor on your vocal. The free MJUC Jr works for me. It smooths everything nicely and adds some nice subtle saturation. I would also try Lufticus (free) on your vocal. Not to EQ it, but just have the analogue mode switched in and see if it tames those little spiky frequencies that pop out a bit on the bigger parts of your cool vocal. It worked wonders doing the same on a sax for me, it was like EQing without EQing! I would think the frequency range where it does that is around the same area? Give it a go. Also great plug in for EQing and if you wanted to add some air to the track as you suggested.

Great work.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post

What's Buzzin' Cousin?

What's buzzin cousin
Did you hold her gently

Was it what you thought
Was it worth the wait
Give me all the dirt
Was she quite the flirt
How much did it hurt
And went home with me

What's buzzin' cousin
Didn't see that coming

Did you feel the pain
Like the pouring rain
Did it sting like hell
Give me all the dirt
Was she quite the flirt
How much did it hurt
And went home with me

Let me take the win
When she did you in
Broke your heart in two
And went home with me

What's buzzin cousin
Did you hold her gently

Was it what you thought
Was it worth the wait
Did it make you smile
Running that last mile
Laughing all the while
And went home with you

Hi Wag. First track of yours in a long time that I have thought sounded bad. Is this a very early version? If so, then you can ignore that comment.

The drum pattern is trampling over the track a bit. I think it may simply be that it needs swing to relax it a bit. Right now, it sounds like an angry mechanical chimp toy is playing the drums.

The vocal needs more focus and sharpness. Try chorus and delays and remove all verb. may be add a pinch of a convolution verb back if it sounds too dry.

The trumpet/sax at the start needs work to sound more expressive, but fine as a place holder. This is hard for me to achieve also!

Sorry to be negative, like I say, for the most part I like your stuff, this one just seemed like a rush job and disjointed. Worth fixing though.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Hi Wag. First track of yours in a long time that I have thought sounded bad. Is this a very early version? If so, then you can ignore that comment.

The drum pattern is trampling over the track a bit. I think it may simply be that it needs swing to relax it a bit. Right now, it sounds like an angry mechanical chimp toy is playing the drums.

The vocal needs more focus and sharpness. Try chorus and delays and remove all verb. may be add a pinch of a convolution verb back if it sounds too dry.

The trumpet/sax at the start needs work to sound more expressive, but fine as a place holder. This is hard for me to achieve also!

Sorry to be negative, like I say, for the most part I like your stuff, this one just seemed like a rush job and disjointed. Worth fixing though.
I can't help but laugh hysterically at your comments. If I didn't know you were a straight shooter I'd think you were just yanking my chain here.

Actually, this track, and everything on this CD, I think is my best work. I don't hear any of the things you hear. Wouldn't even know how to fix this if I attempted to. To me, this is one of my better tracks.

Oh well, what can I say? Definitely scratching my head over this one but I do appreciate the listen and your comments.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I can't help but laugh hysterically at your comments. If I didn't know you were a straight shooter I'd think you were just yanking my chain here.

Actually, this track, and everything on this CD, I think is my best work. I don't hear any of the things you hear. Wouldn't even know how to fix this if I attempted to. To me, this is one of my better tracks.

Oh well, what can I say? Definitely scratching my head over this one but I do appreciate the listen and your comments.
Oh heck. Then that must have stung! I'm sorry about that. I'm going to have another listen and see if I still think the same.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
OK Wag, I still think it has issues, but of course all this is subjective. To me the beat is too jerky and overpowering and does feel very robotic and repetitive. I think the "orchestral" arrangement is maybe too buy too, like the chords are changing more than they need too. If you had the chord changing every bar (not rigidly) I think this would help the rhythm seem less erratic. Without vocals, this busier orchestral arrangement would be fine, just feels like it's competing to be lead, rhythmically. I'm sorry I can't explain things better due to my lack of training/musical knowledge. I still think trying a more sharper, punchier vocal (less verb) would work.

I've not listened to a lot of anyones stuff including yours for a while, so trying to catch up a bit so please feel free to point me in the direction of your best 2 from your new CD and I'll have a listen.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh heck. Then that must have stung! I'm sorry about that. I'm going to have another listen and see if I still think the same.
Hey Kane it's cool man. Don't give it a second thought. Taste is a funny thing. And given that this song has elements of the kind of music you do, it would be understandable if you heard it done a different way.

I don't take this stuff personal anymore. Two people commented on a song I just did. One person loved it, the other person hated it. That is pretty much how life goes.

Really, don't sweat it. It's all good. Hopefully, you'll like next week's track better.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Like it!

