The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Post your rough demos
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark View Post
If you're gonna retake it I would start with the verse that begins with the line about the Warden's Victorian room and go from there, and that first verse about the vomit on the old brick wall I'd put after the bit (about 1'40" in?') when you say 'sick ... '
Attached Files

The Riot.mp3 (2.51 MB, 133 views)

Last edited by IGotWorms; 1 day ago at 03:36 AM..
Old 21 hours ago
Lives for gear

8th track from my current CD "Still Out Of Sync"

The Cat's Out Of The Bag

You can't hide your love from me
Like others do
You can't hide your love from me
So better get a clue

It's all out in the open
It's there for all to see
It's shining like a big bright light
Shining there for me

The cat's out of the bag
He's walking around on all fours
The cat's out of the bag
He's sneaking past those closed doors
So don't be such a drag
The cat's out of the bag

You can fool your friends and all
They're too blind to see
But no matter how you fall
You can't fool me

It's all out in the open
As clear as clear as day
It's shining like the sunlight
It'll never go away

Repeat Chorus

Instrumental Break

Repeat Chorus

The cat's out of the bag
The cat's out of the bag
The cat's out of the bag
The cat's out of the bag

Fade Out

CRITICAL SELF EVALUATION

1. Vocals are really bad in verse. Don't know why.

2. Snare may be a little too loud.

3. Guitars may be a little too soft.

4. Mix is clean but missing something.

5. Musically, it's okay but nothing incredible. Chorus kind of cliche.

6. All in all, not really happy with this one. What do you think?

PS - Best part of this song is probably the lyrics. Too bad the rest couldn't be as good.
Old 17 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
8th track from my current CD "Still Out Of Sync"

PS - Best part of this song is probably the lyrics. Too bad the rest couldn't be as good.
Hi Wag

Song and arrangement are all fine and dandy, but the mix is really letting this one down.

OK, so I would say the chorus is where this track sounds it's best! The vocal sound good here and blends nicely with the backing vocals. However, I don't like the vocal mix/processing during the verses. I think I said the same about another track a month or so back. It sounds like you recorded in a bad room with the ic 2 ft from your mouth. I know you like to add a lot a processing to your voice because you don't like it, but I think you do the wrong sort of processing (sometimes). I would use lots of chorus and phasing etc, rather than the reverbs you use. I would have some verb, but as a sweetener, not as a hiding place. Try delays more than verbs. So, the approach works in the chorus, but not in the verse. Get the verse sounding good and different to the chorus and the contrast between both parts will sound great!

Now, for the rest of the mix. I would say it's too polite and almost sounds unprocessed, like stock sounds that are a bit flat and static. Try beefing everything up. More saturation and distortion on everything. Subtle harmonics added to warm and beef some stuff up more subtly and a few tracks with heavier distortion/overdrive will bring this to life I think.

Don't let this one just slip by, look at it with fresh ears and imagine it with more balls!
Old 16 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
When 2004 --
Always enjoy your stuff a lot.

The mic and and EQing you did really suits your voice. A little De-essing wouldn't go a miss but other than that it sounds great and the esses are not bad.

I like the positioning of the instruments. The timing was a bit lose and it felt like it was speeding up and slowing down a bit in places but I'm very sensitive to timing, more than most. It certainly wasn't an issue and added to the charm!

Like it.
Old 16 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotWorms View Post
Your stuff draws a listener in. It's sort of has a hand cranked turntable feel to it that is sort of hypnotic.
Old 15 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Always enjoy your stuff a lot.

The mic and and EQing you did really suits your voice. A little De-essing wouldn't go a miss but other than that it sounds great and the esses are not bad.

I like the positioning of the instruments. The timing was a bit lose and it felt like it was speeding up and slowing down a bit in places but I'm very sensitive to timing, more than most. It certainly wasn't an issue and added to the charm!

Like it.
The timing is what happens with you have no click -- and all the drums are put on many years later -- one finger at a time > on the keys.
Old 14 hours ago
Gear Addict

Any notes on my shot at mastering my latest track, i.e. How does overall balance, width, loudness and dynamics feel to you?

(Got my first chance to sit in the studio since last Friday when my wife gave birth to our firstborn baby boy !! :-) :-) :-)
Attached Files

MY POISON MASTER 23072019.mp3 (7.94 MB, 77 views)

Old 13 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugetsu85 View Post
Any notes on my shot at mastering my latest track, i.e. How does overall balance, width, loudness and dynamics feel to you?

(Got my first chance to sit in the studio since last Friday when my wife gave birth to our firstborn baby boy !! :-) :-) :-)
My comments would be more on the mix rather than the mastering, but it's possible they are related.

The vocal is too far back. The guitars are currently the lead instrument. I would try the vocal at the level of the guitars and the guitars at the level of the current vocal. I also find the snare quite hollow sounding and think it needs more balls.

The whole thing mastering wise sounds like you are close, but may be too heavy handed on the compression as it sounds a bit flat. The timbre is nice, so EQ is probably ok. Stereo width maybe suffering a bit from the compression.

I don't master anything, so I'm not expert here!

Good music as always though.
Old 10 hours ago
Gear Head

Quote:

Congratulations!

I think this may be a case of after several mixes the first one sounds best. In my speakers, the mids are coming across in a unpleasant way. Maybe play with moderate compression on individual tracks(~-5db reduction at most) and leaving the master clean?
Old 8 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Whoa, congratulations! Your guitar playing sounds like it could be good for lullabies
Old 3 hours ago
Quote:

Congratulations man!
Old 2 hours ago
Gear Addict

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!! I think with this master I have a -2db scoop on the mids (probably at 1.5khz, can't remember for sure) using the Waves API550. Maybe that was too drastic. I guess I was trying to achieve some "commercial" polish on the overall sound with that move... I know the mix isn't perfect by no means either, but I want big wall of guitars when the chorus hits. During the verse I wanted to have the lead vocal on top.
Old 33 minutes ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks guys, I appreciate it!! I think with this master I have a -2db scoop on the mids (probably at 1.5khz, can't remember for sure) using the Waves API550. Maybe that was too drastic. I guess I was trying to achieve some "commercial" polish on the overall sound with that move... I know the mix isn't perfect by no means either, but I want big wall of guitars when the chorus hits. During the verse I wanted to have the lead vocal on top.
The lead vocal does not sound on top though, the guitars do.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search