The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your rough demos
Old 13th October 2019
Here for the gear

New Punk Project

Hey guys

Started a new project and the vocals sound weird to me. Any advice on mixing?
Old 14th October 2019
Lives for gear

4th track from my upcoming CD "The Cool Cat In The Wind"

Lyrics:

Sweet Patootie

Hey there girl
You got the look that just drives me crazy
Rock my world
Baby doll you're fresh as a daisy

So let's go
You're coming with me to the show
You're running with me don't you know
You'll always be my
Main squeeze gal cause you're a cutie
And you'll always be my sweet patootie

Hey there girl
You got the look that's one in a million
Rock my world
Let me take you to the cotillion

Repeat Chorus

We can make it together
Let us make it forever
Let us take it wherever it wants to go
Cause I love you so

Repeat Verse 1

Repeat Chorus

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuliano777 View Post
Drums could use some EQ on the mids which are a bit heavy. Musically, could use with a little more variation. Sounds kind of like a loop played over and over with very little differentiation along the way.

There is definitely something here to work with though. Just needs more development and some mixing help.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Another mix
Attached Files

TWO HEARTS.mp3 (5.84 MB, 513 views)

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Finishing up tonight's mix ..
Attached Files

WILD RIDE m.mp3 (9.73 MB, 496 views)

Old 4 weeks ago
I`m considering using this as part of a live set, it was also performed live for accuracy of sound, does it need any changes? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xx5ayiKD6U
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just something that fell out of my head last week. A buddy wrote the lyrics and they sparked a melody. Next thing I knew, I had this done.
Vocals - TLM103>NEVE 5024>LA2A
All guitars - SM57>NEVE 5024
Drums - The usual compliment of 421s, re20, 57, akg541'S> Audient880
Bass - DI UA510>1176
Organ - NORD

Any and all commentary greatly appreciated!
Attached Files

HELLO mstr.mp3 (7.26 MB, 490 views)

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Katherine_Alicia;14272405]I`m considering using this as part of a live set, it was also performed live for accuracy of sound, does it need any changes?
Love it. I really like the sense of soundstage depth you achieve. Nice use of ambience. And punchy low end.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Just something that fell out of my head last week. A buddy wrote the lyrics and they sparked a melody. Next thing I knew, I had this done.
Vocals - TLM103>NEVE 5024>LA2A
All guitars - SM57>NEVE 5024
Drums - The usual compliment of 421s, re20, 57, akg541'S> Audient880
Bass - DI UA510>1176
Organ - NORD

Any and all commentary greatly appreciated!
Sorry it took me so long to get to this Kenny. I had no doubt it would be good. I was not disappointed. Home or professional studio? Mix is great. Most enjoyable listen as always.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodlist View Post
Love the guitar in this! You are very talented.
Drums drag a bit on occasion and the cymbals are too loud but a solid piece of songwriting.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Hi Z

Cool version. Coming out of the laptop, some of the harmonies sounded off pitch, but via headphones sounded much nicer. Worth checking though, as some systems may highlight this too?

Always like your stuff mate.
Thanks Kane. I'll check the Bvs when I do the next mix.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Sorry it took me so long to get to this Kenny. I had no doubt it would be good. I was not disappointed. Home or professional studio? Mix is great. Most enjoyable listen as always.
Thanks Wag! That version above, I did in the studio at work. SSL Matrix board and PT, Orion32+ interface, so more pro-level studio than not. Thanks on the mix. I do like it but still struggling a bit toward something a bit less controlled sounding, maybe a little more garage? I was pretty anal in how I played the guitars. They need to cut loose a touch more maybe, IDK.

I have another totally different version I'm posting below, that I recorded last night in my friend's budget studio that sounds more... like a band maybe. Drums Glyn John's as opposed to individual mics. I'll post, and I would truly love your opinion on which approach you prefer. Interesting as gearslut notes... last night's vocal chain is a $60 MXL990 into a cheap ART compressor, as opposed to the Neumann TLM103 and UA LA2A in the Purdue studio. It was all "gun-and-run," haha. You can hear me talking in parts, there are some BG vocal parts missing and all. But guitars are a wall, more like what I want on the other

Appreciate your response and commentary, as always! I haven't been posting music lately, but I look back and you are so prolific and active, it's amazing. So many great lyrics! I have to go back and catch up, see what all has been dropping here.
Attached Files

HELLO10.19.19 MSTR.m4a (7.47 MB, 233 views)

Last edited by kennybro; 4 weeks ago at 04:42 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Wag! That version above, I did in the studio at work. SSL Matrix board and PT, Orion32+ interface, so more pro-level studio than not. Thanks on the mix. I do like it but still struggling a bit toward something a bit less controlled sounding, maybe a little more garage? I was pretty anal in how I played the guitars. They need to cut loose a touch more maybe, IDK.

