The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Post your rough demos
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwaves View Post
Nice vocal, Wags. This song reminds me of something that would have been an a 70s/80s movie.
Yeah, I did an okay job on the vocal on this one. 70s/80s movie? Yeah, that sounds about right given I'm stuck in that era.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
12th track from my upcoming CD "Still Out Of Sync"

Super Mom

She gets the kids up in the morning
Gets them ready for school
Feeds them a good breakfast
Everything's real cool

She goes to work to earn a living
Has a boss who's a creep
But she has to pay the mortgage
So her job she must keep

She's super mom, super mom
Does the best that she can
She's super mom, super mom
Does it without a man

She picks the kids up in the afternoon
Takes them home for a meal
Sees that they do their homework
She keeps it real

Repeat Chorus

Instrumental Break

Repeat Chorus

Fade Out

CRITICAL SELF EVALUATION
1. Subject matter is ridiculous and ultimately we don't find out enough about her to understand why she's a super mom.

2. Musically, it's kind of trite. A little cutesy. Done worse. Done better.

3. Mix is good. Probably the only really good thing about it. Vocals are nice and clear.

4. All in all, just a forgettable song.

That was pretty sweet! I think the character of the song was refreshing to hear and brought back old school vibes. Your self evaluation was hilarious Overall Nice!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg09 View Post
That was pretty sweet! I think the character of the song was refreshing to hear and brought back old school vibes. Your self evaluation was hilarious Overall Nice!
Thanks. The CD itself (took me 4 months to do) is actually completed but as promised, I'm only posting one track a week because I don't want to spam the forum

I will say this. As long as it took me to do this CD, it is not my best work. Yeah, the mixes were done as well as I'm capable of, but ultimately, it's not how long you work on something that determines how good it is musically. I've written much better songs in half the time or less.

I learned a lot from this CD. A good song can come in an instant. A so-so song can be worked on for weeks and still be so-so.

The last song on this CD, is one of my best songs. It was written after my grammar school reunion and thus meant a lot to me. The song was written and finished in 2 days. It's better than songs I've worked on for 7 days.

Inspiration is inspiration. If you have it, magic happens. If not, it doesn't matter what you do.

All in all, I'm disappointed with this CD. It's one of my better productions but musically, meh. Not a lot on this CD really does anything for me.

Just being honest.
Old 3 weeks ago
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlegs View Post
That was cool. It's refreshing to hear something out of the norm. Very haunting tune there. Well done.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
3 Months ago I asked if anyone would be up for recording guitar parts for a Sade cover and both Z and Snail offered.

Snail had the time before Z and went above an beyond, recording not only 12 and 6 string guitars, but also bass, electric guitar, piano chords and other parts too!

In the end, i just went with the two acoustic guitars and kept the piano chords in the chorus. I then added percussion myself as I wanted it to be more or live 3/4 piece acoustic band sound.

I sent the track to the friend who had asked us to record it as an anniversary gift to his wife of 1 year (we know her more than him actually) and he loved it. 5 hours later, we read a post on Facebook from his wife that they are splitting up! Yikes...

Anyway, apart from the surprising and perplexing situation there, we still had fun doing the song and I enjoyed mixing it and doing some of the vocal arrangemnt and all the backing vocals.

A big thanks to Brendan, who is super talented.

Here is the cover. https://soundcloud.com/kanewilliams-1/no-ordinary-love
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
That was different (in a good way). No comments about anything. Nice job.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
This could be in a broadway/West End show.

I would probably have changed the first line to "she wakes the kids..." so you don't have the repeat of the word "gets", but that's just something that jumped out at me.

How's the production music thing going?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
This could be in a broadway/West End show.

I would probably have changed the first line to "she wakes the kids..." so you don't have the repeat of the word "gets", but that's just something that jumped out at me.

How's the production music thing going?
Thanks for the feedback Kane. I've completed the ambient tracks for submission. I'm now going to start on something else. I want to diversify as much as I can because you simply don't know what's going to be in demand. This is going to be an agonizingly slow process. If I have any significant updates, trust me, I'll let everybody know.

I have, however, decided that I can do both. So I've started a new CD titled "The Cool Cat In The Wind." I finally got my Warp IV brass and woodwind libraries. They are amazing. I've never seen so many articulations on a library in my life. I think you will be impressed with the realism of the sound if not the actual songs themselves.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
3 Months ago I asked if anyone would be up for recording guitar parts for a Sade cover and both Z and Snail offered.

