The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Post your rough demos
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Wrote a new one. Wanted to write something a little darker as all my latest songs have been quite cheary sounding. Vocals are very rough and recorded badly in all ways including a very echoey room, but they are just place holders.

Any comments welcome. https://soundcloud.com/kanewilliams-...e-demo/s-FM2hV
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Wrote a new one. Wanted to write something a little darker as all my latest songs have been quite cheary sounding. Vocals are very rough and recorded badly in all ways including a very echoey room, but they are just place holders.

Wow, this is REALLY different for you. Almost doesn't sound like something you'd do. Honestly, gonna take me a while to get used to. Vocals aside, it's very well constructed. And of course the vocals are still better than anything I can put together. Am I hearing the new Mr Funk?

Can't wait to hear this finished and mastered.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Wow, this is REALLY different for you. Almost doesn't sound like something you'd do. Honestly, gonna take me a while to get used to. Vocals aside, it's very well constructed. And of course the vocals are still better than anything I can put together. Am I hearing the new Mr Funk?

Can't wait to hear this finished and mastered.
Haha. I actually feel it's more of a return to stuff I was making a few years ago, only now I'm better at arranging etc.

Glad you think it's well put together, as I know you know how to arrange.

Thanks Wag.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotWorms View Post
Here's one from a "folk songs" book from 1960. Labeled as an "Old American Singing Game"
I really enjoyed that.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:

I see where your going with this, that's gonna be super hard to nail on key! I like the gospel feel. That microphone (if that's why you sounded distant) was distracting.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I see where your going with this, that's gonna be super hard to nail on key! I like the gospel feel. That microphone (if that's why you sounded distant) was distracting.
It's the Macbook pro built in mic and I was in a large echoey room!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Mr. Funk, this is without question, my favorite song of all I've ever heard of yours! I know you say it's rough, but it's golden to my old ears. The bass is especially tasty, and I'm always a fan of the use of silence in tracks. This song is a feat for the ears!

Sorry I'm not savvy enough to offer any technical advice, but as a listener of a lot of music I offer my congratulations on an outstandingly well done song.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you can send me a WAV or AIFF I can have a go

Thanks, Mr. Funk. I just got home from a second day of medical tests so a little drained tonight. The next time I get to the studio I'll send what I have; thank you for the offer! Have a great night.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

When 2004 --
Attached Files

WHEN .mp3 (9.42 MB, 379 views)

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwaves View Post
Mr. Funk, this is without question, my favorite song of all I've ever heard of yours! I know you say it's rough, but it's golden to my old ears. The bass is especially tasty, and I'm always a fan of the use of silence in tracks. This song is a feat for the ears!

Sorry I'm not savvy enough to offer any technical advice, but as a listener of a lot of music I offer my congratulations on an outstandingly well done song.
Well I’m really pleased with the responses to this song and I’m glad you think it’s my best to date.

I’ve not done hardly any processing/mixing. Not EQ’d anything, just some parallel compression on the drums and may be a compressor on another track or two. I have automated some parameters in the end Crystalizer effect and some minimal level automation on a few things. I think once I do a proper mix I should be able to use those “silences” even more, but sounds like the track will not need much else. Cool!

The bass is Waves Bass Fingers btw.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Try cutting with a narrower Q. Or try giving a small lift either side of the area you are cutting. It may not work, but that's what I'd try. You may also be cutting too much. just 2dB on a few tracks may be all that is needed to lose enough mud. Try cutting the frequencies on tracks that you don't hear any mud on, as the low levels of said frequencies can all add up.
Thanks for the tips, appreciate it!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Added some fx to suggest "wind of change", "storm brewing" etc. Has it made it worse or is it ok? https://soundcloud.com/kanewilliams-...e-demo/s-FM2hV
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

For those of you who understand SCOUSE --- those Liverpudlians r
Attached Files

TREACLE SCOUSE.mp3 (5.63 MB, 323 views)

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
Nice one mate! Brought a tear to me eye, then I felt like a fukk'n divvie...

Very evocative love it
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
I could only catch a few words per sentence and I'm not sure if that is because of the scouse accent or the recording/mixing or a mixture of both. I don't normally have problems understanding scousers though.

I did like the vibe of the song though.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Attached Files

The Erie Canal.mp3 (3.33 MB, 277 views)

Last edited by IGotWorms; 1 week ago at 03:57 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Added some fx to suggest "wind of change", "storm brewing" etc. Has it made it worse or is it ok? https://soundcloud.com/kanewilliams-...e-demo/s-FM2hV
Hey Kane I would like to join the others by letting you know that I like this new song a lot. I like the theme of the lyrics as well. There something kind of cool about the lo-fi vocal recording... I know it will not stick with the final track but maybe when you mix the rerecorded vocals you could go for some saturation on them to get some of this same feel.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugetsu85 View Post
Hey Kane I would like to join the others by letting you know that I like this new song a lot. I like the theme of the lyrics as well. There something kind of cool about the lo-fi vocal recording... I know it will not stick with the final track but maybe when you mix the rerecorded vocals you could go for some saturation on them to get some of this same feel.
Good idea, I’ll see what I can do! Thanks
Old 1 week ago
are the "sqeekies" too much in this track?