I have another totally different version I'm posting below, that I recorded last night in my friend's budget studio that sounds more... like a band maybe. Drums Glyn John's as opposed to individual mics. I'll post, and I would truly love your opinion on which approach you prefer. Interesting as gearslut notes... last night's vocal chain is a $60 MXL990 into a cheap ART compressor, as opposed to the Neumann TLM103 and UA LA2A in the Purdue studio. It was all "gun-and-run," haha. You can hear me talking in parts, there are some BG vocal parts missing and all. But guitars are a wall, more like what I want on the other

Appreciate your response and commentary, as always! I haven't been posting music lately, but I look back and you are so prolific and active, it's amazing. So many great lyrics! I have to go back and catch up, see what all has been dropping here.
Hey Kenny, I have to admit I love this version much better. The guitars sound amazing. I love the way you have the vocals kind of fading into the distance towards the end. The whole production, as you say, sounds more like a band. Absolutely love it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Kenny, I have to admit I love this version much better. The guitars sound amazing. I love the way you have the vocals kind of fading into the distance towards the end. The whole production, as you say, sounds more like a band. Absolutely love it.
Much appreciated, Wagtunes! This could be in the thread, "Is expensive gear still worth it." I do like the guitars much better in this one. More rock n roll, for lack of a better description. Whole thing sounds more spontaneous, warts and all, haha!

And I'm very impressed with that MLX990 microphone. Buddy bought it for 59 bucks at GC. He does have a few nice Grace preamps. But I also like his first-generation ART Pro VLA compressor. I don't like the Pro VLA II quite as much. This one is kind of invisible in the mix, and it seems I can hear the II working more. He also has that, but we don't use it as much as the early one.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Much appreciated, Wagtunes! This could be in the thread, "Is expensive gear still worth it." I do like the guitars much better in this one. More rock n roll, for lack of a better description. Whole thing sounds more spontaneous, warts and all, haha!

And I'm very impressed with that MLX990 microphone. Buddy bought it for 59 bucks at GC. He does have a few nice Grace preamps. But I also like his first-generation ART Pro VLA compressor. I don't like the Pro VLA II quite as much. This one is kind of invisible in the mix, and it seems I can hear the II working more. He also has that, but we don't use it as much as the early one.
FWIW, I do not think you need expensive gear to make music that sounds great. I think you proved that with this song. And while my stuff doesn't sound nearly as good, everything I do is in the box and cheap as dirt.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobinharris View Post
Wrote this depressing song about 16 years ago lol. It's a bit much.

Trying a new technique where I grab the Izotope Spire and record a vocal/guitar song with single-mic in one take. It's good for sneaking a song in before the kids get home! Then I mess about in Garageband adding layers. This time no metronome so it was a bit tricky.
This is damn cool. The section where you count out the numbers seems a bit corny but i love the whole song.

How did you feel doing such an old song?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snail View Post
Hey Zyz,

I have no constructive feedback -- just to say that I really love this. It's one of my favorite songs and you give it an excellent, laid back vibe that is so cool.

It also never ceases to amaze me that you can do all this on an iPad too.

Coincidentally, I also did a cover of this song just recently. Except mine is instrumental (done on a modular synth). But also an homage to a great song that I love!