Snail had the time before Z and went above an beyond, recording not only 12 and 6 string guitars, but also bass, electric guitar, piano chords and other parts too!

In the end, i just went with the two acoustic guitars and kept the piano chords in the chorus. I then added percussion myself as I wanted it to be more or live 3/4 piece acoustic band sound.

I sent the track to the friend who had asked us to record it as an anniversary gift to his wife of 1 year (we know her more than him actually) and he loved it. 5 hours later, we read a post on Facebook from his wife that they are splitting up! Yikes...

Anyway, apart from the surprising and perplexing situation there, we still had fun doing the song and I enjoyed mixing it and doing some of the vocal arrangemnt and all the backing vocals.

A big thanks to Brendan, who is super talented.

Never heard the original but this sounds really good. I agree, the guitar part is very well done. Sorry to hear they split up.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Thanks for the feedback Kane. I've completed the ambient tracks for submission. I'm now going to start on something else. I want to diversify as much as I can because you simply don't know what's going to be in demand. This is going to be an agonizingly slow process. If I have any significant updates, trust me, I'll let everybody know.

I have, however, decided that I can do both. So I've started a new CD titled "The Cool Cat In The Wind." I finally got my Warp IV brass and woodwind libraries. They are amazing. I've never seen so many articulations on a library in my life. I think you will be impressed with the realism of the sound if not the actual songs themselves.
Which sample player/host do you run it in?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Which sample player/host do you run it in?
Warp IV runs in several players according to the specs. I use Kontakt. The woodwinds have the articulations built into the keyswitching which makes them very easy. The brass, however, uses the old Kontakt system so the articulations are in individual patches. There are a couple of ways to work with them but I prefer the multi track approach. So yeah, if I need 5 articulations for a part, I open up 5 different tracks. It takes some programming but it's worth it given the results.

I could post one of the tracks I've done but I'd rather wait until that week when it comes up in my schedule so I'm not posting more than 1 track a week out of respect to the rest of the forum.

When I do start posting them, I will let you know.

In the meantime, you could go to their site to listen to some of the demos they have there.

http://www.warpivmusic.com/

They're not cheap.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Here's one I've been working on for a while...I wrote and recorded the music then sent a rough instrument track to my co writer. He sent back some lyrics, which I re wrote to change the theme, then I added the vocals. His lyrics were about a woman who chain smoked. But I had recently been on a drag racing web site and had written down a few racing terms like "headed for the traps" "Joker's Lap", etc. So I re wrote the lyrics in a racing theme about a funny car. Then I sent the track to a drummer and replaced the sampled drum track I'd been using with real drums. Then sent it to a friend who has a B3 to get an organ part added. Then I sent it to another musical partner who did the lap steel part.
https://soundcloud.com/biggdbass/she-smokes

Last edited by mbvoxx; 3 weeks ago at 05:09 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbvoxx View Post
Here's one I've been working on for a while...I wrote and recorded the music then sent a rough instrument track to my co writer. He sent back some lyrics, which I re wrote to change the theme, then I added the vocals. His lyrics were about a woman who chain smoked. But I had recently been on a drag racing web site and had written down a few racing terms like "headed for the traps" "Joker's Lap", etc. So I re wrote the lyrics in a racing theme about a funny car. Then I sent the track to a drummer and replaced the sampled drum track I'd been using with real drums. Then sent it to a friend who has a B3 to get an organ part added. Then I sent it to another musical partner who did the lap steel part.
Considering how many times this has been around the block (no pun intended) that sounds pretty good. Hard to believe we can actually make songs now in this manner with relative ease.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Cool track. All sounds great but I thought the lead vocal, although well sung, recorded and EQ'd etc, just sat atop of the mix a little, rather than being sat in it.

Hard to explain, but it's like when comping layers in photoshop or something, the edges to your layer are too defined, like it needs a little blur on the edges. It may be saturation and a hint of ambiance verb that will do it. I like the dryness of it, so the verb would only be very subtle.

I'm not mix expert, so my advice is only a stab in the dark. All sounds very pro though! Nice job.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I was like "how the heck do you take a song about a chainsmoker and make it about a car." Really clever man.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

Note to self, don't gift another woman singing for our anniversary.

Last edited by IGotWorms; 2 weeks ago at 09:31 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I just heard it in some ear buds since I'm not home (sorry) but it sounded good to me! Maybe turn the vocals down a little bit so the other instruments can be heard better? That's just personal preference.
Thanks. I was recording both vocals and guitar with one mic at the same time, so I could move the mic down a bit to blend in more guitar
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotWorms View Post
Still trying to work my way to something that's good enough to make an album.