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine_Alicia View Post

Everybody's tolerance is going to be different, but for me, they tend to be a bit annoying.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

My first ever Christian rock song

Hey dear friends, I’ve worked on this new demo pretty intensively during the last few days. I’ve never before written a song that I would consider to be Christian rock. But with this track it seems like that is what we are dealing with here and truth be told it has been a super inspiring experience.

So please let me know what you think about the song and/or the mix/production, it’s not finished yet so all feedback is greatly appreciated!
Attached Files

MY POISON DEMO MIX 12072019.mp3 (7.86 MB, 234 views)

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine_Alicia View Post

the tracks sounding good Katherine.

just Drop some vocals on top, and edit the arpeggios, to suit the arrangement.

almost sounds like the Pet Shop Boys when the pads kick in.

ha ha

Buddha
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey dear friends, I’ve worked on this new demo pretty intensively during the last few days. I’ve never before written a song that I would consider to be Christian rock. But with this track it seems like that is what we are dealing with here and truth be told it has been a super inspiring experience.

So please let me know what you think about the song and/or the mix/production, it’s not finished yet so all feedback is greatly appreciated!
As someone who listens to Christian Rock a lot, while I like the song, this isn't Christian Rock. At least not any kind of Christian Rock that's on the radio or close to being even remotely mainstream. I'm not sure how I would classify it. Probably an offshoot of Alternative Rock.

Anyway, sounds good so far. Nothing sticks out as needing any major kind of fixing except maybe the vocals are a little dry. Other than that, sounds fine.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
Nice one mate! Brought a tear to me eye, then I felt like a fukk'n divvie...

Very evocative love it

Ta Verrry Muuuch
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I could only catch a few words per sentence and I'm not sure if that is because of the scouse accent or the recording/mixing or a mixture of both. I don't normally have problems understanding scousers though.

I did like the vibe of the song though.
He was born in Liverpool ... 1950....

Wanted it to sound Vaudevillian -- or 1930's UK

A 58 off about 20 feet from the singer ...and a megaphone
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
As someone who listens to Christian Rock a lot, while I like the song, this isn't Christian Rock. At least not any kind of Christian Rock that's on the radio or close to being even remotely mainstream. I'm not sure how I would classify it. Probably an offshoot of Alternative Rock.

Anyway, sounds good so far. Nothing sticks out as needing any major kind of fixing except maybe the vocals are a little dry. Other than that, sounds fine.

Thanks Wags! Would you be kind enough to further elaborate on how Christian rock is to be understood in the context that you are familiar with? I've not listened to a lot of Christian rock myself, only a couple of bands like Flyleaf and P.O.D come to mind. Those bands are very different from each other in terms of sound and style but I would've thought both could be classified as Christian rock. But maybe I have an incorrect understanding of the concept.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Wags! Would you be kind enough to further elaborate on how Christian rock is to be understood in the context that you are familiar with? I've not listened to a lot of Christian rock myself, only a couple of bands like Flyleaf and P.O.D come to mind. Those bands are very different from each other in terms of sound and style but I would've thought both could be classified as Christian rock. But maybe I have an incorrect understanding of the concept.
I would think that 'Christian rock' would be any form of pop/rock music wherein the subject matter of the lyrics relate to christian ideology, I don't think the musical genre/style is a defining factor....it's all about the narrative of the lyric ....IMO of course.

By the way, love the track....put me in mind of Radiohead circa 'The Bends' which is one of my favourite albums.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The problem is with the lyrics to your song. The only way I can explain it is to post a ton of examples of Christian Rock songs so you can listen to the lyrics and I'm sure that's the last thing you want to do.

Contemporary Christian Rock lyrics are hopeful, inspiring, uplifting. Your lyrics are dark. They are closer to death metal than Christian Rock.

I wish I could be more explicit than that but without actually posting examples of what I mean and going into in depth analysis of the lyrics of each song, this is pretty much the best that I can do.

I'd rather not get much into it beyond that because then we're getting into theology and faith and all that stuff and when you start talking about religion on a public forum, that's when you get into trouble, which is something I am desperately trying to avoid these days.

If you want to discuss this privately, you can PM me and I'll be happy to discuss it with you.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
The problem is with the lyrics to your song. The only way I can explain it is to post a ton of examples of Christian Rock songs so you can listen to the lyrics and I'm sure that's the last thing you want to do.

Contemporary Christian Rock lyrics are hopeful, inspiring, uplifting. Your lyrics are dark. They are closer to death metal than Christian Rock.

I wish I could be more explicit than that but without actually posting examples of what I mean and going into in depth analysis of the lyrics of each song, this is pretty much the best that I can do.

I'd rather not get much into it beyond that because then we're getting into theology and faith and all that stuff and when you start talking about religion on a public forum, that's when you get into trouble, which is something I am desperately trying to avoid these days.

If you want to discuss this privately, you can PM me and I'll be happy to discuss it with you.
Okay thanks, I appreciate it. I think this is enough for me to sufficiently understand what you are saying! :-) Anyway with reference to Christian rock I meant to be straight with fact that the lyrical theme of this particular song deals with subject matter familiar to those who are familiar with the Christian imagery. So I understood the concept similarly of how @ clump put it (Thanks for the compliments sir!)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Its nice to hide from emotions while trying to write stories.
Man these recordings of yours are sounding better by the day! I don't know what your plans are as regards to your musical endeavors but I would gladly hear some more contemporary stuff from you as well.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search