Thanks!
That sounds really good!
I guess that hardware just has THAT sound. I struggle to get the separation and space between elements when working ITB.
Loved the performance element.
It's one of those songs which never seems to age and I get the same feeling when I listen to it now.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:

I love this -- pretty "garage" the way it is. Very much to my taste.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I love this -- pretty "garage" the way it is. Very much to my taste.
Thank you Brent. Yes, I'm even liking the random talking and the count in this one, haha! This is no click, which adds to the sense of live feel also, I think. The first, cleaner version, I drummed to click.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thank you Brent. Yes, I'm even liking the random talking and the count in this one, haha! This is no click, which adds to the sense of live feel also, I think. The first, cleaner version, I drummed to click.
I've been doing a back-n-forth with a co-writer on a song, just slapping down ideas with a single 58 over a drum loop. No real point in getting fancy at all. If she says it's cool and I have time a bit later, I'll post the latest incarnation. Guaranteed to lower the roughness bar.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've been doing a back-n-forth with a co-writer on a song, just slapping down ideas with a single 58 over a drum loop. No real point in getting fancy at all. If she says it's cool and I have time a bit later, I'll post the latest incarnation. Guaranteed to lower the roughness bar.
Do post... LOVE to hear it!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

5th track from my upcoming CD "The Cool Cat In The Wind"

If you want to hear some awesome brass and woodwind libraries you'll give this a listen.

Snap Your Cap

Hey boy
I know you're having a bad day
But don't you take it out on me
No way

Don't you snap your cap
Snap your cap
Snap your cap at me
Don't you snap your cap
Snap your cap
Snap your cap at me

Hey boy
I know that life can be real rough
But don't you take me for a fool
Time for you to get tough

Repeat Chorus

Hey boy
It's gonna get better
So don't you use me for a bag
Go brave the weather

Repeat Chorus

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Do post... LOVE to hear it!
The definition of "rough mix" around here has gotten pretty devalued -- everything's so finished and pretty sounding. I'm here to bring back the old, traditional values. This here's what, to my mind, is a rough mix -- a sketch for a song that's in the midst of being bounced back and forth between me and another writer. SM58 in my kid's bedroom, 2-bar drum loop, my Ibanez acoustic. No eq, no reverb, no headphones, no fixes, static mix... rough!
Attached Files

MOAOL-sketch_10-18-19.mp3 (6.64 MB, 307 views)

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The definition of "rough mix" around here has gotten pretty devalued -- everything's so finished and pretty sounding. I'm here to bring back the old, traditional values. This here's what, to my mind, is a rough mix -- a sketch for a song that's in the midst of being bounced back and forth between me and another writer. SM58 in my kid's bedroom, 2-bar drum loop, my Ibanez acoustic. No eq, no reverb, no headphones, no fixes, static mix... rough!
It's funny how, with the quality of today's equipment, a "rough" mix can still sound pretty damn good. This blows away anything I did in 1977. Anyway, very catchy. I like it. Can't wait to hear it "finished" though I like it just the way it is.

Reminds me a little bit of The Spin Doctors.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
It's funny how, with the quality of today's equipment, a "rough" mix can still sound pretty damn good. This blows away anything I did in 1977. Anyway, very catchy. I like it. Can't wait to hear it "finished" though I like it just the way it is.

Reminds me a little bit of The Spin Doctors.
Hey thanks.

And "Snap Your Cap" is a great idea -- would make an excellent hiphop song.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Very cool. Reminiscent of Elvis C in his early pop prime. And definitely rocking the rough demo concept. Clean, but haphazard, yet still selling the song composition totally. This is nice because you can hear this song done a number of different ways. It's not locked in to an arrangement production style. Nice song! Is that you singing?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
5th track from my upcoming CD "The Cool Cat In The Wind"
Yeah man. Original and 100% Wag. You have a style that hangs in through all of your stuff. I do agree with Brent's Hip Hop take on this one. I can see that working, although your personal style sends it up nicely also.

So, I'm interested in your vocals process. I know you were previously using some kind of synthesis, right? Is this an advanced version of that? It sounds quite a bit different from earlier stuff. More fluid.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

First to Burn revised

Hey there so I took another stab at a rough mix of this and tried to make the drums more present and defined and brought the vocal level down overall.. Ducked the guitars manually during the verses...

Still a work in progress but I think the energy is better.. Wag let me know if you think the drums are improved

Overall level is kinda low so crank it up a bit!

Thanks!

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoggin View Post
Hey there so I took another stab at a rough mix of this and tried to make the drums more present and defined and brought the vocal level down overall.. Ducked the guitars manually during the verses...

Still a work in progress but I think the energy is better.. Wag let me know if you think the drums are improved

Overall level is kinda low so crank it up a bit!

Thanks!

Drums are way better. Overall volume sounds fine on this end. Well done all around.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search