I recorded "100 years" before i actually played it all the way through. Butchered the ending!
Something really cool about your music.

I feel like the guitar needs to be more "present" and up-front. It sounds like it could be mic'd closer to make it feel more detailed?

The reverbs aren't quite doing it for me. Again, would dial that down a notch or pick something that doesn't drown the vocal as much. I feel this music would work well being slightly more raw and present.

P.S - Don't really know what I'm doing so someone who does could probably give better ideas
Old 3 weeks ago
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

13th track from my upcoming CD "Still Out Of Sync"

A Drop In The Bucket Of Time

Karma is a bitch
It'll make your privates itch
When you're walking down the street
And you have to scratch your feet

So be careful when you walk
And be careful when you talk
And if you should take to crime
Just remember...
You're just a drop in the bucket of time

Karma's got a way
To make you pay and pay
When you feel you need to play
But your friends tell you you're gay

Repeat Chorus

Instrumental Break

Karma always wins
That's when pain it all begins
And your life it don't go well
And your dreams all go to hell

Repeat Chorus

In The Bucket Of Time
In The Bucket Of Time
In The Bucket Of Time
In The Bucket Of Time

CRITICAL SELF EVALUATION

1. My attempt at "alternative" rap. Now you can hear why I don't do rap songs.

2. Musically one of my more unusual songs but can't save my horrible rap.

3. Good mix. But again, can't save my horrible rap.

4. I will never do another one of these EVER again.

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

noodlin

Today's noodling, some chords/notes got lost in translation.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ytjk120evz...down8.wav?dl=0
I'll get back to It later.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobinharris View Post

I tried to focus in on the guitar and lost the vocals. I think it may be time for 2 mics. Very helpful comments thanks!

-------------------------------

Last edited by IGotWorms; 3 weeks ago at 01:02 AM.. Reason: Song removed, not satisfied with lyrics
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodlist View Post
Today's noodling, some chords/notes got lost in translation.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ytjk120evz...down8.wav?dl=0
I'll get back to It later.
Wow very convincing guitar sound FWIW the drums are IMO too loud, but I realize it's rough and all. Got something good going there.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Wow very convincing guitar sound FWIW the drums are IMO too loud, but I realize it's rough and all. Got something good going there.
Thanks for the comment, I agree, the drums are overpowering, they're too loud, they need tweaking and maybe expanding along with a bridge.
Thanks again.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool track. All sounds great but I thought the lead vocal, although well sung, recorded and EQ'd etc, just sat atop of the mix a little, rather than being sat in it.

Hard to explain, but it's like when comping layers in photoshop or something, the edges to your layer are too defined, like it needs a little blur on the edges. It may be saturation and a hint of ambiance verb that will do it. I like the dryness of it, so the verb would only be very subtle.

I'm not mix expert, so my advice is only a stab in the dark. All sounds very pro though! Nice job.
thanks for the comments, I'm doing final mixes today on this and several other songs on this project...will take this into consideration.
Old 2 weeks ago
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Still sounds good to me. I can imagine this for a tear jerker movie soundtrack like when the main character is on her death bed or something.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just wanted to post this update to my track Future. I re-recorded the vocals using an old TC Konnekt 6 and a Behringer Dynamic XM8500 (actually quite nice), but there are lots of pops etc on it etc, but at least I lost the annoying room sound. These vocals are still just scratch vocals though.

I also altered the beat more in the chorus, but I don't think it will satisfy Snail's concerns with that, but I think I have added more energy with mainly extra kicks. I also altered the horns in the chorus.

I'm not happy with the horns or strings yet. I think I will move from using the ensemble in Logic to using individual sections/instruments and see if this adds more scope and realism?

Kane

https://soundcloud.com/kanewilliams-...e-demo/s-FM2hV
Hi Kane!

I think drums- bass and snare- should be up front, vocals more compressed, guitars and percussion much further back (more quiet).

My opinion, of course!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine_Alicia View Post
I`m hoping to make this my next Single, I`d appreciate opinions on it!

Thanks! xx
I think it is a little bit too simple. I thought this would be an intro, then an intro too long, then I realised this is the whole thing... It sounds great in terms of production but it does not develop as a story... there's only one idea repeated. I think if you tried to do two or three more ideas like this you could then try to edit them into one track. It would make it more interesting.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search