I would try some parallel compression on the drums (or a bit more if done already).

I would also try a vari-mu type compressor on your vocal. The free MJUC Jr works for me. It smooths everything nicely and adds some nice subtle saturation. I would also try Lufticus (free) on your vocal. Not to EQ it, but just have the analogue mode switched in and see if it tames those little spiky frequencies that pop out a bit on the bigger parts of your cool vocal. It worked wonders doing the same on a sax for me, it was like EQing without EQing! I would think the frequency range where it does that is around the same area? Give it a go. Also great plug in for EQing and if you wanted to add some air to the track as you suggested.

Great work.
Hey there thanks for listening! Maybe take a listen to the finished demo version in the finished demo section. I did beef the drums up some.. the vocal I ran thru a serpent splice and a retro sta level. I’ll take a listen and think about the frequency stuff you mentioned.. I have a weird voice lol

Check out the finished version there is a video I did for it as well

Thanks!!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

What's Buzzin' Cousin?

What's buzzin cousin
Did you hold her gently

Was it what you thought
Was it worth the wait
Give me all the dirt
Was she quite the flirt
How much did it hurt
And went home with me

What's buzzin' cousin
Didn't see that coming

Did you feel the pain
Like the pouring rain
Did it sting like hell
Give me all the dirt
Was she quite the flirt
How much did it hurt
And went home with me

Let me take the win
When she did you in
Broke your heart in two
And went home with me

What's buzzin cousin
Did you hold her gently

Was it what you thought
Was it worth the wait
Did it make you smile
Running that last mile
Laughing all the while
And went home with you

Yep, the story line is long and tiresome. You are unsuccessfully trying to match a weak melody with the juvenile words.

The orchestra seems like they are in another room, far, far away; barely audible.
You are still trying to conjure a voice that does not feel natural, IMHO. Overall, no different from your usual songs.

I am really, really glad that you "don't take this stuff personal anymore", as it was obviously a concern I had.

Cheers,
~HW
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is this a cover or original? I like it a lot. From the first half a bar i could tell it was one of your tracks!

Using ATH-R70x headphones, the mix is kind of "mushy" but in a good way. It's like a room filled with warm candyfloss! The stereo width I think is good, but someone with monitors will have to say for sure, but I think I know my headphones enough to say that. Arrangement works for me and the vocals sound nice. You have definitely tamed those "s" sounds etc that often ping out of your tracks.

all in all, I could hear quite a few layers, even though they all gel into this warm comforting mush, which I guess could represent what you feel from the holy spirit?

Nice job Z

PS. Reminiscent of some late 80's early 80's stuff, but kind think who exactly. Maybe the Lightning Seeds? Also Cold Play.
Thanks very much Kane, I really appreciate your encouraging comments.
It’s an original song for my gospel inspired album which is almost complete. I will post a link to the whole thing when it’s done.
I am glad you liked the warmth as I am definitely going for that feeling with this. I started off by listening to a lot of Marvin and Otis, just to get in the mood but not to copy them in any way as I want a more acoustic rock style.
I can hear the Lightning Seeds influences for sure, I was always a fan of their vocal led arrangements and direct sense of melody which always seem to portray the lyrics so effectively.
Funny you should mention Coldplay as I have been using on of their tracks as a reference for this mix.
Very happy that you like it.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss View Post
Yep, the story line is long and tiresome. You are unsuccessfully trying to match a weak melody with the juvenile words.

The orchestra seems like they are in another room, far, far away; barely audible.
You are still trying to conjure a voice that does not feel natural, IMHO. Overall, no different from your usual songs.

I am really, really glad that you "don't take this stuff personal anymore", as it was obviously a concern I had.

Cheers,
~HW
Thank you for taking the time to listen and comment. As these are rare from you, I greatly appreciate the time taken. Your comments are duly noted.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

4th track from my upcoming CD "Chroma"

Decided to skip over a lot of stuff and post my most recent track. One person didn't believe I wrote it, thought it was that good. Another person said it was my best vocal performance. So I figured I'd give this one a shot here to see what you all think.

Red Rose Gal

She smells like a spring time day
She tastes just like chardonnay
She moves like a graceful swan
My love it goes on and on

I'm so lucky to have her with me
Oh she's just a joy to see
She's my dream
My coffee's cream
She's not just a pal
She's my red rose gal

She looks like a priceless pearl
She's like no one in the world
She makes me the happy one
It's bliss when the day is done

Repeat Chorus

And when the day it comes to an end
I say goodnight to my best friend

Repeat Chorus

Outro

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search